Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Movies.

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched a few documentaries this weekend while packing boxes .... the one that really stuck out to me was Into Eternity, "This hiding place should never be disturbed" (2009).
    It examines the issues surrounding long-term nuclear waste storage and focuses on the construction of the Onkalo facility in Finland ... certainly worth a watch if you have an hour to spare.

Watch the film online here
    Film's official website

Synopsis
    Every day, the world over, large amounts of high-level radioactive waste created by nuclear power plants is placed in interim storages, which are vulnerable to natural disasters, man-made disasters, and to societal changes. In Finland the world's first permanent repository is being hewn out of solid rock - a huge system of underground tunnels - that must last 100,000 years as this is how long the waste remains hazardous.

Once the waste has been deposited and the repository is full, the facility is to be sealed off and never opened again. Or so we hope, but can we ensure that? And how is it possible to warn our descendants of the deadly waste we left behind? How do we prevent them from thinking they have found the pyramids of our time, mystical burial grounds, hidden treasures? Which languages and signs will they understand? And if they understand, will they respect our instructions? While gigantic monster machines dig deeper and deeper into the dark, experts above ground strive to find solutions to this crucially important radioactive waste issue to secure mankind and all species on planet Earth now and in the near and very distant future.

Captivating, wondrous and extremely frightening, this feature documentary takes viewers on a journey never seen before into the underworld and into the future

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    hmmm, interesting subject, Ill be sure to check it out. Curious if the film mentions Hanford, WA, which supplied the plutonium used for the Manhattan Project and for the FAT MAN. they have been cleaning up the site for years and rumor has it that traces of radioactive waste leaked into the groundwater around the installation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site

###edit ### trace amounts = 1 million us gallons
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    hmmm, interesting subject, Ill be sure to check it out. Curious if the film mentions Hanford, WA, which supplied the plutonium used for the Manhattan Project and for the FAT MAN. they have been cleaning up the site for years and rumor has it that traces of radioactive waste leaked into the groundwater around the installation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site

###edit ### trace amounts = 1 million us gallons
    Not really - most of the focus is on the Onkalo facility and how should we (as humans) design, build, and maintain/mark a site that will last for 100,000 years. And how do we communicate to future generations that the place/spent nuclear fuel is dangerous and how do we warn future people to stay away/keep out.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Saw Red Tails and Battleship Not new releases but I thought worthy of mention..Enjoyed both,, Battleship more
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    This is going to be awesome!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Teege:
    This is going to be awesome!!
    I hope so... the trailer seems cool. I am just hoping I don't have to sit through another movie about a "super" hero feeling sorry for himself like in batman. Don't get me wrong I like the nolan batman films but TDKR had a much more than I wanted whiny batman.

btw I really enjoyed battleship too, sure it was corny but it was what I expected it to be. I think a lot of people lost that, um, it's the summer, don't expect much.

I did see the hobbit the other day in HFR 3d with dolby atoms. I really liked it, though not as much as fellowship, however I knew going in I wouldn't get LOTR. I look forward to the next two.
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Did hobbit in 3d make you sick with the faster frame rates I have heard a lot of people don't like it or it makes them sick. (The 3d not the movie)
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Anyone see Red Dawn yet? Thoughts?
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    Anyone see Red Dawn yet? Thoughts?
    Haven't seen it, but it is rocking a solid 11%/3% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's Gigli/Pluto Nash territory... Probably going to wait for Netflix or Redbox
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    Watched flowers of war the other day day on netflix. It was gripping to say the least. Especially if your into history . It sheds. Light on what westerners did for the chinese people during the rape of nanking. The story itself is fictional but similar events happened... sadly.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    i think barry gordys the last dragon
    Is that the one with Bruce LeRoy lol.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaetano7890:
    twistedstem:
    i think barry gordys the last dragon
    Is that the one with Bruce LeRoy lol.
    yes and I love that movie lol
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Watched a few of the animated DC comics movies over Christmas.

And also watched the Expendables 2... Turned out campy.

