Home Non Cigar Related
Options

UP THE IRONS!

Comments

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    As a whole, I think this is probably their strongest album since Seventh Son. It is somewhat of a departure, I agree with that, and it took a few listens for me to start feeling it, but I really like the album a lot. I think refreshing is a good word to use after MoLaD, which I liked but to me it was very dense and serious, this album is more fun.
    Agree with all of this. In fact, I didnt realize that I had the same reaction to this as I did Seventh Son upon first listen - "What... the he11.... is THIS???".

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Do you have a favorite song from the new album Glen? I really dig Mother of Mercy, I think that's a great song.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    "By the cigars they smoke and the composers they love, ye shall know the texture of men's souls". James Galsworthy." ....Rock on Garth!
  • Options
    "Mother of Mercy" is a great pick, and I think its definitely got the best lyrics on the disc.

If forced to pick a favorite from TFF, I would have to go with "When The Wild Wind Blows". Great mellow song to just kick back and relax to, and if you pay attention to the musicianship its pretty stunning IMHO. As much as Ive always admired Maiden's abilities, I really never imagined they could (would?) put out something like this song.

I also like "Isle of Avalon" and "Coming Home" a lot.

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    A friend of mine just sent me a CD that he thought I would like, he burned it himself. It was a CD of Maiden Classics ..... I took advantage of a Beautiful Sunny Nor Call Day and Having the Wifes BEamer with DOuble Moonroof and her BOSE Surround SOund Stero to take a Back roads drive... CRANKING UP THAT Maiden CD.......
    *** I MISS DIANO! Not that he made Tons of Maiden Music but Because he is the MAN that Made me fall in Love with Iron Maiden... I Mean DAMN The original Iron Maiden ALbum is STill My Favorite Metal ALbum of all TIME! Phantom Of the Opera , Sanctuary, Running Free and Iron Maiden , let alone the rest...... I saw Maiden with Diano in the AGora on High STreet in Columbus Ohio..... Knowone knew who they were.... BLOWED ME AWAY! Then Ozzy saw them and put them on Tour , then Priest , Metallica they played with everyone........ Then all the Big Bands got tired of them Blowing them offf the stage so they Went out on thier own..... Now Look at them......... Crazy I mean Im all Jacked up from that drive and Listening to the old stuff THAT WAS MAIDEN.... latley they have been getting all RUSH COMPLEX on us..... Simplify it Guys! Go back to the ROOTS! YEAH YEAH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH Iron Maidens Gona Get you !
  • Options
    Uhhhhh.... first the bad news Oz....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3407432/Former-Iron-Maiden-singer-faces-jail-after-exposure-as-benefits-cheat.html

On the good news front, I agree with you about DiAnno - more than I ever thought I would anyway. Have grown to like that era much more than I did in my youth. The songs from the Iron Maiden and Killers records, no matter HOW well sung by Dickinson, just dont sound right. LOL

LMAO!!! Rush complex.... LOLOL

• Options
    That's awesome Ozzie. I love Di'Anno era Maiden, such a raw and powerful sound. Killers is among my favorite metal albums. I doubt anyone that calls themselves a Maiden fan can disagree with Iron Maiden, Wrathchild, Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Running Free, Sanctuary...so many great songs. I love the music they've done with Bruce, but the Di'Anno albums will always hold a special place in my heart.

I don't know about the Rush complex...I mean I see where you're going with that, but I think they've put out some of the most well crafted music and the strongest lyrics in the past 10 years compared with the entirety of their catalogue. Not saying it's better, but just that I think it's more complete. Still love the old stuff, Beast, Powerslave, Seventh Son...I guess what I'm getting at is that I just love Iron Maiden...except for the Blaze era, just can't get into more than a couple songs from that dark period.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    That's awesome Ozzie. I love Di'Anno era Maiden, such a raw and powerful sound. Killers is among my favorite metal albums. I doubt anyone that calls themselves a Maiden fan can disagree with Iron Maiden, Wrathchild, Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Running Free, Sanctuary...so many great songs. I love the music they've done with Bruce, but the Di'Anno albums will always hold a special place in my heart.

I don't know about the Rush complex...I mean I see where you're going with that, but I think they've put out some of the most well crafted music and the strongest lyrics in the past 10 years compared with the entirety of their catalogue. Not saying it's better, but just that I think it's more complete. Still love the old stuff, Beast, Powerslave, Seventh Son...I guess what I'm getting at is that I just love Iron Maiden...except for the Blaze era, just can't get into more than a couple songs from that dark period.
    THERE WAS NO BLAZE ERA!!!

THOU SHALT NOT BLASPHEME ON THE UP THE IRONS THREAD!!!

SPEAK OF THIS NO MORE...

