Options

Humi-Care Electric Humidifier

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    hopefully it will be in good shape.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    'Tis. Everything seems to be fine. My only complaint on first inspection is that there was a gap about a nickel's thickness wide on either side of where the interior electrical outlet fits into the humi. A bit of silicone tape fixed that. The door seems to fit good and snug. All the shelves and tray- and drawer-bottoms are slotted for good circulation.

My only concern right now is the amount of space this Oasis II is gonna take up.
  • Options
    I didn't have enough distilled water on hand to fill the Oasis II, so I stuck my little Oasis XL in there. Up to 60% already. Whodathunkit?

I may just send that Oasis II back.
  • Options
    Any suggestions on how to organize my cigars in this thing? As you can see in the pic, there are:

8 drawers
    3 shelves
    4 trays (on the shelves)

Even I'm smart enough to know the best place for boxes is the bottom shelf. Aside from that, though, I'm really at a loss. Should I use the drawers for my favorite cigars? The most fragile cigars? The most expensive? Organize them by wrapper? Maker? Vitola?

Help a bruh out, here. (This has doody written all over it. Wait. That doesn't look right.)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well if mine came with doody I'd send it back... umm, well I would try to put the favs in the draws at least those of which aren't in boxes. Though you could always sort them by makers, at least the one's who you have the most of. Not really sure how many cigars you have. I think my gurkhas could take 3 drawers or more up. Then the AF's, that would finish off the drawers. Though it would depend on how deep and wide they were. At any rate it should be nice once you fill it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Personally, I'd use the trays for loose cigars, drawers for bundles and shelves for boxes. As for some sort of organization...alphabetically by country of origin, then alphabetically by make and finally chronologically by how long you've had them. :)
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Normally I'd say to save the drawers for the least attractive stuff, and keep the best/prettiest cigars on display in the trays. However, by the picture it seems that your trays aren't exactly set up to provide prominent display. The organization of one's humidor is a very personal choice, and will be impacted by the process you use to select your cigar.

When I am getting ready to smoke, my first consideration is how much time I wish to spend with the cigar. My second consideration is how full-bodied I wish that cigar to be. After that, I just pick whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. With your particular setup in mind, I would probably organize it this way:

First: Split it right down the middle. Boutiques on the non-hinge side, and major brands on the hinge side. I split the hinge/non-hinge by the sides I would normally access most often (I would go for boutiques first).

Second: Note that there are 4 drawers per side. Top to bottom, I would divide my cigars by their body. Mild cigars in the top drawer, Medium in the second, Med-Full in the third, and Full-bodied in the bottom drawer.

Third: Within a drawer, organize by "weight" (don't measure this) or expected smoking time... bigger stuff in the back, smaller stuff in the front. Your Monte Media Noche No. 3's would be toward the front, and your Hemingway Masterpieces would be at the rear. Likewise, your Camacho 1962 Perfectos would be at the front, and your Gurkha Titans would be near the rear.

Fourth: Now we have to deal with the trays. There are half as many trays, but it looks like they have a fair amount of depth. You're still splitting left/right the same as the drawers. However, the top tray will have Mild and Medium smokes. The bottom tray will have Med-Full and Full smokes. If there are dividers, that would be a great way to keep these categories separate.

Fifth: I would leave the trays as my "smoking queue." That is, I would keep no more than 2 of a particular cigar in the tray. Any more than that gets relegated to its corresponding drawer. I want to be able to see my full selection, and I don't want to bother with staring at 12 of the same cigar, when I can only smoke one. I would stack like cigars on top of each other. If I have company, I can grab both cigars in that same stack, and we can go out for a smoke. With the depth of your trays, it looks like you may be able to stack as many as 4 of a cigar in one spot. When you've smoked some cigars out of the trays, re-allocate to the trays from the reserves located in the drawers.

Of course, having played with the humi, I might wish to swap the usage of the drawers and the trays. I may also abandon the whole left/right split as a rule, and just use top two drawers for Mild, second two for Medium, etc... and not worry about major/boutique brands. Also, this would allow for the allocation of the 4 trays as Mild, Medium, Med-Full, and Full.

I dunno... off the top of my head, that's probably what I would start with. Of course, my current inventory is so small, that I just toss all the cigars in a couple tupperdors, and leave my mini-humi as my smoking queue. I consult the spreadsheet to make my selection, rather than keep any of my humis open for an extended period of time :)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Holy cats Duty...I think that was what we were all waiting for.
  • Options
    No kidding. I especially liked this:
    dutyje:
    Within a drawer, organize by "weight" (don't measure this)
    That parenthetical made me cackle out loud. Only doody would think that needed to be said.

Thanks, though, doody. A lot of thought -- or at least typing -- went into that. I'm not sure how much of it I'll use, but it's a lot of good ideas to consider. I think I'm more inclined to organize by maker, primarily, and by level of interest after that. That is, the stuff I'm less interested in goes on the bottom (of the trays or drawers). I like the bit about stacking cigars deep instead of wide; that makes good sense. Though, again, I'll probably go wider with stogies I particularly like, to keep them near the top.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    You know as hard of a time as we give duty, I love having his analytical abilities around.
  • Options
    True. But as much as I like having his analytical abilities around, I like giving him a hard time even more.
  • Options
    urbino:
    True. But as much as I like having his analytical abilities around, I like giving him a hard time even more.
    WP is fun to give a hard time to as well ... wait ... I mean ...
  • Options
    Awkward.
  • Options
    Pics of the fully functional Death Star cabinet humi coming up.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Pics of the fully functional Death Star cabinet humi coming up.
    SWEET!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    heart speeds up .....
  • Options
    Number 1:

• Options
    WTF? Flickr images don't work here?
  • Options
    bullshit!
  • Options
    FOUL!!!
  • Options
    Hang on. Operator error, I think. Let's try that again:

• Options
    Second shelf trays:

Those 2 guys on the left in the ziploc bag are LFD Cameroon Cabinets, courtesy of j0z3r.
  • Options
    Top drawers:

The La Cunas in the front left are my beloved #85 habanos. The ones in the back are the #1720's.
  • Options
    Second drawers (the unlabeled toros, front left, are Perdomo ESV '91 seconds):

• Options
    Third drawers:

• Options
    Bottom drawers:

• Options
    Chiiittt 'Bino that is awsome...congrats bro thats a cool setup...damn will drool mess up a key board?
  • Options
    Holy crap it seasoned that quickly eh?

These pictures may lead to my divorce .... I WANT ONE!
  • Options
    Ground floor:

• Options
    Top shelf, top tray: