Options

Pappy Van Winkle

124»

Comments

• Options
    curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Let me clarify a few things.

It is extremely unlikely you paid $198 a bottle for PVW 12. Not even online gougers (like yourself) would buy it for that just to help a brother out. How do I know you are doing this for profit? The PVW23 you tried to sell for $1,000.00. There is not a chance in all the heavens you paid 1/3 of that. So you are not helping any brother out by selling it for $1,000.00. You are trying to flip it for cash. Why sell the 12 year to help people out but try to more than triple your money on the 23? Things don't match up. You first tried to sell the 12 year for $250 but no one bought it. $225 you had to settle for.

If you wanted to help people out why not come here first? Since, well, this is where people seem to have helped you out before. Instead you run to OLH. If you wanted to help a brother out, why not send one of your 12 year back to Mike, who was the most gracious person to send you one FREE last year. Instead of doing that first you ran to OLH. Priorities don't match up.

You only came here after this thread was bumped and somehow your conscience led you to post. Which I will give you a lot of credit for. So after you send a bottle to Mike we can bury this thread.

I have no problem WHATSOEVER if you buy something yourself and want to sell it to someone else for whatever they want to pay for it. That is a free market and good on you. The only part I had issue with was flipping something that someone here sent you for free. I know you said you drank that bottle of 12. Good for you. After you acquired 4 more one of them could have got back to Mike as a thank you for a free $225 bottle of liquor. Or send it to someone else on here free. Pay it forward kind of deal. Mike would love that more than getting it himself. That is how cool Mike is.

Curtpick I admire your sense of gallantry but when you say people should keep their mouths shut when they don't have the whole story, you should follow that if you are going to say it. You didn't know the circumstances either.
    bro I really have no idea how you think you can say you have the facts straight. All I can go by is what is being said by the the man. I have no reason to doubt him as I am not him and dont know his motives. My point. He has every right to do what he wishes with it. Its his right . How do I know if he got it from mike, or anyone here. Ethical....hell no ! But its his. Mike said it best. Lifes to damned short. Gallantry . *** that and thank you. That damned bottle is only worth what one pays for it. Plain and simple. Merry christmas to you and yours and a joyous new year !
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Marker:
    Let me clarify a few things.

It is extremely unlikely you paid $198 a bottle for PVW 12. Not even online gougers (like yourself) would buy it for that just to help a brother out. How do I know you are doing this for profit? The PVW23 you tried to sell for $1,000.00. There is not a chance in all the heavens you paid 1/3 of that. So you are not helping any brother out by selling it for $1,000.00. You are trying to flip it for cash. Why sell the 12 year to help people out but try to more than triple your money on the 23? Things don't match up. You first tried to sell the 12 year for $250 but no one bought it. $225 you had to settle for.

If you wanted to help people out why not come here first? Since, well, this is where people seem to have helped you out before. Instead you run to OLH. If you wanted to help a brother out, why not send one of your 12 year back to Mike, who was the most gracious person to send you one FREE last year. Instead of doing that first you ran to OLH. Priorities don't match up.

You only came here after this thread was bumped and somehow your conscience led you to post. Which I will give you a lot of credit for. So after you send a bottle to Mike we can bury this thread.

I have no problem WHATSOEVER if you buy something yourself and want to sell it to someone else for whatever they want to pay for it. That is a free market and good on you. The only part I had issue with was flipping something that someone here sent you for free. I know you said you drank that bottle of 12. Good for you. After you acquired 4 more one of them could have got back to Mike as a thank you for a free $225 bottle of liquor. Or send it to someone else on here free. Pay it forward kind of deal. Mike would love that more than getting it himself. That is how cool Mike is.

Curtpick I admire your sense of gallantry but when you say people should keep their mouths shut when they don't have the whole story, you should follow that if you are going to say it. You didn't know the circumstances either.
    bro I really have no idea how you think you can say you have the facts straight. All I can go by is what is being said by the the man. I have no reason to doubt him as I am not him and dont know his motives. My point. He has every right to do what he wishes with it. Its his right . How do I know if he got it from mike, or anyone here. Ethical....hell no ! But its his. Mike said it best. Lifes to damned short. Gallantry . *** that and thank you. That damned bottle is only worth what one pays for it. Plain and simple. Merry christmas to you and yours and a joyous new year !

I wouldnt even put it in the Ethical catagory. If it is what he says it is, Then its his right to do what ever he wants with it. I think it really comes down to "brotherhood" and what it means to each one of us. To me, in the realm of brotherhood, its wrong. I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I will gladly pay 1k for your finest plate of nachos
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I got nachos
    Yes I do
    I got nachos
    How bout you?
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent over 1k just on shipping to my friends in 2013 And they were worth it....
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    I spent over 1k just on shipping to my friends in 2013 And they were worth it....
    I have no doubt about this. Everybody bomb this guy!
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    I got nachos
    Yes I do
    I got nachos
    How bout you?
    I had quesadillas, taquitos, and fried burritos at the shop today with cognac and mimosas woohoo!
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    I don't want to ever look at what I've spent at the PO lol
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    I got nachos
    Yes I do
    I got nachos
    How bout you?
    I had quesadillas, taquitos, and fried burritos at the shop today with cognac and mimosas woohoo!
    Are you posting from the toilet?
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bottle of Boon's Farm aged 12 years for sale for a 1,000 if any none is interested :) Anyways lets all have a Merry Christmas and hold of on the war until after the holidays.
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    I have a bottle of Boon's Farm aged 12 years for sale for a 1,000 if any none is interested :) Anyways lets all have a Merry Christmas and hold of on the war until after the holidays.
    Strawberry Hill forever
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    jasonusa1:
    Once I get the bottle in the mail I will forward Mike the tracking. Upon which, I will promptly delete my account here and that will be that.

