Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Scotch??

Comments

• Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I love scotch, and honestly you don't have to spend a lot to get a good bottle but you can. I would start with Aberlour 12 yr. around $40 here and has a nice sherry profile. It is not a sherry monster like some are but it will help you decide on what you like. I would also suggest Highland Park 12 yr. It is very good and around $45 here. Has a hint of peat which I like. If you like that try Laphroig 10 yr. cask strength it and Adbreg 10 have more peat in their profile Adbreg is cheap Laphroig when you can find it is closer to $65-70 but you get a higher proof. That should keep you busy for a while. If you try something that you really like let us know. I am sure that we can make some suggestions based on what you like.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    @ Joz3r: Any time, brother. I just wouldn't recommend coming up here in the winter months. Not exactly smoking weather. Though that's a much better time to sip on scotch or cognac.

@ JDH: The Glenmorangie 10 is decent but their barrel finished versions are much more interesting. Basically, they take the 10, which has been sitting in ex-Bourbon barrels for 10 years and they put it into Port, Sauturnes, Sherry, etc. casks for an additional 2 years. I personally love the Lasanta (Oloroso Sherry finish) and the Qinta Ruban (Port Cask Finish) as they have some added fruit notes to soften the base scotch a bit.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Rob1110:
    @ Joz3r: Any time, brother. I just wouldn't recommend coming up here in the winter months. Not exactly smoking weather. Though that's a much better time to sip on scotch or cognac.

@ JDH: The Glenmorangie 10 is decent but their barrel finished versions are much more interesting. Basically, they take the 10, which has been sitting in ex-Bourbon barrels for 10 years and they put it into Port, Sauturnes, Sherry, etc. casks for an additional 2 years. I personally love the Lasanta (Oloroso Sherry finish) and the Qinta Ruban (Port Cask Finish) as they have some added fruit notes to soften the base scotch a bit.
    Rob, how would you compare it (Glenmorangie 10) the to Highland Park 12 year or Redbrest 12 year?

• Options
    pelirrojo:
    JDH:
    My favorite liquor store has Glenmorainge 10 year (750 ml) on sale for under $40. The display is in their walk-in humidor. Anybody had this whiskey?

My local liquor store has it on sale too, so I got a little sample of it. It was a little harsh for my liking, but I prefer a smoother sweeter scotch. It wasn't bad by any means just didn't fit my taste.

My favorites these days for single malt would be Glenfiddich 12 or 15, Scapa (I highly recommend, but they quit making the 14yr), and Aberfeldy. All of these can be found for less than 50 or 60 bucks. As far as blends go, I like 12 year Dewars, Johhny Walker Green Label (I think they're discontinuing this), and you can never go wrong with Dimple Pinch.
    I'm completely unfamiliar with any of those whiskies. Usually, I drink Bourbon, but sometimes I'll have a Scotch or Irish whiskey. On those occasions, it's Highland Park or Glenlevitt, or Greenore or Redbreast. My problem with Scotch is that, for my taste, a little peat goes a long way, and because Scotch is so expensive, I haven't dipped into those waters often enough.

• Options
    JDH:
    Rob, how would you compare it (Glenmorangie 10) the to Highland Park 12 year or Redbrest 12 year?
    I can't honestly say I've had those. I may have tried them in a tasting but honestly don't think I have. I've heard good things about both though. Depending on price, I'd recommend the barrel finished versions of the Glenmorangie.
  • Options
    Cazzie13Cazzie13 Posts: 48
    I am a big scotch drinker and what I can tell you is just like cigars its a matter of taste. Search for some whiskey bars in your neighborhood and see if they do scotch flights (1oz tastings of 3 different kinds of scotch usually all single malts) from there you can see what kind of flavors you enjoy. My 2 current favorites are Balvenie Carribean ask (aged in rums casks to finish off the flavor) and MaCallan 15 year fine oak cask. Like others have mentioned you dont have to spend a lot for a good bottle. People rave about Johnny Walker Blue and I can think of 15 scotches at a fraction of the price that are smoother and have better a better flavor profile.
  • Options
    JDH: After reading your last post, I would recommend the Port or Sherry finished Scotches even more since you said you're a Bourbon drinker. You'll get the underlying fruit, sweetness you're probably used to without much peat or smoke.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    JDH: After reading your last post, I would recommend the Port or Sherry finished Scotches even more since you said you're a Bourbon drinker. You'll get the underlying fruit, sweetness you're probably used to without much peat or smoke.
    Thanks Rob. I'll keep that in mind the next time I shop for Scotch. There's another bonus to drinking Scotch instead of Bourbon; a lot fewer calories, and a lot more variety. I have got to educate myself in the world of Scotch whiskey.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    HOW IN THE FLYING HELL DID I MISS THIS THREAD?????
    Oh man where to start... My first bottle was GlenLivit 12 I think.... tho I did dabble in JW Red n Black beforehand oddly enough liking Red better...

