Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Biodarwin's journey to becoming a cigar smoker

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dig that band.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    webmost:
    I dig that band.

Yeah, the Room 101 OSOKs have prob the coolest non traditional packaging on the market.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    webmost:
    I dig that band.

Yeah, the Room 101 OSOKs have prob the coolest non traditional packaging on the market.
    And the best smelling boxes!! Spanish cedar lovin right there!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Shot, One Kill.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    My first real review in quite some time will be posted later today. Finally smoked my first LFD AirBender.
  • Options
    La Flora Dominica Air Bender Matatan

Vitola:Robusto
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder/Filler:Dominican

I recently boughtg the robusto sampler from LFD. I have been looking forward to trying the Air Bender since I read about the Chiesel vitola. I wanted to get a get sampler from the line so I thought this might be the best way to determine what 5 packs I want to buy.

The wrapper was very smooth, but veiny. So far, every cigar I have smoked with veins like this have been great. Between the veins and the great reviews of this forum I figured I would be in for a treat!

The smell of the body of the cigar smelled of hay, the foot cocoa. After making my cut I take a predraw drag, wonderful flavors of molasses which were very deep and rich.

First Third
    The first third starts with a sweet taste which progresses to a hint of spice with a floral exhale. All perfectly balanced without being overwhelming.

Second Third
    As the cigar progresses into the 2/3 the sweetness mellowed to a minor woody flavor maybe oak, while the exhale still slightly floral, but somewhat subsiding. The last part of this third started to develop a creamy texture without a lot of sweetness.

Third Third
    The smoke continues to get creamier and thicker. Strong oak flavor developing on exhale. With about 1.5in left on it I sit it down. Once cigars get smaller and hotter, the flavor is just not worth it so I put them out a bit earlier than what I see a lot of reviewers doing.

Finishing thoughts, is just completely amazed. It was complex, smooth and well balanced. I am going to get a 5 pack of the Chiesel and depending on which vitola I prefer I will definitely pick up a box.

• Options
    Smoking a Quesada Espana, really really fine tasting cigar.
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    thanks for the reviews. keep on posting.
  • Options

Padron 3000 Natural

Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan

The Padr
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I haven't tried the naturals yet, but the maduro is yummy. Nice review
  • Options
    bbass2:
    I haven't tried the naturals yet, but the maduro is yummy. Nice review

Thanks! I have a 3000 and Londres maduro which I will be reviewing sometime in the near future.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I always rest the naturals since they can be a tad harsh...as for the maduros well they are just ready to go IMO. I love padron and for the money they are hard to beat!! Nice review though and try that londres!!!! It's delicious!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I always rest the naturals since they can be a tad harsh...as for the maduros well they are just ready to go IMO. I love padron and for the money they are hard to beat!! Nice review though and try that londres!!!! It's delicious!!!!
    +1
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I always rest the naturals since they can be a tad harsh...

When you mention rest, are you referring to 3 months, 6 months, more?
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    Lee.mcglynn:

Yeah too me anything under a year or two is rest...the padron naturals really shine with around 9 months on them IMO. At least for the thousand series...I know it's hard not to smoke them but it is worth the wait!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Lee.mcglynn:
    biodarwin:
    Lee.mcglynn:

Yeah too me anything under a year or two is rest...the padron naturals really shine with around 9 months on them IMO. At least for the thousand series...I know it's hard not to smoke them but it is worth the wait!!
    That's exactly why I like the '64 & the '26.....they're already aged and ready to go, yea, they cost more, but I think they're worth it.
  • Options
    JDH:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    biodarwin:
    Lee.mcglynn:

That's exactly why I like the '64 & the '26.....they're already aged and ready to go, yea, they cost more, but I think they're worth it.
    I feel ya...I'm a sucker for the 64 but do feel the naturals still could use some rest...maybe it's just me and the fact that I retro hale almost every time but they still could smooth out a tad IMO. But all in all they are all great smokes and love them all!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    JDH:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    biodarwin:
    Lee.mcglynn:

I feel ya...I'm a sucker for the 64 but do feel the naturals still could use some rest...maybe it's just me and the fact that I retro hale almost every time but they still could smooth out a tad IMO. But all in all they are all great smokes and love them all!!
    For my birthday, the wife got me several of the '64's (both natural and maduro) in a new size; a larger than normal ring toro. She's a good girl.
  • Options
    JDH:
    For my birthday, the wife got me several of the '64's (both natural and maduro) in a new size; a larger than normal ring toro. She's a good girl.
    It sounds like it!!!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    JDH:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    biodarwin:
    Lee.mcglynn:

I almost never retro hale. I think it's because my sinuses are a little wonky because my nose has been broken (boxing) and it tends to make me sneeze when I do.
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    JDH:
    It sounds like it!!!
    Yea, she's a keeper, we got married in 1975.
  • Options
    JDH:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    JDH:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    biodarwin:
    Lee.mcglynn:

I almost never retro hale. I think it's because my sinuses are a little wonky because my nose has been broken (boxing) and it tends to make me sneeze when I do.
    aaawww man!!!! That's horrible!! Personally I love the retro hale and can't figure out why people don't do it as much but yes this is a very valid reason not too!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    JDH:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    JDH:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    biodarwin:
    Lee.mcglynn:

aaawww man!!!! That's horrible!! Personally I love the retro hale and can't figure out why people don't do it as much but yes this is a very valid reason not too!!
    Yea,sneezing in the middle of a retro hale is not fun, unless you happen to be watching somebody do it, then it's fu####g hilarious.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bump, miss these reviews, everything OK bio?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    Thing were not ok for a while, but it is amazing how things can work themselves out. Everything is good now. Once we get out of this hot weather I will be back to smoking cigars and writing reviews!
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    Ken Light:
    Thing were not ok for a while, but it is amazing how things can work themselves out. Everything is good now. Once we get out of this hot weather I will be back to smoking cigars and writing reviews!
    Sorry to hear about the rough patch, but glad to see you back!!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy...I see you lurking. Come back to us!
  • Options
    Rain:
    :) Hello there sir! How have you been? I have been in cigar acquisition mode in the last few weeks. I am starting to get caught up on the forums! Now that i have some nicely seasoned cigars from last year I will commence the review process shortly!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I have been great, and I will be doing even better when you start some more reviews.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    :) Hello there sir! How have you been? I have been in cigar acquisition mode in the last few weeks. I am starting to get caught up on the forums! Now that i have some nicely seasoned cigars from last year I will commence the review process shortly!
    good to see you back around these parts!