Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Pappy Van Winkle

Yes, it is not cigars... and I know it is a long-shot, but I am interested in one/many bottles of this (preferably the 13 yr. and up) and will trade, pay, or do a combo of the two if anybody is interested. If anybody is down to do some business, or can point me to where I can get some without paying ebay prices, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I have more whiskey than I know what to do with. PM sent.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I think the Pappy only comes in 15, 20, and 23. The Family Reserve is 12, and the Rye is 13. You'll be hard pressed to find them this time of year though. Better chances in the late fall.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my local has 1 bottle of the 23 for 213.00
  • Options
    jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    docbp87:
    I think the Pappy only comes in 15, 20, and 23. The Family Reserve is 12, and the Rye is 13. You'll be hard pressed to find them this time of year though. Better chances in the late fall.
    Right you are. I was lucky enough to come across one bottle of the the 12 yo a couple of weeks ago when I was in Louisville. And I'm sure it will be "easier" to find in the fall, certainly not in VA (unless of course you are already on the supposed three year wait list).
  • Options
    jj20030:
    my local has 1 bottle of the 23 for 213.00
    pm sent
  • Options
    oldsoulrevival:
    I have more whiskey than I know what to do with. PM sent.
    replied
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Wish I could help you but I couldn't find it anywhere near me.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    I live right smack dab in the heart of Kentucky bourbon country, and there isn't any around here to be found...at least I haven't found any, & I even went to the Buffalo Trace distillery where it's made.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    J, my son runs one of the largest liqour stores in Wisconsin, sent him a text to find it! Will let you know!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    jasonusa1:
    docbp87:
    Right you are. I was lucky enough to come across one bottle of the the 12 yo a couple of weeks ago when I was in Louisville. And I'm sure it will be "easier" to find in the fall, certainly not in VA (unless of course you are already on the supposed three year wait list).
    I got a bottle here in VA last winter. Walked into my local store, asked if they could put me on the list for Van Winkle, and the girl pulled a bottle out from under the counter, and sold it to me on the spot. Not sure about any truth to a year wait list...
  • Options
    docbp87:
    jasonusa1:
    docbp87:
    I got a bottle here in VA last winter. Walked into my local store, asked if they could put me on the list for Van Winkle, and the girl pulled a bottle out from under the counter, and sold it to me on the spot. Not sure about any truth to a year wait list...
    Son just called back they get 4 of each in every year, Last shipment came in March gone within a day or two, going to call other store throughout the state and check. Of course i told him to hold if he gets any and will let everyone know!
  • Options
    MVW67:
    docbp87:
    jasonusa1:
    docbp87:
    Son just called back they get 4 of each in every year, Last shipment came in March gone within a day or two, going to call other store throughout the state and check. Of course i told him to hold if he gets any and will let everyone know!
    Thanks Mike!
  • Options
    docbp87:
    jasonusa1:
    docbp87:
    Well then I'd have to say you're definitely the exception to the norm around here. I'm going to assume that they sold you a bottle that was not claimed because each ABC store in Virginia only gets in what is special ordered by a customer - that is of course if the allotment received will cover it. Just the information that I've been told. Repeatedly.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    jasonusa1:
    docbp87:
    jasonusa1:
    docbp87:
    Well then I'd have to say you're definitely the exception to the norm around here. I'm going to assume that they sold you a bottle that was not claimed because each ABC store in Virginia only gets in what is special ordered by a customer - that is of course if the allotment received will cover it. Just the information that I've been told. Repeatedly.
    If the girl just pulled it out (.....) and sold it, it means that someone on the list decided they didn't want it. I put my name in a few places and I got my bottle, and when the other ones called me about it, i just said "no thank you"... they then pass that to the next person on the list, and if there are not enough people, then they have to sell it .
  • Options
    With all the new(er) guys around now I figured I would give this a bump.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'll probably get reamed for this but Pappy just isn't worth the money or the hype. I picked up a bottle of the 23 for $200 while I was in NY and that is actually a great price on that bottle these days. Just to be able to find a bottle is near impossible. I'm glad I tried it but I'm almost wishing I sold it on ebay as I could have made a couple bucks on my investment.

After talking to my local liquor store manager, it's not what it used to be. Pappy 23 used to be cheaper and worth the money...before people would club their own mother to get a bottle. It also used to be actual Pappy. Old Rip Van Winkle (the company that "produces" Pappy, also part of Buffalo Trace) doesn't operate a distillery but sources their barrels from other distilleries. With demand being as high as it is and the conglomerate companies doing as well as they are, they're basically slapping Pappy 23 labels on any older whiskey and passing it off as the same product. Bottom line: the QC has gone down.

In short, if you have had older versions of Pappy, you may find you don't quite recognize them as the same and not share the same love for them that you did in the past. If you're new to Pappy, you may fall into the hype or you may try it for yourself and see it's just not worth the money these days.

I'm fairly new to Bourbon but I've tried my share and have my resources. I know more than the average Bourbon drinker about how it's made and a lot of the common misconceptions about it. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so whats a good one in your opinion thats worth the money ( not really talking about high price, just great whisky ) of the newer types out nowadays , my local guy has some differnt brands in stock , had the pappy 23 i coulda bought but passed it up, i think it was 223.00
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, what's your opinion of W.L. Weller's 2005 release? I hear it's supposed to be pretty darned good stuff.....
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I'll probably get reamed for this but Pappy just isn't worth the money or the hype. I picked up a bottle of the 23 for $200 while I was in NY and that is actually a great price on that bottle these days. Just to be able to find a bottle is near impossible. I'm glad I tried it but I'm almost wishing I sold it on ebay as I could have made a couple bucks on my investment.

