Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Johnny O thread

Comments

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    j0z3r:
    Actually Todd, just a minor point, but the Canonazo and Genio aren't factory, hence the distinction I made. Not that it matters, they're just excellent.
    Good point. I forgot there was a distinction between the factory rolled and the farm rolled... though I'm not sure on the details. If you have some inside info, I would love a PM!! After speaking with John about who rolls the "world famous" ones... I really wanna try all of them! Every one I have smoked has been awesome. Some, due to the nature of them being fresh rolled have had a firm draw, but the flavor has been astounding in every case.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I can't wait to try the shorts and corona extra... Those will be my next purchase... And I have no problem being patient until next summer for what I have now
    I really wanna try those 2 as well. The Partagas Short is one of my favorite CC, and because of them I have started trying other "small" cigars. We're gonna have to be quick on the draw to get the corona extras... even with Joe giving me a head's up last time there were some available I was too late. They sold out super fast!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    BigT06:
    j0z3r:
    Actually Todd, just a minor point, but the Canonazo and Genio aren't factory, hence the distinction I made. Not that it matters, they're just excellent.
    Good point. I forgot there was a distinction between the factory rolled and the farm rolled... though I'm not sure on the details. If you have some inside info, I would love a PM!! After speaking with John about who rolls the "world famous" ones... I really wanna try all of them! Every one I have smoked has been awesome. Some, due to the nature of them being fresh rolled have had a firm draw, but the flavor has been astounding in every case.
    It's literally just like it sounds, at least what I gather that John has told me. His cigars that are labeled "factory" come from factory rolling tables, the "farm rolled" are made by rollers who are factory trained but not rolling as part of a production. The "World Famous" cigars are made by a roller named Santos, who is regarded (as I understand it from John) as the #2 roller in the world. The Genio and Canaonazo are made by Nestor, a factory roller, but not in his capacity as a factory roller...I don't think. The details get a little murky trying to piece the whole picture together based on little bits of info here and there.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification. I looked back through the PMs we had going about them, and you basically explained that to me before, but for some reason I just couldn't put the pieces together. lol. I appreciate the info, though, you know how I am about learning cigar stuff... it's an obsession!

Steve (Diamondog) told me pretty much the same thing about Santos... 2nd only to Hamlet in most people's minds. I've yet to fire up any of the Hamlet custom rolls I've got, but based simply on appearence, the Santos look as good, and have a better cap. That has little to do with how they smoke, of course, but just on looks they are as impressive as the Hamlets.

I just wish I knew who's farms the Johnny-O! tobacco comes from... if you ever get that out of him, you better let me know ASAP! lol
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Hayblet:
    Jonny sent me two of those lovely smokes with the carton of Cohiba's I ordered (sorry couldn't resist Cuban Cigarettes) I'm dying to fire one up yet unsure if I should wait or not
    So how are the Cuban cigs?
    pretty damn strong but reminiscent of miniature Siglo 3's
  • Options
    BigT06:
    Thanks for the clarification. I looked back through the PMs we had going about them, and you basically explained that to me before, but for some reason I just couldn't put the pieces together. lol. I appreciate the info, though, you know how I am about learning cigar stuff... it's an obsession!

Steve (Diamondog) told me pretty much the same thing about Santos... 2nd only to Hamlet in most people's minds. I've yet to fire up any of the Hamlet custom rolls I've got, but based simply on appearence, the Santos look as good, and have a better cap. That has little to do with how they smoke, of course, but just on looks they are as impressive as the Hamlets.

