Home General Discussion
Options

Special cigar gift

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks James. I learned one thing from my experience that honesty and sincerity is not only the best policy but also the best diplomacy. I try to be a sincere and responsible friend to people. Life Is not only about us, it is also about the people who lives around us. This is the main reason why I chose this career in my life. I wanted to make a difference in life.
    marineatbn03:
    Wow Rip. That is purely awesome. But, I have to admit, that through your post's, I can see why it is easy for people to like you and build that bond. I hope you enjoy it brother, that is one heck of a gift!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Thanks James. I learned one thing from my experience that honesty and sincerity is not only the best policy but also the best diplomacy. I try to be a sincere and responsible friend to people. Life Is not only about us, it is also about the people who lives around us. This is the main reason why I chose this career in my life. I wanted to make a difference in life.
    Not only that, it earns you respect.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    My dear friend Tony, do you know you always inspire me? Sometime you talk like a wise philosopher.
    0patience:
    rzaman:
    Not only that, it earns you respect.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    My dear friend Tony, do you know you always inspire me? Sometime you talk like a wise philosoper.]
    Thanks Rip. I regard that compliment very highly.
    Honor, respect and integrity are values that I wish a lot of folks would take more seriously.

A lot of life's lessons teach us humility, especially when the proper lessons are applied.
    I grew up poor, but then experienced what life was like in another country. After that, my outlook on poor was completely different.

I wish a lot of young folks could learn that humility in their lives.
    I keep telling my boys that wisdom comes with experiencing different things. Good and bad. Those bad things are as important as the good and they shape your character. It is how you react and overcome those bad things that show you what you are capable of.

Sorry, I got lost there for a minute. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Well said...I completely agree with you. At the same time, I can feel your sentiment which is perfectly fine.
    0patience:
    rzaman:
    My dear friend Tony, do you know you always inspire me? Sometime you talk like a wise philosoper.]
    Thanks Rip. I regard that compliment very highly.
    Honor, respect and integrity are values that I wish a lot of folks would take more seriously.

A lot of life's lessons teach us humility, especially when the proper lessons are applied.
    I grew up poor, but then experienced what life was like in another country. After that, my outlook on poor was completely different.

I wish a lot of young folks could learn that humility in their lives.
    I keep telling my boys that wisdom comes with experiencing different things. Good and bad. Those bad things are as important as the good and they shape your character. It is how you react and overcome those bad things that show you what you are capable of.

Sorry, I got lost there for a minute. LOL!
  • Options
    Recently I have developed some relationship(not friendship yet) with one of Davidoff's senior marketing executive. I have been learning a lot about Davidoff cigars, production and the industry through his vast knowledge. He shares a lot of infomtaion and facts about cigars with me. Last time when we got together, he asked me if I want anything special. I asked for Cuban Davidoff. He smiled and said he will look into that. Meanwhile, he would sent me something rare and one of top Davidoff cigar for my review to enhance my smoking experience. This morning one of his associate dropped these to my office. I was very impressed for not forgetting about me and his promise. Here is a picture while still waiting for Cuban made Davidoff.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Recently I have developed some relationship(not friendship yet) with one of Davidoff's senior marketing executive. I have been learning a lot about Davidoff cigars, production and the industry through his vast knowledge. He shares a lot of infomtaion and facts about cigars with me. Last time when we got together, he asked me if I want anything special. I asked for Cuban Davidoff. He smiled and said he will look into that. Meanwhile, he would sent me something rare and one of top Davidoff cigar for my review to enhance my smoking experience. This morning one of his associate dropped these to my office. I was very impressed for not forgetting about me and his promise. Here is a picture while still waiting for Cuban made Davidoff.
    Photobucket
    Dang Rip, reading your posts and seeing the pictures is like taking a vacation. Thanks for the break!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes this is 1 awesome thread, reeading your guys stories, i felt lost in them and really felt what u felt when u tell them. I learn more and more everyday just reading threads like this. Hope 1 day i would b honored to meet some of u and have my own stories to share. Keep it up.
  • Options
    Thanks Jim. I am glad to know that my post gave you such a nice feeling. I do not post all my stories but once in a while enjoy sharing them because I do not want to look like showing off myself.
    Bigshizza:
    rzaman:
    Photobucket
    Dang Rip, reading your posts and seeing the pictures is like taking a vacation. Thanks for the break!
  • Options
    Ray, I feel the same way. I have been a member here for a while but never had the chance to herf with anyone from here.
    Glock1975:
    Yes this is 1 awesome thread, reeading your guys stories, i felt lost in them and really felt what u felt when u tell them. I learn more and more everyday just reading threads like this. Hope 1 day i would b honored to meet some of u and have my own stories to share. Keep it up.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Man this is awesome!! I need your job so I can get hooked up with some special smokes! I do enjoy reading about the stories you write and how the smokes were given to you and why. Very nice Rip! And please post the Cuban Davidoff, the white whale of many cigar smokers around the world!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Shawn. I will definetly review the Cuban Davidoff. I have more cigar stories and will post them soon.
    zeebra:
    Man this is awesome!! I need your job so I can get hooked up with some special smokes! I do enjoy reading about the stories you write and how the smokes were given to you and why. Very nice Rip! And please post the Cuban Davidoff, the white whale of many cigar smokers around the world!!!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Thanks Shawn. I will definetly review the Cuban Davidoff. I have more cigar stories and will post them soon.
    zeebra:
    did you get one? If not, I see them from time to time for sale, it's not often though and it's expensive of course.
  • Options
    Hey Dustin, please PM me if you see it again. I will definetly buy them. I will figure out something later how to bring them to me LOL. Are they legitimate sources?
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    zeebra:
    did you get one? If not, I see them from time to time for sale, it's not often though and it's expensive of course.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Hey Dustin, please PM me if you see it again. I will definetly buy them. I will figure out something later how to bring them to me LOL. Are they legitimate sources?
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    zeebra:
    ill PM you later tonight
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    This is a great thread to read and it motivates me to start making my own cigar connections. I wish I could still smoke in my office.
  • Options
    Thanks Goldy. Living and working in Nicaragua helps me to meet all kinds of cigar people but most of them are full of BS. Few of them talks about the real facts and share true information. Nicaragua is flooded by so-called cigar marketers and it brought the unique challenge for the future of the cigar industry.