After talking to my local liquor store manager, it's not what it used to be. Pappy 23 used to be cheaper and worth the money...before people would club their own mother to get a bottle. It also used to be actual Pappy. Old Rip Van Winkle (the company that "produces" Pappy, also part of Buffalo Trace) doesn't operate a distillery but sources their barrels from other distilleries. With demand being as high as it is and the conglomerate companies doing as well as they are, they're basically slapping Pappy 23 labels on any older whiskey and passing it off as the same product. Bottom line: the QC has gone down.

In short, if you have had older versions of Pappy, you may find you don't quite recognize them as the same and not share the same love for them that you did in the past. If you're new to Pappy, you may fall into the hype or you may try it for yourself and see it's just not worth the money these days.

I'm fairly new to Bourbon but I've tried my share and have my resources. I know more than the average Bourbon drinker about how it's made and a lot of the common misconceptions about it. Just my 2 cents.
    Technically, as long as you don't get it in the after-market it is still rather cheap with all considerations. 15ytr for $50, 20yr for $100 and 23yr at approx $200. As well, although 15yr is no longer sw bourbon, the 20 and 23yr should be for another couple of years.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently was gifted with a small bottle of Buffalo Trace myself and was amazed at just how well it paired with a cigar.... I've really been wanting to get into some great whiskey and start a "Cigar and Whiskey Pairing" thread when I eventually get the chance. Booker's is really high up on my list and I can find it for a little over $60 but I won't be able to pick it up for a few more months. What others would y'all suggest that is under $100?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jasonusa1:
    Technically, as long as you don't get it in the after-market it is still rather cheap with all considerations. 15ytr for $50, 20yr for $100 and 23yr at approx $200. As well, although 15yr is no longer sw bourbon, the 20 and 23yr should be for another couple of years.

A question, please, what is sw bourbon? I'm not familiar with the term. And where might I find some 15yr for $50? Thanks....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    jasonusa1:

A question, please, what is sw bourbon? I'm not familiar with the term. And where might I find some 15yr for $50? Thanks....
    SW is for Stitzel-Weller (sp?) which was the original distillery before being move to the Buffalo Trace Distillery. As far as finding it for $50-$100, I guess anywhere that doesn't jack up the price.
  • Options
    jasonusa1:
    jlmarta:
    jasonusa1:

SW is for Stitzel-Weller (sp?) which was the original distillery before being move to the Buffalo Trace Distillery. As far as finding it for $50-$100, I guess anywhere that doesn't jack up the price.

Okay, thanks Bro.....
  • Options
    @JJ: For the money, I really like Willett. Gorgeous bottle, reasonably priced, and good stuff inside. It's soft, slightly floral for a bourbon but it's very drinkable. We recently tried Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill and liked both for the money. The same company (kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com) also makes a 17 year old Vintage Bourbon that's amazingly full and complex for a bit more money (but still under $100). Parker's also makes a fantastic product.

@Marty: I haven't had the Weller's. I'll have to ask around on that one.

@Jason: I got mine at a liquor store and paid $200 for the 23. I just felt it would have been a great bottle for $100, good for $150 but just not worth the full $200. Now that I've had it, I wouldn't go out and hunt down another or pay $300+ on ebay.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    @JJ: For the money, I really like Willett. Gorgeous bottle, reasonably priced, and good stuff inside. It's soft, slightly floral for a bourbon but it's very drinkable. We recently tried Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill and liked both for the money. The same company (kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com) also makes a 17 year old Vintage Bourbon that's amazingly full and complex for a bit more money (but still under $100). Parker's also makes a fantastic product.

@Marty: I haven't had the Weller's. I'll have to ask around on that one.

@Jason: I got mine at a liquor store and paid $200 for the 23. I just felt it would have been a great bottle for $100, good for $150 but just not worth the full $200. Now that I've had it, I wouldn't go out and hunt down another or pay $300+ on ebay.

Rob, I was going to buy a bottle of the 17 year Vintage Bourbon and had located a bottle for $62. But the shipping charge of $18 put it out of my budget range. I'd really have loved to try it, too, because it's a 5-star bourbon. Oh, well, I guess I can't have everything I want.....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Rob, I was going to buy a bottle of the 17 year Vintage Bourbon and had located a bottle for $62. But the shipping charge of $18 put it out of my budget range. I'd really have loved to try it, too, because it's a 5-star bourbon. Oh, well, I guess I can't have everything I want.....

That sucks, Marty. It's a great bottle for $62 but that shipping kills it. Do they combine shipping for multiple items? If so, it might be worth it to save up and grab a few different bottles.
  • Options
    Need help botl, Sazerac antique collection any info?:-)
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I am getting a Pappy 15 this year but can only get one.
  • Options
    Marker:
    I am getting a Pappy 15 this year but can only get one.
    Very nice, you lucky....heard that Sazerac was seconded to Pappy trying to find out?
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    bumpitty. This dude is looking for a 15 yr bottle. Closest retailer is 45 mins away but I think I missed the release for this year. Info?