Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Scotch??

Comments

• Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Hayblet:
    Trident:
    Going to be doing my first scotch review tomorrow night. This will hopefully be a regular thing. Will provide the link once it is posted. I have a feeling we are starting with the Ardbeg Galileo. So that in itself makes me excited!
    Hey buddy wanna trade some sticks for some scotch? :D
    This will be a great addition to the forum, and I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    This really got my curiosity up, and I did some poking around on the net, & found fairly universal consensus with your oxidizing theory. Looks like you're right again.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/03/whiskey-wednesday-whiskey-age-and.html

Instead of the product from Amazon you suggested, I think I'll just put the Pappys in smaller bottles and stick a cork in it, and keep it in the cabinet, that ought to work and I've already got the bottles (cause I also make beer). Thanks for the heads up.
    You doubted me? I am hurt. :P But seriously, smaller bottles work too. I just don't normally suggest it because it takes up a larger footprint in your liquor cabinet... and mine is always at a premium.

On the topic of Scotch, tried some Glen Garioch Founders Reserve last night with some aged and salted cheddar. Glorious. Not sure if I will buy a bottle, but definitly a pairing I will try again.
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    Trident:
    Going to be doing my first scotch review tomorrow night. This will hopefully be a regular thing. Will provide the link once it is posted. I have a feeling we are starting with the Ardbeg Galileo. So that in itself makes me excited!

I will gladly send some sticks for scotch...you got some supernova?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    This really got my curiosity up, and I did some poking around on the net, & found fairly universal consensus with your oxidizing theory. Looks like you're right again.

By his description of the third bottle, it sounded more like alcohol evaporation than oxidation. Oxidation would have led to off flavors, not subtle flavors. While I don't really buy into this theory completely (distilled spirits oxidize MUCH more slowly compared to fermented ones - beer/wine), over great periods of time, it is possible. Also, if there is not a very tight seal, alcohol evaporation is a definite possibility as well.

Another suggestion I've heard is to use marbles to displace the spirit in the bottle, leaving less head room, thus less room for oxygen. Just be careful when pouring.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    JDH:

By his description of the third bottle, it sounded more like alcohol evaporation than oxidation. Oxidation would have led to off flavors, not subtle flavors. While I don't really buy into this theory completely (distilled spirits oxidize MUCH more slowly compared to fermented ones - beer/wine), over great periods of time, it is possible. Also, if there is not a very tight seal, alcohol evaporation is a definite possibility as well.

Another suggestion I've heard is to use marbles to displace the spirit in the bottle, leaving less head room, thus less room for oxygen. Just be careful when pouring.
    As I said, I have never experienced it in my collection, but I know people that have, and tasted bottles that have had both subdued and out of character flavors. And, at the risk of an appeal to authority fallacy, I have heard both Jimmy Russell and John Hansell talk about experiencing this and warn against it. My thoughts are this, if someone can reduce emove the risk, no matter how small, to their $100+ favorite bottle whisk(e)y for a buck... why not?
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:
    JDH:

As I said, I have never experienced it in my collection, but I know people that have, and tasted bottles that have had both subdued and out of character flavors. And, at the risk of an appeal to authority fallacy, I have heard both Jimmy Russell and John Hansell talk about experiencing this and warn against it. My thoughts are this, if someone can reduce emove the risk, no matter how small, to their $100+ favorite bottle whisk(e)y for a buck... why not?
    You've spoken with Jimmy Russel, the Master Distiller for Wild Turkey in Larwenceburg KY, of Russel's Reserve fame (another TERRIFIC bourbon with a price point that makes it one of those bourbons you just SHOULD try)? There has to be a story there.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:
    JDH:

You've spoken with Jimmy Russel, the Master Distiller for Wild Turkey in Larwenceburg KY, of Russel's Reserve fame (another TERRIFIC bourbon with a price point that makes it one of those bourbons you just SHOULD try)? There has to be a story there.
    Well, he was at Whiskyfest Chicago. I said, "Hey, you're James Russell". He said, "Yes, I am. Call me Jimmy." Then I went to his seminar, during which the issue was briefly mentioned, and talked briefly with him afterward (I was like 15+ tastings deep at that point, my recollection could be a little fuzzy if I did any talking, or one of my group did...but yeah). There are a lot of Master Distillers and such that show up that show up. Craig Beam is another one I met at one of the 'fests.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:
    JDH:

Well, he was at Whiskyfest Chicago. I said, "Hey, you're James Russell". He said, "Yes, I am. Call me Jimmy." Then I went to his seminar, during which the issue was briefly mentioned, and talked briefly with him afterward (I was like 15+ tastings deep at that point, my recollection could be a little fuzzy if I did any talking, or one of my group did...but yeah). There are a lot of Master Distillers and such that show up that show up. Craig Beam is another one I met at one of the 'fests.
    I think,...I may be turnng green....envy is a bad thing, I know, but....that must have been a LOT OF FUN!
  • Options
    JDH:
    I think,...I may be turnng green....envy is a bad thing, I know, but....that must have been a LOT OF FUN!
    If you like Whisky, you should definitly go. Lots of people to meet, everyone unveils their new products, and a great tasting list. (And those are only the listed ones, usually there are more at the tables, and even more in the hospitatlity suite). Awesome stuff, and tickets are pretty darn cheap for a weekend of fun.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Trident:
    Hayblet:
    Trident:

