Home Cigar 101
Options

Humi-Care Electric Humidifier

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've got beads up there. (You can see them in one of the pics I posted.) They probably need a re-charge, though. I'll do that when I get some distilled water. I've got the Oasis up there right now, too. Top hygro now reading 64%, and bottom 65%. That's much closer than they were an hour ago, but it may just be a temporary convergence as the top one continues rising and the bottom one continues falling. We'll see. If I have to, I'll go ahead and use that Oasis II on the bottom shelf.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't take my eyes off the cigars ! Only kidding, I didn't realize that those object were actually beads up there. Sounds like things are getting better .
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Yea I would have thought so to. Speaking of distilled water , how long do you guys hang on to/or use from a jug of distilled water before tossing and getting new jug. I have had some for about 90 days now and wonder if its still ok to use.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I've still got the first jug I bought about 9 months ago. I figure I'll replace it every year on the year. Most have an expiration date printed on them. I'll rotate it like I rotate the rest of our bottled water stock.
  • Options
    Must have overlooked the date....I'll check that out ....sounds like at 90 days or so i'm more than good though huh....
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Urbi I've got the PERFECT solution to fix your beautiful new humi! Just bring it to my house, drop it off with me, then come pick it up in a year and I'll have it ALLLL lined out for ya! hehe
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    Urbi I've got the PERFECT solution to fix your beautiful new humi! Just bring it to my house, drop it off with me, then come pick it up in a year and I'll have it ALLLL lined out for ya! hehe
    Heh. Just be sure to open it up now and then and give doody a cracker. (And empty his litter box.)

That's a good question about the water, gm. The reason I needed to buy more was that the gallon I bought back in July had some greenies floating in it. I didn't look at the date before I threw it out, so I don't know how far "off label" I was, if any.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Thats one thing I don't have to worry about. The distilled water never goes bad around our house because thats what we mix my son's formula with! Always got plenty on hand to keep the humi charged up!
  • Options
    Patience is a virtue, but not one of mine. So when I got home with distilled water and saw my hygros still not in a happy condition, I muttered something to the effect of, "F*ck it," and got the Oasis II set up.

That sumumabitch flat moves some air. I had to rearrange things a bit to make room for it, but not much. I stacked the trays on the second shelf and moved a couple of boxes up there from the bottom.

For those of you thinking about buying one of these or any cabinet humidor, here's something to consider: cable routing. Most cabinet humis seem to have interior AC outlets, but what they don't have is any damn way to get AC wires from there to anywhere else in the cabinet. Once things have settled in and I know I've got everything arranged the way I want it, I may drill a hole through the back at top and bottom, and caulk some of those rubber grommets in them.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Any excuse to get your hands on some caulk...
  • Options
    Always.

Still a little perplexed. The Oasis II got the lower section up to 67% in no time flat, but that top shelf still reads low, and the XL up there still runs non-stop; and that's with 1.5 lbs. of freshly charged beads up there. I swapped the hygros, just to make sure it wasn't them. It wasn't. All I know to do is let 'em run and see what happens. I hope I don't have a leak somewhere in the top.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Any excuse to get your hands on some caulk...
    lol, that was low...

Good to know about the wire routing urby. You could just drill through the shelf, I think that may be better than going through the back especially with the caulk smell... oh I know someone will get me on that... (perverted bastards)
  • Options
    You can't get through the drawers that way, though. That's the kink. There might be some dead space between the back of the drawers and the back of the cabinet. I'll measure at some point. Right now I'm trying to avoid opening the door unless absolutely necessary.

I last opened it about an hour ago to do the following:

1. Rearrange things on the bottom shelf so there's a bigger space for the Oasis II to breathe into.
    2. Pull all the drawers out as far as I could and still close the door.
    3. Put a bit of masking tape on the inside of the door at the top corner.
    4. Crank the Oasis II up to 75%.

The II has been running ever since, and the hygro on that shelf reads 70%. I'm taking that as a good sign -- i.e., that the humidity is circulating up into the drawers and upper shelves better. We'll see.
  • Options
    Upper hygro: 70%.

