Home Non Cigar Related
Options

I hate remodeling. Post remodel stuff here

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking great!
    If there is one thing I will pay someone to do, that's sheetrock work. I hate it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Daniel, you do all these by yourself?
    danielzreyes:
    Weekend project. Kitchen Ceiling
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    0patience:
    Looking great!
    If there is one thing I will pay someone to do, that's sheetrock work. I hate it.
    You aint lying! If it's a small job, ok, but if it involves more than one full sheet of drywall, fugitaboutit. I'll patch it and sand it for days and days and days and days, & it still won't look as good as the guys who do it for a living.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    0patience:
    Looking great!
    You aint lying! If it's a small job, ok, but if it involves more than one full sheet of drywall, fugitaboutit. I'll patch it and sand it for days and days and days and days, & it still won't look as good as the guys who do it for a living.
    I'll second that! Even as a professional contractor drywall is the one phase I have no problem subbing out. Those guys are just so fast and good and not that expensive, they're worth every penny.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Daniel, you do all these by yourself?
    danielzreyes:
    Weekend project. Kitchen Ceiling
    Rip, this particular project I had help with. I don't have all the tools to do tape work.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Finished product. Next week, painting and adding the recessed lighting trim.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    JDH:
    0patience:
    Looking great!
    I'll second that! Even as a professional contractor drywall is the one phase I have no problem subbing out. Those guys are just so fast and good and not that expensive, they're worth every penny.
    Amen to that my brothers.
  • Options
    Kitchen finally done!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Kitchen finally done!
    Nice!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!...Congrats Daniel.
    danielzreyes:
    Kitchen finally done!
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Very nice!...Congrats Daniel.
    danielzreyes:
    Kitchen finally done!
    Thanks Rip. I was going to celebrate by smoking a Monte #2 but it didn't work out lol.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done Dan..how many cuss words were uttered before finishing??
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been busy the past couple weeks ..... redoing floors for almost the entire house.
    Ripped up carpet/carpet pad, laid new subfloor in a couple rooms, and new vinyl-wood plank flooring in (almost) the whole house -- except the kitchen/sunroom (already had bamboo flooring installed) and bathroom (marble tile)

Redid the 1st floor - living room & dining room - with all the same style of floor "brandywine", a little darker with more brownish tones, 6 1/2 in wide planks, 8 mm thick.
    Going to lay this on the stairs as well - but need to order special "end" pieces first.

And on the 2nd floor - redid 3 bedrooms, hallway, and walk-in closet - with all the same style "autumn harvest", a little brighter with some reddish tones and more shine to it. Planks are a little narrower at 5 5/8 in wide, but thicker at 12.3 mm.

This is what it looked like just over two weeks ago...
    Drab, tannish-brown carpet almost everywhere - that reeked of cat p!ss. Seriously, it was disguisting.

Living room looking into dining room.
    Carpet everywhere! Starting to rip and roll it up - blue carpet pad on the left.

Carpet in dining room ... GROSS!!!
    You eat there, spill food, and it gets in the carpet -- you can't clean that up. Disguisting...
    Let's get this ripped up!!

This is what was under the carpet/pad in the dining room. Looks like it was 4x8 vinyl sheets, but the top layer/finish had been ripped off - that left us with the cork base which was pretty even so we were able to go right over it without laying new subfloor.

This was under the carpet in the upstairs hallway and 2 bedrooms. Looked like 1x1 tiles, father-in-law (retired shop/industrial tech teacher) thought it might be asbestos tiles ... so we were very careful to not disturb it while pulling up tack strips/nails. But the good news was that the tiles were in tact, in good shape, and level so we were able to go right over this with the new floors.

In the living room, master bedroom & walk in closet --- we found the original floor (or subfloor?) from when the house was built in 1920...3 in wide, 1 in thick tongue-and-groove hardwood (maybe oak) planks.
    It was a **** to get the tack strips and staples/nails out of this, but they all had to come out before we could lay new subfloor over top.

New subfloor, 15/32 4x8 plywood sheets, in the living room (laid this upstairs in the master as well).
    Also had to spread some thinset (right side of the pic) between the living room/dining room, as there was about a 1 in height difference between the 2 rooms due to the cork in the dining room.

