Home Non Cigar Related

I hate remodeling. Post remodel stuff here

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paint is all cleaned up, much better. Thank you Peter, “even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in while”.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.

@ShawnOL said:
    Those grout lines don't match up.

The tile came with the house, I agree. When I eventually gut my basement and redo everything it won’t look like this.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patrick!

• TRayBTRayB Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

@Patrickbrick , looking nice! You can't do much about the gaps at the top of the trim and the wall with carpentry, but you can fill the gap with a paintable latex caulk. Have a moderately wet rag and some paper towels ready. As soon as you run a bead of caulk in the gap, wet your finger with the rag, and drag it along the caulk bead. Wipe the excess caulk on a paper towel. Repeat until finished, then paint if you want to, although white caulk may be close enough to the paint color.

I appreciate the tip. I know how to actually fix it by bending and strip cut bending as well as caulking, but why. My work is showcasing someone else’s bad work.

MOW badge received.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0patience said:
    Damn, I ain't posting none of my work. 🤣🤣
    Too many x-spurts. I'm just a poor amateur trying make things work and make the boss lady happy. 🤣🤣

C'mon Tony, show us your work. You did some amazing things up in Oregon.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for some expert opinions.

Y'alls, not mine.

A few months back, I replaced my water heater with one supplied under warranty. Same water heater, that left 5 months on the warranty.

You guessed it, it's failing and the warranty just expired.

I'm going to try resealing the relief valve, intake and output pipes, as it is leaking at the top, or seems so. Water rises from around the relief valve as far as I can tell. I'm hoping it was just poorly sealed, and that some plumbers tape will fix it,

but,

If it doesn't, I'm considering a tankless system. So, my question is, anyone here have experience with tankless systems? It will have to be electric, as I do not have gas here and I'm not paying $5,000 to get it. There's just me living here, occasional guest.

I don't run multiple water using appliances at the same time mostly because the gray water line won't handle it, 4" drain line that I've replaced with schedule 40 cpvc to the road, but I'm not going to even try to get under the road, and that's a whole 'nuther story anyway.

I expect I'd need a larger model, as it will be the water heater for the whole house, 2 bedroom bath and a half. Not too big, nothing fancy. I'm also against the idea of running the plumbing necessary for one of those re-circulators, because I barely fit under the house anywhere, and possibly some places not at all. Yes, I'm a fat-ass.

Any thoughts relating to the issue are appreciated.

Thanks.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Time for some expert opinions.

Y'alls, not mine.

A few months back, I replaced my water heater with one supplied under warranty. Same water heater, that left 5 months on the warranty.

You guessed it, it's failing and the warranty just expired.

I'm going to try resealing the relief valve, intake and output pipes, as it is leaking at the top, or seems so. Water rises from around the relief valve as far as I can tell. I'm hoping it was just poorly sealed, and that some plumbers tape will fix it,

but,

If it doesn't, I'm considering a tankless system. So, my question is, anyone here have experience with tankless systems? It will have to be electric, as I do not have gas here and I'm not paying $5,000 to get it. There's just me living here, occasional guest.

I don't run multiple water using appliances at the same time mostly because the gray water line won't handle it, 4" drain line that I've replaced with schedule 40 cpvc to the road, but I'm not going to even try to get under the road, and that's a whole 'nuther story anyway.

I expect I'd need a larger model, as it will be the water heater for the whole house, 2 bedroom bath and a half. Not too big, nothing fancy. I'm also against the idea of running the plumbing necessary for one of those re-circulators, because I barely fit under the house anywhere, and possibly some places not at all. Yes, I'm a fat-ass.

Any thoughts relating to the issue are appreciated.

Thanks.

I couldn't be less of an expert on this. We're talking like Joe Biden in a tongue twister contest levels of expertise, so keep what I say in that context.

I looked into switching to a large tankless system for all of my apartments to run on the same one, but I heard from multiple different people that running a tankless system on well water means it's going to break way more than a tankless water heater on city water, because of all the crap in the water that collects in the system. Maybe someone else who actually knows what they're talking about can chime in on that part of it, because again, I am probably the worst person to ask.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are on a well, then you will need a regulator for the tankless.
    Make sure you read everything about using a tankless on a well, cause they really don't like wells. For some reason, they go hot and cool on and off when trying to take a shower without proper regulators.
    And some tankless, while 220V, have 2 separate 220V elements and may be finicky about running both off of one 220V breaker.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ There we go! Someone who actually knows what they're talking about agrees with what I said. That's my win for the day.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you live in a hard water area expect to have to descale a tankless heater by using a pump in a bucket to run vinegar through with the power off for about an hour each year, otherwise your water pressure will drop until it's completely clogged. Sounds like the well water issue is similar.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    ^^ There we go! Someone who actually knows what they're talking about agrees with what I said. That's my win for the day.

We tried the tankless route and ran into several problems that seemed to cascade problems.
    Regulators, having to run a second 220V wire and breaker, the hot and cold fluctuation and all that.
    The fix would have cost another $600 on top of the heater cost.

But, we did do one for someone that did work well for them.
    But it was a lot of added work.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:

So, it's looking like tankless may not be for me. I've been watching you tube videos etc., and it seems I'd have to run a larger gauge wire, set up a separate box, and yes, well water is hell on all plumbing no matter what. The guy at the lumber store suggested that I put in a recirculator if I do the tankless, which sounded good until we got to the part about running more plumbing. Bleah.

Thanks for the responses.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@0patience said:
    Pond is looking great now.

couple feet of rain makes a big difference, doesn't it?

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@0patience said:
    Pond is looking great now.

couple feet of rain makes a big difference, doesn't it?

There for a while, the level was dropping a bit. The Last couple thunder storms really dropped a lot of rain and seemed to have done well in filling it back up.
    One of our trees at the pond took a lightning hit and split some of the branches. Pretty impressive.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo makes me want to roll cast # 16 poppers with a 4wt fly rod. Any Bluegills in there?

@First_Warrior said:
    The photo makes me want to roll cast # 16 poppers with a 4wt fly rod. Any Bluegills in there?

Not sure. We have lots of Large mouth Bass for sure.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are making progress Tony

A little dirt never hurt