Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Movies.

Comments

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw "Django" yesterday!! I thought it was good...my take was that it was his take on spaghetti westerns plus lots of violence. I think I prefer Jackie Brown but the acting was awesome.. Anyone else?
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Saw "Django" yesterday!! I thought it was good...my take was that it was his take on spaghetti westerns plus lots of violence. I think I prefer Jackie Brown but the acting was awesome.. Anyone else?
    Guess I'll wait for it on DVD, if youre thinking Jackie Brown was as good if not better.

I watched an old western (1976) I hadn't ever heard of, with Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson. Yea thats what I said too, Marlon Brando n a western??? It was pretty good, movie was called "The Missouri Breaks"
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just netflixed a horror comedy called Tucker and dale versus evil.was funny told a good story had some interesting characters would recommend for a good laugh.prob not for young kids tho
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Watching Van Helsing,, Gotta say the Vampire chicks are hott!! lol
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    The Kid:
    Bigshizza:
    Guess I'll wait for it on DVD, if youre thinking Jackie Brown was as good if not better.

I watched an old western (1976) I hadn't ever heard of, with Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson. Yea thats what I said too, Marlon Brando n a western??? It was pretty good, movie was called "The Missouri Breaks"
    Yea, the Missouri Breaks is a good watch. If you liked that, you might like "Goin South", another 70's western with Nicholson. I like the humor in that film. Going to pass on D'Jango, but we saw Lincoln and the Hobbit over the Christmas holiday. The wife liked the Hobbit, I thought it was redundant. Lincoln was the best film I've seen in 20 years, maybe longer. Tommy Lee Jones and Daniel Day Lewis were in career defining performances.
  • Options
    JDH:
    The Kid:
    Bigshizza:

Yea, the Missouri Breaks is a good watch. If you liked that, you might like "Goin South", another 70's western with Nicholson. I like the humor in that film. Going to pass on D'Jango, but we saw Lincoln and the Hobbit over the Christmas holiday. The wife liked the Hobbit, I thought it was redundant. Lincoln was the best film I've seen in 20 years, maybe longer. Tommy Lee Jones and Daniel Day Lewis were in career defining performances.
    Lincoln was amazing!! James Spader was great as well.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't know if I should post here or in the "Songs" thread....but just watched Before the Music Dies documentary. Very well made and some good interviews - give it a look if you have an hour and a half to spare.

From IMDB:
    With outstanding performances and revealing interviews Before the Music Dies takes a critical look at the homogenization of popular music with commentary by some of the industry's biggest talents like Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, Elvis Costello, Erykah Badu, Branford Marsalis, Bonnie Raitt and more.
    Using historic footage the film looks at the evolution of American music and the artists who created it and pulls back the curtain (in a very creative way) to expose the sad truth behind today's "artificial" music stars. "The reality is that superficiality is in," says Marsalis. "And depth and quality is kind of out." Inspired by the death of his brother, director Andrew Shapter and his crew traveled thousands of miles, visiting dozens of cities, speaking with hundreds of fans, journalists, record executives and musicians while searching for "real" American music.
    What they found were mega-talents without a major label, including one artist Eric Clapton believes is "the real thing."

Available to watch on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwyCbwu9jRQ

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Bigshizza:
    JDH:
    The Kid:
    Bigshizza:

Lincoln was amazing!! James Spader was great as well.
    I think Lincoln will be around for a very very long time, and it was contemporary because it delt with the difficulties of getting Congress to act in times of tremendous division and polarization. I just hope Hollywood doesn't shun Spielburg again, like they have so many times before.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for posting this.. Ive watched over half of this so far and will watch the other half later tonight.. Sadly I cant say Im surprised, Its been apparent for many years that the industry has moved away from true artists.
    I did get a kick out of some of the comments ,,,,,,,,,"Nowadays gotta be butt naked with some glitter and a beeper.. and dont forget the butt implants",,lol.. Or how you mentioned the "supeficiality is in and depth and quality is out"..
    I also got a kick out of the video made by the model...fn classic example of the industry today.
    Did ya notice how Doyle Bramhall is left handed and yet plays a right handed guitar upside down, or maybe it is a left handed guitar but its strung E-B-G-D-A-E.
    ANyhooo,, Thanks again
    jgibv:
    Didn't know if I should post here or in the "Songs" thread....but just watched Before the Music Dies documentary. Very well made and some good interviews - give it a look if you have an hour and a half to spare.

From IMDB:
    With outstanding performances and revealing interviews Before the Music Dies takes a critical look at the homogenization of popular music with commentary by some of the industry's biggest talents like Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, Elvis Costello, Erykah Badu, Branford Marsalis, Bonnie Raitt and more.
    Using historic footage the film looks at the evolution of American music and the artists who created it and pulls back the curtain (in a very creative way) to expose the sad truth behind today's "artificial" music stars. "The reality is that superficiality is in," says Marsalis. "And depth and quality is kind of out." Inspired by the death of his brother, director Andrew Shapter and his crew traveled thousands of miles, visiting dozens of cities, speaking with hundreds of fans, journalists, record executives and musicians while searching for "real" American music.
    What they found were mega-talents without a major label, including one artist Eric Clapton believes is "the real thing."

