Home General Discussion
Options

Biggest Disappointment?

Comments

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    rusirius:
    I think my biggest was probably the Man'o'war... It's not a bad cigar, don't get me wrong... But I had heard SO much hype about it I guess my expectations were WAY higher than they should have been... When I actually got around to trying one it was a huge let down...
    I'm with you on this one too, it wasn't bad at all, just didn't have enough flavor. It was full bodied but not full flavored at all. I had about 3 months of age on it but it just wasn't that spectacular. I have another resting still and if it isn't a LOT better then I won't be getting any of these to replace the ones I had.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Marshallrocks80:
    For me it was the Gurkha regent. I'd smoked the Titan and really liked it. I tried the regent and it tasted like dirt and wood. Harsh and bitter. I just couldn't get into it. Just got the ccom Cuban labels and am tasting a lot of the same flavors just much more subtle. I was really hoping this would keep me out of my good cigar humi, but it's pushing me towards it more and more. Disappointing.
    there mush have been something wrong with that regent. I have never got a bit of harsh out of one.... however i have had a bad draw.
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    kuzi16:
    SmokeRing:
    Macanudo - I have smoked a dozen different Macs and have detested every one of them. I can say the same thing about Cusano.
    if you havent smoked the cusano P1, do so.
    its got a different taste than the others.

Yep had one, didn't like it.
  • Options
    burchamsburchams Posts: 31
    I liked the Cusano Corojo but was disappointed with the RP90. I think I was expecting way too much. So I guess the newbie moral to the story is don't listen to the hype and expect every cigar you try to suck!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    burchams:
    I liked the Cusano Corojo but was disappointed with the RP90. I think I was expecting way too much. So I guess the newbie moral to the story is don't listen to the hype and expect every cigar you try to suck!
    No.. NO.. NO... Listen to the hype, and try each new cigar with an open mind.. Most premium cigars available now, are almost forced to be very good, bad word travels faster then good words, if the word gets out they are inferior, they won't be around very long. And, don't expect every new cigar to be heaven in your hands.. Many cigars people praise I think.. are just okay. while others I love, people are unmoved by. Personal taste.. keep trying new stuff, you will find some gems.. example... I don't care for the Cusano corojo, but the Rocky Patel vintage cigars, 1990 and 1992.. Are among my favorites..
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    burchams:
    No.. NO.. NO... Listen to the hype, and try each new cigar with an open mind.. Most premium cigars available now, are almost forced to be very good, bad word travels faster then good words, if the word gets out they are inferior, they won't be around very long. And, don't expect every new cigar to be heaven in your hands.. Many cigars people praise I think.. are just okay. while others I love, people are unmoved by. Personal taste.. keep trying new stuff, you will find some gems.. example... I don't care for the Cusano corojo, but the Rocky Patel vintage cigars, 1990 and 1992.. Are among my favorites..
    I'm in the same boat as you, I though the Corojo was a bad smoke. It had no flavor at all and was a huge let down. I do love the RP Vintages as well. The 92 being my favorite (EcSu Wrapper!!! Mmmmm...) but the 90 is almost just as good. It all comes down to personal preferences. Thats the reason they have sooo many different cigars out there. What kinda world would it be if there weren't so many great cigar choices.
  • Options
    SmokeRing:
    kuzi16:
    SmokeRing:
    Macanudo - I have smoked a dozen different Macs and have detested every one of them. I can say the same thing about Cusano.
    if you havent smoked the cusano P1, do so.
    its got a different taste than the others.

Yep had one, didn't like it.
    wow

congrats. you are the first.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Luko:
    I was going to say Man o War...I swear. So maybe I'd say 5 Vegas Miami. I've only had one, but it was bad. Maybe I'll try another one sometime.
    Really? Wow, I love the 5 Vegas Miami... One of my all time favorite smokes... ;)
  • Options
    benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    I think we need to make careful distinction between cigars that we *thought* were going to be good and ones that were just plain bad.

I have to say that, regretfully my first experience with Rocky Patel was a 1992 Robusto, and it was, frankly gruesome; however on reflection it just must have been a bad stick; it did stain my thinking around Rocky Patel for a while, I have to say.

Worst cigar I have ever smoked by a significant margin was a Helix Connecticut (robusto? toro) in an alum tube in early 2007. It was emphatically disgusting. The smoking equivalent of giving Rush Limbaugh a rim-job after a Vindaloo.
  • Options
    JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    I"d have to say it was a RP Vintage 1999 (Connecticut).  I really had high hopes though.  The Edge Light filled most of the hopes I had for the 1999 though.  Neither beat a NUB Connecticut though.

2nd would have to be RP 1990 Segundo's.  I love the 1990 and just got a box in the humi, but the Segundo's have been disappointing.  Maybe 2 sticks so far have been "OK", but every time I'd pick up a full blown grown up 1990 it was so great it unleashed my disappointment for the Segundo again.  It's either flavor or more so, burn, draw and even the good ones have little smoke.

