Scotch??

Comments

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    They are all pretty to very peaty, with their special lines usually more so, with an underlying sweetness, either malt or fruit. Most have a smokey finish, with I guess I would say leather or dark chocolate hints. I find them all to have a pretty chewy mouthfeel. They almost all nose strong, and need a bit of water and a bit of time to breathe before you drink, as they all sit at higher proofs. Beist is 92 and Corry is like 110? 114? something like that. Otherwise, each of the No Age Statement releases being unique to itself.

Long story short, excellent whisky, but not easy to describe their whole line. Get a bottle of their 10 year as a base of comparison, then try what you find. The only thing I haven't liked was their original Supernova release, though I hear the second release was better.
    Sounds interesting, except I haven't quite fully developed an appreciation for the "peat". It really is an acquired taste. My experience with Scotch is that, if you are going to drink it, you should be prepared to buy good (usually expensive) whiskey, because bad Scotch is a lot worse than bad Bourbon, but good Scotch is a lot better than good Bourbon, IMO.
    I would agree to a point. There is a lot more good stuff in the lower price points for bourbon than scotch, and bottom prices are lower too. Evan Williams jumps to mind, as does Buffalo Trace. But there are good values in Scotch too, especially if you are just looking for your 'table whisky', such as Monkey Shoulder, Auchentoshan Classic, and Aberfeldy 12. The new Johnnie Walker double black is pretty tasty, but a little higher on the price chart.
    Haven't had any of those you mention - usually when I buy Scotch, it's Highland Park or Glenmorainge, $40 -$50 per bottle - maybe I ought to do a little more sippin and tastin!
    I've been eye'n a Glenmorainge at my local booze shop for some time, tho I did get news about my mom finally shipping my Ardbeg ueigdal or whatever tongue twisting word it is
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Hayblet:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    They are all pretty to very peaty, with their special lines usually more so, with an underlying sweetness, either malt or fruit. Most have a smokey finish, with I guess I would say leather or dark chocolate hints. I find them all to have a pretty chewy mouthfeel. They almost all nose strong, and need a bit of water and a bit of time to breathe before you drink, as they all sit at higher proofs. Beist is 92 and Corry is like 110? 114? something like that. Otherwise, each of the No Age Statement releases being unique to itself.

Long story short, excellent whisky, but not easy to describe their whole line. Get a bottle of their 10 year as a base of comparison, then try what you find. The only thing I haven't liked was their original Supernova release, though I hear the second release was better.
    Sounds interesting, except I haven't quite fully developed an appreciation for the "peat". It really is an acquired taste. My experience with Scotch is that, if you are going to drink it, you should be prepared to buy good (usually expensive) whiskey, because bad Scotch is a lot worse than bad Bourbon, but good Scotch is a lot better than good Bourbon, IMO.
    I would agree to a point. There is a lot more good stuff in the lower price points for bourbon than scotch, and bottom prices are lower too. Evan Williams jumps to mind, as does Buffalo Trace. But there are good values in Scotch too, especially if you are just looking for your 'table whisky', such as Monkey Shoulder, Auchentoshan Classic, and Aberfeldy 12. The new Johnnie Walker double black is pretty tasty, but a little higher on the price chart.
    Haven't had any of those you mention - usually when I buy Scotch, it's Highland Park or Glenmorainge, $40 -$50 per bottle - maybe I ought to do a little more sippin and tastin!
    I've been eye'n a Glenmorainge at my local booze shop for some time, tho I did get news about my mom finally shipping my Ardbeg ueigdal or whatever tongue twisting word it is
    I didn't know that Glenmorainge is the top selling whiskey in Scotland, but according to one reviewer, it is. Here are a few reviews of the Glenmorainge 10:

http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/whisky-reviews/scotch-whisky/glenmorangie-the-original-10-year-old/

http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2011/07/glenmorangie-10-year-old-single-malt-scotch-review/

http://whiskyaddict.com/?p=17
  • Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    If you haven't tried Glenmorangie 10, do it now. One of the best Highland malts for the price IMO. Only thing I wish is they didn't chill filter.... and maybe did a release with a higher ABV. They were/are talking about moving away from artificial caramel coloring last I heard, which is something worth supporting too. Either way, great whisky, good buy.

Oh yeah, Glenmorangie owns Ardbeg too, so you are keeping the money in the family, so to speak...
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    If you haven't tried Glenmorangie 10, do it now. One of the best Highland malts for the price IMO. Only thing I wish is they didn't chill filter.... and maybe did a release with a higher ABV. They were/are talking about moving away from artificial caramel coloring last I heard, which is something worth supporting too. Either way, great whisky, good buy.

