Home General Discussion
Options

Special cigar gift

Comments

• Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    rzaman:
    Lol..you don't want my job because it is very stressful. However, at the same time I love it.
    Imgembo:
    Heavy:
    Holy $hit! Guess it's an understatement to say that you don't see something like that every day. Awesome pickup and very cool story.. thanks for sharing.

Do you think you'll ever smoke them?
    Dude what ever it is you do for a living i hope to grow up and do that to!. You have a killer story almost every damn day. Congrats on that pick up. Beautiful presentation!
    whatever it is, its gotta be pretty cool. The cigars you have posted in this thread are awesome!
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imgembo:
    Heavy:
    Holy $hit! Guess it's an understatement to say that you don't see something like that every day. Awesome pickup and very cool story.. thanks for sharing.

Do you think you'll ever smoke them?
    Dude what ever it is you do for a living i hope to grow up and do that to!. You have a killer story almost every damn day. Congrats on that pick up. Beautiful presentation!
    >>> XX
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I told you I hate you right???? lmao Infrickincredible,,Enjoy!!!!!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Yes you did but I like you LOL. BTW, which part of Washington State are you from? My current home city and State is Lakewood, Washington though I am from east coast.
    The Kid:
  • Options
    So I assume that box is from 2002?
  • Options
    Yes it is. Presidente Electo means elected President.
    danielzreyes:
    So I assume that box is from 2002?
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Awesome gift! I'm jealous.
  • Options
    You are welcome Robert. last month I also acquired a half box of Cuban State gift- Fidel's favorite Cohiba Lancero. I will share the story and picture tomorrow.
    Roberto99:
    Thanks for sharing all this with us. Things most of us here would never get to see.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome! Talk about perks of the job.
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Wow...incredible Ripon. I told you, next assignment beautiful Baltimore buddy.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Yes you did but I like you LOL. BTW, which part of Washington State are you from? My current home city and State is Lakewood, Washington though I am from east coast.
    The Kid:
    lol,,,Im up north of Everett,, however Shotgun John and BigfnSteve are real close to you!!!!
  • Options

Last month I had a meeting with a local official. I had great feeling the moment I entered in his office. The room had distictive colonial look with high ceiling, tall Spanish design pillars, antique painting, dark wood furniture and wide veranda end to the office room overlooking Lake Managua. The first thing I noticed was strong tobacco smell. Ah...good still some people can smoke inside the government building. I knew that he has been educated in London and heavily influenced by the European culture and taste. I also noticed, a beautiful huge cigar cabinet with full of cigar boxes. Before jumped to the meeting, he asked me if I like Nicaragua and why. I replied yes because it produces cigars and also a beautiful country. He smiled and said let's smoke a cigar first with Nicaraguan brewed coffee.

He brought a Cohiba box from the cabinet which I had never seen before. I was also surprised because I though he would offer me a Nicaraguan cigar. He understood from my facial expression that I am familiar with different cigars but not familiar with this box. He smiled and said because this is very special Cuban State gift. This Cohiba Lanceros were releases early 1980s. Fidel Castro's favorite size though he doesn't smoke anymore. He was given the box by a Cuban delegate couple years ago. We talked about cigar a little and I was surprised to know that he doesn't smoke anything besides Cuban. Definitely, he was a very experienced smoker. We exchanged little bit of our cigar passion and felt connected within ten minutes. I had many Cohiba Lanceros but this one was just from a different world. The matured flavor with strong aroma is nothing like any regular Lanceros.

We had a productive two and half hours meeting. When I was leaving he called me - "amigo, you like cigar. Let me show you my collection." I was very happy but didn't want to express my strong interest because I had a different work agenda. His cabinet was full of different Cuban brands from 1970 to 2005. I was simply impressed and told him - "you have a great collection and I appreciate for showing me your collection." I turn around to leave and he called me again and said - Amigo I would like you to have this Cohiba box because I can get more of these. I was shocked and wanted to know why. He said during our meeting he noticed that the whole time I couldn't take my eyes off from the box on the coffee table. He felt my strong desire to have them. In Latin culture people can be very generious so I did not hesitate to accept the box but in return I gave him my nice fountain pen which he couldn't take his eyes off during our meeting-:) He apologized again and again for not having a full box but he added some other cigars to fill up the box.