I'm really a noob when it comes to Scotch, most of my Scotch experiences comes from drinking Scotch with my Step dad... who is only 4 years older than me... creep factor aside, I can suggest stuff that awesome friends of mine and fellow BORKS have suggested, and also based on what I've had

1: Ardbeg: in my experiences you CANNOT go wrong with this peat bomb of a Scotch, I have a bottle (I think a Liter) of the Ugedail or some fancy stuff like that
    2:Dalmore Grand Reserva (60$ a bottle round here) called the "Cigar Scotch" by good ol' Vinny he posts here but I can never remember his screen name
    3: a fantastic Lowlands Scotch is Auchentoshan, helluva nae and was probably piss drunk when he thought of it. Their 10 year is fantastic, but good GOD! the 24 year that they make (also good luck finding is mind boggeling fantastic
    4: this one is more on my "want to try" list and it is Talisker: according to the box they are the only legal distillery on the Ilse of Skye, that alone should make it unique.

Lastly a good friend said it's about finding what makes your tongue dance when you enjoy scotch, or something of that nature
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Hayblet:
    4: this one is more on my "want to try" list and it is Talisker: according to the box they are the only legal distillery on the Ilse of Skye, that alone should make it unique.
    I can tell you from personal experience that Talisker (10 yr) was one of the most unique scotch experiences in my short legal drinking career. Simply delicious, a bit pricey but worth it in my book.
  • Options
    As I am writing this I'm sipping a few fingers of Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood, drop what you're doing and go get a bottle! This scotch is superb!
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99:
    As I am writing this I'm sipping a few fingers of Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood, drop what you're doing and go get a bottle! This scotch is superb!
    If I only had the money Jarret :P
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    illinoisgolf99:
    If I only had the money Jarret :P
    I hear you man, I was fortunate enough to have this bottle gifted to me from a family friend who I did some landscape work for. He, too is a fellow scotch enthusiast, and he's got an INSANE selection of LE scotches.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Having some Aberlour 12 with a PSP2 right now. Such a great pairing.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big Islay region drinker. Ardbeg is my personal favorite. I drink a bit of other Scotch from other regions but when I buy a bottle, its Ardbeg. Some Ardbeg lines to try are the Ten yr which is a good entry level Islay. Also try the Corryvreckan and Uiegedail from Ardbeg. Very complex. Far more so than most Highland malts which is why I enjoy it. Lapbroiag is also really great. I like the Quarter Cask myself. As for other makers, Highland Park is good. Glenmorangie (who owns Ardbeg) is really great and they have a few different lines. I personally don't like most scotch that is finished in a sherry cask but that's just me. Balvenie Portwood and Doublewood are really good as is the Caribbean cask but its so sweet and rum-like that it's in it's own league. Longrow is a Campbeltown malt and its kinda a cross between a highland and islay malt. Talisker is from the Isle of Skye and it is also like an Islay malt. Lagavulin is also a "must try" and worth every penny. The reason Islay malts are so peaty is because they burn peat bricks to dry the grains used for the malt and it imparts the peat flavor. I'm a big peat and salt-air fan so for me, its Islay all the way.
  • Options
    Hello everyone. I am looking for some help from some experienced scotch drinkers. I am looking to find a bottle that has peat and smoke but no medicinal flavor. Up to this point I have only tried a couple single malts and I love the smoke flavor but all have had medicinal in it and I cant stand that taste. Does anyone know of a peaty , smoky scotch with no medicinal taste? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    I'm a big Islay region drinker. Ardbeg is my personal favorite. I drink a bit of other Scotch from other regions but when I buy a bottle, its Ardbeg. Some Ardbeg lines to try are the Ten yr which is a good entry level Islay. Also try the Corryvreckan and Uiegedail from Ardbeg. Very complex. Far more so than most Highland malts which is why I enjoy it. Lapbroiag is also really great. I like the Quarter Cask myself. As for other makers, Highland Park is good. Glenmorangie (who owns Ardbeg) is really great and they have a few different lines. I personally don't like most scotch that is finished in a sherry cask but that's just me. Balvenie Portwood and Doublewood are really good as is the Caribbean cask but its so sweet and rum-like that it's in it's own league. Longrow is a Campbeltown malt and its kinda a cross between a highland and islay malt. Talisker is from the Isle of Skye and it is also like an Islay malt. Lagavulin is also a "must try" and worth every penny. The reason Islay malts are so peaty is because they burn peat bricks to dry the grains used for the malt and it imparts the peat flavor. I'm a big peat and salt-air fan so for me, its Islay all the way.
    I'm a big Highland Park fan. How would you compare it to the Ardbeg and the Glenmorainge?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Tuna Tar Tar:
    Hello everyone. I am looking for some help from some experienced scotch drinkers. I am looking to find a bottle that has peat and smoke but no medicinal flavor. Up to this point I have only tried a couple single malts and I love the smoke flavor but all have had medicinal in it and I cant stand that taste. Does anyone know of a peaty , smoky scotch with no medicinal taste? Thanks in advance.
    Lagavulin.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Tuna Tar Tar:
    Lagavulin, Ardbeg Corryvreckan, Ardbeg Uiegedail, Laphroiag quarter cask.
  • Options
    JDH:
    dennisking:
    I'm a big Highland Park fan. How would you compare it to the Ardbeg and the Glenmorainge?
    Highland is smoother and mellower like the Glenmorangie. Those two are very solar. The Ardbeg Ten is smooth and mellow like the Highland and Glen but more peaty because it's an Islay malt. The higher end Ardbeg is way way complex in comparison.
  • Options
    man I love the Ardbeg Uiegedail I do get 3 weeks paid vacation in less than a week, gonna start cashing em in one at a time and SO DO PLAN on a scotch purchase, just not sure what.
  • Options
    something else, I've seen this um... aerator thing that Total Wine's markets for scotch to "taste what you've been missing" anyone use one of those?
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    something else, I've seen this um... aerator thing that Total Wine's markets for scotch to "taste what you've been missing" anyone use one of those?
    Spencer, I have one but haven't had extensive use of it (Vinturi Aerator for Spirits) but IIRC it does make them smoother and seemed to draw out more flavors. On a side note, I use the Vinturi Aerator for red wines and there is really a noticeable difference. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Posted up a possible pass involving liquor in the trading thread if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    Hayblet:
    Spencer, I have one but haven't had extensive use of it (Vinturi Aerator for Spirits) but IIRC it does make them smoother and seemed to draw out more flavors. On a side note, I use the Vinturi Aerator for red wines and there is really a noticeable difference. Hope this helps.
    I have one for red wines as well, just kinda wondered if there is any difference
  • Options
    My first non Jamisons Scotch/Whisk(e)y bottle:

