Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin this afternoon??

Comments

• Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    This along with a little Balvenie Caribbean Cask single malt

Life is good, don't waste it.
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A really good Fuente Reserva Extra Viejo. That ironically is not that old.image
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 hours of goodness from @kswildcat make a wish bomb. Great smoke. Another damn box cigar. Thx again Randy. Paired with Sailor Jerry Rum.
    Stub'd @Stubble ; Stogie Stand'n @danielzreyes

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    La Musa MΟΥ͂ΣΑ toro by Emilio Cigars. Quite tastyimage
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Principes Maduro robusto
    edited May 2016
    La Palina Classic lancero

and it is mighty fine, glad I bought a box.
    Post edited by silvermouse on
    A Brick House toro.....image
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunch time smoke
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mid day break.image
    cbuck said:
    Hoyo Epicure #2! Great! This box is part of my plan b, should all of my PSD4s disappear before my daughters wedding! Hope I don't need to go to a plan c, although I am prepared for that if need be!image
    Just smoked a tubo from a box code "10" the other day. Tasty. I need a cabinet of these. The D4's wont' last.I think your heading to plan "D". Buy more CC's. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @miller65rod Got a box of Bolivar Petite Coronas coming to cover plan c! And the Monte # 4 if I have too! Do they open up with rest/aging? I've had 2 out of 5 that were truly enjoyable! Not a great ratio! I even cut one in half, and smoked it in two sittings, which did open it up some. I hate a tight draw!
    The monte 4's should open up. If or when they do, they smoke great, just keep sampling every other month or so. I have the same issue with the first two RASS i have smoked out of a cab. I have always had good luck with them. Everything else I have is smoking great. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Viaje Oro Churchill
    @cbuck and @miller65rod, do either of you use a poker to open up the draw?  My home-made one works well on everything I've ever used it on but I've not had that problem with any of my CC's. 

IMO, commercially available draw pokers are too large in diameter and could possibly cause a split. That's why I won't use one of those. Just passing it along, FYI....   B)
    jlmarta said:
    @cbuck and @miller65rod, do either of you use a poker to open up the draw?  My home-made one works well on everything I've ever used it on but I've not had that problem with any of my CC's. 

IMO, commercially available draw pokers are too large in diameter and could possibly cause a split. That's why I won't use one of those. Just passing it along, FYI....   B)

I do @jlmarta , but sometimes not so straight, and didn't want to waste this cigar by putting a hole in the wrapper! My eyesight ain't what it used to be!
    jlmarta said:

I have a draw poker but as you said on smaller ring gauge cigars it can do some damage. I use a nail also sometimes when needed.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

I use a piece of the smallest diameter coat hanger wire I could find. In addition, the secret (IMO) to making it work properly is to cut, file, or grind the end of the poker to a blunt, square-cut end rather than a pointed end. 

Old-time carpenters and woodworkers know about this method. The square-cut end produces a cutting edge that will cut its way through the material whereas a pointed end acts as a wedge and forces material away from it just as a wedge is used in splitting firewood. 

This is why you'll sometimes see an old time carpenter stand a nail upside down and tap the pointed end with his hammer to blunt the nail. He uses this trick to avoid splitting any fine wood that's otherwise prone to being split by the nail. 

It seems counterintuitive, but it works..... 
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    I use a piece of the smallest diameter coat hanger wire I could find. In addition, the secret (IMO) to making it work properly is to cut, file, or grind the end of the poker to a blunt, square-cut end rather than a pointed end. 

Old-time carpenters and woodworkers know about this method. The square-cut end produces a cutting edge that will cut its way through the material whereas a pointed end acts as a wedge and forces material away from it just as a wedge is used in splitting firewood. 

This is why you'll sometimes see an old time carpenter stand a nail upside down and tap the pointed end with his hammer to blunt the nail. He uses this trick to avoid splitting any fine wood that's otherwise prone to being split by the nail. 

It seems counterintuitive, but it works..... 
    I've read that also. I have been thinking about snipping off the sharp end of my draw tool. 
    Casa Cuba! Always great!image
    this afternoon a PDr 1878 Capa Madura
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    La Palina Red Label while waiting for the kid.  I decided to get out the table and chair I keep in the back of my car to sit in the shade and enjoy the cigar and catch up on the forum while waiting.  It beats stinking up the car, but I had to get a heavy fender washer for my improvised ashtray when I got home because the wind kept blowing it around the table.  The "ashtray" is an old metal 3 Oaks Syrian pipe tobacco tin with a snap on plastic lid so I can put the lid on it when I'm done to contain the ash and butt and keep from spilling or sinking up the car.

I was a bit worried about public reaction to my smoking, the only reaction I got was someone getting off work walking up to me to see what was up.  He swung back by in his car to talk a bit more and tell me his dad just got back from Cuba with a nice haul of cigars so I guess it was a positive reaction.  :)

Since I have an hour to kill, it seems to be a good use of the time, I'm not wasting gas and time driving back and forth and I'm not out shopping and spending money on something I don't need.  It'd probably be better if I brought along a dog and walked the dog at the park during the wait, I did that once, but not sure I want to smoke a cigar and walk the dog at this park at the same time.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Hey @jlmarta ! Another Putrid Swamp Donkey # 4! Great smoke!image
    cbuck said:
    Yeah, I've still got a few left. They're pretty good. I actually believe I prefer the Hoyo Epicure #2 over the PSD4, though. 
    a Flor de Selva robusto, from this month's cotm sampler, after work, grapefruit seltzer accompaniment.
    jlmarta said:
    cbuck said:
    Yeah, I've still got a few left. They're pretty good. I actually believe I prefer the Hoyo Epicure #2 over the PSD4, though. 
    Like this one? HDM Epicure 2!
    I need to smoke more of each to
    decide which I like better!image
    A. Flores Capa Habano! Nice smoke!image
    cbuck said:
    jlmarta said:
    cbuck said:
    Like this one? HDM Epicure 2!
    I need to smoke more of each to
    decide which I like better!image
    Yep. That's the one. Dem's tasty little rascals....  :D
    after-work smoke, a CroMagnon; a touch on the strong side....