Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Scotch??

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    If Scotch isn't your thing, don't try to force yourself to like it. Go with what you like. I personally love most Whiskey and Rum but that's just me. What's your poison?

And you forgot to send me your info.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    If Scotch isn't your thing, don't try to force yourself to like it. Go with what you like. I personally love most Whiskey and Rum but that's just me. What's your poison?

Rob, defintely won't force myself, but would like to give it a fair chance. Rum is my poison on the spirits side, beer on the non-spirits side.

Info PM'd.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    If your whisky is a little "hot" then I would suggest the water like you did or smoke a fuller bodied cigar. It will open your palate and will change the fuller bodied scotch
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    If your whisky is a little "hot" then I would suggest the water like you did or smoke a fuller bodied cigar. It will open your palate and will change the fuller bodied scotch
    Dennis, I would to have loved to smoke a cigar with it ANY cigar as a matter of fact but that, once again, looks like it is months away.
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    The Whisky Advocate's tasting notes is a great place to find notes for almost any whisk(e)y. I don't always agree with their numerical ratings, but the tasting notes are pretty much spot on. It's a great way to find flavors you know you like, then expand on them or find complimentary tastes.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Rob provided great information about the geographical impact on fine scotch from Scotland. I would like to add the importance of water comes from the highland which is a very important for fine Scotch. The Scottish Highland spring water sources have been in use for fine scotch since 1500 century. However, the quality of water was highlighted by King James IV of Scottland. The spring water from Highland has been naturally filtered by the sandstone and basalt formed 400 million years ago. Highland spring water is naturally lower in mineral, virtually sodium-free and nitrate-free. It is one of the best mineral less water on earth which helps to create finest Single or blended malt.
    Rob1110:
    Thought I'd chime in here and thanks, Glen for calling me out of my cave on this one. Definitely some good suggestions here. I personally love Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Glenlivet (notice a trend - they're all from the same region), Oban, Abelour (Abunadh) and think these are all great intros for beginners. First, I think educating yourself a little is the best place to start:

Scotch is ONLY produced in Scotland. Outside Scotland, it is Whisky (or Whiskey as the Americans spell it). It can be single malt or blended and is typically aged in ex-American Bourbon barrels (sometimes finished in different barrels, sometimes even spending its entire life in barrels other than Bourbon). Without getting into too much detail about the actual production, it's important to understand defining characteristics of different regions (just like wine, Scotch produced in different regions of Scotland will have vastly different characteristics and notes):

Highland: These are often the best introductory scotches, along with Speysides because of their rounded nature. Often having a touch of smoke, it is not too overpowering but balanced by notes of grain and fruit.

Speyside: Technically a part of the Highland region, these scotches are very interchangeable with highlands - very round, little smoke/peat, grain and fruit.

Lowland: Only a few working distilleries still in existence in this region - Auchentoshan being the standout - these scotches tend to be light, grassy and floral, though sometimes can have a bit of bite as they're often not aged very long in order to preserve the light nature.

Islay: Scotches from this area are very bold with notes of peat smoke, iodine, salt water and the sea air, these can be an acquired taste and often difficult for beginners to wrap their pallets around.

Islands: Technically another part of the Highland region, these scotches actually resemble the Islay style. Not always being quite as smokey with a bit more sea air and pepper notes.

Campbeltown: This region was once a huge producer but now functions more like the Lowlands, in that only 3 or 4 working distilleries still exist. It was once considered part of the Highlands but has re-established itself since. These Scotches also have the distinct peat smoke and sea air characteristics of their Islay and Island cousins.

Cheers!
  • Options
    +1. If you drink the top quality, aged Scotch or whisky and feel little strong then simply add little spring water lower in mineral such as Highland Spring or Evian. The finest restaurants make their ice cubes from high quality spring water. It does make a huge difference. I make my own ice cubes when I drink high quality single malt or wishky.
    dennisking:
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Thanks for the suggestions, gonna go to Bevmo today and get a bottle I still don't know exactly what I want but ow I got some good options thanks to you guys, I'll let you know what I pick up
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Since I have distilled water laying around for humidifiers and such, I have found that a little shot of distilled water mixes well with scotch.
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    Since I have distilled water laying around for humidifiers and such, I have found that a little shot of distilled water mixes well with scotch.
    A splash of water is great way to open up a scotch (or any whisky) to find more flavors too. Also, little tasting tips:

Always nose the glass with your mouth open so you don't burn your sinuses.