imageimage
  • Options
    I just started getting into Scotch at the end of 2011. So far my favorite affordable scotch is probably Glenlivet 12 (a little under $25/bottle at costco). I bought 2 bottles of Oban 14 and 1 bottle of Lagavulin 16 at costco when they were on sale last December, and I prefer the Oban. It'll take time for me to acquire the peaty taste that Lagavulin has.

If you have a costco near you, I'd highly recommend checking them out. Last time I was there, Oban/Lagavulin were on sale again (much cheaper than Bevmo). They also had Glenmorangie 10 in the huge 1.75 bottle for about $46.

I'd also recommend checking out 'Raise The Macallan'. It's a free tasting that Macallan hosts. I went to it in SF a few months ago and it was nice. I was surprised that the 10 year was so good, as I always though 12 year is the cut-off between drinkable and not.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    JDH:
    dennisking:
    Highland is smoother and mellower like the Glenmorangie. Those two are very solar. The Ardbeg Ten is smooth and mellow like the Highland and Glen but more peaty because it's an Islay malt. The higher end Ardbeg is way way complex in comparison.
    Thanks for the tip Dennis. I poured from my new bottle of the Glenmorainge 10 year last night, and really enjoyed it. I think for the time being, I'll stick to the highland malts, and gradually work myself into some of the more "peaty" whiskies.
  • Options
    Nice pick up Bandy. Let me know what you think of that. And pm me your info when you get a chance.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Nice pick up Bandy. Let me know what you think of that. And pm me your info when you get a chance.
    Rob, had some last night and it seemed a little "hot" if that makes scense. I had a 1 ounce pour with 1 ML of cold spring water added put through the Vinturi Aerator. It seemed to soften it and really took a decent bite out of the bite. Other than that I couldn't tell much. As I was talking to Joe last night about it I came to the conclusion that both whisket and rum have not been too kind to my palate lately, maybe it is becuase I haven't been drinking enough of it lately? I noticed a little vanilla, floral flavor and peat on the back end. The peat wasn't too bad, I likened it to a less hoppy IPA.