Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much yard? Check how much play the pulleys have any play and youll want to consider replacing asap because the spindle bearing assembly can add up in price and then you start to run into thin or straight broken sections of deck so pay close attention to deck is my best suggestion. I got a sweet deal on my Toro zero turn but I had to rebuild the deck with added armor in places because of stress cracks/breaks and some bad bearings still worth it.just want you to be aware.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jrflickster said:
    How much yard? Check how much play the pulleys have any play and youll want to consider replacing asap because the spindle bearing assembly can add up in price and then you start to run into thin or straight broken sections of deck so pay close attention to deck is my best suggestion. I got a sweet deal on my Toro zero turn but I had to rebuild the deck with added armor in places because of stress cracks/breaks and some bad bearings still worth it.just want you to be aware.

2 acres total, probably 1.5 acres worth of grass. Also, I've got no idea what any of that means :D . note to self, when raising kids, teach them about stuff like this. I'm assuming you're talking about this part? And making sure it's not going to snap off or something?

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

totally unrelated to the tractor 🚜 but did you decide to plant trees

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised @Stubble didn't suggest goats. See if he'll send you a male and female. Problem solved.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Agree with @genareddog I had a 1970s Estate tractor mower and I even gave up fixing it because of the upkeep cost and frustration and I'm telling you at 1.5-2 acres get a zero turn like I got mine is 51" and it takes Lindsay 30min to mow the backyard side front and both sides of our dead-end road in front of the house. Yes I said Lindsay... after she figured out how to use it I really don't use it at all anymore it's another one of her toys....

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Jrflickster said:

2 acres total, probably 1.5 acres worth of grass. Also, I've got no idea what any of that means :D . note to self, when raising kids, teach them about stuff like this. I'm assuming you're talking about this part? And making sure it's not going to snap off or something?

And yes that's exactly what I'm talking about

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    totally unrelated to the tractor 🚜 but did you decide to plant trees

Yeah I decided not to. I have fixed wireless internet, and I'm right at the edge of the range for what the tower can reach. Trees where I wanted to plant them could block the tower which means satellite internet would be my only option out here, and satellite internet is not great.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

A couple things to think about, @CalvinAndHobo . It sounds like you're not mechanically inclined / experienced. Nobody sells a mower that still has viable years left on it. If you are experienced and accustomed to maintenance and repair, you might get a couple years from it.

I mow a LOT. At least 5 acres. I have a John Deere tractor, 48" cut, and a Hustler Raptor 52" zero-turn. (I also have a 40hp Kubota tractor with a 6' Woods bush-hog, but that's another story. 25 acres with about 1/2 covered in trees.) When I took my old JD tractor mower to try and trade it, the folks at John Deere said "Wow, haven't seen one of those in years", because I'd re-welded and reinforced the deck in several places, changed spindles a time or two, and resharpen my own blades, keeping 2 sets of fresh blades to change out when needed.

The zero-turn gets most of the work, because you can cover the same ground effectively in about 60% of the time it takes with the tractor style mower. In fact, the only reason I don't have 2 zero-turns is because my wife couldn't get the hang of them and wanted another tractor. Now, it mostly just gets used when I'm working on the zero-turn, gives me the time to do what I need without rushing.

So, if what you want is to just be able to get on and mow, get finished quickly, and not spend a lot of time laying on the garage floor busting your knuckles, get a new zero-turn.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

^agree my zero turn was a life changer. Can't believe how many years I spent struggling with the tractor.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opened up our last two covered raised beds. Got a couple of good messes of collards, kale, and cilantro. Our seeds for this spring have been shipped. Looking forward to "green up".

• Options

I'll have to try overwintering cilantro, didn't know it was that hardy.

• Options

Yep cilantro is some tough stuff. We had it survive 20 degrees uncovered.

• Options

Thanks, Rodger, I will try some this coming fall. Did you plant it in late summer or early fall?

• Options

Edward, I planted it every couple of weeks. Just a few seeds randomly in bare spots around other plants. In hot weather it bolts, in cool weather it lasts.

• Options

spotted last evening what is living under the pottery shed, next to the garden and compost heap (not my pic)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure you won’t have a rabbit problem in the garden lol.

• Options
  • Options

what a nice back yard, good work.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

My kind of yard, no grass.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

Direct seeded pink onions, said to be a good keeping variety. Alas, ordered from Gurneys and they arrived later than I expected. At least they arrived, unlike the spinach seeds that were supposed to be in the shipment.