Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Biodarwin's journey to becoming a cigar smoker

Comments

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. That 1916 Cam is outstanding. I was this close to buying two boxes, and then my humidor overflowed. Torano never disappoints.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    0patience:
    I don't remember if I sent you a La Caya Cameroon, but it has a bit of a different twist to it, than the 1916. So if I did, don't expect the same cigar. And keep up the great reviews.
    I smoked the La Caya today. It is not a bad smoke. Not as complex but had a nice sweetness with some cedar and spice as I get to the last third.

I am going to stop reviewing single cigars as I do not think I get the proper impress from just one smoke. I will only be reviewing cigars I have 2-3 of. I am ordering a lot of 5 packs so this should not be an issue :)
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok Rain, I gave you plenty of time to receive the cameroons from me and try out the 1916.
    So have you smoked it yet? If so, how did you like it?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    No, I have not smoked it yet. I will get one burning today and report back.
  • Options
    Do it. Torano 1916 Cams are da bom. Sweet leather with a wood finish. Very nice. And attractive, too.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Alrighty, cool. I was letting them rest a little bit, as I've not been holding on to smokes long enough after I got them, and I think it really made a few taste bad. But I am your humble servant, and I will force myself to smoke the 1916 today ;)PS - Thanks again for sending them!
  • Options
    I am definitely a Torano 1916 fan. I should have some of the coronas and robustos headed my way, hopefully this week. I haven't been smoking a lot lately. Instead of writing reviews I have been spending all of my time writing software to track my humidors and cigars. If I can get it refined I would love to let CCOM BOTL's use it as well.
  • Options
    I should also mention, if you are looking for a valued price cigar with a cameroon wrapper, I can't say enough good things about the Cusano Factory Selects.
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    I am definitely a Torano 1916 fan. I should have some of the coronas and robustos headed my way, hopefully this week. I haven't been smoking a lot lately. Instead of writing reviews I have been spending all of my time writing software to track my humidors and cigars. If I can get it refined I would love to let CCOM BOTL's use it as well.
    Tell me about your software. How does it differ from what is already available? Is it web based, app based, or...? I am a geek as well.

• Options
    webmost:
    Tell me about your software. How does it differ from what is already available? Is it web based, app based, or...? I am a geek as well.

Web-based. Wrote in Perl using HTML::Mason. MySQL backend. I created a perl module for manipulating the data. The main goal was to be able to track humidors and sections of humidors and not just cigars.

1.0 (80% Complete)
    - humidors and sections
    - Cigars (quantity, box date, purchase date, price, wrapper, filler,binder, length,width,vitola)
    - Cigar actions (Smoke/Gift/Sell) to track where your cigars go, tracks price for selling them ( I give to me friends when we smoke together, but if they want some for the road I do not want to lose money )
    - Cigar notes
    - AJAX auto-complete for the new cigar form based on a cache.

2.0 (In design phase)

- Print QR codes for new "batches" to be readable by phones, queries API to retrieve information about the cigar to display on the phone
    - CCOM review format (Review a cigar and spit out form compatible code for easy posting of reviews)
    - Drag and drop capabilities for moving cigars for new purchase to different sections of various humidors

3.0 (Alpha)

- Integrate with Raspberry Pi device I am building to monitor humidor temp and humidity

The next step is to get everything up on git, which I am DREADING.
  • Options
    A Perl Geek! Gotta love perl. Elegant, succinct, and all worked out. Almost obsoleted now by clearly inferior php.