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Watched scrooged for the first time in a long time the other day. Such classic 80's glory
  • Options
    Watched Abraham Lincoln "vampire killer" the other day... meh..
    gonna try to see Django this weekend..
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Watched Abraham Lincoln "vampire killer" the other day... meh..
    gonna try to see Django this weekend..
    I expected less than nothing out of ALVH so I actually somewhat enjoyed it due to how low I thought of it going in lol Can't wait to see Django! Lemme know how it is. No details though :p
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Saw Django, thought it was cool. Probably one of my fav's from Mr. T. I liked pulp and jacki brown a bit more but it's in my top 4 of his films. It was a bit weird with all the N words. Funny how that is what was strange to me but not all of the other stuff. Eh, I recommend it though.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody see the new Bond? Worth it?
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Bigshizza:
    The wife & I saw it this evening. I liked it, and would say it's worth going, but it wasn't the best Bond film. Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond, but in many ways this film was very different from most other 007 films. We very much enjoyed it, but, without giving up much of the story, just expect much of the old famaliar elements to be placed in a very different context. The ending isn't what you'd expect, and we thought there a few very big holes in the plot.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    Bigshizza:
    The wife & I saw it this evening. I liked it, and would say it's worth going, but it wasn't the best Bond film. Daniel Craig is my favorite Bond, but in many ways this film was very different from most other 007 films. We very much enjoyed it, but, without giving up much of the story, just expect much of the old famaliar elements to be placed in a very different context. The ending isn't what you'd expect, and we thought there a few very big holes in the plot.
    Hmmm I may see it tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback bro!!
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Saw it. Liked it as an action flick, but still don't think it has the right "Bond feel". That's how I've felt about all the Craig Bond films. And, I thought the film was really just trying to get to a certain result with one character for future films. Can't say more without going spoiler crazy.

But I loved the new Q.

Also saw the new Hobbit, and enjoyed it for the most part, but I'm a Tolkien fanatic and despite capturing the right feel in many ways, some changes did make me cringe--more so than similar changes did with the LOTR films.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Went opening day for this one. It was fantastic!
  • Options
    Martel:
    Bigshizza:
    Saw it. Liked it as an action flick, but still don't think it has the right "Bond feel". That's how I've felt about all the Craig Bond films. And, I thought the film was really just trying to get to a certain result with one character for future films. Can't say more without going spoiler crazy.

But I loved the new Q.

Also saw the new Hobbit, and enjoyed it for the most part, but I'm a Tolkien fanatic and despite capturing the right feel in many ways, some changes did make me cringe--more so than similar changes did with the LOTR films.
    Funny cause I kida felt the same was bout the Bond movie,, great flick but not my fav Bond movie..
    What I would really like to know, is how good of a job did they do on Smaug and the Dragon lair in the Hobbit???????
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    What I would really like to know, is how good of a job did they do on Smaug and the Dragon lair in the Hobbit???????

Okay, just to warn all of you, I worked at movie theaters over a period of almost 15 calendar years for 12 total years, and took a bunch of film and media studies courses as an undergrad, so getting me started on movies can be dangerous.

Since they're turning the Hobbit into a 3-part film with lots of backstory, you don't see much of Smaug, but what you do see looks pretty cool; they focus in on his eye in a way that is reminiscent of the Eye of Sauron. The lair looks good so far, too, and might be better than Smaug. Dragons don't usually look great on film, go figure-mythical creature that defies the laws of physics and talks to boot.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel:
    The Kid:

Okay, just to warn all of you, I worked at movie theaters over a period of almost 15 calendar years for 12 total years, and took a bunch of film and media studies courses as an undergrad, so getting me started on movies can be dangerous.

Since they're turning the Hobbit into a 3-part film with lots of backstory, you don't see much of Smaug, but what you do see looks pretty cool; they focus in on his eye in a way that is reminiscent of the Eye of Sauron. The lair looks good so far, too, and might be better than Smaug. Dragons don't usually look great on film, go figure-mythical creature that defies the laws of physics and talks to boot.
    Thanks,, hmmm didnt know that the hobbit was a three part -er.. Makes me want to see it even more.. I suppose alot of the backstory is pertaining to Gollum and maybe the Shire. There are so many awesome story lines in tha5t book,, I bet the great eagles will be awesome too!!! Love Tolkien and I was/am very pleased with all the LOTR movies
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Martel:
    The Kid:

Thanks,, hmmm didnt know that the hobbit was a three part -er.. Makes me want to see it even more.. I suppose alot of the backstory is pertaining to Gollum and maybe the Shire. There are so many awesome story lines in tha5t book,, I bet the great eagles will be awesome too!!! Love Tolkien and I was/am very pleased with all the LOTR movies
    the wife and I went to see The Hobbit. I was wondering about the ending, it's been 30 years since I read it but I didn't think it ended like that. Now I know. iBooks like I won't get to see Django which is the one I really wanted to see.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen "Hobo with a Shotgun" I picked it up the other day on a whim.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    These Filthy Hands:
    Has anyone seen "Hobo with a Shotgun" I picked it up the other day on a whim.
    B rated hyperviolence... loved it.

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just red boxed the campaign wtih will ferrel and zak gyla f..that guy,meh was funny but most of the funny came from the costars.main characters were a little to much if you know what i mean.glad i didnt see it in theatres..
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Picked up The Dark Knight Rises from redbox tonight. I was expecting to be let down after the last one, but that was wrong. Loved it. However, the extremely maneuverable motorcycle with 3ft wide tires that roll over has really bugged me in that series lol.