Nicaragua is a developing country and it needs hard currency to maintain a balanced budget. It became very difficult to age tobacco now a days because too many so-called cigar makers are here and rushing the locals to roll cigar for the market. However, at the same time there is also company like Padron who is doing their as usual job- control A-Z from seeds to cigar and never rush their production for quick profit. Along with Padron there are also few other cigar makers who is working hard to maintain quality production. As you know that Pete Johnson is diversifying his profit to wine business because he believes as a cigar maker and blender there is a limit. It is becoming matured. I have been observing the Nicaraguan industry over three years, meet many people but end up friendship with handful of people. I love cigar and I have no business interest so I enjoy a small group of sincere cigar friend circle. It is a lot fun when bunch of true cigar lover get together and share the passion with each other.
    Goldy:
    This is a great thread to read and it motivates me to start making my own cigar connections. I wish I could still smoke in my office.
  • Options

After my trip to Cuba, I learned one thing that in Cuba they do not age cigars. It is not a capitalist country and they do not have the concept of age cigars and sell them later for higher profit. The other reason is, they believe in quick cash. Aging cigar is a foreign concept. On top of that Cubans cannot afford to smoke the true Habano cigars. There is no Cuban cigar collector except few senior Government Officials. In fact, true Habanos are very limited production but there are many Cuban puros. I will talk about it some other time.

One of my main goal visiting Cuba was to collect vintage Cuban cigars. Especially a box of Cuban made Davidoff and Dunhill cigar. There are almost nine Casa del Habano shops in Havana plus some other cigar shops. I visited almost all the Casa del habno and some other regular cigar stores but no vintage cigars. It was a huge shock for me. However, very few shops rarely have some vintage boxes but even the shop keepers do not recall them or keep track of them. I found some 5-10 years aged cigar boxes after hours and hours of search. In a nutshell, if you asked for even five years aged cigar box the Cuban sells people will give you a blank look. This is the fact I experienced in Havana and Pinar del Rio.

I met many top Cuban cigar personalities, included one of the director of casa del Habano but all of them disappointed me. After hanging around and smoking few days with one of the Director of CDH, I believe he started liking me a little. Cubans are always nervous about the foreigners and specially the Americans. It is a tightly controlled nation. Finally, he told me that CDH has some but they consider them as national asset and part of the production history and CDH is not allowed to sell them. Cuba controls Casa del Habano with unbelievable tight rules and regulations. The quality control and marketing will be another topic for another time. Finally, he told me that what I am looking for is not available in Cuba rather than in some European and Asian countries. However, he gave me a name and phone number of a European. At the same time, he warned me not to tell anyone that he gave me the number of the individual. Everything in Cuba is confidential. I was simply desperate and did not want to leave Cuba without Cuban Davidoff or Dunhill with knowing that I need to be practical. At the same time, I knew that I was in an unfriendly territory where one mistake can make my life very difficult as an American. I ran the name though one of my contact and he discovered that it was the number of a European ambassador. He warned me this man can be complicated. I have taken risk many times in my life and I thought I would give a try.

