Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Zach and thank you for your service! You're Dad'a a great guy and glad he referred you to us, enjoy :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Airman Zach from another fairly new guy
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich and Zach, welcome to the insanity! Lots of info here and great people too! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Welcome to all other new members as well :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZachsSmokeIsJustified what is the cigar culture like in Japan?  Welcome to the country club!!!
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Options
    GoCardsGoCards Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the welcome
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I fell behind and haven't kept up. Welcome to all the new members. This is truly a great community. The veterans here are awesome, and are full of great advice.  Zach thank you for your service.  I hope to get to know you all soon. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GoCards said:
    Hey all,  this is Rich from St. Louis.  Just getting into this hobby (about 3 weeks), and really appreciate all of the great advice I have seen on this forum.  I'm seasoning a 100 count humidor and am enjoying learning about great things to put in it.
    Rich, welcome brother!! PM me your address and I will send you out the most recent copy of the group newsletter!!! 
  • Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Rich!
  • Options
    @ZachsSmokeIsJustified what is the cigar culture like in Japan?  Welcome to the country club!!!
    It's pretty small here unfortunately. Japanese people are really, REALLY, big into cigarettes here but haven't found anyone else into cigars here besides the other service men. I am just in Northern Japan so Tokyo might be a different story.
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Hello all: I have smoked cigars on and off for a few years, and have decided to try it more. I have started with a BNM and tried some mild stuff and have found I really enjoy Oliva Connecticut. I am looking to learn more and enjoy more. I thought Forum would be a god place to learn, so I joined here. 
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the party @NOGILLS2!  There's a wealth of information in here and a bunch of really great folks too. 

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard  @NOGILLS2
    Great to have you 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    jbohon said:
    @ZachsSmokeIsJustified,  you know we are going to get a hold of your address sooner or later. You might as well give it up now...  :D
    Oh more than likely. But I can hold off as long as possible! :smiley:
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all I am back I was on here back in 2014 but have had some family problem almost lost my mother to 2 bad storks but she has recovered and doing good. Back in 2014 I bought a humidor but it was not made right it only had 1/8 ceder paneling in it so it wouldn't hold the humidity. So I gave it away . So my mother bought me a new humidor this year as a thank you for all the help. She got me the 5 Vegas box. And said she will help me get a bigger one in November. Hope this isn't to much info for all of you. lol
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, @arch72, I started with the 5 Vegas humi and after seasoning, it's worked out great. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    My only prob is temp it stay what ever it is in house and I live in the Mohave desert in the winter it not too hot but in the summer it gets up to 120+ and I keep the ac at 79 coast to much to keep it down to 70 ( and too cold )
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you freeze your sticks first you shouldn't have worries about cigar beetles hatching and it you use 62% or 65% Boveda packs you shouldn't have to worry about mold. 

I picked up a cheap winedor on Craigslist for temp control but they have their own issues, and often they can only lower the temp 10 degrees or so, but I've been pretty happy so far. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    I have tried freezing but I thought they lost flavor( to me )
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    arch72 said:
    I have tried freezing but I thought they lost flavor( to me )
    A lot of manufacturers freeze before even shipping so i would say thats in your head. Freeze 72 hours and then leave in unopened bag and let come to room temp before storing. Important to no open bags when removed from freezer. Let them rest 4-6 weeks after freezing and you will be golden.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Welcome @arch72 enjoy it's a great place here :)
  • Options
    It could be in my head lol I didn't let them rest that long in the humidor after It's not easy to wait that long lol When you know that there in there and you don't have any to smoke they seem to stay on the mind like they are teasing you "hey I am here come smoke me " lol
  • Options
    Thanks @90+_Irishman hope to be here for a long time
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome arch72. Glad your mom survived the attack of the two bad storks strokes. 
  • Options
    lol yeah good at math not spelling
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @arch72
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @arch72 . So,  your good at math, maybe you can teach us how to count to 5?!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @cbuck That will be very hard for some try this how many fingers do you have?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    arch72 said:
    @cbuck That will be very hard for some try this how many fingers do you have?
    The trouble isn't with fingers,... fingers are easy,..... the trouble comes when we try to count cigars. Specifically five cigars. For some reason five looks like five but then people want to claim it looks like more. Weird huh?