Scotch??

Comments

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Trident:
    There is a new supernova coming out?
    I assume he means the 2010 release, which was the second (and reportedly better) release?

Trident:
    we have a scotch and cigar club and meet every two weeks or so. everyone pitches in $20 and with that money we get scotch. everyone brings their own cigars. it works really well. We have about 20 bottles of scotch to the club name including all different regions and flavor profiles. mostly single malts, except for the JW flight we have, red, black, double black, green, gold and blue. Its good times.
    Now that you have a decent collection, have you guys considered saving the cash for a few months and buying some of the spendier limited releases? Seems like a great way to try that $1000 bottle.
    Please excuse me for butting in ... this is a great conversation, but I just have to ask...Is there really ANY whiskey in the world that's worth $1000 for a single bottle?
    Dalmore is releasing a new line of 21 whiskys with entry level being ~$3200, and the top bottle ~$32,000. They expect to ship 20,000 bottles over 5 years... and probably sell out in about the same time. So, I would say yes, there are bottles that people with pay that much for, so there are bottles "worth" it. As for me, I have paid a lot for a bottle of whisky, and enjoyed it, I have paid a little for a bottle of whisky, and enjoyed it. At the end of the day, it is a luxury good. There $1k+ bottles I would love to try (hell, $5k+), and in my opinion, if you have the opportunity to try it through pooling money, why not? That said, you will rarely see me drop more than 70 bucks on a bottle. I can find other things to do with my money. :P
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Trident:
    I assume he means the 2010 release, which was the second (and reportedly better) release?

Trident:
    we have a scotch and cigar club and meet every two weeks or so. everyone pitches in $20 and with that money we get scotch. everyone brings their own cigars. it works really well. We have about 20 bottles of scotch to the club name including all different regions and flavor profiles. mostly single malts, except for the JW flight we have, red, black, double black, green, gold and blue. Its good times.
    Now that you have a decent collection, have you guys considered saving the cash for a few months and buying some of the spendier limited releases? Seems like a great way to try that $1000 bottle.
    Please excuse me for butting in ... this is a great conversation, but I just have to ask...Is there really ANY whiskey in the world that's worth $1000 for a single bottle?
    Dalmore is releasing a new line of 21 whiskys with entry level being ~$3200, and the top bottle ~$32,000. They expect to ship 20,000 bottles over 5 years... and probably sell out in about the same time. So, I would say yes, there are bottles that people with pay that much for, so there are bottles "worth" it. As for me, I have paid a lot for a bottle of whisky, and enjoyed it, I have paid a little for a bottle of whisky, and enjoyed it. At the end of the day, it is a luxury good. There $1k+ bottles I would love to try (hell, $5k+), and in my opinion, if you have the opportunity to try it through pooling money, why not? That said, you will rarely see me drop more than 70 bucks on a bottle. I can find other things to do with my money. :P
    Thank you. It's hard for me to "get" those numbers, but then again, I don't have a 72' yacht in the Mediterrainean either. Please continue.....
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Trident:

Trident:
    Thank you. It's hard for me to "get" those numbers, but then again, I don't have a 72' yacht in the Mediterrainean either. Please continue.....
    Believe me, I don't like the high numbers either. I wish I had money to afford these things. :P

One other thing to remember, that I forgot about driving up costs is aging. You make some white dog, all fine and good. But you have to cask it and age it for years to get it good and mellow. Each year ~2% evaporates, poof, gone. That whole time you are paying staff, and equipment, and housing, and insurance... and you haven't even sold a bottle yet. What happens if out of your 1000 casks housed for 30 years, only 15 are good enough, or have the right flavor profile to make that super premium you want to make? What if 200 are so bad as to be completly unusable? Lots of stuff goes into driving these prices skyward. Upside is we are at the top of a "whisky bubble" again, expect prices to drop hard in the next 5 years.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    Trident:

Trident:
    Believe me, I don't like the high numbers either. I wish I had money to afford these things. :P