• Options
    WTF are you guys talking about? Use English!
  • Options
    Supposedly php is considered more secure than perl. If you ask me, there are more problems with php.
    And php has a lot of limitations that perl doesn't. Combine a perl forum with mysql database and it flows really nice, but no one messes with perl forum programs anymore. It's a shame.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    I'm smoking the Torano as we speak. YUM!So, anywho, I loved it. Not sure if that's because it's from Torano or because it's a Cameroon. I got these amazing wood and chocolate flavors throughout. Smoked it while I was setting up my man cave.image
  • Options
    Rain:
    I'm smoking the Torano as we speak. YUM!So, anywho, I loved it. Not sure if that's because it's from Torano or because it's a Cameroon. I got these amazing wood and chocolate flavors throughout. Smoked it while I was setting up my man cave.
    Probably because it's a Torano AND it's a cameroon. LOL!
    It is one of those cigars I never worry about handing out to someone.
    And for the price, it is extremely hard to beat.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    I'm really thinking of a box purchase...damn you.
  • Options
    Rain:
    If you don't want to commit to an entire box I'd be willing to split one. PM me if your interested.
  • Options
    Fellas, before you go buy a box, keep an eye out on the sprint sale.
    I've been getting 5 & 10 packs of the 1916s on there for pretty good deals.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    Supposedly php is considered more secure than perl. If you ask me, there are more problems with php.
    And php has a lot of limitations that perl doesn't. Combine a perl forum with mysql database and it flows really nice, but no one messes with perl forum programs anymore. It's a shame.
    Never heard that. All my experience has been the reverse. That's why handy tools like php magic_quotes are being removed in newer versions, in the battle against sql insertion. Which means you got to go back and re-hack all the stuff which relies on magic_quotes.

Once upon a time, a php upgrade removed the unpack function, of all things. All of a sudden, all my programs which used to unpack binary strings to read different DB files couldn't What a Chinese fire drill that was.

Nothing beats Perl when parsing strings.

It's Perl brudda!

• Options
    0patience:

I got no patience for that sprint sale. Sittin there waiting for each item to count down just in case what you want might come up. Way too fidgetty to do that.

• Options
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    If you don't want to commit to an entire box I'd be willing to split one. PM me if your interested.
    Let me rephrase this, I got a REALLY good deal on a box last night. If you want part of it let me know :)
  • Options
    webmost:
    Nothing beats Perl when parsing strings.

Quoted for truth. Perl makes things so much easier and CPAN > Pear
  • Options
    webmost:
    0patience:

I got no patience for that sprint sale. Sittin there waiting for each item to count down just in case what you want might come up. Way too fidgetty to do that.

I can sympathize with that. But I'm all about the deals. I'll research until I find the right deal.
    And I'll go to the sprint sale while I'm doing other stuff and check it. If something comes up I like, I'll watch it. If I don't get it, I move on. It's not really about patience, but finding the deal.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Last night I sat by the campfire and smoked an AF Don Carlos #4 and a Cusano LXI Sungrown. Those Don Carlos' are so good I told the wife I was going to buy a box she completely agreed with the decision :)
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    Let me rephrase this, I got a REALLY good deal on a box last night. If you want part of it let me know :)
    Hahah, fair enough, I'll bite! I just split a box of Ramon Buesos or I would have been all over this. PM.
  • Options
    I smoked a Alec Bradley SCR tonight. Very very tasty smoke. While not being impressed with the complexity of the cigar during the first half, the second 1/2 made up for it will some subtle and delicate flavors I couldn't quite put my finger on. I wanted to say Sweet earth, but that sounds sooooooo vague.
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    I smoked a Alec Bradley SCR tonight. Very very tasty smoke. While not being impressed with the complexity of the cigar during the first half, the second 1/2 made up for it will some subtle and delicate flavors I couldn't quite put my finger on. I wanted to say Sweet earth, but that sounds sooooooo vague.
    Aren't those just yum. Smell good too.

• Options
    Smoked an La Aurota 1495 tonight. Another really fine Cameroon. Flavors were interesting. Looking forward to getting a 5 pack of these for review.
  • Options
    webmost:
    Aren't those just yum. Smell good too.

Absolutely!
  • Options
    Room 101 OSOK Filero

More notes than review, but my software is not ready yet and I need someone to stash the info so I might as well share this with ya'll

Smoked a 101 Room OSOK Filero last night which was gifted to me for A BOTL here. But since I am partially an idiot, I accidently deleted my folder of pics off picassa which had my review pics and the gifts I recieved when I first came to the board. I want to say that it might have been Reggie, but I can't be for sure. Who ever it was I do thank them dearly.

The cigar was tasty. It seems I am really digging on wrappers grown in Ecuador, regardless of the type of tobacco used for the wrapper. The wrapper was gorgeous, smooth with a few pronounced veins. The burn was a bit ill regular and wavy but never so bad that it did not correct itself. I was playing darts with some friends and didn't get a chance to sit down and think of flavors. I can say the retro-hale was one of the smoothest, cleanest flavors I have experienced since starting to retro-hale. The only down side to this cigar would be its lack of availability. This appeared to be a limited release and this makes me a little sad.