It was his personal cell number. After my call he picked up the phone and took few seconds to figure out who is on the other side of the call. I didn’t try to make it long because I knew that I had one shot and one kill situation. He listened to me for three minutes without hang up the phone. He simply answers- “hmmm…. I can see you love cigar and you came all the way for a particular cigar without realizing that this cigars are history. I will not talk to you further if you do not tell me who gave you my personal number.” I took a pause and replied- “Ambassador, you are a public figure and a famous cigar enthusiastic and an avid collector. My understanding is you did many crazy things to have such a great collection. The difference between us is- I came to hunt too late. I wish I could tell you the name but I promised to him that I wouldn’t. I also promise to you that our conversation will remain private. ” He laughed at me loud and said-“Tell me little bit about yourself, you are interesting.” I told him little bit about myself and he asked-“I only have three of Davidoff Chateau Lafite from 1969 so you understand how special they are to me. Even if I feel to offer you only one then what can I expect in return?” I said- “I do not dare to offer you money because these are priceless and you are a very respectful person. I am offering you a dinner wherever you wish with a box of Cohiba Behike 52.” He immediately agreed.

Anyway, long story in short. Next day I met him in one of the most popular restaurant in the city. Of course we both recognized each other right away. I was holding the box of Behike and him with a black small travel humidor. He was a very interesting man. We had a great meal with fine drinks; we talked about world politics, cigars, Cuba and beyond. At the end of the dinner when the bill came, he immediately snatched the bill from the waiter and said-“are you crazy. How can I do this to you when your love cigar so much and came all the way to Cuba for Davidoff cigar. You impressed me enough. It was a pleasure to meet you. Here is your Davidoff and you owe me nothing. I am happy to give you one of my precious collections. Unfortunately, I cannot give you three.” It was a shock an awe moment. I simply thanked him for his generosity. Indeed, it was a beginning of a wonderful friendship. We spent another wonderful cigar evening before I left Cuba. That story is for another day. Again, I love cigar, its culture and the way it connects people with beautiful friendship.

Note: This is my first post about my Cuba cigar trip. For valid reason I will not mention the true names of many individual I met in Cuba. I will mention some names which I believe is fine to mention. Cuba is an unusual country and I do not want anyone to get into trouble. This is the only way I can share a lot of information with you. Thanks for your understanding.

Here are some pictures of my only Cuban Davidoff Chateau Lafite from 1969:
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an amazing story Rip. Gave me the chills a little. I'm happy that you finally found one.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    rzaman:

After my trip to Cuba, I learned one thing that in Cuba they do not age cigars. It is not a capitalist country and they do not have the concept of age cigars and sell them later for higher profit. The other reason is, they believe in quick cash. Aging cigar is a foreign concept. On top of that Cubans cannot afford to smoke the true Habano cigars. There is no Cuban cigar collector except few senior Government Officials. In fact, true Habanos are very limited production but there are many Cuban puros. I will talk about it some other time.

One of my main goal visiting Cuba was to collect vintage Cuban cigars. Especially a box of Cuban made Davidoff and Dunhill cigar. There are almost nine Casa del Habano shops in Havana plus some other cigar shops. I visited almost all the Casa del habno and some other regular cigar stores but no vintage cigars. It was a huge shock for me. However, very few shops rarely have some vintage boxes but even the shop keepers do not recall them or keep track of them. I found some 5-10 years aged cigar boxes after hours and hours of search. In a nutshell, if you asked for even five years aged cigar box the Cuban sells people will give you a blank look. This is the fact I experienced in Havana and Pinar del Rio.

I met many top Cuban cigar personalities, included one of the director of casa del Habano but all of them disappointed me. After hanging around and smoking few days with one of the Director of CDH, I believe he started liking me a little. Cubans are always nervous about the foreigners and specially the Americans. It is a tightly controlled nation. Finally, he told me that CDH has some but they consider them as national asset and part of the production history and CDH is not allowed to sell them. Cuba controls Casa del Habano with unbelievable tight rules and regulations. The quality control and marketing will be another topic for another time. Finally, he told me that what I am looking for is not available in Cuba rather than in some European and Asian countries. However, he gave me a name and phone number of a European. At the same time, he warned me not to tell anyone that he gave me the number of the individual. Everything in Cuba is confidential. I was simply desperate and did not want to leave Cuba without Cuban Davidoff or Dunhill with knowing that I need to be practical. At the same time, I knew that I was in an unfriendly territory where one mistake can make my life very difficult as an American. I ran the name though one of my contact and he discovered that it was the number of a European ambassador. He warned me this man can be complicated. I have taken risk many times in my life and I thought I would give a try.