Pour a bit in a wine glass or brandy snifter (or a glencairn if you want to be super snooty), then swirl it with your hand underneath the bowl, letting the whisky warm. Brings some of the sweeter flavors forward.

Enjoy a drink like you would a good cigar, slowly, hold it in your mouth and let yourself explore the flavors and feel of it as you drink. Exhale through your nose after swallowing to find flavors.

And my personal favorite, pour a drop or two on your palm, then rub your hands together until they becom sticky, cup and smell. This burns off the alcohol and leaves you with much of the flavor. Great for finding nuanced flavors, especially in some of the peaty monsters out there. And once you have the flavor in your nose, it is easier to find on your tongue.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Also, little tasting tips:

Always nose the glass with your mouth open so you don't burn your sinuses.
    This is also to open your pallet, just as retrohailing a cigar. Start with the glass further away from your nose. Trained pallets will also pick up different notes from each nostril.
    jthanatos:
    Enjoy a drink like you would a good cigar, slowly, hold it in your mouth and let yourself explore the flavors and feel of it as you drink. Exhale through your nose after swallowing to find flavors.
    A note on this: when bringing the liquid into your mouth, do not let it hit the tip of your tongue. This was a trick taught to me by a very experienced taster. The taste buds on the tip of your tongue are so concentrated and sensitive that you will easily burn them out upon the first sip and will only taste heat (this doesn't apply to wine or beer). Next time you sip, put your tongue under the glass and let the drink hit the middle of your tongue first. Let it sit there before rolling off to the sides and front of your tongue. You will pick up much more this way.
    jthanatos:
    And my personal favorite, pour a drop or two on your palm, then rub your hands together until they becom sticky, cup and smell. This burns off the alcohol and leaves you with much of the flavor. Great for finding nuanced flavors, especially in some of the peaty monsters out there. And once you have the flavor in your nose, it is easier to find on your tongue.
    Just don't scratch your nuts first. Sorry, I had to get in on that one.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I never knew drinking Scotch could be so complicated.... Sniffing, sipping rubbing, tonguing, scratching.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    jthanatos:
    I always wondered why all my whisky smelled a bit vinegary...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Rob1110:

Rob, defintely won't force myself, but would like to give it a fair chance. Rum is my poison on the spirits side, beer on the non-spirits side.

Info PM'd.
    I have had that "feeling" too with some scotch's. I think it's something you get use to when you have more diversity if that makes sense. I use to think cognac was "hot" and had a strong profile but the more I drank it and whiskeys I warmed up to it. I also use to hate beer, oh those were the days!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:
    jthanatos:
    ... that's gross.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    jthanatos:
    Rob1110:
    jthanatos:
    ... that's gross.
    HAHAHAHA.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    bumpapotamus don't let this one die!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Just picked up some The Balvanie 21 Year Portwood. Good stuff gents, even for beginners like me.
  • Options
    Excellent choice...21 years old has been matured in oak casks then transferred to port cask that adds extra level of dept and add concentrated fruit and smoky notes. This is one of my favourite single malt.
    james40:
    Just picked up some The Balvanie 21 Year Portwood. Good stuff gents, even for beginners like me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    rzaman:
    Excellent choice...21 years old has been matured in oak casks then transferred to port cask that adds extra level of dept and add concentrated fruit and smoky notes. This is one of my favourite single malt.
    james40:
    thanks. Honestly, my first real scotch experience (more than $20/bottle). I was so impressed that I bought a bottle after one drink. Not cheap but really good.
  • Options
    rzaman:
    james40:
    +1

The portwood is one of my favorite of The Balvenie. The Caribbean Cask is still my favorite of their current line. I am currently enjoying Ardbeg Airidh Nam Beist with a bottle of the Corryvreckan waiting in the wings.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    jthanatos:
    rzaman:
    james40:
    +1

The portwood is one of my favorite of The Balvenie. The Caribbean Cask is still my favorite of their current line. I am currently enjoying Ardbeg Airidh Nam Beist with a bottle of the Corryvreckan waiting in the wings.
    Ardbeg Beist? Now that's a scotch.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    jthanatos:
    rzaman:
    james40:
    +1

