Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Biodarwin's journey to becoming a cigar smoker

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I do enjoy the don Carlos belicoso's myself...all in all good stick and boy is that wrapper full of sugar
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    This week will be Cameroon week. I will be smoking:

Cohiba Red dot
    Torano 1916
    Cusano Factory Second

Not sure which order or days, but this is the game plan.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Looking forward to reading the reviews. I have very little experience with cameroon cigars and it would be nice to know about a few I should look out for or stay away from.
  • Options
    Imgembo:
    Looking forward to reading the reviews. I have very little experience with cameroon cigars and it would be nice to know about a few I should look out for or stay away from.
    So far they have been my favorite. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of other cigars, but there is something about the creamy sweet smoke produced by Cameroon wrappers.
  • Options
    A good Cameroon is a nice thing! To bad many companies rush them out the door! Good luck on your journeys and I look forward to the reviews!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    biodarwin:
    Imgembo:
    So far they have been my favorite. Don't get me wrong I like a lot of other cigars, but there is something about the creamy sweet smoke produced by Cameroon wrappers.
    What are some other camerroons you would recommend? I think i have only had 2, a partragas and a PDR value line. They were alright nothing special.
  • Options
    Imgembo:
    biodarwin:
    Imgembo:
    What are some other camerroons you would recommend? I think i have only had 2, a partragas and a PDR value line. They were alright nothing special.
    La aurora has a nice Cameroon and CAO has one but it really needs rest!! But really fuente is the way to go. My favorite one is probably lfd's but I just love litto so it could just be me
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    La aurora has a nice Cameroon and CAO has one but it really needs rest!! But really fuente is the way to go. My favorite one is probably lfd's but I just love litto so it could just be me
    This. I have not tried the CAO, but The La Aurora Preferidos without the tube are affordable and really nice. AF Don Carlos is pretty tough to beat.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    My favorite one is probably lfd's but I just love litto so it could just be me
    I will get one of these soon to try. Definitely on my list.
  • Options
    Cusano Factory Selects
    Wrapper:Cameroon
    Vitola:Preferido
    FillerDominican Republic
    Drink:Dr. Pepper

After inspecting the cigar I didn't notice much of a flaw which would rate this smoke as such. I held the cigar to my nose and took a big whiff. There is a subtle sweetness to the smell of the unlit cigar. It doesn't smell rich per say but I like the smell nonetheless. After making my cut I took a pre-light draw which was dominated by a cedar / sweet taste.

I lit the cigar with my Black Ops torch lighter without issue. The first 1/2 of the cigar started and ended with a creamy, sweet but not too sweet note. There was a texture to the smoke which I wanted to describe as buttery. Creamy was probably a better word. On the retrohale I get lots of cedar with a piney after taste.

The second 1/2 started a transitioned into a carmel flavor which gave the smoke a lot of depth. At this time i had a bit of a clog which I was able to be freed (which made the draw a lot easier.) The retrohale was still lots of cedar, but with a cleaner less piney notes.

For the cost these are great smokes. I will definitely be looking for mazo of these after my coolidor is up! I could write more about this cigar, but I got a late start and it is now past my bedtime.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bout that. I didn't know the Cusano 59 Cameroon came in a bargain bundle of seconds like that. I like Cusanos. Have to look into their seconds if I can ever make room in the box.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    How bout that. I didn't know the Cusano 59 Cameroon
    It was a bit difficult to figure out if this is one of those seconds. I do not believe the cameroon mentioned above in Preferido. So, I have no clue...
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    webmost:
    How bout that. I didn't know the Cusano 59 Cameroon
    It was a bit difficult to figure out if this is one of those seconds. I do not believe the cameroon mentioned above in Preferido. So, I have no clue...
    I'm going by this, on the c.com factory selects cameroon page:

"These treats come unbanded and are true production blends from Cusano's standard lines such as Cusano 18, LXI Habano Sun Grown, Cuv
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    "These treats come unbanded and are true production blends from Cusano's standard lines such as Cusano 18, LXI Habano Sun Grown, Cuv
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    webmost:

• Options
    Carlos Torano 1916
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Vitola: Robusto
    Filler: Nicaraguan & Honduran
    Drink: Coke

The pre-light smell was sweet cedar, the foot had a rich smell which was loud and I couldn't quite pin point an exact flavor. The pre-light draw was sweet with a bit of cedar.

