Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    OK, I've smoked my mystery sticks and have my guesses.

Cigar A: Torpedo. Wrapper is milk chocolate with moderate veining and tooth. Smooth even construction with no soft spots. Pre-light draw is easy and tastes of pepper. Wrapper is probably corojo. Initial light tastes of pepper, nuts and sweet cedar, tastes very much like a corojo wrapped cigar. Nuttiness fades into the second third and the pepper picks up some, overall the complexity and amount of flavor has dropped. Cigar continues in same fashion. My guess for Cigar A: 5 Vegas Limitada 2009.

Cigar B: Toro. Maduro. No review. Guess Cigar B: CAO MX2

Cigar C: Torpedo. Wrapper is a dark brown, almost maduro shade, looks and tastes like habano. Draw is easy with solid construction, no soft spots. Initial tastes are pepper and wood with a ligero twang on the exhale. Not much deviation from that profile. Guess Cigar C: Cu-Avana Intenso.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Interesting guesses. :)

Cigar A was one I haven't had in a few years and happened to find a few locally. Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra. Solid, powerful cigar. I'll have to have one this week and compare it to your review.

Cigar B was definitely a maduro. One of my favorite $5 cigars. Carlos Torano Casa Torano Maduro. Mmm...

Cigar C is another favotire maduro of mine when I can find them at a reasonable price. Graycliff 1666 Maduro.

Again, sorry it took me so dang long to get them out Joe. Computer exploded and family/holiday stuff really was insane. Hope you like the mystery sticks and the extras I included for you. :)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Huh. 0/3 again. I've never had an Edge sumatra, heard plenty about them though. Actually, I've never had any of those now that I think about it. I really enjoy the Casa Toraño natural, and now I can say I definitely prefer it to the maduro. The Graycliff surprises me, because I managed a couple puffs on a 1666 once before chucking it due to a tight draw or something, and I don't recall it tasting anything like that.

Thanks for the sticks Phil. I'm looking forward to trying that RP Signature mini-salamon, and the Achilles is a pretty solid smoke in my book.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    TheShaun:
    Graycliff 1666. Yup, haven't had one of those. But I do have one in the bottom of my humi from my first month of COTM, will wait till the spring before I have that one!

This has been a fun experience so far, can't wait till C.
    Had a chance to smoke C yet Shaun?
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    j0z3r:
    Huh. 0/3 again. I've never had an Edge sumatra, heard plenty about them though. Actually, I've never had any of those now that I think about it. I really enjoy the Casa Toraño natural, and now I can say I definitely prefer it to the maduro. The Graycliff surprises me, because I managed a couple puffs on a 1666 once before chucking it due to a tight draw or something, and I don't recall it tasting anything like that.

Thanks for the sticks Phil. I'm looking forward to trying that RP Signature mini-salamon, and the Achilles is a pretty solid smoke in my book.
    Tat and I smoke together and knowing him and his humi that Graycliff probably had been sitting in one of his humi's for quite some time. The last cigar I had out of his humi with any age on it was really good. I would leave my humi's at his house but would be affraid I would have many of my good sticks come up missing.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Sandman1am:
    j0z3r:

Tat and I smoke together and knowing him and his humi that Graycliff probably had been sitting in one of his humi's for quite some time. The last cigar I had out of his humi with any age on it was really good. I would leave my humi's at his house but would be affraid I would have many of my good sticks come up missing.
    lol. If my spreadsheet is correct, that Graycliff is from July or August. Even 4 months can make a big difference. Glad you liked it.
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:
    Graycliff 1666. Yup, haven't had one of those. But I do have one in the bottom of my humi from my first month of COTM, will wait till the spring before I have that one!

No brother I haven't. Really wanting to smoke it though. It's been sooooo freaking cold here that I wouldn't be able to hang out outdoors for very long. Hoping to get to it soon though. If not I may have to take it to Baton Rouge with me next week!
  • Options
    Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

If not I may have to take it to Baton Rouge with me next week!
    Hey, you are coming to Louisiana! Let me know if you want some good restaurant ideas if you've never been to Baton Rouge before, I love that town.
  • Options
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

Hey, you are coming to Louisiana! Let me know if you want some good restaurant ideas if you've never been to Baton Rouge before, I love that town.
    I've been to Baton Rouge many times but I'm all ears. Please tell me some of your favs.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

I've been to Baton Rouge many times but I'm all ears. Please tell me some of your favs.
    If you want a greasy hamburger for lunch one day, you MUST go to Raoul's Deli, it's right by the LSU campus two doors down from The Chimes. 7-8 Dollars will buy you the best burger I've ever had, though it is greasy as all get out. Al Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro (guy that started popeye's chicken) is overrated but they do serve an excellent Tuna steak. If you are a fan of pork loin at all, then Chelsea's pub makes the best. And my friend - if you ever find yourself near Lafayette, LA (about an hour away from BR ) you MUST eat at Prejean's...and I'd highly suggest the rocky mountain platter..which includes an elf, deer, and buffalo steak.