I will gladly send some sticks for scotch...you got some supernova?
    lol ment the other way around >.<
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    If you like Whisky, you should definitly go. Lots of people to meet, everyone unveils their new products, and a great tasting list. (And those are only the listed ones, usually there are more at the tables, and even more in the hospitatlity suite). Awesome stuff, and tickets are pretty darn cheap for a weekend of fun.
    holy crap that's a humidor shy of Heaven. There's no way you could taste it all and still be standing, more or less really taste anything after so much
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    You know...I'm retiring in March, and that may be the best way to kick start a new begining I can think of. What a list! The best Bourbons, some damn fine Irish Whiskies, and lots of fine Scotch Whiskey to discover. How soon should the tickets be purchased? Send me a PM with ticket costs.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    You know...I'm retiring in March, and that may be the best way to kick start a new begining I can think of. What a list! The best Bourbons, some damn fine Irish Whiskies, and lots of fine Scotch Whiskey to discover. How soon should the tickets be purchased? Send me a PM with ticket costs.
    PM to ya
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I've read thru this entire thread in the past couple of days, I have been thinking of joining the scotch community. Today, I join, I purchased my first bottle, with the help of all of you, this is what I chose! I thank you!image
  • Options
    robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    reggie713:
    I've read thru this entire thread in the past couple of days, I have been thinking of joining the scotch community. Today, I join, I purchased my first bottle, with the help of all of you, this is what I chose! I thank you!image
    Hey Reggie great choice, you can't go wrong with that brand
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Have some of that myself in the pantry that I am getting into tonight myself.
  • Options
    Well gentlemen I can say this was a beautiful scotch. I found the honey towards the front and along the finish with just the right amount of kick if you will in the middle.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Well gentlemen I can say this was a beautiful scotch. I found the honey towards the front and along the finish with just the right amount of kick if you will in the middle.
    how did you drink it? straight up, chilled, on the rocks? im new to this scotch thing, so i am a little curious
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    PM to ya
    I do believe this is officially on my Bucket List
  • Options
    reggie713:
    Bombay:
    how did you drink it? straight up, chilled, on the rocks? im new to this scotch thing, so i am a little curious
    I drank it on the rocks.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    If you liked that, keep your eye out. They are releasing a 17 year expression of the doublewood this year.
  • Options
    Scotch reviews went well. Typing them up and should have them for you guys if you want them. Working on also getting them onto the website We reviewed 4 bottles. Dalwhinnie 15 yo, glenmorangie artein, Glenlivet Nadurra, and Ardbeg Galileo.
  • Options
    I really like the Nadurra and enjoyed the Artein this year. If you can find it, look for their limited run PX from 2 or 3 years ago. Might be near impossible to find at this point but that was pretty fantastic.
  • Options
    cool. will definately keep an eye out.
  • Options
    On the subject of crazy expensive releases, do you want a bottle of whisky or a house?
  • Options
    Wow
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    On the subject of crazy expensive releases, do you want a bottle of whisky or a house?
    It's 54 years old! One thing I've always wondered about with these extremely old bottlings is the evaporation. As whiskey ages in the barrel, a significant percentage (3 - 5 %) is lost each year due to evaporation. Here in Kentucky, the distillers call it "the angel's share". At 3% evaporation per year that's 162% loss for a 54 year old whiskey. Do they re-hydrate it after so many years? It would almost have to be re-hydrated, or there wouldn't be much of anything left in the barrel, but I'm only guessing as to how they deal with that problem.

I checked out their cottages, too. The rates really aren't bad at all. Would that be a vacation,or what!?
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    It's 54 years old! One thing I've always wondered about with these extremely old bottlings is the evaporation. As whiskey ages in the barrel, a significant percentage (3 - 5 %) is lost each year due to evaporation. Here in Kentucky, the distillers call it "the angel's share". At 3% evaporation per year that's 162% loss for a 54 year old whiskey. Do they re-hydrate it after so many years? It would almost have to be re-hydrated, or there wouldn't be much of anything left in the barrel, but I'm only guessing as to how they deal with that problem.
    You can't exactly re-hydrate it without either losing the alcohol (if you rehydrate with water) or losing the age (if you re-hydrate with whisky). This is exactly why older spirits become more expensive. At the rate of evaporation, after 50+ years, they've lost a lot of product. On the other hand, $155K is absurd. I don't care if it's for charities, the only people buying this are going to be the extremely rich, who don't know what do do with all the money in their pockets.

On a side note, have you ever compared relative ages and prices? Minimum and maximum age is a really interesting one, especially when you think of rate of evaporation in different climates. This is why you generally don't see Tequila more than 7 years old (and it's always blended) and that can cost you hundreds of dollars. Scotch makers generally wouldn't think of releasing a scotch that's less than 10 years old (with a few exceptions). Cognac can be well over 100 years old, blended with younger Cognacs to create ultra premium blends. Bourbon gets tough to find after 30 years old and pricey but not nearly as much as Scotch (market trends are interesting too). Rum is similar to Bourbon in that respect.

Take a 30 year old Scotch, Rum, Cognac (would have to be average 30 years) and Bourbon and compare prices. I don't mention Tequila because, as I said, you won't find it more than 7 or 8 years old, but throw that one in there for good measure. You'll get some interesting results.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

I checked out their cottages, too. The rates really aren't bad at all. Would that be a vacation,or what!?
    Yeah, angel's share makes things spendy. Rates of evaporation are heavily dependant on climate and whatnot, with Scotch going at about 2-4% a year. Remember, this is 2-4 of existing volume, not original. So 54 years leaves you with about 30% of your original cask. Also, this price is pure marketing. Glenfarclas makes a 40 year (and a damn good one at that) for $400. Hell, Gordon and MacPhail have 40 year blends that sit around $200.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am sure this whisky is fantastic. Most of the other stupidly expensive ones I have tried have been too. But that liquid in the bottle is only a small part of the pricing. As Rob said, this is a crazy price, and other liquors can age more or less and be far above and below that pricing.

Sooo.... who wants to do a 10,000 way split on this bottle? 75 microliters for everyone.
  • Options
    Also, yes, a tour of Scotland is on my bucket list.