• Options
    I have seen the error of my ways and repent. That period of time that doesn't exist shall heretofore be referred to as "The Wasted Years". See what I did there? Wink [;)]
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I like "The Clansman," but only when Bruce sings it.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I have seen the error of my ways and repent. That period of time that doesn't exist shall heretofore be referred to as "The Wasted Years". See what I did there? Wink [;)]
    You mean using the title of one of my favorite Maiden tunes to blaspheme???

Yeah Joe... I see.... LOL :-D

• Options
    "My son, ask for thyself another kingdom, for that which I leave is too small."

• Options
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:

Well...since I can't dig myself out of this one...a peace offering? Big Smile [:D]

Wasted Years

• Options
    The Sniper:
    "My son, ask for thyself another kingdom, for that which I leave is too small."

Alexander! Great song, great album.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Truly one of my Favorite Lyrical SOngs That Maiden has doen In all the times I have seen them Live I have only heard or seen this song done 2 times live what a shame!

"Suffocation waking in a sweat
    Scared to fall asleep again
    In case the dream begins again
    Someone chasing I cannot move
    Standing rigid a nightmare's statue
    What a dream when will it end
    And will it transcend"
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:

Well...since I can't dig myself out of this one...a peace offering? Big Smile [:D]

Wasted Years

All is forgiven amigo! :-)

• Options
    Yeah, Ive always felt that Somewhere in Time was an overlooked album.

Twas many years ago that I left home & came this way,
    I was a young man full of hopes and dreams.
    But now it seems to me that all is lost and nothing gained,
    Sometimes things arent what they seem.

• Options
    I think a lot of people didn't like it because they used a lot of guitar synths and stuff like that. Personally, I love the whole album: Heaven Can Wait, Wasted Years, Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner, etc.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Yea.. It's one of my favorite albums for sure
  • Options
    Like the eagle and the dove
    Fly so high on wings above
    When all you see can only bring you sadness
    Like a river we will flow
    On towards the sea we go
    When all you do can only bring you sadness
    Out on the sea of madness
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    JCizzle:
    Like the eagle and the dove
    Fly so high on wings above
    When all you see can only bring you sadness
    Like a river we will flow
    On towards the sea we go
    When all you do can only bring you sadness
    Out on the sea of madness
    Hellz yeah! Here's some lyrics from another Maiden album that I never thought got enough love...

Another prophet of disaster, who says this ship is lost.
    Another prophet of disaster, leaving you to count the cost.
    Taunting us with visions, afflicting us with fear,
    Predicting war for millions, in the hope that one appears.

That song came on satellite radio while I was out & about today - the volume immediately went to ELEVEN! :-D

• Options

• Options
    Nice choice!!

If you're gonna cry, just move along, if you're gonna die, you're gonna die!

They have so many good war anthems.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    The Final Frontier just grows on me more and more as I listen to it, I don't think there is a bad song on there, far from it in fact, I think they're all quite good. If they put out this quality of music, I hope they stick around for a while yet, even if they don't tour as much...though I'd love to catch them on tour at least a couple more times.
  • Options
    Well, at least you're in a position (southern CA) to possibly catch them if they do decide to keep touring. Seems like the last few times they hit the road, they went to FL & CA & the rest of the US be damned. I think I remember reading Bruce is p1ssed off from a lack of support from US fans for anything past Brave New World & doesnt want to tour here at all. Sure wish they remember they have a ton of fans here who would love to see them again.

• Options
    I saw them last year in Phoenix where they had the "last 10 years" tour. The crowd was really into it and very responsive. Must have been an overall lack of support, that's too bad...
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    Well, at least you're in a position (southern CA) to possibly catch them if they do decide to keep touring. Seems like the last few times they hit the road, they went to FL & CA & the rest of the US be damned. I think I remember reading Bruce is p1ssed off from a lack of support from US fans for anything past Brave New World & doesnt want to tour here at all. Sure wish they remember they have a ton of fans here who would love to see them again.

They sell out shows...isn't that enough reason for them to tour the entire US, or at least most of it? I don't get it, but I guess they've gotta do what they've gotta do.
  • Options
    Give me a sense of wonder,
    To wonder if I'm free.
    To know I can be!

Give me the strength to hold my head up,
    Spit back in their face!
    Don't need no key to unlock this door, Gonna break down the walls, break out of this bad place...

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    The Sniper:
    To wonder if I'm free.
    To know I can be!

Give me the strength to hold my head up,
    Spit back in their face!
    Don't need no key to unlock this door, Gonna break down the walls, break out of this bad place...

Thought I was the only one who liked that album
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    Thought I was the only one who liked that album
    Seventh Son??? You gotta be kidding me - its an absolute CLASSIC in every sense of the word.