One other thing to remember, that I forgot about driving up costs is aging. You make some white dog, all fine and good. But you have to cask it and age it for years to get it good and mellow. Each year ~2% evaporates, poof, gone. That whole time you are paying staff, and equipment, and housing, and insurance... and you haven't even sold a bottle yet. What happens if out of your 1000 casks housed for 30 years, only 15 are good enough, or have the right flavor profile to make that super premium you want to make? What if 200 are so bad as to be completly unusable? Lots of stuff goes into driving these prices skyward. Upside is we are at the top of a "whisky bubble" again, expect prices to drop hard in the next 5 years.
    Now THAT is good news...what would you say is the best mid-priced ($40 - $80, though some may consider this to be "cheap" whiskey) Dalmore or Ardbeg, and what are some of the bottles these guys with the Scotch & Cigars club could be lookin at??
  • Options
    JDH:
    Now THAT is good news...what would you say is the best mid-priced ($40 - $80) Dalmore or Ardbeg, and what are some of the bottles these guys with the Scotch & Cigars club could be lookin at??
    Of those two only? Ardbeg, no question in my mind. Dalmore is a lot of hype with little payoff, still a good whisky, but not nearly as good as those at the same price point. But I thought you said you didn't care for peat. In which case I would put Balvenie and the Macallan up pretty high too.

As far as great bottles to pool money for,

Ones I have tried and know are good: GlenDronach Grandeur 31 year old, Bruichladdich Legacy 34 year, and Auchentoshan bourbon (can't remember the year on this).

Ones I would love to try if I could: Glenlivet Cellar Collection any year, Some of the super rareold Macallans.

Money no object, would love to try: That new Bowmore...42? 46? which ever one everyone is raving about but costs ~14k.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Now THAT is good news...what would you say is the best mid-priced ($40 - $80) Dalmore or Ardbeg, and what are some of the bottles these guys with the Scotch & Cigars club could be lookin at??
    Of those two only? Ardbeg, no question in my mind. Dalmore is a lot of hype with little payoff, still a good whisky, but not nearly as good as those at the same price point. But I thought you said you didn't care for peat. In which case I would put Balvenie and the Macallan up pretty high too.

As far as great bottles to pool money for,

Ones I have tried and know are good: GlenDronach Grandeur 31 year old, Bruichladdich Legacy 34 year, and Auchentoshan bourbon (can't remember the year on this).

Ones I would love to try if I could: Glenlivet Cellar Collection any year, Some of the super rareold Macallans.

Money no object, would love to try: That new Bowmore...42? 46? which ever one everyone is raving about but costs ~14k.
    Oh, oh....and some of the rare Gordon and MacPhail stuff. What I have had has been great, and I want to try more...
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    man what Gordon and MacPhail stuff I've seen I'd need a tax check to buy lol, still tho one day I'll drop the coin n get some, also on the "is it worth x number of dollars for said scotch" My step-dad as a wedding present got a bottle of Auchentoshan 21 year (I want to say might be 24) and paid close to 500 for ir, it's damn tasty, but I'm not so sure I would spend that much? Even if it lasted a while it's hard to justify that much money for a bottle of liquid... also when did Tequila become as expensive as Scotch? ffs also I saw a $600 bottle of Gin! Immediate thought was "that better be the best **** Gin in the world for that price" Cognac is just as bad too, but I don't care for that crap
  • Options
    OK then, Balvenie and the Macallan are next on my list. Many thanks.
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    I just picked up a bottle of Balvenie 12 year this afternoon and can't wait to tear the cap of that bad boy.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    I just picked up a bottle of Balvenie 12 year this afternoon and can't wait to tear the cap of that bad boy.
    Cool......let me know what you think of it, OK?
  • Options
    Bombay:
    Did you try the 12 doublewood or the 12 signature?
  • Options
    It will be the 12 year doublewood, I picked up. Unfortunately it was not to be enjoyed this weekend but may get into it this week. Before I get the what the hell are you waiting for reply I am training for a tough mudder and try to only drink on the weekends.Will let you guys know for sure after I crack the bottle open.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    It will be the 12 year doublewood, I picked up. Unfortunately it was not to be enjoyed this weekend but may get into it this week. Before I get the what the hell are you waiting for reply I am training for a tough mudder and try to only drink on the weekends.Will let you guys know for sure after I crack the bottle open.
    The doublewood is excellent. It has a bit more sweetness than most Scotches.
  • Options
    You know I was reading the brochoure they send with the bottle and that was caught my attention, they liken it to a honey taste which I am excited experience as I have had some very peaty Scotchs and can definitely say that end of the spectrum isn't my thing, well isn't my thing right now anyway.
  • Options
    There's no hurry, the weekend is just around the corner, and even if you don't get to it this weekend, I'll bet you'll do it the following. Good things should rarely be rushed.
  • Options
    JDH:
    There's no hurry, the weekend is just around the corner, and even if you don't get to it this weekend, I'll bet you'll do it the following. Good things should rarely be rushed.
    This is not acceptable. Drink your whisky now. NOW. If the world ends tomorrow, and you still have good whisky on your shelf...how sill would you feel. :P
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    This is not acceptable. Drink your whisky now. NOW. If the world ends tomorrow, and you still have good whisky on your shelf...how sill would you feel. :P
    You mean I gotta finish off that half empty bottle of 23 year old Pappys I hoard for really special occasions? Lordy Lordy. I s'pose I should also burn up my best cigar with it just because it's Tuesday? OY!
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    You mean I gotta finish off that half empty bottle of 23 year old Pappys I hoard for really special occasions? Lordy Lordy. I s'pose I should also burn up my best cigar with it just because it's Tuesday? OY!
    Yes.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Yes.
    OK, I tried...I really did, but when I reached for the Pappys, I started sweating, so it went back in the cabinet and I setttled for some Highland Park. I did manage to burn up a 4 year old My Father, so I 'll call it a compromise, sort of.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Yes.
    OK, I tried...I really did, but when I reached for the Pappys, I started sweating, so it went back in the cabinet and I setttled for some Highland Park. I did manage to burn up a 4 year old My Father, so I 'll call it a compromise, sort of.
    Very good. You are learning. Dumb question for you, but you said it was a half bottle of Pappy? How long has it been open, and have you filled it with any inert gas? Because with that much air space your whiskey is just oxidizing and going bad.... You won't notice it if it is only a couple months, but it will start losing flavor if it is getting exposed to that much oxygen. In a year or two, it won't be the same whiskey, and not in a good way.
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    Going to be doing my first scotch review tomorrow night. This will hopefully be a regular thing. Will provide the link once it is posted. I have a feeling we are starting with the Ardbeg Galileo. So that in itself makes me excited!
  • Options
    Trident:
    Going to be doing my first scotch review tomorrow night. This will hopefully be a regular thing. Will provide the link once it is posted. I have a feeling we are starting with the Ardbeg Galileo. So that in itself makes me excited!
    Now we are talking. Looking forward to the review.
  • Options
    Bombay:
    Trident:
    Now we are talking. Looking forward to the review.
    Indeed. I will look forward to reading it. Especially if you start with the Galileo

