Home Ratings & Reviews

Johnny O thread

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
Given all the attention and hubub around here with Johnny O smokes, I feel John deserves his own thread dedicated to the blends and reviews. I searched for many reviews, and it is pretty tough...so one thread shoudl help some of the guys looking for tasting notes. Out of respect to CCom, I would ask that any inquiries with these be done via PM. This is my first review, and honestly I will not go into crazy detail, jsut what I noticed.

Mag47 "World Famous" Shagfoot 6x47 ***Dark*** wrapper

I'll be honest, the draw was horrid...but it was 2 hours ROTT so I am not surprised. First third I got a hint of pepper, vanilla, cream and musk. Draw was still bad through the first inch, but the flavors stayed consistent in my opinion and piqued my interest. Another inch in, it started to open up a bit and I noticed a dark cherry note, something unlike any other cigar I've had honestly. Third inch, still tight draw and heating up a bit but I powered through and staye the course. The cream was coming back, but citrus complimented the cherry. Halfway through, this thing turned into a smoke bomb and opened up. While it was a bit hot, it never got bitter and i had to smoke it to the nub. Strong cedar and earth arrived, but not overpowering. The citrus hung around to the nub and the cream was still there with a return of musk and pepper.

Honestly...normally I would rate a cigar poorly with draw and related burn issues, but not in this case. I was compelled to smoke it to the end....and it was worth it. I would buy a bundle if i cuold, store them, and wait a year for a mouth ****. This was a complex cigar well above my palate. Highly recommend, and I cannot wait to get to the rest of these. I am not one to take notes, but this is how I remembered it...and it was worth it.

Comments

• OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Keep hearing good things about these.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    OchoZacho:
    Keep hearing good things about these.
    Sometimes I laugh at what I hear some people say they taste via smoke in a cigar. Don't get me wrong, I have had plenty of fantastic ones, these are just another solid smoke too, but rarely have I tasted so many weird things in a cigar and had it run circles around me. I was very impressed, and normally I would not write any type of review other than a few notes, but I think the line justifies it given the recent hype here and the lack of centralized information on blends and reviews.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Yeah it looks like everyone n their grandmother is getting the johnny O's
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review. Now I'm very curious.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Yeah it looks like everyone n their grandmother is getting the johnny O's
    .. well I guess I should call my grandmother to get one from her !
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    In my experience with these cigars, they are all very good. Perfect construction and delicious, beautiful tobaccos.

They are all different, though. It's not one line with several vitolas. Every vitola is a completely seperate blend from one another. So you really just have to try em all to know what you are going to prefer...

That being said, my top 3 so far are the folloing:

#1 Canonazo

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

#2 Torpedo

#3 Genio

None of them are anything less than enjoyable. All of the ones I have smoked have been SUPER fresh. I can't wait to lay them down for a couple years and see what kind of magic happens!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I love John's cigars. They are one of the best values out there. The thing to remember is that given the nature of the "production" on these, the blend not only varies from vitola to vitola, but also from batch to batch. Just like any time you have a famous custom roller rolling at an event, the blend is basically whatever tobacco they have access to at that time. With John's stuff I have had amazing cigars, and I have had a few duds. I definitely agree with the recommendation he always gives, that they smoke wonderfully for a few weeks fresh, then need about a year to balance back out and work through a sick period (and boy do they get sick...). Big fan though. Also, you couldn't deal with a better guy than Johnny himself. Just a class act all around. I remember the first time I bought cigars from him, he shipped before he received payment from me even! As a first time customer, that says a lot about him. Definitely recommended.

Oh, and Catfish, I taste Graham Cracker in a lot of Johnny O! cigars, pretty frequently :P
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Just sent him an email and looking forward to a hopeful purchase when I can afford them.
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    ok thats it some one pm with your pay pal addy so I can buy some (at least 2) been alot of talk now I need to get my hands on some!!!!
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    pbchevo:
    ok thats it some one pm with your pay pal addy so I can buy some (at least 2) been alot of talk now I need to get my hands on some!!!!
    I'll cover you for a couple, brother. Just PM me your correct addy info just in case, and I'll get em out tomorrow.
  • pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    BigT06:
    pbchevo:
    I'll cover you for a couple, brother. Just PM me your correct addy info just in case, and I'll get em out tomorrow.

thank you Todd pm'ed you
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    ive only seen boxes (bundles?) sold, does he sell fivers?
    taythegibs:
    tay...pm bro
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    catfishbluezz:
    taythegibs:
    tay...pm bro
    replied
    Conanzo....solid bittersweet dark chocolate, hay, espresso, and a signature little sweetness that the mag47 had. Very different and consistent cigar and again...I think age will do wonders. Burn was much more consistent and draw was unreal. image
    Honestly...I've paid twice as much for straight dog rockets. So far, both smokes were completely different and excellent in their own right. The Conanzo was more of a consistent flavor profile that never got hot, bitter, and stayed true to the nub. I will be buying all of them...
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    I can't wait to get my hands on some.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    never once have I heard of Johnny O... where can I get more info? I googled it but came up with nothing...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Check out onlinehumidor.com Rob, click on classifieds from the main page and you can access the forum from there. John can be found in the TSBC forum.
  • KimemKimem Posts: 6
    Just went and pm'd to purchase his #1 sampler, 13 corona extras, 6 mag47's and 6 cazadors. Waiting to hear back with my mouth watering.....
    I gotta get off me *** and buy some.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    I gotta pull my *** up outta the ocean currents and buy some.
    fixed it,lol
    Thank ya sir lol
  • oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    OchoZacho:
    Just sent him an email and looking forward to a hopeful purchase when I can afford them.

If you want to split up a sampler or something with me, I'm all in Zach.
  • Anyone live in socal and wanna split a bundle? Interested in maybe caazadores or torps but pretty open.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheehanadam:
    Anyone live in socal and wanna split a bundle? Interested in maybe caazadores or torps but pretty open.
    PM to you sir.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I recently received one from BigT. I can't wait till I feel like smoking it.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    He received my money today and said it ships monday :).
    Dry box these 24 hours guys, they are wet...
  • Reply sent.