Here are some pictures of my recently acquired Cuban State gift. Again, I love cigar, the people and the culture around it.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    in the KID'S words I hate you! Lol you should been like ay compadre que regalo!
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Sweet mother of mercy, it just keeps getting better and better. Will you marry me?
  • Options
    Oh how I would love to get my hands on a Cohiba Lancero. XX
  • Options

Some of you are familiar with my friend "He-man: The Master of the Cuban Cigar". He is a very interesting person - a businessman, philosopher, painter, a cigar aficionado, collector of vintage cigars, Art and books. He owns the Casa del Habanos sole distributorship in Nicaragua and Costa Rica. His cigar venture is just a hobby, he spends more time to his other ventures but he truly loves cigar and specially learning about the cigar production. He is also working on a very special cigar project. I will talk about it some other time. He-man spends some of his free time traveling around the cigar producing countries to enhance his knowledge on cigars. Last week, he called me and wanted me to go with him in Honduras. He was going to visit Fabrica de Tabacos Raices Cubanas where they make famous Viaje, Illusion, AB Prensado cigars. For a prior commitment I had to pass the invitation.

He spent two days there and after his return he sent me many SMS to get together. I did not understand what was the rush but I had a feeling that he had something special to share with me. Finally, I went to his house yesterday to check what was all the fuzz about. Indeed, a great surprise was waiting for me. He gave me ten Viaje Oro Delicado Reserva cigars which was never released to the market. The Viaje Oro line has eight cigars - Fuerza, Chico, Grand Fuerza, Torpedo, Delicado, VOR #5 and VOR DT box pressed. I have never seen Viaje Oro Delicado Reserva. He met the owner of Fabrica de Tabacos Racies Cubanas. He runs his business with his wife and his son who oversees the marketing in the US. They are originally from Cuba and runs the factory. When the owner asked if he wanted to have something special, he immediately asked for Viaje, In fact He-Man had his first Viaje Oro reserve no. 5 2010 release with me. We share our best collection with each other. When the owner asked where did he learned about this cigar, he told him little bit about me. He immediately extended an invitation to me through my friend. Here is the special cigar picture which came to me with an extended invitation to visit Fabrica de Tabacos Racies Cubanas. I can't wait to visit this famous cigar factory.
    Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Take tons of pics Rip, that will be a great trip.
  • Options
    of course...I will take thousands of pictures. They are also working on their own cigar brand now. I am very curious to try some the testing blends. The problem is the Honduran side can be little violent sometime and the crime rate is pretty high. Though Nicaragua is considered as the poorest country in Central America but at the same time it is also the most peaceful nation in entire Central America. I have to ask for a permission to cross the border. we can't visit anywhere without a permission. However, I am determined to visit this factory. I just have to plan in advance.
    catfishbluezz:
    Take tons of pics Rip, that will be a great trip.
  • Options

I brought this old post"Custom made Padron 1926 80th Anniversary" back to this thread because my recent special cigar gift is linked with the same person. I am trying to maintain the link between the two events. I will post tonight when I go home...stay tuned.

=========================================================

I attended a social event last night where couple of local prominent business people and the government officials were present. I have been friends with this gentleman for a while. He is a local businessman and friends with Padron family who loves only 1926 line cigars. I always see him smoking Padron 1926 80th Maduro or 1926 number 9. I gave him many good cigars but he never liked any of them except Viaje Oro Reserva #5. He loves P1926 80th Maduro so much that he wanted to enjoy the cigar in a different shape with the same wrapper, binder and tobacco rather than only in perfecto shape. Per his request Jeorge Padron custom made a long Churchill box pressed shape 1926 80th only for him. My friend knows that I collect cigars and always looking for special cigar. I was lucky to enjoy Padron Millennium from his private collection. He gave me one his custom made Padron 1926 80th Maduro last night. He wants to know my opinion. I can't wait to smoke the cigar and compare with the perfecto shape. Here is a picture of them side by side.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    lukemcklukemck Posts: 45
    h.o.l.y. crap.. this may be my new favorite thread..

