Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Scotch??

Comments

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    reggie713:
    I've read thru this entire thread in the past couple of days, I have been thinking of joining the scotch community. Today, I join, I purchased my first bottle, with the help of all of you, this is what I chose! I thank you!image
    I have a love/hate relationship with Scotch. It has to totally hit me the right way for me to drink it. I'll try any kind, but The Balvenie Doublewood is the only kind I'll buy.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    On the subject of crazy expensive releases, do you want a bottle of whisky or a house?
    It's 54 years old! One thing I've always wondered about with these extremely old bottlings is the evaporation. As whiskey ages in the barrel, a significant percentage (3 - 5 %) is lost each year due to evaporation. Here in Kentucky, the distillers call it "the angel's share". At 3% evaporation per year that's 162% loss for a 54 year old whiskey. Do they re-hydrate it after so many years? It would almost have to be re-hydrated, or there wouldn't be much of anything left in the barrel, but I'm only guessing as to how they deal with that problem.

I checked out their cottages, too. The rates really aren't bad at all. Would that be a vacation,or what!?
    Yeah, angel's share makes things spendy. Rates of evaporation are heavily dependant on climate and whatnot, with Scotch going at about 2-4% a year. Remember, this is 2-4 of existing volume, not original. So 54 years leaves you with about 30% of your original cask. Also, this price is pure marketing. Glenfarclas makes a 40 year (and a damn good one at that) for $400. Hell, Gordon and MacPhail have 40 year blends that sit around $200.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am sure this whisky is fantastic. Most of the other stupidly expensive ones I have tried have been too. But that liquid in the bottle is only a small part of the pricing. As Rob said, this is a crazy price, and other liquors can age more or less and be far above and below that pricing.

Sooo.... who wants to do a 10,000 way split on this bottle? 75 microliters for everyone.
    ... Remember, this is 2-4 of existing volume, not original. So 54 years leaves you with about 30% of your original cask. ..."

When I was at Heaven Hill last month, they had some barrels from the mid-'60's that had not been opened, and the tour guide said that there was probably a gelatin like substance (he didn't say how much was probably still in there) that would have to be "re-hydrated" if it were ever to be consumed. I wish I had asked more questions.

IMO there are very few things in the world that are actually worth $150,000, and certainly there is no bottle of whiskey worth that much.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Yeah, angel's share makes things spendy. Rates of evaporation are heavily dependant on climate and whatnot, with Scotch going at about 2-4% a year. Remember, this is 2-4 of existing volume, not original. So 54 years leaves you with about 30% of your original cask. Also, this price is pure marketing. Glenfarclas makes a 40 year (and a damn good one at that) for $400. Hell, Gordon and MacPhail have 40 year blends that sit around $200.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am sure this whisky is fantastic. Most of the other stupidly expensive ones I have tried have been too. But that liquid in the bottle is only a small part of the pricing. As Rob said, this is a crazy price, and other liquors can age more or less and be far above and below that pricing.

Sooo.... who wants to do a 10,000 way split on this bottle? 75 microliters for everyone.
    ... Remember, this is 2-4 of existing volume, not original. So 54 years leaves you with about 30% of your original cask. ..."

When I was at Heaven Hill last month, they had some barrels from the mid-'60's that had not been opened, and the tour guide said that there was probably a gelatin like substance (he didn't say how much was probably still in there) that would have to be "re-hydrated" if it were ever to be consumed. I wish I had asked more questions.

IMO there are very few things in the world that are actually worth $150,000, and certainly there is no bottle of whiskey worth that much.
    I think your guide may have been full of his own product... If it was like gelatin, how would they be able to grab it with a whiskey thief? And what would be in all these old cask strength bottlings? Water is added to whiskey, especially Kentucky Whiskey and Bourbon, to lower the proof and bring out flavors(the proof goes up, because in areas like Kentucky more water evaporates than alcohol). Older whiskey might be thicker due to pulling more out of the barrel, but it isn't jell-o.

Also, the 'probably' would concern me. You can be pretty darn sure the Beams know exactly what is in each of their barrels.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

I think your guide may have been full of his own product... If it was like gelatin, how would they be able to grab it with a whiskey thief? And what would be in all these old cask strength bottlings? Water is added to whiskey, especially Kentucky Whiskey and Bourbon, to lower the proof and bring out flavors(the proof goes up, because in areas like Kentucky more water evaporates than alcohol). Older whiskey might be thicker due to pulling more out of the barrel, but it isn't jell-o.