Oh well, I have 1 humi full of NUB's and another big one now full primarily with various RP's including a new box of 1990's and even a box of Java's.  The Java has it's place every now and then.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Probably the JAVA. I'd read nothing but good about this cigar, but I was majorly underwhelmed when I finally got to smoke one. In fairness, it was purchased from a regular smoke shop and not a dedicated B&M. I plan on ordering a few more and storing them at the correct settings before I write 'em off.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    JKTex:
    I"d have to say it was a RP Vintage 1999 (Connecticut).  I really had high hopes though.  The Edge Light filled most of the hopes I had for the 1999 though.  Neither beat a NUB Connecticut though.

2nd would have to be RP 1990 Segundo's.  I love the 1990 and just got a box in the humi, but the Segundo's have been disappointing.  Maybe 2 sticks so far have been "OK", but every time I'd pick up a full blown grown up 1990 it was so great it unleashed my disappointment for the Segundo again.  It's either flavor or more so, burn, draw and even the good ones have little smoke.

Oh well, I have 1 humi full of NUB's and another big one now full primarily with various RP's including a new box of 1990's and even a box of Java's.  The Java has it's place every now and then.

I'm assuming you do have the Java infused cigars seperate from your non-infused smokes?
  • Options
    FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

I bought the Drew Estate Sampler, to say I was a bit disappointed would be an understatement. It's been months and I still have 10 unsmoked cigars. I would have been better off buying the Blue lable bundle. I really don't know how DS stays in business.

Dan

• Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    My biggest disappointment was the La Aroma de Cuba. I ordered two on my first ccom order in Feb. I smoked the first one pretty quick and thought it was just bad. Draw problems, burn issues and a horrible flavor. Figured it must need some rest. Waited 3 months and smoked the second. Same thing!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The regular La Aroma de Cuba is a dissappointment IMO, HOWEVER, the special edition(or whatever the f*ck they call it) made by DPG. Yummy.
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Graycliff 1666. I don't remember what specific type it was, but it was in a grab-bag I bought with my humidor and first batch of cigars ever. I remember thinking "Oh, Bahamas. I'll smoke this first since it's obviously a "value" cigar..." It was too strong -- eventually I puked. Now my biggest dissapointment is that I smoked such a good cigar without being ready and/or knowing what I was doing! FAIL
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    The regular La Aroma de Cuba is a dissappointment IMO, HOWEVER, the special edition(or whatever the f*ck they call it) made by DPG. Yummy.
    The truth is spoken here.. Maddy sent me a La Aroma de Special Edition ( in english) and it was great.. I was looking for more right after I smoked it.. Thanks again Maddy.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    I don't think the original is a disappointment at all, I rather like it. Haven't had the Special Edition yet...one of these days. Of course, tastes are like ****, we've all got 'em and most of 'em stink....That just doesn't translate well to cigars...to bad, I'm leaving it.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    madurofan:
    The truth is spoken here.. Maddy sent me a La Aroma de Special Edition ( in english) and it was great.. I was looking for more right after I smoked it.. Thanks again Maddy.
    No Problem! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. You guys have introduced me to so many great cigars glad i could return the favor.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    My biggest disappointment was a Stradivarius. It was really flat and nowhere near what I expected from a cigar that price.
  • Options
    Goldy:
    My biggest disappointment was a Stradivarius. It was really flat and nowhere near what I expected from a cigar that price.
    It is a Macanudo product. I wouldn't pay $10 for a Mac much less $30.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    madurofan???? are you talking about this aroma de cuba? http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=279 thats my favorite standby cigar, widely available, never a dissapointment.
  • Options
    jihiggs:
    madurofan???? are you talking about this aroma de cuba? http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=279 thats my favorite standby cigar, widely available, never a dissapointment.
    ive always been good with LAdC
  • Options
    Thats the one higgs. Thts why they make a million different cigars, everyone has their own taste. I didn't say it was crap, it just was a dissappointment to me.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    jihiggs:
    ive always been good with LAdC
    I think it may have something to do with the Hondoran components in that cigar. It isn't a favorite of mine, but not bad. I was somewhat disappointed...until I had the edicion especial
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Thats the one higgs. Thts why they make a million different cigars, everyone has their own taste. I didn't say it was crap, it just was a dissappointment to me.
    no, you hate that cigar, and as an extension of that you must hate me, personally.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    I think it may have something to do with the Hondoran components in that cigar.
    This is possibly true.
    kuzi16:
    no, you hate that cigar, and as an extension of that you must hate me, personally.
    And I think you have this in reverse. LOL
  • Options
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    This is possibly true.
    kuzi16:
    way to edit that quickly.

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I had my first, double robusto, la aroma de cuba after hearing about this, and it was a fantastic cigar. I really enjoyed it driving up to Boston.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    bbc020:
    This is possibly true.
    kuzi16:
    way to edit that quickly.

LMAO I do that a lot, did I screw up your witty comeback?