Just amazing stories/experiences/pictures.. You're the man rza
  • Options

The reason I posted the old thread few hours ago because these cigar gift came from the same friend who gave me the custom made Padron 1926 80th Maduro. He is very close to the Padron family. I also smoked my first Padron Millennium from his private collection. He got one full limited edition humidor which is part of the original 1,000 boxes. Last time when I smoked the cigar I had few extra-extra drinks-J I was also in a business environment so I couldn’t enjoy the cigar properly. However, I asked for some more after that night but he always gently refused and offered something else.

Anyway, today, I went to his house for a business meeting. I took two Davidoff Royal Robusto for him to show my appreciation for the special custom made Padron 1926 80th anniversary cigar he gave me last time. We were having the meeting in his personal library. He immediately light up one Davidoff Royal Robusto. After the first puff he screamed with joy and said-”Man what is this?” I told him little bit about the special limited release Davidoff Royal Robusto cigar. Within few puffs he just stopped business talk and said - “let me enjoy this cigar, business can wait.” Remember, this was coming from a very experienced smoker who does not smoke anything except Padron 1926 No.9, 80th anniversary, Millennium and lately Viaje Oro Reserve No.5.

He shook my hand and said- my friend, you made me very happy today. I want to do something nice for you. I said- well, I am happy to see that finally you liked something outside Padron and Viaje. He laughed and brought his Padrom Millennium Humidor, open it and gave me three sticks. I was shocked and froze for a second with happiness. I couldn’t believe that I just got three super rare Padron Millenium cigars in my possession. I almost gave up my hope for this cigar.

On occasion Padron manufactures a special release to commemorate a significant family date or event. In 2000, a celebration of the Millennium was marked with a limited production of 1,000 cases of 100 individually and sequentially numbered cigars. Today, there are no cases available with the exception of Padron family’s personal collection(Source: Padron website) That is the story about my special cigar gift today. These cigars were rolled in 2009 and released in the year 2000 and aged 5 years before that. Until today, they are 18 years aged. I can’t wait to smoke one. I am very proud adding them to my collection. I just wanted to share my joy and happiness with the BOTLs here.
    Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I just got an erection!
  • Options
    woodymanwoodyman Posts: 39
    Just spent a few minutes reading through this thread, and checkout out all your pictures! You my friend have one beautiful collection! Congrats on it all, I can tell you really enjoy your smokes. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Thanks...I do enjoy my smoke. I enjoy everything about a cigar and the culture around it. It is a beautiful world where I can easily get lost and forget all the stressful things in life.
    woodyman:
    Just spent a few minutes reading through this thread, and checkout out all your pictures! You my friend have one beautiful collection! Congrats on it all, I can tell you really enjoy your smokes. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    woodymanwoodyman Posts: 39
    You and me both, still new to cigar world myself, but enjoying it more and more as I get more involved and into the culture behind it! It's defiantly been a good choice to get into cigars!
    rzaman:
    Thanks...I do enjoy my smoke. I enjoy everything about a cigar and the culture around it. It is a beautiful world where I can easily get lost and forget all the stressful things in life.
    woodyman:
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I apologize if this has been asked, but has it been kept in a humidor? I agree that you should hold on to it. Smoke it the next time we declare war on Japan.
  • Options
    Yes, they have been in the original Padron Millenium humidor. These 1000 limited edition humiodors were manufactured in Italy. They are very well made. If I wait until we declare a war on Japan then I will never smoke them because we will never declare another war against Japan LOL.
    Streater:
    I apologize if this has been asked, but has it been kept in a humidor? I agree that you should hold on to it. Smoke it the next time we declare war on Japan.
  • Options

