Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey iwsmith.. First of all welcome, next of all.. If your are a football fan it was a good year for Steeler fans. I too am a big fan of most Rock Patel cigars, Try the Nording if you see them. The first Cigar of the month club will be a package of Gurkhas, so you will get a chance to try some higher priced Gurkhas. I like nearly everything made by Fuentes. Which also includes Bauza, and Ashton. If you visit here often you will get tons of suggestions. Try some, you will find some new favorites.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome...and in all seriousness, make more money to support the habit. :) Actually, there are quite a few good cigars that have a very attractive price tag. Finding these gems among a sea of "low price, low quality" cigars can be a challenge, but we've got enough recommendations to keep you smoking well through the year 3000.
  • Options
    Thanks to you all, I have enjoyed cigars for a couple years but never attempted to make it a habit, which now i am:)  I am in pharm sales and with nothing else to spend money on, cigars are the way to go for me.  I'm a cigarette smoker--trying to quit-- and it was only a couple months ago when i acctually learned how to smoke a cigar, compared to smoking cigarettes.  It was the greatest revelation of my life.  And i have a cigar bar 2 blocks from my apartment which is nice because there are only about 3 bars in pittsburgh where you can smoke cigars.  I look forward to learning from you guys and finding my personal taste in cigars.  If anyone wants to tell me their deal PM me as i would like to get to know some of the more seasoned smokers on here.

off to look for a bigger humidor... haha

ps. i love the steelers
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Welcome Ian - glad to have another BOTL. If you are indeed looking for another humidor, please do yourself one of the biggest favors a newbie can do themselves, buy the absolute biggest one you can afford inspite of if you think you'll never fill it. You will be surprised at what a hobby/addiction/compulsion/joy cigar smoking can become! Look forward to having you around-Gene
  • Options
    Gene,

Where do you recommend buying humidors from... clearly there are tons of places on the internet, i want to just bite the bullet and get a 300 count humidor for now, are these wholesaler type places good for buying humidors or are they cheaply made?  Thanks in advance, if anyone else has insight it would be much appreciated.

Ian
  • Options
    I would reccomend the Havana Footlocker - holds about 400-500 sticks , boxes and singles and is very reasonably priced. Some of the B&M charge a fortune but some are reasonable. by the way, congrats on having a cigar bar that close I wish I did, closest one to me is about 5 miles away.
  • Options
    Just bought it... haha.

I was acctually looking at that before you suggested it.

Glad to be here, day 1 and i've already spent 150 on a humidor ( way less than i thought i would be spending) and another 200 dollars in cigars.  I feel like i'm going to fit right in.

• Options
    What smokes did you order?
  • Options
    Ashton VSG corona gorda
    Graycliff 1666 PG maduro
    Gurkha Grand Age Perfecto
    5 Vegas Sampler pack
    2 CAO MX2's (one of my fav's)
    Cohiba Red Dot Robusto
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Sampler (free)
    COTM club

plus i bought some at my local shop

Gurkha Black Dragon
    another VSG
    CAO LX2
    Cohiba Black
    Rocky Patel vintage 1990 and a 1992

plus i had a couple rocky patels, caos, and h upmann vintage cameroons in my humidor

• Options
    Great selection- I love the CAO MX2, the Cohiba black and the H Upmann vintage cameroon - youv'e got a good start there , the Rockys are very good as well
  • Options
    By the way, my humidor now is that CAO vision, its a pretty neat little travel humidor that i bought a couple months ago, but only holds about 20 sticks.  Thank god i got this bigger humidor cause i think i got the bug.  Has anyone done the build your own sampler on here?  Any suggestions for cigars on that list?
  • Options
    I smoked one of the vintage cameroons tonight, it was a decent smoke in the 40 degree weather we are havin here (thats warm for pittsburgh this time of year).  And like i said earlier i had been smoking cigars for about 3 or so years, not religiously, but i did get to know some of the decent sticks out there.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    That is a popular choice iwsmith. It really depends on your tastes as to what you want, or you can get a really wide variety of sticks and find you tastes. I also reccommend to ccom house blend robusto sampler. It's a great deal, cheap, and the sticks are top notch. thatll also help you explore your taste buds. Welcome to the board and good call buying a new humi!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    iwsmith2:
    I smoked one of the vintage cameroons tonight, it was a decent smoke in the 40 degree weather we are havin here (thats warm for pittsburgh this time of year).  And like i said earlier i had been smoking cigars for about 3 or so years, not religiously, but i did get to know some of the decent sticks out there.
    Welcome, yinzer. Just curious, what's your local shop and the cigar bar you go to?