Also, the 'probably' would concern me. You can be pretty darn sure the Beams know exactly what is in each of their barrels.
    You know, that's exactly what I was thinking when he said that. It struck me as being just "odd". Maybe the guy had a long day, who knows. At any rate, there was a big crowd, and I really didn't want to seem argumentative, but I'll bet he just pulled our leg with that one.
  • Options
    Tried the newish Drambuie 15 last night. Like a premixed rusty nail in a bottle. Get good flavors, lots of the the smooth honey and orange, but also a lot more true whisky taste. I could see this becoming my after dinner drink of choice.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Tried the newish Drambuie 15 last night. Like a premixed rusty nail in a bottle. Get good flavors, lots of the the smooth honey and orange, but also a lot more true whisky taste. I could see this becoming my after dinner drink of choice.
    So many bottles, so little time.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    And money. Why is all my money gone?
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    ikr!! between the scotch, the cigars, and dont get me started on the house payment!! LOL
  • Options
    reggie713:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    ikr!! between the scotch, the cigars, and dont get me started on the house payment!! LOL
    And traveling. I love getting in the car and meandering with the wife... but it ain't cheap.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    reggie713:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    And traveling. I love getting in the car and meandering with the wife... but it ain't cheap.
    Now there's a hobby! We used to do that all the time, we'd make a spur of the moment weekend out of a little drive in the country. You never know what's just around the corner.
  • Options
    There's a new bourbon in Kentucky. It's called Town Branch and I think it's gonna make some pretty big waves. The man behind it is Dr. Pearse Lyons. "Dr. Lyons, who spent his early years as an intern at both the Guinness and Harp Lager breweries, went on to become the first Irishman to achieve a formal degree in Brewing and Distilling from the British School of Malting and Brewing, a school with over 100 years of history. Five generations of Lyons’ family worked as coopers, supplying barrels to distilleries in Ireland and for a quarter of a century, Dr. Lyons’ alcohol school was synonymous with brewing and distilling."

He's the brains behind the award winning Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ales, and he's also making an Irish malt whiskey called Pearse Lyons Reserve. I just bought my first bottle today,and I'm looking forward to it.

"Symbolizing the passion of its founder and master distiller, Pearse Lyons Reserve™ is a malt whiskey distilled in dual copper pot stills from Scotland for the smoothest taste. Produced in the old-tradition with generations of inspiration from the Lyons Family, Pearse Lyons Reserve is a culmination of years of experience and passion.

The nose is sweet with notes of molasses and brown sugar, a touch of nutmeg, and vanilla. The taste is smooth and spicy with chili peppers that fade slowly to reveal slightly tart notes of lemon crème and molasses. The finish is dry and long with a subtle touch of oak and a hint of brown sugar. An excellent debut! "

Life is good.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/
  • Options
    JDH:
    There's a new bourbon in Kentucky. It's called Town Branch and I think it's gonna make some pretty big waves. The man behind it is Dr. Pearse Lyons. "Dr. Lyons, who spent his early years as an intern at both the Guinness and Harp Lager breweries, went on to become the first Irishman to achieve a formal degree in Brewing and Distilling from the British School of Malting and Brewing, a school with over 100 years of history. Five generations of Lyons’ family worked as coopers, supplying barrels to distilleries in Ireland and for a quarter of a century, Dr. Lyons’ alcohol school was synonymous with brewing and distilling."

He's the brains behind the award winning Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ales, and he's also making an Irish malt whiskey called Pearse Lyons Reserve. I just bought my first bottle today,and I'm looking forward to it.

"Symbolizing the passion of its founder and master distiller, Pearse Lyons Reserve™ is a malt whiskey distilled in dual copper pot stills from Scotland for the smoothest taste. Produced in the old-tradition with generations of inspiration from the Lyons Family, Pearse Lyons Reserve is a culmination of years of experience and passion.

The nose is sweet with notes of molasses and brown sugar, a touch of nutmeg, and vanilla. The taste is smooth and spicy with chili peppers that fade slowly to reveal slightly tart notes of lemon crème and molasses. The finish is dry and long with a subtle touch of oak and a hint of brown sugar. An excellent debut! "

Life is good.

Sounds interesting. I want to hear what you think when you try it. I am leery of people making the jump from Beer to Whiskey, had the stuff the Rogue makes, it was young and harsh and kinda bland.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I went to an moving sale on Saturday, and the seller had a 3/4 filled bottle of Balvenie Doublewood in the round contained on a shelf. Didn't have a price on it. I went to the seller and asked him if he'd take $5 for it--after getting his assurance he hadn't drunken from the bottle. He hadn't even thought about selling it and said yes. Needless to say, as I was walking back to my car three different men saw my bottle and were very jealous of my 'steal.'
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:

Life is good.

