Options

Show off your Humi set-up

Comments

• Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:
    So due to the silly graciousness of the brothers here my setup has changed slightly and the top shelf has been solidly fortified, and my buddy from the local lounge JUST hooked me up with a single Fine and Rare (no more for the moment, but the lounge may be getting in a box so if so Dwayne I'll give you a PM brother). Already on my way to cutting the entire stash by 2/3rds by end of the holidays with the bombs I've got going out and the Xmas presents (minus some of the stuff in the top shelf since all of that is taking a nap for2-5 years, ie I wont touch it period lol) but here are the updated pics and entire setup:
    Nice setup!
    +1 very nice, Irish!
    Very nice Brett...
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    BigT06:
    howtobass:
    90+ Irishman:
    So due to the silly graciousness of the brothers here my setup has changed slightly and the top shelf has been solidly fortified, and my buddy from the local lounge JUST hooked me up with a single Fine and Rare (no more for the moment, but the lounge may be getting in a box so if so Dwayne I'll give you a PM brother). Already on my way to cutting the entire stash by 2/3rds by end of the holidays with the bombs I've got going out and the Xmas presents (minus some of the stuff in the top shelf since all of that is taking a nap for2-5 years, ie I wont touch it period lol) but here are the updated pics and entire setup:
    Nice setup!
    +1 very nice, Irish!
    Very nice Brett...
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    deejmemixx:
    I need to stop looking at this thread, as I need a wet nap every other page to clean up......the drool off my chin....
    no ****! There are some seriously nice sets ups here... with every new post I find myself saying "oh, I need to get some of those..." or "oh man... where did he get THAT?"

great stuff!
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    robbyras:
    deejmemixx:
    I need to stop looking at this thread, as I need a wet nap every other page to clean up......the drool off my chin....
    no ****! There are some seriously nice sets ups here... with every new post I find myself saying "oh, I need to get some of those..." or "oh man... where did he get THAT?"

great stuff!
    Yea, exactly. Some of you have really nice collections.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:

Is your built in Hygrometer not working???nice collection
  • Options
    Irishman, those are beautiful cigars in that box. Was the Behike really as good as they're hyped? (I'm assuming that you've enjoyed them already.)
  • Options
    JDH:
    Irishman, those are beautiful cigars in that box. Was the Behike really as good as they're hyped? (I'm assuming that you've enjoyed them already.)
    No, I haven't lit up a Behike since I just got that in a trade about a week ago. Out of respect I won't say who simply because I don't know if said person wishes to remain anonymous or not in this case, but lets just say that both of us were more than just a little happy with how each of us ended up on that deal. I probably won't light that Behike for at least a minimum of 3 years and will hold out longer if I can keep my grubby hands off of it, simply because ISOM leaf is rolled far younger and aged far shorter than darned near any other type of leaf and therefore has the greatest potential for aging elegantly and turning into a "lifetime crowning achievement" cigar if that makes any sense.

And Rudy, no the analog hygrometer has never once worked. The humi is gorgoeous and holds humidity like a CHAMP, but the construction and parts used were very very low quality. The finish of the wood, and the wood used is very very nice IMHO, but none of the fit and seal worked at ALL when I got it. The hygrometer hasn't ever moved meaning its never once worked, so it's just there for decoration (I like it regardless lol) and the seals were fixed by me getting some neoprene weatherstripping material and creating a airtight seal on the front and lid. I affixed the Xikar digital unit in the inside of the cabinet JUST under the bottom of the top display compartment, after I calibrated it with the salt test. It stays a VERY steady 67-69 rH and 63-65 degrees F. I would love for it to stay at 63-65% rH but I just cant make it drop no matter how many large blocks of spanish cedar I put in there. It does seem to be veeeeery gradually dropping over the coarse of weeks, and for the first two weeks I couldn't even keep a humidification device in there because it would skyrocket to 72-74% rH. Finally have it leveled off but higher than I WANT (not unsafe for mold etc, just want it lower) but I'm managing. All my other humis stay at 65-67% rH though.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Well, all I can say is that you're a better man than I am. There's no way in hell I could wait that long. Every time I'd open up the box, the damn thing would be calling to me. I'm sure it'll be well worth it if you can stick it out, though.
  • Options
    I had a chance to pick up one of these last spring when we were in Ireland, but opted for an R & J '07 Limited Edition Short Churchill instead. I also got a 7 year old Vegas Robania, a couple Partagas D's, a couple Punch Punch, a couple Trinidad Robustos, and a few Monitcristos.

Not one of them made it home.
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    JDH:
    I had a chance to pick up one of these last spring when we were in Ireland, but opted for an R & J '07 Limited Edition Short Churchill instead. I also got a 7 year old Vegas Robania, a couple Partagas D's, a couple Punch Punch, a couple Trinidad Robustos, and a few Monitcristos.

Not one of them made it home.
    That's sad to hear. Hopefully you were able to enjoy some while you were over there.
  • Options
    I enjoyed all of them while we were there. We were 18 days in Ireland, and I could not help myself.

I have no willpower.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    i am VERY jealouse of your humi man. superb collection. i now have a new goal in life :)
  • Options
    slickric:
    i am VERY jealouse of your humi man. superb collection. i now have a new goal in life :)
    I'm assuming you are talking about mine? If so thank you, took a while to put together but the brothers here have been amazing and key in all of it! IF not, well the other brothers have some GORGEOUS and insane setups as well!!
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Time to get organized!!!!!.....

