Home General Discussion
Options

Biggest Disappointment?

PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
Has there ever been a cigar that you were REALLY looking forward to trying, then once you did it was a total let down? I'm sure we all have, but what was your most disappointing cigar you ever had?

I guess my biggest was the Cusano Corojo 1997. I was still fairly new to cigars and I was really looking forward to giving this one a shot because I had read some reviews and heard good things but I was just very unimpressed. It didn't have much flavor at all and was a bit harsh. I could have just gotten a bad stick, but it still was a big turn off because I was pretty excited about trying it.

Comments

• Options
    3 Stripes3 Stripes Posts: 25
    My biggest was a RP Decade, I couldn't get any flavor our of it. The burn and smoke was perfect but was bland. I do have another sitting in my humidor I'll let sit and give it another try. It was the first RP that I have tried that I haven't liked.
  • Options
    Yea I'd give that one another chance because I've had several Decades and I think they are a great smoke and I've never had a bland one. I hate to hear that one was such a let down.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Honestly(probably going to get flame sprayd for this one) God Of Fire Carlito. I thought it was pretty flat. Not complex and overall...mediocre. Sucks i paid as much for it as i did.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    So far, mine has been the Danli Reserve Sun Grown. The write up was great. The stick looked gorgeous with a classy band, but the flavor was gawd awful.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    A Ramone Allones that I read a great review about ...bought two and it tasted like a damn ****....the worst tasting cigar I EVER had though was that Helix Cafe thingy that tasted like a goats a$$ on fire
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I guess the one that really disappointed me was a Macanudo Maduro... I know i probably shouldn't have expected too much from it in the first place, but it was terrible. bland, hard draw and burn problems, wimpy smoke, and almost harsh. I figured it'd be way better than it was, especially since i'd had the robust and liked it a lot.

i'm pretty sure i even posted in the ratings and reviews section about it a while back.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    A Ramone Allones that I read a great review about ...bought two and it tasted like a damn ****....the worst tasting cigar I EVER had though was that Helix Cafe thingy that tasted like a goats a$$ on fire

LMAO! how do you know what burnt goat buttock tastes like?
  • Options
    niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    I'm pretty new at smoking cigars I have only been doing it a little over 2 years, so I'm still in the mild category. So I was looking forward to trying the 5 Vegas Gold, and man was it a big let down. I almost did not want to finish it. I have a couple more so I figure I let them season in my humidor for a while until I give them another try.
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54
    3 Stripes:
    My biggest was a RP Decade, I couldn't get any flavor our of it. The burn and smoke was perfect but was bland. I do have another sitting in my humidor I'll let sit and give it another try. It was the first RP that I have tried that I haven't liked.

I had exactly this with the the Rocky Patel Olde World Corojo - either I get all of Rocky's bad sticks, or everyone else is tasting something I'm not.....seriously, the only good ones I've had were the Sun Grown and the Connecticut.
  • Options
    JF:
    3 Stripes:

I had exactly this with the the Rocky Patel Olde World Corojo - either I get all of Rocky's bad sticks, or everyone else is tasting something I'm not.....seriously, the only good ones I've had were the Sun Grown and the Connecticut.
    I've never had the Olde Worlf Corojo but I really like the Olde World Maduro. The RP Connecticut wasn't that great but I do like the Vintage 99 and the Sungrown was also a great smoke. The 92 is probably my favorite RP smoke, either that or the Decade.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    My biggest let down was probably the Cusano Xclusivo. I've only had one but I hated it. I think the biggest let down of a cigar I really wanted to try was the Between the Lines.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    geeez.... not that its a bad cigar, but...
    the Arturo Fuente Hemingway. like i said, it wasnt bad.

but the hype it got was crazy. it seemed like every one i knew was going on and on and on about how AMAZING it was. best Fuente ever...

its good.
    ...but its not THAT good.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bacon.jay:
    gmill880:

Imagination my friend
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    For me, it was the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, had draw issues, burn issues and it was a bit on the bland side, probably should give it another chance soon.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    gmill880:

I don't know him and jetty talk a lot about burros......
  • Options
    dan7876dan7876 Posts: 47
    Fuente Curly Head...might as well have been a Swisher.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    For me it would have to be the Drew Estate Java...waited along time to smoke it and when I did, I could barely get a draw off of it. I was terribly disappointed, actually had to put it down and light up my RP Ren.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    dan7876:
    Fuente Curly Head...might as well have been a Swisher.
    Really? I thought this cigar was great considering what it is. It's no 8-5-8 or Don Carlos but for the price I thought it was really good.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I was also very happy with the Curly Head, for a $2 cigar I thought it was pretty nice.

