Home General Discussion
Options

Breaking Cigar News

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TRayB said:

Hmmm, A-B is one of my favorite brands. How do these things typically go? Does the product change much? Eliminating some labels, putting new management in place, or what?

It depends. Product could remain the same because they bought the entire operation. SKUs will probably be rearranged some and I’m sure new management will be in place.
    In the case of other companies they have bought, in my opinion quality suffered because they are more concerned with quantity than the quality that the previous owners upheld.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 , I suppose the two sons have been groomed for their own business, as some of the cigars produced are called Alec & Bradley, not Alec Bradley, so they may break off and do their own thing. Maybe Alan Rubin is ready to retire, so this makes sense for the family.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what Charlie "Great Words Live In My Head" Minato has to say about it. It's actually a good read.

https://halfwheel.com/13-thoughts-stg-buys-alec-bradley/420317/?fbclid=IwAR2Rml2l6BDHemOay2u9i_KOv-O1Uw7AcFoukcYh6RVcz1kqVYKVpIvPOvg

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Peter.
    And Phillip Morris owns controlling interest in Swedish Match.
    https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/philip-morris-says-delist-swedish-match-after-raising-stake-93-2022-11-28/

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Rdp77 . It sounds like the same old corporate gobbledy-gook that is spouted at every merger/acquisition. I agree with the first commenter, I don't think Alan Rubin will be with STG for long, and hopefully they didn't sign a non-compete agreement.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    OZGENER MOVES PRODUCTION OF BOSPHORUS TO TABACALERA LA ALIANZA (EPC's factory)

https://halfwheel.com/ozgener-moves-production-of-bosphorus-to-tabacalera-la-alianza/415550/#

I wonder if more will be leaving Tabacalera Pichardo in the future.

The blend is changing a bit as part of the move, as the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper on the original is being replaced with an Ecuadorian Habana 2000 leaf.

Too bad, I've been loving Sumatra wrapper lately.

I was looking at these this morning, looks like getting some now before the old stock has disappeared is in order. Have you tried this stick? SB still has the Sumatra wrapper ones.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a good idea.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems every NFT is selling for 100,000k. The LFD ones all went for about that.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Patrickbrick said:
    It seems every NFT is selling for 100,000k. The LFD ones all went for about that.

I followed the LFD one pretty close. There was one that sold for 105k and one that went for 106k. Now everything I’m reading says they went for under 100 and that the first Tat one broke the record. There’s some bullshìt surrounding this stuff…well, I mean other than the fact that they’re complete bullshít to start with in my opinion

• Options

Alternative facts.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    Alternative facts.

Which is an oxymoron

• Options

Halfwheel has reported the following companies have announced price increases most starting in February. You know what to do.

1. Altadis
    2. BLTC
    3. Boveda
    4. Casa Cuevas
    5. Davidoff
    6. Drew Estate
    7. EPC
    8. Esteban
    9. HVC
    10. Oliva
    11. Perdomo
    12. RoMa Craft
    13. Southern Draw
    14. Villiger

https://halfwheel.com/roma-craft-tobac-increasing-prices-next-month/432600/

https://halfwheel.com/?s=&q=increasing+prices

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

AJ also ↑

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's actually looking like I may become an "occasional" smoker, even my yard gars are getting higher, seems like weekly.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

What also gets me in the astronomical price increases of the Year of the _____ cigars.
    Patel $35,
    Davidoff $59
    Olivia $35
    Gurkha $25
    VegaFina $15

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case y'all didn't know, the Fuente Fuente impossible 13 collection is up for grabs at SP for the low low price of $2,600.00 if you're interested.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

I do think that's a charity gig, though, so that buys them some slack.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

On a lighter note, I thought todays Daily Deal #2 was good

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the quality doesn’t go down, but potentially Rip Caldwell.

https://halfwheel.com/laudisi-acquires-caldwell-cigar-co/435617/

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^That explains the crazy deals I’ve been seeing on this one cigar page. There is usually something that precipitates a slew of deals (sale, line elimination or packaging change usually). Good information to have.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stock up on The Wiseman if you like em.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

They’ll be better after the switch

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what the difference will be between El Gueguense and the new Wise Man Corojo.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

I wanted to like the gueguense but found them somewhat unexciting, have a bunch of them . Maybe if the wise man are worse I will like the old ones better, lol.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're they made by My Father before this or are they now going to be made by My Father? Would seem like different farms/crops.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.