Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any golfers out there?

Comments

• Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    How did I not see this thread before? I love the game of golf, been playing for 12 years and will play til the day I die. Played 4 years in high school, played on a junior tour back home my sophomore year as well. Worked at a golf course back home for 5 years, just love it. Haven't gotten out to play much because of work lately but can't wait to knock the rust off the ol' sticks.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Played 18 tonight, usually play Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sunday, when in town if outta town play in the am before teaching. Carry a 14 hcp:-) :-) :-) What is nice when the boys come home, wife is like you should golf more!! Right on. :-) :-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I wish I could play that much Mike, you are now my official hero
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    Lost my iron swing last couple rounds been brutal!
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    marineatbn03:

I have been leaving my R7 Draw home... Had my driver... lost my driver... had it... lost it. I have been playing my 3W from the box....
  • Options
    I have a driver that I can't hit wrong. But my irons, they suck, and need to be replaced.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Cant go wrong with a good set of taylormades
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I had the pleasure of growing up the son of a club pro. I got to play for free as a kid, so I played all the time. When my dad got out of the business I pretty much quit playing, seeing as I had to pay for it. I really picked it up again in college. When I graduated I took a job here in Farmington, NM home of Pinon Hills which gets ranked in the top 5 municipal courses in the nation by Golfweek. Since I moved here I've played the living **** out of some golf and have got my handicap down to a 3.2. I am a complete golf bum. I flyfish too and the San Juan River is nearby. I've only been fishing twice in the past 6 months. Completely degenerate golfer I tell you... being a gov't worker I have to hustle a little to make ends meet. LOL
  • Options
    marineatbn03:
    I have a driver that I can't hit wrong. But my irons, they suck, and need to be replaced.
    like discussed before, get fitted!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    MVW67:
    marineatbn03:

I have been leaving my R7 Draw home... Had my driver... lost my driver... had it... lost it. I have been playing my 3W from the box....
    i hear you on that --- i'll go to the range and solely work on my driver -- then thinking i got it down i'll pull it out on the tee and then guess where the ball usually goes?
    O.B.

I've given up on that fvcking thing - 3W all the way!! LOL
    I have been getting better with the 3W too though - i can usually hit it 215ish, almost dead straight. so i figure why change it up if that's working, ya know?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Love this thread! I am a fair weather player and as such my golf game gets pretty good around August/September and then fades into non existence for six or seven months and then, rinse and repeat starting in May. I usually have one or the other goign pretty well. Driver can't miss and can't hit S%^T with the irons or the other way around, btu my overall short game and putting are pretty good. Playing 36 holes between Friday and Saturday. Best part here is you can tee off before 6am and finish before the real heat sets in. Sacramento in the summer, especially the way this summer is shaping up, is brutal after 11am. Hit em' long and straight!
  • Options
    MVW67:
    marineatbn03:
    like discussed before, get fitted!
    I am going to, that place you told me about is only about 50 minutes from the house!
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Just had my Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport refinished with all black and green paintfill for $40...plus he buffed out the small dings...