Oh yeah, Glenmorangie owns Ardbeg too, so you are keeping the money in the family, so to speak...
    When I buy scotch, it's usually either Glenmorainge 10 or Highland Park, (can't afford the 18 year, but lordy, that's good whiskey) but I'm thinking I ought to broaden my Scotch palate. BTW...what's up with this?: "... They were/are talking about moving away from artificial caramel coloring last I heard, ...", and what is ABV?
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

When I buy scotch, it's usually either Glenmorainge 10 or Highland Park, (can't afford the 18 year, but lordy, that's good whiskey) but I'm thinking I ought to broaden my Scotch palate. BTW...what's up with this?: "... They were/are talking about moving away from artificial caramel coloring last I heard, ...", and what is ABV?
    ABV= Alcohol By Volume. And many distilleries add artificial coloring to their whiskys so they all come out that deep cararmel brown you are used to seeing. Bourbon is about this color (they use coloring too) because it is aged in first fill charred casks, so there are a lot of sugars and color to pull, whereas Scotch is mostly aged in already used bourbon casks, with most of the deep colors leeched out. Scotch in its natural state looks more of a pale yellow, which is then artificially darkened to meet with peoples' expectations. The other driving force is uniformity and consistancy. Due to the nature of using natural materials, every barrel of whisky will taste and color differently. Master Blenders are the people that taste and blend these barrels so that every bottle of Glenmorangie 10 tastes the same, not matter the year you buy it. (This is also why special releases can vary so wildly by year, they are blended to be the 'best' of any year or only come from a much smaller selection of casks, or even a single cask). With all this blending, one year may come out looking like apple juice and the next year like Mountain Dew, yet with the same tastes. Color is added in to reassure the customer.

Now, for why I don't like added color. Some argue it changes the flavor profile, some are worried about the added chemicals. As for me, I don't like paying for something that adds nothing to the beverage and stifles possible improvements to the line for the sake of pretty looking pour.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

ABV= Alcohol By Volume. And many distilleries add artificial coloring to their whiskys so they all come out that deep cararmel brown you are used to seeing. Bourbon is about this color (they use coloring too) because it is aged in first fill charred casks, so there are a lot of sugars and color to pull, whereas Scotch is mostly aged in already used bourbon casks, with most of the deep colors leeched out. Scotch in its natural state looks more of a pale yellow, which is then artificially darkened to meet with peoples' expectations. The other driving force is uniformity and consistancy. Due to the nature of using natural materials, every barrel of whisky will taste and color differently. Master Blenders are the people that taste and blend these barrels so that every bottle of Glenmorangie 10 tastes the same, not matter the year you buy it. (This is also why special releases can vary so wildly by year, they are blended to be the 'best' of any year or only come from a much smaller selection of casks, or even a single cask). With all this blending, one year may come out looking like apple juice and the next year like Mountain Dew, yet with the same tastes. Color is added in to reassure the customer.

Now, for why I don't like added color. Some argue it changes the flavor profile, some are worried about the added chemicals. As for me, I don't like paying for something that adds nothing to the beverage and stifles possible improvements to the line for the sake of pretty looking pour.
    "...ABV= Alcohol By Volume. ..." DUH. Sometimes I'd loose a race with a rock.

Very interesting. I did not know that - about the coloring. I've been on tours of every distilery in Kentucky, and have never heard that. They always attribute the color of the bourbon to the seasonal changes in temperatures which allow the whiskey to travel into and out of the charred oak barrels, Even the charring has specific degrees of burn.

I wondered about this when we were in Ireland, and I noticed that nearly all the Irish whiskey I had was a very pale tan. "...As for me, I don't like paying for something that adds nothing to the beverage and stifles possible improvements to the line for the sake of pretty looking pour. ..." I'm with you on this one 100%. Thanks for the info!

BTW, I had a My Father LeBijou this evening with some Highland Park. Very nice combo. The cigar almost overpowered the whiskey, but not quite. I'll have to do that again.
  • Options
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

Very interesting. I did not know that - about the coloring. I've been on tours of every distilery in Kentucky, and have never heard that. They always attribute the color of the bourbon to the seasonal changes in temperatures which allow the whiskey to travel into and out of the charred oak barrels, Even the charring has specific degrees of burn.

I wondered about this when we were in Ireland, and I noticed that nearly all the Irish whiskey I had was a very pale tan. "...As for me, I don't like paying for something that adds nothing to the beverage and stifles possible improvements to the line for the sake of pretty looking pour. ..." I'm with you on this one 100%. Thanks for the info!

