Home General Discussion
Options

Special cigar gift

Comments

• Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Phenomenal read, interesting, intriguing and true integrity, very classy act!:-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I just received these fine cigars as a gift from the Master blender Jose Blanco. The four cigars without bands are the original Opus X release. Jose got them directly from Carlito Fuente.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip! Long time no see. How are things? and as always, that's a fiiiiiiiine selection of sticks you got there.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    wow! Those are some great looking smokes there!! Another great selection to add to the already great selection of smokes!!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!!!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn rip nice haul!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a sweet score Rip! Jose seems like a cool dude..of course most cigar guys are.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Rip! Long time no see. How are things? and as always, that's a fiiiiiiiine selection of sticks you got there.

Hi Daniel, I am doing well. I have been busy lately and traveling around Latin America a lot for work. Things are calm now. How are you doing buddy?
  • Options
    Thanks Ricky & Lee. I am really happy to have the original Opus X.
  • Options
    Thanks Jim. Ya Jose is a very nice guy. I don't know if most cigar guys are cool but few of them are.
    Bigshizza:
    That's a sweet score Rip! Jose seems like a cool dude..of course most cigar guys are.
  • Options

Few weeks back, I was invited to visit Don Pepin’s “MY Father” factory and his tobacco plantation. I was so impressed to meet Pepin, Jamie, his wife and some of his staffs. His hospitality and humbleness simply amazed me. I was always impressed with Orlando Pardon but Don Pepin took over that position after I met him. I still respect Orlando pardon but Pepin is more straight forward and honest about cigar related hype. I consider myself a cigar fact finder and few people in the industry share the facts rather than the hype. This is a very competitive industry but still there are few sincere and good people like Don Pepin and Jamie Garcia. He is a simple man and reminds me a lot of Cuban Don Alejandro Robina. Garcia family’s hospitality is completely genuine with traditional Cuban touch. I have posted some information and will post more in the future. Here are some cigars he gifted me during my visit. These are very special to me.
    photo Gigante13001_zps4c51c882.jpg
    Pepin Garcia 10th Anniversary: DPG Limited Edition

photo Gigante13003_zps2ad5a3a1.jpg

Pepin’s personal smokes

photo MyFathertripMarch13369_zpsae8126ef.jpg

Original El Centurion Gurerro LE 2007 release

photo MyFathertripMarch13368_zps61ae174f.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13370_zps623e70c2.jpg photo MyFathertripMarch13367_zps0b4e3e12.jpg
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is awesome. I haven't had time to read all the stories, but what I have read leaves me astonished. It really warms the heart to know there is generosity in the world.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    that's AWESOME. It just makes me respect Pepin that much more. That humo trio is awesome. Those three are some of my favorite Pepin cigars.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for sharing this special story and pictures, I'm so happy for you brother and congrats on meeting the best man in the cigar industry today (just my humble opinion, but I do believe that) and for sharing this bro!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I'm curious to see what you think of Pepin personal smokes
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Rip, you never cease to amaze me. I think it's awesome that you share so much neat stuff with this forum.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    Rip, you never cease to amaze me. I think it's awesome that you share so much neat stuff with this forum.
    Couldn't have out it better myself Dennis, a big +1
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I will post my review when I smoke them.
    big chunks:
  • Options
    Thanks Dennis. It is more fun to share our experience with each other. This way we become more educated about our passionate hobby.
    dennisking:
  • Options
    Thanks Brett!
    90+ Irishman:
    dennisking:
    Couldn't have out it better myself Dennis, a big +1
  • Options

During my last trip to Cuba, I met La China from Partagas, Yolanda Gonzalez from Melia Cohiba Hotel casa del habano store, Hamlet Jamie Paredes from CDH now with Partagas, Monsdale, Jose Luis Perez Mingollo from Cohiba factory, Jorge Lopez Leal from CDH La Habano Diplomatic Club. I was lucky to meet Jose Castelar who is a Cuban cigar roller and rolled a 70 meter cigar to break his own Guinness world record in 2012. They are all very humble people and gifted me some of their custom rolled cigars. These are not for sale. All of these cigars have at least 5-7 years of aged tobacco. I also received two cigars from Don Alejandro Robina's grandson Hiroshi Robina. These cigars were specially rolled for Don Alejandro Robina. I met Hiroshi in Pinar del Rio. They are at least 15 years aged. Thanks to my friend of Casa del Habano, otherwise I wouldn’t have had the privilege to meet these top cigar rollers and collect these babies. I learned a lot from them.

Don Alejandro Robina's personal sticks. I will smoke one and the second one will remain in my collection for many years.
    photo Cuba2ndtour004_zps19088e37.jpg
    From La China, Halmet Paredes, Monsdale and Jose Castelar. Most of them were blended and rolled for the Partagas cigar festival.
    photo Cuba2ndtour007_zps1566dd2c.jpg photo Cuba2ndtour008_zps31552f29.jpg
    From Jose Luis Perez Mingollo of Cohiba factory and Jorge Lopez Leal from CDH La Habano Diplomatic Club.
    photo Cuba2ndtour006_zpsada71545.jpg
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Rip!Hope all is well.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    What sizes are the Robaina?
  • Options
    StsepasStsepas Posts: 475
    rzaman:
    big chunks:
    Rip thanks for sharing your tra els and stories that Accompany them are outstanding Thanks again,and enjoy your travels wherever they may take you !!!!
  • Options
    AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Thank you Rip, again.... you are living the dream!!!!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Again. Your post fills my heart with dreams!
  • Options
    Thanks Randy!
    Rain:
    Thanks for sharing Rip!Hope all is well.
  • Options
    Hi Dustin, one of them is Robusto and the other one in off size.
    catfishbluezz:
    What sizes are the Robaina?
  • Options
    I appreciate your kind words...thanks Steve!
    Stsepas:
    rzaman:
    big chunks:
    Rip thanks for sharing your tra els and stories that Accompany them are outstanding Thanks again,and enjoy your travels wherever they may take you !!!!
  • Options
    Can't complain. Life is too short and I try to enjoy it as much as I can...thanks Jim.
    AVJim:
    Thank you Rip, again.... you are living the dream!!!!