I am a little sad, as I am pretty sure this is my last bottle of the Beist and I don't think I will find another bottle any time soon.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    beatnic:
    jthanatos:
    rzaman:
    james40:
    +1

I am a little sad, as I am pretty sure this is my last bottle of the Beist and I don't think I will find another bottle any time soon.
    they don't make it anymore sadly, but you might find it online?
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    jthanatos:
    beatnic:
    jthanatos:
    rzaman:
    james40:
    +1

I know. Only trustworthy place I can find it is at the whiskyexchange, but I don't know if I want to drop £110.00 on it plus shipping, plus the chance of it getting stuck in customs. I will probably continue to do as I usually do, and charm my way into liquor store back rooms and private stocks, looking for ordered bottles that people never picked up, or find it mis-stocked with other Ardbegs.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jthanatos:
    Hayblet:
    jthanatos:
    beatnic:
    jthanatos:
    rzaman:
    james40:
    +1

I know. Only trustworthy place I can find it is at the whiskyexchange, but I don't know if I want to drop £110.00 on it plus shipping, plus the chance of it getting stuck in customs. I will probably continue to do as I usually do, and charm my way into liquor store back rooms and private stocks, looking for ordered bottles that people never picked up, or find it mis-stocked with other Ardbegs.
    I've read a lot of good things about Ardbeg Scotch whiskey, but, sad to say, I've not had any of their line. What's it like?
  • Options
    They are all pretty to very peaty, with their special lines usually more so, with an underlying sweetness, either malt or fruit. Most have a smokey finish, with I guess I would say leather or dark chocolate hints. I find them all to have a pretty chewy mouthfeel. They almost all nose strong, and need a bit of water and a bit of time to breathe before you drink, as they all sit at higher proofs. Beist is 92 and Corry is like 110? 114? something like that. Otherwise, each of the No Age Statement releases being unique to itself.

Long story short, excellent whisky, but not easy to describe their whole line. Get a bottle of their 10 year as a base of comparison, then try what you find. The only thing I haven't liked was their original Supernova release, though I hear the second release was better.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    They are all pretty to very peaty, with their special lines usually more so, with an underlying sweetness, either malt or fruit. Most have a smokey finish, with I guess I would say leather or dark chocolate hints. I find them all to have a pretty chewy mouthfeel. They almost all nose strong, and need a bit of water and a bit of time to breathe before you drink, as they all sit at higher proofs. Beist is 92 and Corry is like 110? 114? something like that. Otherwise, each of the No Age Statement releases being unique to itself.

Long story short, excellent whisky, but not easy to describe their whole line. Get a bottle of their 10 year as a base of comparison, then try what you find. The only thing I haven't liked was their original Supernova release, though I hear the second release was better.
    Sounds interesting, except I haven't quite fully developed an appreciation for the "peat". It really is an acquired taste. My experience with Scotch is that, if you are going to drink it, you should be prepared to buy good (usually expensive) whiskey, because bad Scotch is a lot worse than bad Bourbon, but good Scotch is a lot better than good Bourbon, IMO.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

Sounds interesting, except I haven't quite fully developed an appreciation for the "peat". It really is an acquired taste. My experience with Scotch is that, if you are going to drink it, you should be prepared to buy good (usually expensive) whiskey, because bad Scotch is a lot worse than bad Bourbon, but good Scotch is a lot better than good Bourbon, IMO.
    I would agree to a point. There is a lot more good stuff in the lower price points for bourbon than scotch, and bottom prices are lower too. Evan Williams jumps to mind, as does Buffalo Trace. But there are good values in Scotch too, especially if you are just looking for your 'table whisky', such as Monkey Shoulder, Auchentoshan Classic, and Aberfeldy 12. The new Johnnie Walker double black is pretty tasty, but a little higher on the price chart.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

I would agree to a point. There is a lot more good stuff in the lower price points for bourbon than scotch, and bottom prices are lower too. Evan Williams jumps to mind, as does Buffalo Trace. But there are good values in Scotch too, especially if you are just looking for your 'table whisky', such as Monkey Shoulder, Auchentoshan Classic, and Aberfeldy 12. The new Johnnie Walker double black is pretty tasty, but a little higher on the price chart.
    Haven't had any of those you mention - usually when I buy Scotch, it's Highland Park or Glenmorainge, $40 -$50 per bottle - maybe I ought to do a little more sippin and tastin!