I just wish I knew who's farms the Johnny-O! tobacco comes from... if you ever get that out of him, you better let me know ASAP! lol
    I'm sure it comes from many different farms, and I doubt even John knows that much.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I got my sampler last week. I smoked a couple this weekend. Doooods what awesome frigging smokes. The smell off these sticks when you open the package is intoxicating. Had one right out of the package and it rocked, but dryboxing the next one made a world of difference. I'm going to get a ton and half more of these.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I can't wait to try the shorts and corona extra... Those will be my next purchase... And I have no problem being patient until next summer for what I have now
    The CE you say?
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I smell trouble.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all who have been contributing to this thread, the information is fantastic and I've really enjoyed learning so much more about these amazing cigars. Wish I had more right now but only smoked two, one from Todd BandyT, and one from the sampler I ordered. I'm getting low since I keep sending them out but reading everyone's experiences and excitement has made it so worth sharing these and letting other brothers in on this incredible experience!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:

Does Hamlet roll for John, too? How do you know which roller made the sticks you get? I couldn't get squat for info. out of John, man that guy is hush-hush. I just got a Taboada custom roll that had some pretty rave reviews, although it is already in its sick period so I'll have to wait to smoke it.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    bigharpoon:
    BigT06:

Does Hamlet roll for John, too? How do you know which roller made the sticks you get? I couldn't get squat for info. out of John, man that guy is hush-hush. I just got a Taboada custom roll that had some pretty rave reviews, although it is already in its sick period so I'll have to wait to smoke it.
    No, I don't think Hamlet has ever rolled for John. Hamlet is definitely a celebrity in the CC world though. He travels all over the planet doing rolling events. Truly top notch cigars too.
  • Options
    Hopefully i can put another order in the next couple weeks.
  • Options
    SheehanadamSheehanadam Posts: 25
    Can you PM me plz on how I can order some? Maybe split an order with you?
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    If somebody would be so kind as to PM me details on where or how to order some of these, or I would be down for a decent sized split. Just got a big check in the mail for moving to our new house, so I'm itching to spend.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    PM to you, kind sir.
  • Options
    SheehanadamSheehanadam Posts: 25
    Where's the love?
  • Options
    All the info anyone needs to find these is located in this thread. Now that might require reading back through the first few pages, but rest assured it's all here.
  • Options
    A Johnny-O! dedicated humidor:

Johnny-O! Culebras

• Options
    bandyt09:

Johnny-O! Culebras

If I leave work right now, I can easily make it to your place for an afternoon Johnny...
    Seriously, that's a whole lot of goodness you got there Todd.
  • Options
    Toombes:

If I leave work right now, I can easily make it to your place for an afternoon Johnny...
    Dan, you can take your time as all the JO stuff is in the "sick" period. However, give another 2 months and I think a couple of the Culebra are good to go.
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    Toombes:

Dan, you can take your time as all the JO stuff is in the "sick" period. However, give another 2 months and I think a couple of the Culebra are good to go.

Dammit!!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Toombes:

I have to remember that one when friends come over and want to try my "good" cigars.

Oh, you don't want to smoke those, they are in their "sick" period. ROFL!!!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:

Johnny-O! Culebras

Todd, first off thanks for the invite to the barn on Fri. You mentioned to Andre and myself you were going to make another Johnny O order. Id like in on that maybe work out a 10 pk deal or something. Pm me.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    0patience:
    bandyt09:
    Toombes:

I have to remember that one when friends come over and want to try my "good" cigars.

Oh, you don't want to smoke those, they are in their "sick" period. ROFL!!!

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that one. Thanks for the idea, brother!! LOL!!
  • Options
    CmtrashCmtrash Posts: 51
    After so much praise had to order the world famous sampler #1 here. Seems his samplers are constantly changing as the one I picked up is 9xMag47, 10xShort Piramid, and 6xCulebras. Can't wait for them to arrive and will be sure to post my initial thoughts if I catch one of them before the sick period.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    bigharpoon:
    Does Hamlet roll for John, too?
    Hamlet rolls for nobody lol
  • Options
    cmartincmartin Posts: 130
    Hey fellas. I want to pick some of these up. Is there anyone interested in splitting an order or trading for some? I wish I could get an entire order but money is kinda short. Thanks.
  • Options
    cmartin:
    Hey fellas. I want to pick some of these up. Is there anyone interested in splitting an order or trading for some? I wish I could get an entire order but money is kinda short. Thanks.
    Throw me your address again and I'll hook ya up with a sampler
  • Options
    cmartincmartin Posts: 130
    Thanks bro. Pm incoming.