For a while I was searching for a Cuban cigar source who can offer me continuous supply. Finally!!! my dream come true. One of my colleagues informed me that there is Romeo Julieta cigar festival going on in a local business hotel. I might find some Cuban cigars there. I attended many cigar festivals, gathering and every time I was disappointed. On top of that after a long work day, I wanted to get back home. On the way back when I mentioned that to my wife, she encouraged me to go. Her logic was there is nothing to lose; at least I can enjoy a cigar with some aficionados. Well, I had no idea then what was waiting for me. The story gets better. When I went there, I found couple boxes of good Cuban cigars and the sells girls were trying their best to attract the guests. I was looking around and trying to find out who brought these cigars in Nicaragua. As a cigar producing country imported cigars has high tax and also can produce fake Cuban puros easily. I was walking around, checking the cigars (all genuin Cuban cigars). Suddenly, I met a girl who I knew before. She works in the steak house and sold some Padron cigars to me. The hotel has a Genuin Padron shop but the price is what a five star hotel usually offers. She came to me with a big smile and said- here you are. I was thinking of you. Let me introduce you with the He-Man of Cuban cigar in Nicaragua. Long story in short, this prominent local businessman recently got the license to distribute Cuban cigar in Nicaragua and Costa Rica (I have already verified it with a legitimate source). I knew his family through work but never met him in person. He is sincere, super friendly local entrepreneur who is also a huge cigar lover. This is not his core business but he wanted to do it for fun. He was very happy to meet me and introduced me with the hotel manager and some other local government officials. I was offered the best table to share good Japanese food, drinks and cigar. I was listening to the classical Spanish song and talking about my cigar passion. Finally, I got the offer from him- my friend, whatever you need just name it but let's not talk about business rather than enjoy the event. I will call you soon. That's how I left the event. Today, I received an email from him and he asked me what am I looking for- DANG. He told me anything from Cuba plus some vintage selection. That was a shock and awe moment. I reminded myself one more time- cigar is not only a smoke but also a way to enjoy great friendship. I simply told myself, you just met He-Man the Master of the Cuban cigar. I am going to meet him soon for a smoke and let you know about my next discovery.[Posted: 03-07-2012]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The reason I re-posted one of my previous thread(He-Man: The Master of the Cuban cigar) just to give you an idea how I met my friend He-Man. I met him in March/2010, after that we had few email exchanges and finally a dinner in my house. I believe I talked about that in somewhere here. Indeed, we became very close friends. Our relationship reached up to a point where our professional relationship turned into a sincere friendship. I spend at least 2-5 days a month with him. Finally, last week we teamed up with blending a cigar.

Last night, He-Man called me and wanted to see me. I was outside for a work event. However, I told him he can come at 10PM in my house and we can have a cigar and drinks together. He showed up exactly at 10PM. I felt that he was little sad. Sometime we have a lot of problem in life and all we need is to talk with someone who we feel comfortable with where we can vent. He asked me if it is true that I am leaving Nicaragua next year. I said yes and I do not have the option to extend my tour because I already extended a year. He gave me an empty look and said- “though we know each other for a short period of time but I think you became my best friend”. I was very shocked because that never occurred in my head. We do spend a lot of time together but best friend is something very special. Anyway I was very humbled and told him that I am much honored. He is much older than me so I also had that respectful generation gap with him. At least, that’s how I felt. Friendship has no age boundary but it is also a different culture for me. His eyes were filled with sadness and little tears. I really didn’t know how to handle the situation. I am always bad to express my actual emotion sometime. It can be my profession or it can be my personality. He gave me a bag and say this is for you. I open the bag and found two boxes of Cohiba Behike 52. I immediately said this is too much. He asked me “Rip can you measure friendship with money? You Americans are too practical sometime.” “You love Behike 52 and I just wanted you to have them. I have learned a lot from you about many non-cigar related things and happy to give you this gift.” It was an uncomfortable quiet moment. In Latin culture people can be very genuine, generous and sincere once they feel comfortable with someone. We talked a little about the upcoming blend and he left after 10 minutes or so.

Actually, I never gave that much thought about departing Nicaragua. I am very sad now to think about it. Something has grown inside me about this beautiful country and wonderful people. He-man’s sincere friendship and trust amaze me. These Behikes are not only a good cigar, these are very special gift from a friend who consider me as his best friend. All I can say is- these are priceless gift to me.
    Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Wow Rip. That is purely awesome. But, I have to admit, that through your post's, I can see why it is easy for people to like you and build that bond. I hope you enjoy it brother, that is one heck of a gift!
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Sweet jesus, my new fav thread.........