peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:
    Still wrong thread.

But a legitimate answer.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrTuvok said:
    @TNBigfoot68 - Actually I was asking the question in terms of getting to know what people like. I'm hoping to eventually be able to do some trades in the future, but I have read some of the posts and know that there are rules and that one cannot merely jump in and ask for a sponsor. It seemed that posting a question to those that have a lot of experience with many of different types of cigars would be a good way to become more knowledgeable as well as to express my interest in this thread. It would also give me some insight into what people prefer which could be useful if I do participate in trades later on.

A good way to see what folks around here like to smoke is to keep an eye on the "Whatcha Smokin'" threads. There is one for the morning, one for the afternoon, and one for tonight. Guys will post pictures of what they are smoking in those threads.

Southern Draw is a good way to go and plenty of fellas here enjoy them greatly! One of my personal favorites from them is the Corojo #4, can't remember if there is anything more to the name than that.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'll be here anxiously awaiting your return to the forum and correct thread😃

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very restrictive- reading required

• Options

It's funny - newbs have to walk a pretty straight line, but once you're in you can screw up all you want.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

There’s too many insider jokes and too much forum rule enforcement and not enough earnest guidance for new members to stick around.

(I’m as guilty as anybody else.)

This reminded me that I landed on a different forum before this one and I didn’t like the insider jokes that were, in retrospect, harmless fun. But my point is, I didn’t wait around to find out. I’m certain that there were some great guys on that other forum but I’ll never know. I felt welcomed here. I found my place here. I’m a one forum guy. Those other guys will always be the a holes that missed out on me.

Some, not all but some of these newbies we run off might be the kind of new guys we would like to have stick around.

They can’t ALL be mooches. This one guy seemed ok. He expressed himself clearly and was not offensive. But we judged him wrong on a technicality and then he explained his lack of understanding and that he felt like his transgression wasn’t a big deal. Well, that is most unforgivable. We cannot budge. We insisted he was still technically wrong. Then he left and we called him a mooch.

Maybe it’s best we keep doing it this way. I’m really not convinced It’s better either way. There’s a lot to be said for the “We already have enough members and running off the newbs is fun” frame of mind. But, Is losing a few good ones worth running off all the thinned skinned losers and jerk mooches? Maybe.

I mean if we let some jerk stick around too long before we ran him off,… then we’d inevitably be arguing about it among ourselves to the extreme.

Ok I’ve convinced myself.

To hell with newbs!

• Options

I hear where you're coming from @Bob_Luken and I don't think that last guy, or the one before him, Luv_Bourbon, were mooches. Sometimes I think folks here can be too harsh and be too pursuant of their own entertainment at the expense of the newbs. Then again, I am reminded of what a Pastor once told me, he was a substitute teacher for quite a while:

"When stepping into a new classroom it was more effective to start off being more strict than I typically am, then slowly dial it back a bit. This preserved the student's respect for my authority. If I came in too soft, then tried to become more strict, I was simply laughed at and disregarded. I would have no authority." (Paraphrased)

So, maybe it is better for newbs to see the more abrupt, jesting ways of the forum from the beginning. Then they will know what they are getting themselves into, so long as folks don't get cruel or anything, which I have yet to see happen.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    I hear where you're coming from @Bob_Luken and I don't think that last guy, or the one before him, Luv_Bourbon, were mooches. Sometimes I think folks here can be too harsh and be too pursuant of their own entertainment at the expense of the newbs. Then again, I am reminded of what a Pastor once told me, he was a substitute teacher for quite a while:

"When stepping into a new classroom it was more effective to start off being more strict than I typically am, then slowly dial it back a bit. This preserved the student's respect for my authority. If I came in too soft, then tried to become more strict, I was simply laughed at and disregarded. I would have no authority." (Paraphrased)

So, maybe it is better for newbs to see the more abrupt, jesting ways of the forum from the beginning. Then they will know what they are getting themselves into, so long as folks don't get cruel or anything, which I have yet to see happen.

You described my Wife's teaching style. The kids respect and then love her.

I think skin thickness has been measured and found wanting, but we could use new members that can run the gauntlet to help balance the jaded nature of the group.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    ronhancock77ronhancock77 Posts: 11 ✭✭

I would like to be added as a newb.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buckle up it's a bumpy ride, welcome.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

Welcome @ronhancock77

• Options

Welcome @ronhancock77

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry @ronhancock77, we already have @Rdp77. You'll have to pick a different number.

Okay, maybe not, but you should find the introduction thread and introduce yourself. Then hang out for a while, join in on the conversation, and maybe the vherf, and then after 50 or so posts, ask for a trade sponsor.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    edited July 2022

What he said

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    There’s too many insider jokes and too much forum rule enforcement and not enough earnest guidance for new members to stick around.

(I’m as guilty as anybody else.)

This reminded me that I landed on a different forum before this one and I didn’t like the insider jokes that were, in retrospect, harmless fun. But my point is, I didn’t wait around to find out. I’m certain that there were some great guys on that other forum but I’ll never know. I felt welcomed here. I found my place here. I’m a one forum guy. Those other guys will always be the a holes that missed out on me.

Some, not all but some of these newbies we run off might be the kind of new guys we would like to have stick around.

They can’t ALL be mooches. This one guy seemed ok. He expressed himself clearly and was not offensive. But we judged him wrong on a technicality and then he explained his lack of understanding and that he felt like his transgression wasn’t a big deal. Well, that is most unforgivable. We cannot budge. We insisted he was still technically wrong. Then he left and we called him a mooch.

Maybe it’s best we keep doing it this way. I’m really not convinced It’s better either way. There’s a lot to be said for the “We already have enough members and running off the newbs is fun” frame of mind. But, Is losing a few good ones worth running off all the thinned skinned losers and jerk mooches? Maybe.

I mean if we let some jerk stick around too long before we ran him off,… then we’d inevitably be arguing about it among ourselves to the extreme.

Ok I’ve convinced myself.

To hell with newbs!

The rest of the story @Bob_Luken.
    Since I was the first to respond to his post I reached out to him privately to explain why I said wrong thread and encourage him to stay. He never responded though he did log in the next 2 days. Here is the message I sent him:

"Let me again say how great it is to get new guys in the forum. I think you may have overreacted to the wrong thread comments, not meant to shame or exclude but rather help. If threads get diluted with multiple unrelated posts it destroys the ability to easily follow the thread. Being brand new I meant the wrong thread comment sincerely as help. We have threads like Newbie Welcoming threads where your post would have been awesome. Please hang a round, roll up ur sleeves and dig in. There are many great and unusual collection of people here, more than you could imagine. Don't be a stranger."

No response therefore it's on him. just my opinion.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options

Gosh what a sweetie you is

• Options

Greetings all. Hope you are all well. Only been smoking cigars a few years, but have learned a lot and still learning. Hope to learn a thing or two here.

• Options

Welcome, Ron.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about it @MrPossum …you ready to play our reindeer games?

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

@ronhancock77 said:
    Greetings all. Hope you are all well. Only been smoking cigars a few years, but have learned a lot and still learning. Hope to learn a thing or two here.

Has anyone ever asked you to sign something, like a lease or anything, and requested that you "put your Ron Hancock right there?"

More times than I can count. lol

• Options

Awesome

• Options
    IcemanxxxvIcemanxxxv Posts: 6

So how exactly does a newbe initiate a trade

I got a hole in my bucket I can't buy no beer!

• Options

@Icemanxxxv said> @Icemanxxxv said:
    So how exactly does a newbe initiate a trade

You did everything right, except realize that nobody here smokes Acids. Sorry, but good luck unloading them.