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

I will post more pics after I get everything set up... may be a while. lol
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    You wouldn't think a cooler would have that much room in it.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    I was thinking the same. A TON of cigars can fit in that thing. BigT, do you have something seperating the boxes stacked on top of each other to allow air circulation?
  • Options
    howtobass:
    Direwolf:
    I was thinking the same. A TON of cigars can fit in that thing. BigT, do you have something seperating the boxes stacked on top of each other to allow air circulation?
    yeah. They all have pieces removed from them to allow good air flow. And if you notice the boxes on top are actually joined in sets of two that make slideable drawers. They rest perfectly on that lip that you see, and there's about an inch between them and the stuff below them. I also keep all of the bags open to allow air flow. I still have a couple modifications that I want to do that I haven't gotten to yet, but when its finished it will be awesome. Only prob is I wish it were bigger... that's a 120qt but when I build my next one I am going to use a 250qt marine cooler...
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Been a few days since this thread was updated so I figured I'd help out.

Here's my setup all laid out on the kitchen table. I keep everything in a closet usually, since I don't have a desk or anything and I'm good with that. Maybe some day I'll finish the garage makeover and move them down there if I get a bar setup. But until then I have my closet.

The 100-150 count (usually holds about 125 - 130 max) is my main humi and I've had it for about 6-7 years now I think, it was my second humi after a mold incident that I don't like to talk about. hahaha. So I use that one for my "top shelf", anything I'm aging, and anything that I have more than a few of. The smaller one (actually holds about 40 when maxed out) is my smoking humi and I've had that one for a year or so and its been able to help me organize the main one a bit better. And finally the tupperware comes in and out of use depending on what my needs are. Right now its holding the curley heads.

Here's the smoking humi. Those are two humipucks that I pulled apart and filled with 70% beads and they keep things pretty perfect in there. The analog hygro is spot on but I rotate the digital one through all 3 humidors on occassion just to double check the analog ones.
    Then there's my big guy. This is the upper deck, with the "top shelf" smokes on the left and the multiples on the right and down below. For humidification I run the two humidifiers that came with the humidor that have been pulled apart and filled with beads and then underneath the tray I glued a larger humidifier that has also been pulled apart and filled with beads and its just right. Also this analog hygro is spot on as well, but like I said I have a digital one that I rotate just to check. All in all the setup works pretty freaking well for my smoking needs. Some day I'll upgrade and go bigger, but this works for me. I have to do something about the space in there though, that is the problem.

Here's the under Tray Humidifier

Below Deck

and everything from this one laid out.
  • Options
    Very nice Boyd! Some great sticks in there.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Here's one of the cooler I took last night.
    I'll try to get a few more better lit shots later.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    Very nice, stephen. You are def on to something with the bundling... I may have to put that in play in my cooler sa well... prob breathes much better than in open bags.

I could bunch by brand, or wrapper, or age... hmm. Got my brain going now, this may be this Wednesday's project!
  • Options
    Yeah man saves a ton of space compared to boxes.
    Hell once I stopped storing boxes I doubled my capacity.

• Options
    I have my cooler packed very efficiently (see pics in BigT's coolidor pics thread. page 3 in gen disc.) but I am looking at the breathing aspects of bundling being far beyone that of bag storage. Do you ever have issues with damage bundling? Also, do you only bundle sticks for aging or do you do everything? seems like every time you took a stick out to smoke it would make the bundle loose...?
  • Options
    No problems with damage I'm a cello on guy. And as far as the bundle getting loose I just tie it with ribbon take one out pull the ends of the ribbon slightly and it's back in business.

And I only bundle in my cooler, my humis are still loose sticks.
    I almost never open my humidors. So I guess by default those are aging.

• Options
    BigT06:
    Very nice Boyd! Some great sticks in there.
    Thanks Todd
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Here's one of the cooler I took last night.
    I'll try to get a few more better lit shots later.
    Love the lights Stephen, freaking slick in there.
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Some great looking pictures here guys. Its great to see how creative everyone gets with storage and their cigars. I have to admit though, I have to stop looking at this thread..it just make me want to go hog wild. Ha!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Man Boyd and Stephen you guys make me sick! but in a good way lol
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Well had to revamp my set up because believe it or not I have ran out of room. :-( Had to take some of the boxes out and put them in bags. Bad thing is I just sent an email to Andrew for more! Anyway thought I'd bump this thread, and show my temp setup, till I can get a bigger something to house my sticks!

Sorry for the glare...my phone wouldn't cooperate with me.

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    just a bump... this baby was going strong and I KNOW you guys got some good stuff from Xmas to show off... I didn't get any cigar stuff, but I scored a lot of scotch!

my bar is a little cluttered, but here they are... The Glenfiddich 15 was from my Mother-in-Law, The Glenrothes was from a secret santa thing we do with my wife's family, the Glenlivet 12 was from my Ccom Secret Santa (thanks Greg!) and the Jura 16 was from my wife... 4 bottles and man are they different... the Jura is probably my favorite, but they are all nice...

2012-01-02_08-44-29_84