Light 'em up.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    CMSOTD:

Run, live to fly, fly to live....
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Running free was an awesome addition, but aside from there's been a startling lack of Paul D'Ianno era Maiden. Submitted for your approval: Women in Uniform.

As an aside, I've long thought this song doesn't sound particularly Iron Maiden, even taken together with the thought that the first two albums kind of lacked a Maiden identity. I didn't know this before today, but Women is a cover of a Skyhooks' original, thus explaining why it doesn't sound particularly Maiden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tP84NGbOBQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Options
    j0z3r:
    Running free was an awesome addition, but aside from there's been a startling lack of Paul D'Ianno era Maiden. Submitted for your approval: Women in Uniform.

As an aside, I've long thought this song doesn't sound particularly Iron Maiden, even taken together with the thought that the first two albums kind of lacked a Maiden identity. I didn't know this before today, but Women is a cover of a Skyhooks' original, thus explaining why it doesn't sound particularly Maiden.

Women in Uniform, Cizzler Approved.

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Paul D'ianno fan, however, I will take your suggestion into account. That's not to say I'm not a fan of those early albums. Afterall, Steve Harris is the driving force behind the band, and I can always hear his writing in the music. I believe he wrote every song on the first album; I love the way they sound live nowadays when they play them.

To me, those early albums had a slight punk influence, but not enough to turn me off (because I hate punk).
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    JCizzle:
    j0z3r:

Women in Uniform, Cizzler Approved.

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Paul D'ianno fan, however, I will take your suggestion into account. That's not to say I'm not a fan of those early albums. Afterall, Steve Harris is the driving force behind the band, and I can always hear his writing in the music. I believe he wrote every song on the first album; I love the way they sound live nowadays when they play them.

To me, those early albums had a slight punk influence, but not enough to turn me off (because I hate punk).
    Obviously Bruce is #1, not only is he the voice of Maiden, but he fronted the absolute best songs they've done save for Wrathchild, Killers and Running Free.

Agreed on the punk influence, and I think that's why I'll always be a fan of D'Ianno era Maiden...when I'm in a "git up n go" mood, there are few things finer to me than old punk, the Ramones get me pumped like no other. But this is a Maiden thread, so I'll leave that talk for another time and place.
  • Options
    Also, I'd like to mention the song "Iron Maiden." Those harmony guitars opening up are epic.

I guess a good example of Steve's songwriting transcending a limited vocalist is the song "The Clansman." I don't like the song with Blaze Bailey singing it, but when they play it live with Bruce, it's just another good ol' Maiden song, because at the root, it's just Steve's song.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    CMSOTD: This one is for j0z3r, Murders in the Rue Morgue!

There's some people coming down the street at last someone heard my call I can't understand why they're pointing at me I never done nothing at all. But I got some blood on my hands because everybody's shouting at me I can't speak French so I couldn't explain and like a fool I started running away.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Now I've got one for JCizzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsRSvCCFl0
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Call me crazy but I loved Bruce's 1st solo album
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34eQE19wTe8
  • Options
    Bruce definitely did some quality solo work. I love Tears of the Dragon.
  • Options
    Ugh, links are blocked here at work but I promise I will look when I get home. I'm sure they are fine choices. In the meantime, I will pick out another Maiden tune of the day...
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    CMSOTD: I've picked out a fantastic tune for ya'll today...

Phantom of the Opera!!!

I've been looking so long for you now you won't get away from my grasp
    You've been living so long in hiding in hiding behind that false mask
    And you know and I know that you ain't got long now to last
    Your looks and your feelings are just the remains of your past

Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Loving it, that opening riff blows me away every time. Lyrics aside, the music Mr. Harris and co. write is amazing, and the way they play it is second to none.

I counter your phantom with another classic: Killers.

You walk through the subway, his eyes burn a hole in your back
    a footstep behind you, he lunges prepare for attack
    scream, for mercy, he laughs as he watches you bleed
    killer, behind you, his bloodlust defies all his needs.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Killers, good choice. Was just listening to that one yesterday.

Mr. Harris and co, but primarily Harris as the writer. ;)

...incidently, he's a West Ham supporter.

Light 'em up.
  • Options
    CMSOTD: One that doesn't get much love but is classic Maiden...

Childhood's End!

No hope, no life, just pain and fear
    No food, no love, just greed is here

Light 'em up.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    I will be thinking of all of you when I up the Irons Live for the 28th time since I first Saw Iron Maiden in 1981 In Columbus Ohio with the Original Line Upo in a Small yet Famous Concert Club Called the Agora! Iron Maiden's Gona Get you!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    by the way those are Dead Center 26th row! Outdoors! YES!
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I will be thinking of all of you when I up the Irons Live for the 28th time since I first Saw Iron Maiden in 1981 In Columbus Ohio with the Original Line Upo in a Small yet Famous Concert Club Called the Agora! Iron Maiden's Gona Get you!
    Photobucket
    Damn nice pick up Oz.
  • Options
    I bought them on Stub Hub before they went on sale, I Paid 115.00 Each for 45.00 Tickets but WTF..... Its Maiden and I got them, It was sold out in 10 minutes! LOL
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    AAAAAWESOME OZ! Glad to hear you will be in attendance, and hope to get some kickass pics of the show out of you & j0z3r too!

• Options
    j0z3r:
    Now I've got one for JCizzle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsRSvCCFl0
    Now you're speaking my language! (sorry for the delay)
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Awesome pickup Oz. I'll be seeing them in Irvine 6 days after you. I was able to get my tix on IMFC presale, got a wicked pair too...center stage, about midway back, had similar seats before and they're perfect.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Awesome pickup Oz. I'll be seeing them in Irvine 6 days after you. I was able to get my tix on IMFC presale, got a wicked pair too...center stage, about midway back, had similar seats before and they're perfect.

YEAH MAN! Im Psyched up! Hope to catch some Killer Shots and a Video or three !
  • Options
    CMSOTD: Off of the Dance of Death album, here's another underrated one, Rainmaker! m/,

You tell me we can start the rain.
    You tell me that we all can change.
    You tell me we can find something to wash the tears away.

Light 'em up.
  • Options
    CMSOTD: This one has special meaning for me. Always enjoy what you have and remember that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. This is Different World.

Tell me what you can hear
    And then tell me what you see
    Everybody has a different way
    To view the world

I would like you to know
    When you see the simple things
    To appreciate this life
    It's not too late to learn

Don't want to be here
    Somewhere I'd rather be But when I get there
    I might find it's not for me

Light 'em up.
  • Options
    CMSOTD: Today, a classic, Flight of Icarus!!

Fly on your way like an eagle,
    Fly as high as the sun,
    On your way, like an eagle,
    Fly touch the sun.

Light 'em up.
  • Options
    Whatchall know about some Judas Be My Guide?! m/,

Up the Irons!!

Light 'em up.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Wow, Cizzle has been carrying this thread solo for a WHILE now! Allow me to chime in...

Now it's clear and I know what I have to do
    I must take you down there to look at them too
    Hand in hand then we'll jump right into the pool
    Can't you see not just me they want you too.

Oh...we'll drown together
    It...will be forever.

Nightmares...forever calling me
    Nightmares...Now we rest in peace.