The flavors start out very seperate. At first there was no nutty flavor at all. Then it starts to kick in and you have this sweet, nutty, and cedar tastes which were interesting but not completely balanced. The burn was nice and straight, no issues with the wrapper. The ash held for almost 2 inches, probably longer if I wouldn't have flopped a boat against trips in the poker tournament :) The sweet turned more caramel like and the cigar smoothed out to be completely balanced 1/2 way through. At this point I am really into this cigar. The first 1/3 did not completely blow me away, but as it progressed it become something completely different, like when you cook that one dish and for the first time the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. This lasted for the duration of the smoke for me. My laptop died at this point and I had to put it down with only about 2in left on it.

Definitely a great smoke, well balanced and easy on the palate. I am going to look for a 5 pack, but I am not entirely committed to a box purchase yet.
  • Options
    Thanks for the review!! Torano makes some great sticks for the money!! You should try the exodus silver it's pretty dang good on any occasion
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Thanks for the review!! Torano makes some great sticks for the money!! You should try the exodus silver it's pretty dang good on any occasion
    Thank you sir! I will add that to "the list".
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy, are you retrohaling?
  • Options
    Rain:
    Jeremy, are you retrohaling?
    I just started retro haling in the last few weeks. Not too much, like maybe twice a third.
  • Options
    Ok, I was just wondering. I find that I retro on just about every draw, but that;s another story.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Ok, I was just wondering. I find that I retro on just about every draw, but that;s another story.
    I do not think my nasal cavity could take that kind of abuse :)
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    You know, when I met my wife, I said the same thing but then....wait. Nevermind.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably should have sent you 2 of the 1916. LOL!
    It is one that I keep plenty of in my humi.
    It is pretty much my "go to" cigar.

I'm glad you found it interesting. Cameroons are cigars that some folks like or don't like.

The only problem I find with a lot of cameroons (remember, I am a cameroon fiend) is that the wrappers are sometimes fragile and have a tendency to crack from humidity changes, like going from inside the house to outside. But all in all, I love them.

I don't remember if I sent you a La Caya Cameroon, but it has a bit of a different twist to it, than the 1916. So if I did, don't expect the same cigar.

And keep up the great reviews.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Rain:
    biodarwin:
    Rain:
    You know, when I met my wife, I said the same thing but then....wait. Nevermind.
    So I'm not the only one who has a wife with a good right cross?
    Oh wait, nevermind, she may be looking at the forums. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    It is one that I keep plenty of in my humi.
    It is pretty much my "go to" cigar.

I'm glad you found it interesting. Cameroons are cigars that some folks like or don't like.

The only problem I find with a lot of cameroons (remember, I am a cameroon fiend) is that the wrappers are sometimes fragile and have a tendency to crack from humidity changes, like going from inside the house to outside. But all in all, I love them.

I don't remember if I sent you a La Caya Cameroon, but it has a bit of a different twist to it, than the 1916. So if I did, don't expect the same cigar.

And keep up the great reviews.
    Cameroons come from Africa, correct? I don't think I've tried one.
  • Options
    Rain:
    Cameroons come from Africa, correct? I don't think I've tried one.
    Yep. From Africa.
    You have not tried a cameroon???
    Good lord man, PM me your addy.
    I've got an assortment all packed up and ready for ya. LOL!
    Although, it might not make it to the mail, til I get back from Vegas. Then again, it might. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Forum generosity at its best! PM incoming.
  • Options
    0patience:
    :) I already picked up a 5 pack so I could have a couple to keep around.
    0patience:

I have not had any issues yet, knock on wood, but I have read about it. Some companies do not even produce a Cameroon line because of the complexities of working with the wrapper.

0patience:
    I don't remember if I sent you a La Caya Cameroon, but it has a bit of a different twist to it, than the 1916. So if I did, don't expect the same cigar. And keep up the great reviews.
    Yes, you did send a La Cava, its on my top tray waiting to be smoked :)
  • Options
    Amazing that I have read this entire thread and haven't tried at least one of the cigars you've reviewed. On the other hand, the reviews are very helpful and now I have an idea of which I'll be trying next as I am still new to cigars. Keep up the good work!