Mike doesn't care about the refund. Sadly, your account is still active...
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    allsmokedup:
    jasonusa1:
    Once I get the bottle in the mail I will forward Mike the tracking. Upon which, I will promptly delete my account here and that will be that.

Mike doesn't care about the refund.
    My Christmas wish, let's let it go. I don't want anything sent back, if it is I'll send it off to some other botl/sotl. Really it's was a gift, no skin off me. Thanks Mike:-) :-) :-)
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    MVW67:
    allsmokedup:
    jasonusa1:

My Christmas wish, let's let it go. I don't want anything sent back, if it is I'll send it off to some other botl/sotl. Really it's was a gift, no skin off me. Thanks Mike:-) :-) :-)
    once Jiunn moves out can I be your roomie too?
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    We know you're broke.You do have cigars, though...
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Guess who got a bottle of pappy (for Christmas) and has two thumbs?

THIS GUY!

The pretty lady did me fine this year! Total take was 2 bottles of Blanton's, Four Roses, Jack Single Barrel, and some Pappy. I'm stunned. Along with Knob Creek Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, and a small Blanton's form my Secret Santa here... hoo-boy! Best Ever!
  • Options
    greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    allsmokedup:
    jasonusa1:

I dont have a dog in this fight, but I agree with Mikey, Please, let it go and have a Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
    greg2648:
    MVW67:
    allsmokedup:
    jasonusa1:

I dont have a dog in this fight, but I agree with Mikey, Please leat it go and have a Merry Christmas.
    Agreed! It takes a bigger man to just walk away sometimes. You can only control your own behaviour, not anyones elses. Perhaps it seems 'easy' to judge others motivations, but that does not lead to solid conclusions. It is a very hard thing to do, to show mercy in the face of anger and when all indicators point to the other as the guilty party.
    Benevolence, mercy, and forgiveness are very hard to do - look at all the relationships being destroyed as I type this because one person can not and can never forgive another. Forgiveness for some people is totally impossible - so for one man to show benevolence and mercy to another rather than pound the other's face in the pavement is a sign of a man whose heart is truly bigger than his ego. True power is in the ability to give life to another when one has the capability to destroy such life.
    The sad irony of all this is the timing of it all. Merry Christmas to all of you. Hope you can enjoy the spirit of the day, whether you are religious or not.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    MVW67:
    allsmokedup:
    jasonusa1:

once Jiunn moves out can I be your roomie too?
    hey you little *** head! how dare you!
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jasonusa1:
    Well.. It's good to see that everybody here has been doing so well. The one thing that I have always loved about forums like this was the brotherhood and the comardarie amongst one another. Indeed, much can be slept under the rug through a pm, but why even think of allowing that when you can publicly crucify somebody instead. It's even more fun when you honestly don't know a) the circumstances involved; or, b) the person involved.

The only direct comment that I will make to anybody other than Mike will be to Ken Light. I really am glad that you now know what I am really all about. We've never once spoken before, personally or electronically, so how could you have even known the first thing about me. You've commented more than most here though this chain. Big guy.

Now, i do not believe that I owe anybody an explanation here (other than Mike), but apparently many of you feel entitled to such, so here it is...

Regarding the bottles. I drank every last sip of that bottle that Mike gifted me last year. It was an incredibly kind gesture that I am fairly confident that I expressed my gratitude for and offered to reimburse him or it. He declined, I thanked him again. Now for the bottles I have posted to sell elsewhere: I purchased four bottles of the VW 12yr in DC for $179 + tax for a total if $198 incl tax - each. I knew that it was a lot to pay in the first place, but felt that somebody else out there without access that would appreciate it would like to have it nonetheless - I wasn't in it for the money - believe it or not. Having sold three at $225 I have netted a grand total of $51 profit on the three bottles after shipping (not even taking into account supplies etc). Making money here hand over fist. I'm not even going to say what I paid for the PVW 23, except for that it was way too much.

Now Mike, I am truly sorry if I have given you the wrong impression, offended you in any way, and/or made it so that you felt taken advantage of. If you would, please pm me your address and I will send you the remaining VW 12 I have. Again, thank you, and sorry.

Glad to hear you didn't sell the bottle from Mike, that raises you from absolute scum to common scum with all the rest of the gougers and scalpers. Way to pay it forward. I see no difference in making $51 vs. making $510, the spirit is the same, and the spirit isn't that of a BOTL. So see yourself out, BOTLS only. I hope those brothers you've profited from have provided you with a wonderful holiday.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    allsmokedup:
    jasonusa1:

Mike this is why you are a true class act!! I think this is something we could all learn from. Nothing but respect and good wishes for you and yours mike!!
    no matter where you go, there you are.