Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Biodarwin's journey to becoming a cigar smoker

Hello Folks,

I decided to get into the cigar smoking for several reasons. The main reason was relaxation and to enjoy an hour of peace without my cell, laptop, desktop and whatever other devices which keep me "plugged in" on a daily basis.
The second reason was to experience a journey of learning and appreciating the hard work, time, and complexities of cigars and cigar smoking. I didn't realize until recently how complex a cigar can be. It was 5 years ago when I finally started appreciating a good bottle of wine. I believe this my newest evolution in my search to enjoy the finer things in life.

The last reason being one of my friends and I have recently stopped smoking cigarettes but wanted something to puff on during football season and cooking ( i have a smoker so we tend to do it up on the weekends). The liquor store I frequent had a walk-in humidor and we decided to go in.

The selection alone was fairly over-whelming, but I remember my former business partner had several humidors and I remember asking him :what is a good cigar". His answer was anything by Rocky Patel. This thought entered my mind while perusing through the select and I was immediate drawn to this Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage and had to buy it. Prior to this I had previously equated cigars with Dutch Masters and Black and Mild's and I had no idea what I was about to get myself into.

Before lighting it I gave it a good smell and I was immediately drawn to this deep, coffee and cocoa smell and I was almost afraid to light it up. I used a punch and proceeded to light it like a cigarette, sucking tons of nasty lighter fluid through this wonderful cigar. I was completely oblivious. I do not remember the specifics but it was enjoyable. I have since bought another to properly taste it. It should be in the mail this week and I look forward to giving the cigar its due respect.

Now you know my "life story" I plan on updating this journal and describing my experience as I try and smoke my way through a variety of premium cigars. Premium meaning $5-10 a stick.

*** DISCLAIMER:

I am just beginning my journey so I am sure my reviews will be as such. Please take them for what they are and not that of a life long cigar smoker with years of experience :)

My first cigar will be a: Man O' War Side Project 52C
Stay tuned, the review will be up in the next hour or so.

Comments

• Options
    rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    Welcome to the forum Jeremy!
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
  • Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Man O' War Side Project 52C

Size: 5 x 52 Ch Shape Vitola
    Wrapper: Habano ligero wrapper

Drink of Choice:
    Crown Royal and coke with a splash of lime, kept the lime to cleanse my palate.

When I initial received my sampler I took a good sniff of each cigar. This one was one of the most intriguing. I got a rich earthy smell which was very appealing. I cut the cigar making note of the chisel shape. I really like it as I do not like big rings and this made it even better. I lit the cigar and puffed for a few with nothing to brag about. Then all of the sudden it developed a woody taste which appealed to the middle of my tongue with a slight pepper taste on the back of my tongue. I would say this lasted for a good 10-15 minutes followed by a sweet taste which mellowed and became complex.

At this point my wife and I were really enjoying the cigar, passing it back and forth and probably got a little too aggressive with puffing frequency and the cigar got a bit hot and turned a little bitter. My wife stopped smoking and took a puff every 3-4 minutes just letting it cool down. After it did the flavor returned and was a combination of all of the flavors I had previously experienced. After a few minutes it turned very spicy and was no longer enjoyable. At this point it was 65% burned and I was willing to set it down and call it an experience.

Notes:
    Really enjoyable complex smoke
    Don't puff too much too fast or it gets hot and effects the flavor
    Lime works really well to cleanse your palate
  • Options
    rburke1129:
    Thank you! I am originally from the Indianapolis area, about 40 miles east.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    rburke1129:
    Thank you! I am originally from the Indianapolis area, about 40 miles east.
    In five years when you're a forum pro, I'll be able to say I knew you when you were just getting started :)
  • Options
    Welcome to the forums )

I look forward to reading more of your reviews.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astonished you would start out with the MOW Side Project 52C. To me, that stick was like peppered asphalt. Had that been my first stock I would never have smoked a second. Just goes to show how individual palates can be.

What's next?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. Looking forward to more reviews.
  • Options
    webmost:
    Astonished you would start out with the MOW Side Project 52C. To me, that stick was like peppered asphalt. Had that been my first stock I would never have smoked a second. Just goes to show how individual palates can be.

What's next?