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm curious how you guys practice at the range. I was talking to a golfing chum and he said he will simulate being on the course at the range. For example, he will first hit the Driver, then an approach shot (5-9) , then finally a chip or two. Then rinse, wash and repeat. For me, I start at the PW, and work my up every other iron (PW, 9, 7, 5, 3, etc.) and do the driver last. I've started trying his technique but haven't been able to hit the course nor the range in quite some time due to work travelling. What do all of you do?
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I uually focus on one club at a time,, I often start out with my 7 iron and see how that goes, Usually bout 10 shouts each give or take, then 5 then 3 then drivers, at the end Ill try my pitching and then move to the putting greens
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I usually wait till the blade of the windmill is just at the door
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Direwolf:
    I usually wait till the blade of the windmill is just at the door
    haha...reminds me of "I hate that clown. YEAH!! YOU'RE GONNA DIE, CLOWN!!!"
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I started playing golf at 14. I've never been great at it, just good. In high school I would work as a "Cart Jockey" at a few of the local CCs and resort courses. My best game playing the ball down with zero mulligans was 78 on a par 70 course. I'm now pushing 40 and haven't been able to play in about 4 years due to a wrecked back. I really miss it. I'm praying that my upcoming back surgery will correct it enough to eventually get back out on the course again. I know that I'll never be a big hitter again, but if I could get out there and play 18 without destroying myself, I'll be a happy man.
  • Options
    My step-grandfather is 82 and the guy still wins tourney's and drives a 300 yd ball. It is absolutely incredible to watch, not to mention he is the great grand son of Devil Anse.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    marineatbn03:
    My step-grandfather is 82 and the guy still wins tourney's and drives a 300 yd ball. It is absolutely incredible to watch, not to mention he is the great grand son of Devil Anse.
    Well there you go, Kevin Costner played Devil Anse and Tin Cup, you've got it in your blood son! Oh, wait a second you said step-grandfather...nevermind
  • Options
    Yeah, not in the blood, but it can be quite embarrassing to be out driven by a guy more than half you senior.
  • Options
    I usually start with a 56 degree wedge and hit quarter shots then half shots then full shots 25/50/100 yards to warm up. Next I'll move to a 9 iron and hit 10 or so, then a 6 iron 10 or so, 4 iron 10 or so, then 4 wood 5 or 6, then driver 5 to 10 times. After that I move back down through the bag 3 hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, pitching wedge, and finish with 56/60 degree wedge as many balls as I have left. That would be to warm up before a round, but if I'm out just practicing I will try to stick to a few clubs that I feel need some work. Chipping and putting is a must. If you shoot 80 with 35 putts you know where the problem is and what you should be working on.

When I play in the evenings after work I keep track of fairways hit, greens hit, and putts to try and figure out what area of my game needs the most work.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Just had my Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport refinished with all black and green paintfill for $40...plus he buffed out the small dings...

That sir is a fine specimin. I currently putt with a heavy scotty kombi S, but am the proud owner of an old beat up scotty before he started working with Titleist.
    It ain't worth a damn really, but the sentimental value is priceless.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    pelirrojo:
    Shaun.Harrison87:

That sir is a fine specimin. I currently putt with a heavy scotty kombi S, but am the proud owner of an old beat up scotty before he started working with Titleist.
    That is an AWESOME putter! WOW!
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    pelirrojo:
    Shaun.Harrison87:

They are AWESOME putters! Never thought of having blade touched up!! WOW!
    Nice one dudes, Had a blade up till last year, then wife came home with the Ody White Ice Putter, It's hard to believe that she even picked out such a perfectly match putter and haven't looked back. I do have to take the old blade down and stroke it once awhile just in case!!
  • Options
    Well gentlemen, I just hit a milestone in my golfing career. I shot 1 under today from the tips on a golf course that golf digest just named one of the top 10 places to play for under 50 bucks. This was my first ever complete round under par. I was playing a matchplay match against a a very consistent scratch golfer and politely handed him his ass on a silver platter 5 and 4. I'm moving on to the semifinals in our local matchplay bracket. Started with 32 and we're down to the final 4. I don't mean to toot my own horn but BEEP BEEP!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    Well gentlemen, I just hit a milestone in my golfing career. I shot 1 under today from the tips on a golf course that golf digest just named one of the top 10 places to play for under 50 bucks. This was my first ever complete round under par. I was playing a matchplay match against a a very consistent scratch golfer and politely handed him his ass on a silver platter 5 and 4. I'm moving on to the semifinals in our local matchplay bracket. Started with 32 and we're down to the final 4. I don't mean to toot my own horn but BEEP BEEP!
    Dude! thats awesome! I was pumped last year just playing a full round without having a double boggie! Great job.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    firetruckguy:
    pelirrojo:
    Dude! thats awesome! I was pumped last year just playing a full round without having a double boggie! Great job.

Well done!
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99:
    firetruckguy:
    pelirrojo:

Well done!
    Sweet, congrats, getting ready for city tournament and member guest at the club, next couple weeks! :-)