It was his personal cell number. After my call he picked up the phone and took few seconds to figure out who is on the other side of the call. I didn’t try to make it long because I knew that I had one shot and one kill situation. He listened to me for three minutes without hang up the phone. He simply answers- “hmmm…. I can see you love cigar and you came all the way for a particular cigar without realizing that this cigars are history. I will not talk to you further if you do not tell me who gave you my personal number.” I took a pause and replied- “Ambassador, you are a public figure and a famous cigar enthusiastic and an avid collector. My understanding is you did many crazy things to have such a great collection. The difference between us is- I came to hunt too late. I wish I could tell you the name but I promised to him that I wouldn’t. I also promise to you that our conversation will remain private. ” He laughed at me loud and said-“Tell me little bit about yourself, you are interesting.” I told him little bit about myself and he asked-“I only have three of Davidoff Chateau Lafite from 1969 so you understand how special they are to me. Even if I feel to offer you only one then what can I expect in return?” I said- “I do not dare to offer you money because these are priceless and you are a very respectful person. I am offering you a dinner wherever you wish with a box of Cohiba Behike 52.” He immediately agreed.

Anyway, long story in short. Next day I met him in one of the most popular restaurant in the city. Of course we both recognized each other right away. I was holding the box of Behike and him with a black small travel humidor. He was a very interesting man. We had a great meal with fine drinks; we talked about world politics, cigars, Cuba and beyond. At the end of the dinner when the bill came, he immediately snatched the bill from the waiter and said-“are you crazy. How can I do this to you when your love cigar so much and came all the way to Cuba for Davidoff cigar. You impressed me enough. It was a pleasure to meet you. Here is your Davidoff and you owe me nothing. I am happy to give you one of my precious collections. Unfortunately, I cannot give you three.” It was a shock an awe moment. I simply thanked him for his generosity. Indeed, it was a beginning of a wonderful friendship. We spent another wonderful cigar evening before I left Cuba. That story is for another day. Again, I love cigar, its culture and the way it connects people with beautiful friendship.

Note: This is my first post about my Cuba cigar trip. For valid reason I will not mention the true names of many individual I met in Cuba. I will mention some names which I believe is fine to mention. Cuba is an unusual country and I do not want anyone to get into trouble. This is the only way I can share a lot of information with you. Thanks for your understanding.

Rip. I'm calling Oliver Stone immediately. You, sir are an exotic movie, all by yourself.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    very nice story.
    you have to take chances on things like that. im glad you did.
  • Options
    LoL...Oliver Stone is Fidel's buddy and was busted by Fed in 2003 for visiting Cuba. He tried to make a documentary about Fidel Castro. I visited Cuba with legal permission so please do not call him-:)
    beatnic:
    rzaman:

Rip. I'm calling Oliver Stone immediately. You, sir are an exotic movie, all by yourself.
  • Options
    Thanks Kuzi but when I think about it now, I do feel little nervous. It could have been easily a set up. Anyway, its past and we learn from our experience. I don't think I will ever do it again.
    kuzi16:
    very nice story.
  • Options
    Hell yeah Rip
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    rzaman:
    Thanks Kuzi but when I think about it now, I do feel little nervous. It could have been easily a set up. Anyway, its past and we learn from our experience. I don't think I will ever do it again.
    kuzi16:
    very nice story.
    I stand by my Oliver Stone reference. LOL Glad you had the experience Rip. You da man.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Rip that certainly is a great story! The cigar is awesome but the cat and mouse play between you two is very interesting. People are what makes the world a very beautiful and challenging place. Thanks!!
  • Options
    Dustin, still waiting for your message about the Davidoff LOL.
    catfishbluezz:
    Hell yeah Rip
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Dustin, still waiting for your message about the Davidoff LOL.
    catfishbluezz:
    Hell yeah Rip
    LOL! No worries bro, I'll send it over. Also got the owner of Ezra Zion's info to give to you so you can get them a bit cheaper ;)
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Great story, and no better a person to enjoy such a treasured cigar. Congrats on such an enjoyable trip!
  • Options
    Thanks Ben for your kind words. I was little disappointed for not finding a box but now I do not regret. At least, I got one. on top of that the friendship is a great bonus. Everything was unexpected but it was a fun experience.
    bbass2:
    Great story, and no better a person to enjoy such a treasured cigar. Congrats on such an enjoyable trip!