It did get a bit rough towards the end but there was something special there will a mellow sweetness which was incredibly good. Unless I decide otherwise, tonights smoke will be a Diesel Unholy Cocktail.
  • Options
    pross:
    Welcome. Looking forward to more reviews.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    Nelenea:
    Welcome to the forums ) I look forward to reading more of your reviews.
    Thank you I do appreciate it.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    In case I haven't already said this, welcome to the forum. I really appreciate that you are willing to share your journey into the world of cigars with us. Many "newbs" are very reluctant to share their experiences, especially with many veteran cigar smokers. Your openness and honesty is refreshing! Please, keep up with this thread. I am looking forward to reading what you discover in the future.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    Unless I decide otherwise, tonights smoke will be a Diesel Unholy Cocktail.
    Changed my mind. Going with a Cain 464T Cameroon for tonight.
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    refreshing! Please, keep up with this thread. I am looking forward to reading what you discover in the future.
    Thank you for the kind words. I hope to keep this going as long as I can.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    webmost:

What's next?

It did get a bit rough towards the end but there was something special there will a mellow sweetness which was incredibly good. Unless I decide otherwise, tonights smoke will be a Diesel Unholy Cocktail.
    Jeepers. Must be that Cajun food gives which you that leather tongue right off. Go for it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it up its good to get a new perspective. Welcome!!
  • Options
    webmost:
    Jeepers. Must be that Cajun food gives which you that leather tongue right off. Go for it.

After years of smoking cigarettes, cigars actually taste good :)
  • Options
    Nub 464 Torpedo
    Size: Nub
    Wrapper: Cameroon

Drink of Choice: Crown and coke with lime

I am pretty impressed with this stick, not to mention being my first cameroon wrapped cigar to smoke. It is packed so tight yet does not have a tight draw. Slow burning, I felt like it was never going to go down. The favor did not change much from start to finish. If I could use 2 words to describe this stick it should be balanced and oak. I also noticed my taste buds picked up notes on the back of my tongue, which is a new sensation during smoking for me. So far most of the flavor on previously smoked cigars have been on the front half of my tongue.

This review is short and simplistic, much like this cigar. It is not complex but it is well balanced, smooth and enjoyable smoke. My wife and I both agreed this would be a perfect smoke for after lunch, but not heavy enough for an after dinner smoke. After all, that is what maduros are for right?

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I like where this is going. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to much more of this. Thanks for sharing. Also, I believe that is a Nub 464 Cameroon and not a Cain Nub, though both are made by Oliva and could be easily confused. I don't think there is a Cain Nub Cameroon. Either way, keep the reviews coming!
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    I like where this is going. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to much more of this.
    Thank you! I look forward to having you along for the journey :)
    pelirrojo:
    I Also, I believe that is a Nub 464 Cameroon and not a Cain Nub, though both are made by Oliva and could be easily confused. I don't think there is a Cain Nub Cameroon. Either way, keep the reviews coming!
    Thanks for the catch. I also bought a Cain nub with the maduro wrapper at the same time so I got a bit confused. This is another reason why I am doing this, so I can learn :)
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy, if you enjoyed the Cameroon Nub and think you might enjoy other Cameroons, definitely check out the Arturo Fuentes that come in a Cameroon wrapper. They pretty much wrote the book on them, IMHO.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Jeremy, if you enjoyed the Cameroon Nub and think you might enjoy other Cameroons, definitely check out the Arturo Fuentes that come in a Cameroon wrapper. They pretty much wrote the book on them, IMHO.
    I did enjoy it. Thank you for the suggestion I will definitely be looking into them!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Oh my, my, my. Someone said the magic word. Cameroon. YUM YUM YUM!!
    Torano 1916
    Umpann Vintage Cameroon
    AF Hemmingway
    RP Vintage Cameroon

Jeremy, PM me your addy. I can send you a few cameroons.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    DCarp2005DCarp2005 Posts: 140
    Biodarwin, From one noob to another i would like to say nice choice of cigars and the reviews are very helpful as i am also developing my palate. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    0patience:
    Jeremy, PM me your addy. I can send you a few cameroons.
    Very much appreciated!
  • Options
    DCarp2005:
    Biodarwin, From one noob to another i would like to say nice choice of cigars and the reviews are very helpful as i am also developing my palate. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you! What part of Ohio are you from? I lived in Columbus for a few years.
  • Options
    Notes for tonight's review

Take a pre-light draw
    Notes on construction
    Take notes on the ash
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy, welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your reviews with us.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums!! There are a lot of solid people on here!! Get ready to bust your wallet apart as you enter the cigar world!! Have fun and remember its all about the experience
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    DCarp2005DCarp2005 Posts: 140
    biodarwin:
    DCarp2005:
    Thank you! What part of Ohio are you from? I lived in Columbus for a few years.
    Nice haha,I'm from southeast ohio near marietta
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I like your style it is like a public cigar tasting journal. Where in Louisiana are you?