BTW, I had a My Father LeBijou this evening with some Highland Park. Very nice combo. The cigar almost overpowered the whiskey, but not quite. I'll have to do that again.
    Yeah the heat cycles give it the color, but a lot can come from other factors too... how much the barrels move is another. For example, Jefferson just released a batch of ocean aged bourbon. Compare the released product to what was in the sample bottles, and see how they play with color.

Released
    Sample (The middle one)
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:
    JDH:
    jthanatos:

Yeah the heat cycles give it the color, but a lot can come from other factors too... how much the barrels move is another. For example, Jefferson just released a batch of ocean aged bourbon. Compare the released product to what was in the sample bottles, and see how they play with color.

Released
    Sample (The middle one)
    WOW! Have you sampled some of this Jefferson's? What is the whiskey in the middle? It that an offering straight out of the barrel? I haven't seen a bourbon that dark before. I have had several bottles of Jefferson's Reserve, and THAT, my friend is why they make Bourbon. I may have to go find a bottle of this stuff, unless, of course, it's priced in the stratosphere.
  • Options
    Price point is around $90, and the sampler in the middle is from the cask, I believe. Long story short, the filled casks, stuck them in the bottom of a cargo ship for 4 years and let it age. Haven't tried it myself, seemed a bit gimmicky. But, yes, Jefferson makes a damn good bourbon, their 18 presidential single barrel is darn near perfect. If you ever stumble up to Bardstown, go the the whiskey center there and try to scout a bottle of Elijah Craig 20 single barrel. Still hands down my favorite bourbon.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Price point is around $90, and the sampler in the middle is from the cask, I believe. Long story short, the filled casks, stuck them in the bottom of a cargo ship for 4 years and let it age. Haven't tried it myself, seemed a bit gimmicky. But, yes, Jefferson makes a damn good bourbon, their 18 presidential single barrel is darn near perfect. If you ever stumble up to Bardstown, go the the whiskey center there and try to scout a bottle of Elijah Craig 20 single barrel. Still hands down my favorite bourbon.
    I was in Bardstown last weekend (it's only about 40 miles away) with some friends, and was hoping to get a bottle of the 18 year Elijah Craig, but they told me I have to wait another 4 years. They had the 20, but I let it pass, ( 'cause I'm just too damn cheap) and settled for the 12 year. You're spot on about that 18 year Presidential single barrel, I've had it and I still remember how good it was.

If you're ever in Kentucky to do a distillery tour, and you only have time for one, I'd choose Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. Their tour is the most informative, and the most fun,I think.
  • Options
    I know it's not Scotch, but...

Just tried Heaven Hill's new Larceny bourbon. Not bad at all for a value priced bourbon, and has a great story to go with it, for BSing with your drinking buddies.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    I know it's not Scotch, but...

Just tried Heaven Hill's new Larceny bourbon. Not bad at all for a value priced bourbon, and has a great story to go with it, for BSing with your drinking buddies.
    It's a wheated bourbon, in the "Pappy" tradition - a true "small batch, botique" bourbon.

Here's a description of the tale behind it:

http://www.bourboncountry.com/news/heaven-hill-launches-new-bourbon/

"...Larceny Bourbon continues the Old Fitzgerald tradition of using wheat in place of rye as the third or “small” grain in the whiskey’s grain recipe, or mashbill as it is commonly known. The use of winter wheat replaces the spicier, fruitier flavor notes that rye provides with a softer, rounder character that is the hallmark of Old Fitzgerald and other “wheated” Bourbons such as Maker’s Mark and the Van Winkle line.

It is actually the story of the Old Fitzgerald brand, made famous by the late Julian “Pappy” Van Winkle Sr., that forms the historical basis for Larceny Bourbon. According to industry lore, John E. Fitzgerald had founded his distillery in Frankfort , KY shortly after the Civil War ended, making his Bourbon available only to steamship lines, rail lines and private clubs. This story was furthered by S.C Herbst, who owned the “Old Fitz” brand from the 1880’s through Prohibition, and “Pappy” Van Winkle, who purchased the brand during Prohibition and made it his signature label. However, it was revealed by Pappy’s granddaughter, Sally Van Winkle Campbell, in her 1999 book But Always Fine Bourbon—Pappy Van Winkle and the Story of Old Fitzgerald, that in fact John E. Fitzgerald was not a famous distiller at all. He was in reality a treasury agent who used his keys to the warehouses to pilfer Bourbon from the finest barrels. His discerning palate led those barrels to which he chose to help himself being referred to as “Fitzgerald barrels”.

Now Heaven Hill has launched Larceny, whose tagline—“A taste made famous by an infamous act”—sets history straight.