Available to watch on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwyCbwu9jRQ
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Thank you very much for posting this.. Ive watched over half of this so far and will watch the other half later tonight.. Sadly I cant say Im surprised, Its been apparent for many years that the industry has moved away from true artists.
    I did get a kick out of some of the comments ,,,,,,,,,"Nowadays gotta be butt naked with some glitter and a beeper.. and dont forget the butt implants",,lol.. Or how you mentioned the "supeficiality is in and depth and quality is out"..
    I also got a kick out of the video made by the model...fn classic example of the industry today.
    Did ya notice how Doyle Bramhall is left handed and yet plays a right handed guitar upside down, or maybe it is a left handed guitar but its strung E-B-G-D-A-E.
    Glad you liked it, Rudy. And yes I got a good chuckle from the "butt naked with some glitter" comment.
    And I'm with you, WTF was that video bull$hit made by that model? That's not music...that's doo-doo garbage.
    And yes it's sad but true - record industry is all about the "one-hit" pop wonders, and developing 1 or 2 stars to make a boat load of cash for the label (just look at Nicki Minaj, Justin Bieber, etc).

However, I think that over the past 7 years since this video was released (2006), the "digital revolution" is helping good artists get their music out to a wider audience.
    Because good music's out there, you just gotta find it --- and I'm glad that some of these lesser-known (i.e. not played on the radio) artists are making their music available via torrents, iTunes/Amazon store, Youtube/spotify/last.fm, etc. since all the FM radio stations play nothing but crap music all day long.
    IDK if traditional radio will ever be fixed and these good artists will be widely played, but thank god for the internet so we can explore and find these great musicians.

And no, I didn't notice how Doyle Bramhall plays until you mentioned it ... searched on google and found an article that says "Doyle is left-handed and usually plays the right-handed model of a guitar upside-down!" .... wild.

• Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Trouble with the Curve
  • Options
    Just saw "Silver Lining Playbook" I know I'm old etc... But, Jennifer Lawerence is something special..great looking and a really good actor!! Everyone in it did a great job. Dang she's cute! If you like drama and good storyline..go see it.
  • Options
    FYI --- Dave Grohl's Sound City doc is out now, available on most on-demand services (like iTunes, amazon, etc) --- hope to have a chance to watch it this week.

• Options
    jgibv:
    FYI --- Dave Grohl's Sound City doc is out now, available on most on-demand services (like iTunes, amazon, etc) --- hope to have a chance to watch it this week.
    Awesome...just was watching some vintage Mother Love Bone...Andrew was a cool guy, just couldn't stay off the smack..I remember the day he died like it was yesterday...
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    jgibv:
    Awesome...just was watching some vintage Mother Love Bone...Andrew was a cool guy, just couldn't stay off the smack..I remember the day he died like it was yesterday...
    yep, sad that so many of the "greats" had to go before their time was up because of drugs....

• Options
    JDH:
    The Kid:
    Bigshizza:

Just watched Django couple nights ago,, and I really liked it.. Better than skyfall if ya ask me. Lincoln's next.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    JDH:
    The Kid:
    Bigshizza:

Just watched Django couple nights ago,, and I really liked it.. Better than skyfall if ya ask me. Lincoln's next.
    Rudy, you will enjoy Lincoln, it's pretty amazing, loved it!!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Watching Joe Kidd.Judge - You know it's illegal to kill a deer on reservation land?Clint - Well, the deer wasn't sure where it was and neither was I.
  • Options
    Watched some great movies over the weekend, The first two were historical pieces based on true stories. Not sure if Keanu was right for his role. I do like some of his movies though like Point Break, Constantine, & The Matrix.

Monuments Men
    47 Ronin ,(also recently watched the Last Samurai which IMO is a better flick)
    American Hustle
    Gravity
    the Hobbit (Desolation of Smaug)

Later gonna watch Pompeii , hope its not a let down, so far I've enjoyed all of these
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attempted to watch Father Christmas is Back last night on Netflix but kept falling asleep. There's lots of dialog but apparently no plot and even John Cleese couldn't save this one. Pass.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watched one in the wee hours of the morning called Trance. Good cast and good plot. Very nice twists and turns. Decent movie

• Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just the resurrected necro-posts that don't clear the "new" flag?

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    Watched one in the wee hours of the morning called Trance. Good cast and good plot. Very nice twists and turns. Decent movie

With Rosario Dawson?

• Options

@Vision said:
    With Rosario Dawson?

Yes sir, that’s the one.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:

@Vision said:
    With Rosario Dawson?

Yes sir, that’s the one.

Now I know why you were watching it late night. 🍆🦫

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Is it just the resurrected necro-posts that don't clear the "new" flag?

As far as I can tell

• Options

@Vision said:

@Rdp77 said:

@Vision said:
    With Rosario Dawson?

Yes sir, that’s the one.

Now I know why you were watching it late night. 🍆🦫

🤣🤣🤣