I go to Continential in Squirrel Hill.
  • Options
    Ahhh a fellow yinzer... I live dahntahn and i go to the "cigar bar" in market square... and i go to puff's n stuff (formerly Poor Richards) in the station square train shops (John down there is starting to hook me up). They have some great prices on some of the super premiums and if you sign up for this thing you get 20% of boxes or so i hear.
  • Options
    Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    Hi all, my name is Henry I'm 26 and I live in the uk in brighton.I have been smoking cigars for about 6 months so a bit of a newbie. I look forward to talking to you all and sharing the wealth of information this website seems to offer
  • Options
    You should also look forward to getting a bigger humidor. Within about 1 month you'll be wondering which closet you can turn into a walk-in.
  • Options
    Henry1:
    Hi all, my name is Henry I'm 26 and I live in the uk in brighton.I have been smoking cigars for about 6 months so a bit of a newbie. I look forward to talking to you all and sharing the wealth of information this website seems to offer
    Well, Another Country heard from !! Welcome Henry, it's good to have you here with us. What are some of your favorite cigars ?
  • Options
    Hi kaspera.My favorite cigars at the moment are, partagas series d no 4, cohiba robustos, H uppman magnum 50, and I like the rocky patel vintage 1990 robustos.
  • Options
    Henry1:
    Hi kaspera.My favorite cigars at the moment are, partagas series d no 4, cohiba robustos, H uppman magnum 50, and I like the rocky patel vintage 1990 robustos.
    I have enjoyed a few Partagas, and Uppman, when you say Cohiba I presume you are speaking of the Cuban line. They are not legal here, so very rare for me to have those. I have had many, many Rocky Patel cigars. The Vintage 1992, 1990, and the Nording are my favorites from Patel . Also a big fan of most A. Fuentes Cigars. The Robusto is the size I find myself smoking most often too. After about an hour, I usually have gotten all I expect out of any cigar.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Howdy, Henry. Sounds like you favor classic cigar flavor. You'll have to pardon us Yanks for doing a double-take whenever you just casually toss off the names of Cuban cigars like that. We're not used to that.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Howdy, Henry. Sounds like you favor classic cigar flavor. You'll have to pardon us Yanks for doing a double-take whenever you just casually toss off the names of Cuban cigars like that. We're not used to that.
    Good point Urbi, they are probably all Cubans that Lucky Henry is smoking.. ( Henry may be fun to trade with Urbi ! )
  • Options
    Heh. Yeah. The transit time may be a bit longish, though.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Heh. Yeah. The transit time may be a bit longish, though.
    Yeah, I'm sure if we get a "kwana-rama-hana-dewali-mas " package going again this year we better start in August if Henry wants in. And you thought Canada Post was slow.
  • Options

Henry1:

Welcome to the forum Henry1. We look forward to the exchange of info with you .

• Options
    Yes they are all cubans (except for the rocky patels). but I have to say I have orderd a few non cubans from here to try, because anything cuban thats larger than a corona size is quite expensive I pay anywhere from £12 -£19 for a robusto. will definitely be up for some trading at some point though. At the moment I tend to just buy what I am going to smoke for a week and keep them in a humi pouch,  But I am hoping to buy a nice large humidor to fill up in the near future, so once I have I will do some trades with people.
  • Options
    Ouch. That's some serious coin. Central American makers have come a long, long way during the U.S. embargo on Cuba. I think you'll find many you like, and they won't pinch you quite so hard on the pocketbook.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Welcome! I have some family in England, in North Hamptonshire.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Henry1:
    Brighton? As in Brighton Beach, southeast of London? I spent many a weekend there when I did a semester of college at Imperial College in London. Cool town.