Sounds interesting. I want to hear what you think when you try it. I am leery of people making the jump from Beer to Whiskey, had the stuff the Rogue makes, it was young and harsh and kinda bland.
    Had my first two glasses last evening. It's got very nice color, the nose is very plesant, the initial flavor is surprising - it's more like a scotch whiskey than an Irish whiskey, and I enjoyed the initial taste, but it's young, and the finish is just faintly bittter. When it ages, I think this will be something much more enjoyable. Haven't had the bourbon yet, but I've heard good things about it.
  • Options
    JDH:
    Had my first two glasses last evening. It's got very nice color, the nose is very plesant, the initial flavor is surprising - it's more like a scotch whiskey than an Irish whiskey, and I enjoyed the initial taste, but it's young, and the finish is just faintly bittter. When it ages, I think this will be something much more enjoyable. Haven't had the bourbon yet, but I've heard good things about it.
    Are they planning to age it further? Also, I notice the bourbon isn't straight, always a concern.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Are they planning to age it further? Also, I notice the bourbon isn't straight, always a concern.
    Sometime this month I'll drop in and talk to them. I do know that they'll be offering older whiskey, but, as you know, good whiskey takes time. Don't know anything about their bourbon, but you can bet I'll give it a try. I'm just excited to have another distiller so close, and one with Irish roots is a big PLUS.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Sometime this month I'll drop in and talk to them. I do know that they'll be offering older whiskey, but, as you know, good whiskey takes time. Don't know anything about their bourbon, but you can bet I'll give it a try. I'm just excited to have another distiller so close, and one with Irish roots is a big PLUS.
    You live in Kentucky... Share the distillers with the rest of the class.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    OK, I can do that, but I'll put them in order of product preference, not geographic location (though they're all mostly located in a triangle between Louisville and Lexington, KY). Here's the official Kentucky Bourbon Trail:

Bourbon:
    Four Roses (Lawrenceburg), Woodford Reserve (Versailles), Buffalo Trace, (Frankfort), Wild Turkey (Lawrenceburg), Heaven Hill (Bardstown), Willett (Bardstown), Barton's 1792 (Bardstown), Jim Beam (Bardstown), Limestone Branch (Lebanon), Alltech Brewing (Lexington), Maker's Mark (Lebanon).

Other Whiskies:
    Barrel House (Lexington), Vodka, Mooneshine, and Rum,
    Corsair (Bowling Green), Single Malt Whiskies, Rye Whiskey, Gin and Barrel Aged Gin, and something that sounds just plain godawful; Pumpkin Spice Mooneshine

I hope I didn't leave anybody out.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    OK, I can do that, but I'll put them in order of product preference, not geographic location (though they're all mostly located in a triangle between Louisville and Lexington, KY). Here's the official Kentucky Bourbon Trail:

Bourbon:
    Four Roses (Lawrenceburg), Woodford Reserve (Versailles), Buffalo Trace, (Frankfort), Wild Turkey (Lawrenceburg), Heaven Hill (Bardstown), Willett (Bardstown), Barton's 1792 (Bardstown), Jim Beam (Bardstown), Limestone Branch (Lebanon), Alltech Brewing (Lexington), Maker's Mark (Lebanon).

Other Whiskies:
    Corsair (Bowling Green), Single Malt Whiskies, Rye Whiskey, Gin and Barrel Aged Gin, and something that sounds just plain godawful; Pumpkin Spice Mooneshine

I meant you already have a *** ton of distillers... let some of them come near me...
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:

Bourbon:

Other Whiskies:

I meant you already have a *** ton of distillers... let some of them come near me...
    There's a reason they make Bourbon here. Plentiful natural limestone spring water, corn grows like a damn weed, and the climate is just perfect, providing just the right amount of hot and cold to allow excellent travel through the charred oak barrels. You are right, though, for somebody who enjoys good Bourbon whiskey, this place is a little slice of Heaven Hill.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking a bottle of Talisker 10yr next payday, anyone ever had any?? Also whatever happened to that Brotherhood of the traveling flask in the Trade section?
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    It's all good!
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Hayblet:
    I'm thinking a bottle of Talisker 10yr next payday, anyone ever had any?? Also whatever happened to that Brotherhood of the traveling flask in the Trade section?
    Hey bud, I've enjoyed a few drams of the Talisker 10 yr, verrry good scotch for the money. Prepare for a lot of smokey, peaty goodness. A great scotch, overall.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    We just bought a bottle of talisker 25yr for a coworker who just retires. Damn expensive bottle!
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Hit a couple of Scotch tastings in the last few days. The 19th Single Malt and Scotch Whisky Extravaganza at the Taj in Boston, courtesy of Kappy's Peabody, then yesterday Tony Tony's (his actual name is Tony Anthony) Scotch tasting at Kappy's Peabody. While there was lots of great stuff at both tastings, it made me realize how fortunate I am to have these guys nearby. Just from attending the tastings at Kappy's and talking to Donnie and Tony there, I had walked into both tastings and already had tried most of the bottles on the tables.

The new ones:

Balvenie 17 year old Double Wood - definitely a standout of the night at the extravaganza - surprisingly balanced oak with peppery spice and hints of dark fruit.