It's funny because the wife and I were talking last night about doing a weekly liquor review. Must be the cooler weather...
  • Options
    one of my friends who runs a cigar review website asked me if i would do scotch reviews for his website...the hardest part is being limited by budget...otherwise i would review daily!
  • Options
    Trident:
    one of my friends who runs a cigar review website asked me if i would do scotch reviews for his website...the hardest part is being limited by budget...otherwise i would review daily!
    If you are ever looking for something, shoot me a PM. I know how to UPS a flask. Though my collection veers more towards bourbon.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Trident:
    If you are ever looking for something, shoot me a PM. I know how to UPS a flask. Though my collection veers more towards bourbon.
    I may take you up on that. I have 20 bottles from our club to review, so i have a good start point.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Yes.
    Very good. You are learning. Dumb question for you, but you said it was a half bottle of Pappy? How long has it been open, and have you filled it with any inert gas? Because with that much air space your whiskey is just oxidizing and going bad.... You won't notice it if it is only a couple months, but it will start losing flavor if it is getting exposed to that much oxygen. In a year or two, it won't be the same whiskey, and not in a good way.
    It's been open for about 9 months, no inert gas.....I will just have to swill it down, I guess.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Yes.
    It's been open for about 9 months, no inert gas.....I will just have to swill it down, I guess.
    You can also just get a bottle of this. Only a few bucks, can be use 50 or more times, and is great for saving those bottles youu don't get to very often. I am too much of drunk to need it... but my friends that use it swear by it.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Trident:
    Hey buddy wanna trade some sticks for some scotch? :D
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    Yes.
    You can also just get a bottle of this. Only a few bucks, can be use 50 or more times, and is great for saving those bottles youu don't get to very often. I am too much of drunk to need it... but my friends that use it swear by it.
    This really got my curiosity up, and I did some poking around on the net, & found fairly universal consensus with your oxidizing theory. Looks like you're right again.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2011/03/whiskey-wednesday-whiskey-age-and.html

Instead of the product from Amazon you suggested, I think I'll just put the Pappys in smaller bottles and stick a cork in it, and keep it in the cabinet, that ought to work and I've already got the bottles (cause I also make beer). Thanks for the heads up.