Now we're ready to put down the underlayment/vapor barrier and lay the new vinyl plank flooring!
    Woohoo!
    Don't have any pics of this "in progress" - as we were laying planks as fast as they were cut.
    But everything "floats". The underlayment is a thin foam pad that also acts as a vapor barrier. It isn't secured to the subfloor in any way, it's simply held in place by the weight of the vinyl planks.
    And the vinyl planks "snap" together easily, tongue-and-groove style. Except for the stairs, these aren't secured to the subfloor either, they also "float" in place and lock together.

And for the end result...
    We have new, "autumn harvest", planks in the master.

"Autum harvest" in the "office" (2nd bedroom).

New, "Brandywine" planks in the living room looking towards the dining room.

"Brandywine" in the dining room. (Need to rip cut 2 planks and put a transition piece to fill the gap between rooms, where the rug is.)

Phew, that was a lot of work ... lots of long 12-16 hour days but the end result is well worth it. Such an improvement over the cat p!ss smelling carpet that was there before.

Still not quite done, need to order/install transition pieces between rooms, order pieces/install planks on the staircase, cut back the extra underlayment around the edges, and install quarter round to cover the gaps where the floor meets the walls ... but we're almost there.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Gotta love that engineered hardwood flooring.
    I hate carpet.
    Fleas, bugs, smell and a pain to keep clean.
    We're in the process of doing the same to our house.
    Hardwood flooring is so much easier to keep clean and if you want carpet, you can always use throw rugs.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    Gotta love that engineered hardwood flooring.
    I hate carpet.
    Fleas, bugs, smell and a pain to keep clean.
    We're in the process of doing the same to our house.
    Hardwood flooring is so much easier to keep clean and if you want carpet, you can always use throw rugs.
    Heck yeah!
    I can not stand carpet....and I especially don't understand why people with animals (like the previous owner's with cats) would have carpet...just doesn't make sense to me.

And yeah I love these floors --- I'd say it took longer to prep everything (rip up the carpet/pad/nails and install the subfloor) than it did to install the new flooring.
    The "float" system was a breeze to install; I assume that's what you're using??

• Options
    Yep. The floating snap together stuff. Pretty economical and it holds up pretty well.
    The transitions cost almost as much as a box of the flooring though. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    Yep. The floating snap together stuff. Pretty economical and it holds up pretty well.
    The transitions cost almost as much as a box of the flooring though. LOL!
    Haven't ordered the transitions yet but I noticed the prices when we picked out the boxes of flooring...yikes!
    That's how they get ya I suppose.

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    +1 on that. So I got raw stock and molded my own. Love my floating floor!
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    your hired!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done John!! Looks great!!
  • Options
    beatnic:
    That's a great idea ... any idea how much you saved going that route instead of buying the pre-made transition pieces?

• Options
    Nicely done John.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    jgibv:
    beatnic:
    That's a great idea ... any idea how much you saved going that route instead of buying the pre-made transition pieces?
    I saved a lot in material. Even used leftover flooring for a few pieces. But, you'll need a good router and/or dado attachments for your table saw. Sometimes you might need to make more than one cut with more than one tool. If time=money, I actually spent more, but learned a lot.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    jgibv:
    beatnic:
    I saved a lot in material. Even used leftover flooring for a few pieces. But, you'll need a good router and/or dado attachments for your table saw. Sometimes you might need to make more than one cut with more than one tool. If time=money, I actually spent more, but learned a lot.
    Hmm .... time's not really an issue, but tools/skills are...

Will have to ask my father-in-law about this, because he's certainly got the tools and know-how --- but we don't have too many transitions so I'll have to price out a couple options.

• Options
    danielzreyes:
    Nicely done John.
    Thanks brother!!

I'm diggin' what you did with your kitchen and what Tony did with his bathroom.
    Whenever we get around to updating the kitchen and bathroom ---- you guys wanna come out this way and help ?? .... I can pay you in cigars and booze :-D

• Options
    photo C7D5199C-orig.jpg

photo 999524D0-orig.jpg
  • Options
    T.J. ArmstrongT.J. Armstrong Posts: 256
    Looks like you had a heck of a busy day or weekend! Looks great.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basement finishing. Been a 10 month project so far. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mud, tape, and texturing done. imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    You're getting there Jake! Good Job!