My biggest let down was probably the La Aurora 1495. I bought a five pack of them and smoke three. I kept expecting the next one to be better. They weren't bad really, just kind of plain and nowhere near as good as I was hoping.
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    CAO America - I was very excited to try this cigar. The first one I got was so tight that after struggling with it for a third of it's length I tossed it. Nothing I did would make it draw. The second one I tried drew okay but I found the taste to be completely unspectacular. The cigar began to unravel half way through even though I was careful to handle it gently ( I know that unravelling is common with "barber pole wrappers).................... Macanudo - I have smoked a dozen different Macs and have detested every one of them. I can say the same thing about Cusano.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SmokeRing:
    Macanudo - I have smoked a dozen different Macs and have detested every one of them. I can say the same thing about Cusano.
    if you havent smoked the cusano P1, do so.
    its got a different taste than the others.

• Options
    For me it was the Gurkha regent. I'd smoked the Titan and really liked it. I tried the regent and it tasted like dirt and wood. Harsh and bitter. I just couldn't get into it. Just got the ccom Cuban labels and am tasting a lot of the same flavors just much more subtle. I was really hoping this would keep me out of my good cigar humi, but it's pushing me towards it more and more. Disappointing.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    My biggest disappointment is the new La Cuna 1720s I just ordered. Everyone seems to rave about the 85's so I got some 1720's on sale to try the brand and, in a word, BORRRRRRRING!!! The first inch and a half are nice and get me psyched for a good ride, but then it turns the corner into Blandville and never comes back. At least now I have something to give my drunk friends.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I still do mostly mild and medium strength cigars, but I'd have to say the Cusano 18 Double Connecticut. It has high ratings and good reviews, but it had no flavor and such a light aroma. I was expecting so much more. It could just be that my tastes are changing though.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I think my biggest was probably the Man'o'war... It's not a bad cigar, don't get me wrong... But I had heard SO much hype about it I guess my expectations were WAY higher than they should have been... When I actually got around to trying one it was a huge let down...
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I was going to say Man o War...I swear. So maybe I'd say 5 Vegas Miami. I've only had one, but it was bad. Maybe I'll try another one sometime.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    I think my biggest was probably the Man'o'war... It's not a bad cigar, don't get me wrong... But I had heard SO much hype about it I guess my expectations were WAY higher than they should have been... When I actually got around to trying one it was a huge let down...
    I am with you on this one.. Sorry to all the fans of this cigar, but it does not win me over. The first one I had I hated, next was better but to me, there are too many others I enjoy, and MOW is not one of them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Different smokes for different folks indeed. I really liked the MOW. I had heard that rest did them well, so I let mine sit for several months, and when I got around to trying one it was pretty dang good. Not the best cigar I've had, but definitely one I would have again.

My biggest disappointment was the Diamond Crown Maximus. I've only ever heard good things about this cigar, how it is really flavorful, potent and just a damn good cigar. Well when I smoked one, I found it to be somewhat bland and nothing more than med-full...not that strength is the big determining factor for me, as it is certainly not, but this cigar just left me with the thought of " is this it?". So, yeah, there's my big disappointment.
  • Options
    iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    Definatley the Gurkha Titan.... I'll tell you what, that cigar really did nothing for me and it just seemed like a chore to smoke it. I think i'll have to get one and age it for 6 months or a year and try it out
  • Options
    iwsmith2:
    Definatley the Gurkha Titan.... I'll tell you what, that cigar really did nothing for me and it just seemed like a chore to smoke it. I think i'll have to get one and age it for 6 months or a year and try it out
    I would say the first month COTM package dont know if there all the same but mine was the Titan Beast two legend and a centaurion, I was so excited to see them arrive, super stoked felt like i won the lottery, each had terrible burn and draw issues, almost impossible to smoke, one of the perfecto came apart, it has really turned my away from wanting any more gurkhas.
    also the Java was not for me.. only ciigar ive put down after only the first half inch.