Lower hygro: 71%.

Both humidifiers still running. I would've thought the XL would have kicked off by now, since it's set to 67%, but whatever. The main thing is both hygros are reading within 1% of each other, and both are slowly rising. That suggests to me that I'm finally getting some good circulation, and the whole interior is coming up to snuff.
  • Options
    I turned the upper Oasis off right after my previous post. The upper hygro dipped to 69%, now is back up to 70%. Lower still sitting at 71%.

Good sign.
  • Options
    Upper hygro: 71%

Lower hygro: 72%

The slow, steady, unified rise continues...
  • Options
    soooo close
  • Options
    You talking about my 2 hygros, or you buying a cabinet? Because if it's the latter, let me push you over the edge: man it smells good when I open that door.

I turned the Oasis II down to 70% about an hour ago. Its hygro seems to read about 2-3 points high, so that should put me right where I want to be. Although, now that I glance at them again, my hygros are reading 68 and 70, so maybe I need to back it off another notch or two.
  • Options
    Sounds like ya got it purrin' there 'Bino .....still mule-lipped over my trip to see tha Ghurka chest saturday ..... a cabinet is definitly in my not too distant future though .... just don't see any sense in buying the smallers and continusly shuffling...much more cost efficient in the long run with a cabinet of some type....sounds like you are really pleased, thats good....
  • Options
    Yeah, it seems like I may have found the sweet spot. I don't know which of those changes did it -- opening the drawers a little, giving the Oasis II more breathing room -- but I do seem to have good circulation now. I'll experiment tomorrow and see which one it was. Either way, it seems to be the case that you need some serious humidification for these things. Something to keep in mind when you're budgeting.

Sorry about that Gurkha chest, man. That sucks when you've had your eye on something like that for a while.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Urbs if I had to guess, I'd say, despite what you may have thought, she probably wasn't fully seasoned when you threw the cigars in.
  • Options
    I'd say you're probably right, maddy. The air volume had stabilized, but the wood hadn't. Like I said -- patience is a virtue, but not one of mine. ;)
  • Options

urbino:
    Yeah, it seems like I may have found the sweet spot. I don't know which of those changes did it -- opening the drawers a little, giving the Oasis II more breathing room -- but I do seem to have good circulation now. I'll experiment tomorrow and see which one it was. Either way, it seems to be the case that you need some serious humidification for these things. Something to keep in mind when you're budgeting.

Sorry about that Gurkha chest, man. That sucks when you've had your eye on something like that for a while.

Yea and another thing i forgot to mention it had about a 3 to 4 inch long scratch on the top....proably from having been there awhile.....nothing that can't be touched up but still....

• Options
    Can you get one elsewhere -- ccom, etc.?

Upper hygro: 69%
    Middle hygro: 68% (this is a new one I just got calibrated last night)
    Lower hygro: 67%

The timing may work out just about perfectly: my stogies will have stabilized again in their new home about the same time I get rid of this cold and can smoke one.
  • Options
    Extremly difficult to find anything about them on the net....
  • Options
    Hm. Maybe somebody around here has a local B&M that has one. You might be able to work something out that way, although that's a lot of money.

Upper hygro: 68%
    Middle hygro: 68%
    Lower hygro: 68%

If lovin' the Lawd is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
  • Options
    I got one for my 400 count humidor and I love it, to dang easy to operate and take care of, and quiet as all get out. Definately a product I would recommend to any one.
  • Options
    Thanks, rd. I've already gone a different direction, but your experience may be useful to future readers.

Got home to the following:

Upper hygro: 68%
    Middle hygro: 69%
    Lower hygro: 65%

Those are all readings within a range I'm okay with (though 69% is getting high), but I dunno why they went from a slow, steady convergence on 3 identical readings, to a 4 point range. The seasoning process would explain the convergence; what explains the divergence, I don't know.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    what explains the divergence, I don't know.
    Global warming...on a local scale. :)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The number of cigars on each level, or heat rises and higher humidity possible at higher temperature. Is the temperature the same throughout the entire cabinet ?