For 2012, Larceny will be available in the 1.75 liter, 1 liter, 750ml and 50ml sizes in California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, New York, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. At an average national retail price of $24.99 for the 750ml size, Larceny is a true small batch Bourbon produced from dumps of 100 or fewer barrels that have been selected from the 4th, 5th and 6th floors of Heaven Hill’s open rick warehouses in Nelson County, Kentucky. Larceny is drawn from barrels that have aged from 6 to 12 years at this high storage, and is bottled at a full-bodied 92 proof, or 46% alcohol by volume.

All barrels of Larceny, just like all other barrels of Bourbon, rye, wheat and corn whiskey from Heaven Hill, are produced under the skilled hand and watchful eye of 6th and 7th generation father and son Master Distillers Parker and Craig Beam. The last special release of wheated Bourbon from Heaven Hill, the sold out 2010 edition of the ultra-premium Parker’s Heritage Collection, is one of the most highly regarded and sought out bottlings in Heaven Hill’s 75 years of distilling. ..."
  • Options
    Just had a dram of Compass Box Peat Monster. I will be buying a bottle. Very thick/oily mouthfeel, lots of smoke and brine. Finish is smooooooth and warm. Very complex, definitly want a splash or two of water.

On the subject of Compass Box, anyone here from the NYC area? They are releasing an NYC exclusive blend of their King Street in Oct. Be interesing to see how it goes.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I saw this, I was just thinking about grabbing a bottle of something (probably bourbon) for the first time
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    If you want some good bourbon to learn on, Woodford reserve or Basil Hayden's.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    If you want some good bourbon to learn on, Woodford reserve or Basil Hayden's.
    Yessir, that's a fact. The Woodford Reserve is really hard to beat, especially at the price point. I live in Woodford County, and have been to their distillery many times IMO, it's one of the best buys in bourbon on the market.
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:

I just picked up my bottle of ardbeg galileo. Excited to open that one up.
  • Options
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

How 'bout a review when you've had a few drams?
  • Options
    sounds good. i'm kind of busy at work, so it may take me a week or so to get it up. But will do it.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its gonna be woodford for me then. I've seen it mentioned quite a few times. So, if I don't like that, theni guess I'm probably not much of a Bourbon person! Thanks, guys.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    JDH:
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

How 'bout a review when you've had a few drams?
    I will be excited to hear on this too.
  • Options
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

I'd love to find the new Supernova or the Galileo
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

Galileo just dropped in stores the start of this month. It's also available online in prices in line with other Ardbeg releases.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Hayblet:
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

Galileo just dropped in stores the start of this month. It's also available online in prices in line with other Ardbeg releases.
    time to live off Ramen for a few weeks lol
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    jthanatos:
    Hayblet:
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

I am blessed with a wife who appreciates a good whisky, makes things easier. :P
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

There is a new supernova coming out?
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Hayblet:
    jthanatos:
    Hayblet:
    Trident:
    jthanatos:

I am blessed with a wife who appreciates a good whisky, makes things easier. :P
    we have a scotch and cigar club and meet every two weeks or so. everyone pitches in $20 and with that money we get scotch. everyone brings their own cigars. it works really well. We have about 20 bottles of scotch to the club name including all different regions and flavor profiles. mostly single malts, except for the JW flight we have, red, black, double black, green, gold and blue. Its good times.
  • Options
    Trident:
    I assume he means the 2010 release, which was the second (and reportedly better) release?

Trident:
    we have a scotch and cigar club and meet every two weeks or so. everyone pitches in $20 and with that money we get scotch. everyone brings their own cigars. it works really well. We have about 20 bottles of scotch to the club name including all different regions and flavor profiles. mostly single malts, except for the JW flight we have, red, black, double black, green, gold and blue. Its good times.
    Now that you have a decent collection, have you guys considered saving the cash for a few months and buying some of the spendier limited releases? Seems like a great way to try that $1000 bottle.
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Trident:
    I assume he means the 2010 release, which was the second (and reportedly better) release?

Trident:
    Now that you have a decent collection, have you guys considered saving the cash for a few months and buying some of the spendier limited releases? Seems like a great way to try that $1000 bottle.

We have saved some cash over a few meetings, which allowed us to buy the JW flight etc. We havent really talked about it, but as we save, we need to make sure we are replenishing what we enjoy, or at least the ones we reall enjoy.
    Just replenished the Laphroaig cask strength. I am looking for a bottle of supernova or Nam Beiast, roller coaster, or Day. of course, for reasonable prices. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    jthanatos:
    Trident:

Trident:
    Please excuse me for butting in ... this is a great conversation, but I just have to ask...Is there really ANY whiskey in the world that's worth $1000 for a single bottle?