I'll have to give this some more thought!
  • Options
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

If you want a greasy hamburger for lunch one day, you MUST go to Raoul's Deli, it's right by the LSU campus two doors down from The Chimes. 7-8 Dollars will buy you the best burger I've ever had, though it is greasy as all get out. Al Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro (guy that started popeye's chicken) is overrated but they do serve an excellent Tuna steak. If you are a fan of pork loin at all, then Chelsea's pub makes the best. And my friend - if you ever find yourself near Lafayette, LA (about an hour away from BR ) you MUST eat at Prejean's...and I'd highly suggest the rocky mountain platter..which includes an elf, deer, and buffalo steak.

Elf steak? Is that seasonal?
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    alienmisprint:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

Santa's been getting rid of some of his bad little helpers to help with the state of the economy.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Sandman1am:
    alienmisprint:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

Santa's been getting rid of some of his bad little helpers to help with the state of the economy.
    the north pole is feeling the pinch just like the rest of us...
  • Options
    dennisking:
    Sandman1am:
    alienmisprint:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

I'd like to say something that would explain this in a way you would understand, such as...christmas music was on and so i accidentally typed elf instead of elk. However, that would be a lie. You actually get an elf with this meal, and however/whatever you decide to do with the elf is up to you. **Disclaimer** Residents of Mississippi do not qualify, and are expected to provide a sister/cousin for this part of their meal.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Cooper33:
    dennisking:
    Sandman1am:
    alienmisprint:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    Cooper33:
    TheShaun:
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

I'd like to say something that would explain this in a way you would understand, such as...christmas music was on and so i accidentally typed elf instead of elk. However, that would be a lie. You actually get an elf with this meal, and however/whatever you decide to do with the elf is up to you. **Disclaimer** Residents of Mississippi do not qualify, and are expected to provide a sister/cousin for this part of their meal.
    ha....I love the classic thread derailment here
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I'm sooo lost on this one haha. Who's turn is it anyway?
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    ejenne87:
    I asked a while ago and was going to ask again as I've returned from the dead. I've been so sick this past week...ugh. I still have 2 sticks to try from TheShaun. Hopefully I'll get my taste and smell back soon. Been dying to have a stick! Anyway, do you want to be my mystery mooch?
  • Options
    OK, so I braved the frigid cold that we've been having lately to have a smoke. Put on two sweaters, a coat, sweat pants, and jeans.

Gotta say that I'm clueless on this one. It had very classic cigar tastes, IMO. It was a torpedo, and very smooth and creamy, but smoked like a meal!

I'm going to guess Padilla Miami Torpedo.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Jdorais:
    ejenne87:
    I asked a while ago and was going to ask again as I've returned from the dead. I've been so sick this past week...ugh. I still have 2 sticks to try from TheShaun. Hopefully I'll get my taste and smell back soon. Been dying to have a stick! Anyway, do you want to be my mystery mooch?
    I wish I could bro but it's almost christmas and the mail here gets REALLY slow this time of year. Plus, it's like 10 degrees out at all times and I work at night! I'll have to hit this game up again when I get home.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    OK, so I braved the frigid cold that we've been having lately to have a smoke. Put on two sweaters, a coat, sweat pants, and jeans.

Gotta say that I'm clueless on this one. It had very classic cigar tastes, IMO. It was a torpedo, and very smooth and creamy, but smoked like a meal!

"Smoked like a meal" is a pretty good description IMO. It was a Cain Habano, one of my favorite new releases in a year full of really good new releases, lol.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    TheShaun:

"Smoked like a meal" is a pretty good description IMO. It was a Cain Habano, one of my favorite new releases in a year full of really good new releases, lol.
    That was a darn good smoke. Think I needed to be moving around while smoking it or have some company while enjoying it. Will have to revisit it in a smaller size down the road.

Thanks for the opportunity to partake in the game Alien!
  • Options
    Cigar B was very familiar tasting, but had some serious burn issues and the wrapper was coming undone the whole way through. I'm going to guess a Sol Cubano CC robusto.
  • Options
    ^^^^ Sorry to hear about the burn issues. Cigar B was a 5 Vegas Miami.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    ^^^^ Sorry to hear about the burn issues. Cigar B was a 5 Vegas Miami.
    Wow, I really enjoy those. No Biggie it musta been a bad stick. Looking forward to cigar C tomorrow during MNF.
  • Options
    Mmmmm, cigar C was dam fine cigar! The flavor was familiar. I'm torn between Padilla Miami Robusto or Casa Magna Robusto. My guess: Padilla Miami?
  • Options
    Jdorais:
    Mmmmm, cigar C was dam fine cigar! The flavor was familiar. I'm torn between Padilla Miami Robusto or Casa Magna Robusto. My guess: Padilla Miami?
    Spot on! Two 5 Vegas sticks and two Miami labeled sticks.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    Jdorais:
    Spot on! Two 5 Vegas sticks and two Miami labeled sticks.
    A theme! I didn't even see it until you pointed it out. DOH!
  • Options
    I'm still looking for a mooch!
  • Options
    still looking for a mooch. anyone?
  • Options
    Jdorais:
    still looking for a mooch. anyone?
    bump