Laphroaig 25 year - Thanks to John for letting me try this - amazingly balanced Islay with lots of Iodine and sea air notes but dialed back smoke and a lingering smoked fruitiness from the Sherry casking.

Glenmorangie Signet - Thanks to George for letting me try this - this was a treat that even my girlfriend really liked - creamy toffee and caramel notes with chocolate and coffee lingering. A bit pricey but I had Tony order a bottle on the spot.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Hit a couple of Scotch tastings in the last few days. The 19th Single Malt and Scotch Whisky Extravaganza at the Taj in Boston, courtesy of Kappy's Peabody, then yesterday Tony Tony's (his actual name is Tony Anthony) Scotch tasting at Kappy's Peabody. While there was lots of great stuff at both tastings, it made me realize how fortunate I am to have these guys nearby. Just from attending the tastings at Kappy's and talking to Donnie and Tony there, I had walked into both tastings and already had tried most of the bottles on the tables.

The new ones:

Balvenie 17 year old Double Wood - definitely a standout of the night at the extravaganza - surprisingly balanced oak with peppery spice and hints of dark fruit.

Laphroaig 25 year - Thanks to John for letting me try this - amazingly balanced Islay with lots of Iodine and sea air notes but dialed back smoke and a lingering smoked fruitiness from the Sherry casking.

Glenmorangie Signet - Thanks to George for letting me try this - this was a treat that even my girlfriend really liked - creamy toffee and caramel notes with chocolate and coffee lingering. A bit pricey but I had Tony order a bottle on the spot.
    I am very much looking forward to the new Balvenie. The 'complaint' I always have about the 12 is it just seems like the balance is a bit off, and it sounds like the extra age is going to resolve that. Good call on the signet too. I keep wanting to get a bottle, but the cost and kinda weird finish tang keeps staying my hand. I really need to revist that whisky.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I really liked the new Balvenie, as did a lot of the guys that I was with (and these are industry guys who live for Scotch). I'll agree that the Signet is definitely a bit overpriced, especially compared to the rest of their portfolio but I really like them as a brand and my girlfriend really liked that scotch. Ashley + Like = Rob - Money.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I really liked the new Balvenie, as did a lot of the guys that I was with (and these are industry guys who live for Scotch). I'll agree that the Signet is definitely a bit overpriced, especially compared to the rest of their portfolio but I really like them as a brand and my girlfriend really liked that scotch. Ashley + Like = Rob - Money.
    I know how that goes. My wife is almost as hard on my whisky/alcohol budget as I am. Luckily, we tend towards the same stuff.

On the new to me whisky front, tried the Ardbeg Galileo the other night. I think I will have to try it again, as I had already had a few drinks and a spicy dinner, but I don't think I like it. Or at least don't like it enough to buy it over anything else at that price point. It feels almost like two completely different whiskies that don't blend well. Need to taste again with a clean pallate, but I don't have high hopes.
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:
    I know how that goes. My wife is almost as hard on my whisky/alcohol budget as I am. Luckily, we tend towards the same stuff.

On the new to me whisky front, tried the Ardbeg Galileo the other night. I think I will have to try it again, as I had already had a few drinks and a spicy dinner, but I don't think I like it. Or at least don't like it enough to buy it over anything else at that price point. It feels almost like two completely different whiskies that don't blend well. Need to taste again with a clean pallate, but I don't have high hopes.
    I had a much different experience with the ardbeg galilleo. For me it had a taste of camp fire by the ocean side with the sweet smokey flavor that the ardbegs have, but also a hint of saltiness to it. Very smooth and clean on the palate with a decent finish to it.
  • Options
    Trident:
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:

I had a much different experience with the ardbeg galilleo. For me it had a taste of camp fire by the ocean side with the sweet smokey flavor that the ardbegs have, but also a hint of saltiness to it. Very smooth and clean on the palate with a decent finish to it.
    I think it was the underlying fruit, I assume from the wine casks. It was a sickly sweet that clashed with the smoke that is the base of the Ardbeg. For me, it tasted of over-ripe fruit served with smoked meats. Neither taste is bad, but they clash heavily, and don't sit well together. It was mellow, chewy, and a very good finish. The front and nose was kinda bland and simple, but not 'bad', just not as robust as any other Ardbeg. Honestly, it was only the actual taste that seemed off, but, boy did it seem off to my tongue. My disclaimer to all of this is I had no plans for tasting that night, and my food and earlier beverage choices could easily have made a large difference in my pallate. Also, it could be expectations, as this is very different from any other Ardbeg I have had. A friend said it best, tasted almost like a Glenmorangie experimenting with smoke instead of an Ardbeg expression. I need to revisit it, but my first impressions have me much prefering Beist and Corry... maybe even the standard 10 year.