Home Cigar 101
Options

Mold vs Plume

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Kuz that is great info as always!

I will add that just because your cigar has a few spots of mold doesn't mean you should throw it away. Wipe it off and if you're the cautious type, seperate it from the rest of your cigars. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the B.S. that if you see a spot of mold on the outside of your cigar the inside is full of it. Next time you were going to throw away a cigar bc of mold just take it and cut it open and inspect it.

Anyone who has kept cigars for long periods of time has had mold. If I threw away every cigar I had that one little spot of mold showed up on I'd have been out hundreds of dollars of cigars. That being said if it was covered completely I would chuck it. but a couple of spots. Just put your big girl panties on ...
    Just like cheese or bread.... If it's a tiny spot or only one piece that's moldy, just cut around it. I've only had one stick with a little dot of mold. I smoked it and I'm still alive!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    madurofan:

I will add that just because your cigar has a few spots of mold doesn't mean you should throw it away. Wipe it off and if you're the cautious type, seperate it from the rest of your cigars. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the B.S. that if you see a spot of mold on the outside of your cigar the inside is full of it. Next time you were going to throw away a cigar bc of mold just take it and cut it open and inspect it.

Anyone who has kept cigars for long periods of time has had mold. If I threw away every cigar I had that one little spot of mold showed up on I'd have been out hundreds of dollars of cigars. That being said if it was covered completely I would chuck it. but a couple of spots. Just put your big girl panties on ...
    Just like cheese or bread.... If it's a tiny spot or only one piece that's moldy, just cut around it. I've only had one stick with a little dot of mold. I smoked it and I'm still alive!
    HAHA! You're braver than I am moldy bread goes in the trash. I do laugh at my wife for throwing away cheese with a spot of mold, I just remind her that cheese is spoiled milk. And she reminds me that if I ever want her to eat cheese again I will stop telling her that. Its a good routine we practice it often.

Where in West By God are you?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Gray4lines:
    madurofan:

HAHA! You're braver than I am moldy bread goes in the trash. I do laugh at my wife for throwing away cheese with a spot of mold, I just remind her that cheese is spoiled milk. And she reminds me that if I ever want her to eat cheese again I will stop telling her that. Its a good routine we practice it often.

Lol! My wife is the same way... she will not mess with expiration dates at all (even on stupid stuff like soda). I will keep bread past the date if it looks fine.. but once the fuzz starts spreading, it's out.

I am in Charleston! From southern WV (We lived in Wytheville, Va for a little while too), and went to Marshall U. I will be moving to Kentucky this fall to start in a Ph.D. program in econ at UK.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    madurofan:
    Gray4lines:
    madurofan:

Lol! My wife is the same way... she will not mess with expiration dates at all (even on stupid stuff like soda). I will keep bread past the date if it looks fine.. but once the fuzz starts spreading, it's out.

I am in Charleston! From southern WV (We lived in Wytheville, Va for a little while too), and went to Marshall U. I will be moving to Kentucky this fall to start in a Ph.D. program in econ at UK.
    Ha that's funny my wife and I had an argument about the expiration date on vinegar. How the hell does vinegar expire? I told her its a Best By date ...

I just learned where Wytheville was last week. corner of 81 and 58.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Ha that's funny my wife and I had an argument about the expiration date on vinegar. How the hell does vinegar expire? I told her its a Best By date ...

I just learned where Wytheville was last week. corner of 81 and 58.
    LOL!! isn't vinegar used to preserve other foods?? Like pickling!

Yeah, Wytheville was a nice little place. It has grown a lot in the past 10 years. I like WV too. We will see how KY is... seems nice. I am defintely going on bourbon tours!
  • Options
    You'll enjoy Kentucky beautiful country. Just stay away from Paducah. Some of the old timers on here like Laker and Kuzi may remember me being stuck there in an ice storm. Jim Cantori was in my hotel. We were the only hotel with power but no TV. There were no restaraunts or stores open so someone was bringing hot pockets and crap like that to the hotel for guests. I had a smoking room so I was running contests to pick my next cigar for a couple days.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:

+1
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:

It it always a delight to have a BOTL such as yourself add on to a point I have made. You know I hold you in the highest regards. if you find yourself in my area again you are always welcome.

your point is very true. White mold is almost harmless. I only say "almost" because huge amounts won't be good. A sot or two... no prob.
  • Options
    madurofan:

It it always a delight to have a BOTL such as yourself add on to a point I have made. You know I hold you in the highest regards. if you find yourself in my area again you are always welcome.

your point is very true. White mold is almost harmless. I only say "almost" because huge amounts won't be good. A sot or two... no prob.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one and only Maduro. Ive only heard tales of such a BOTL. Welcome back.
  • Options
    kuzi16:

That was a good time. I'm hoping that we win that job out there, they're still wavering on if they even want to do it. I'd be happy to drive a couple hours to burn one with you again.

I still owe you some smokes too. I haven't forgotten I just misplace the thought occasionally and I procrastinate. I was waiting on my shop to get the F9 back in and some others. Then my dog had to go and blow her knee out $4000 later I'm not buying many cigars. :(

On a positive note the wife and I finally settled into a house we plan to stay in. 4 bedrooms plenty of space for a visitor from Ohio and his lovely wife to come see the mountains of Virginia, right in the heart of Virginia Wine and Beer Country.
  • Options
    Vision:
    The one and only Maduro. Ive only heard tales of such a BOTL. Welcome back.
    I can assure you that I've been seriously exaggerated. If Laker or the squirrel have said anything of me, you should know, they are liars.
  • Options
    NectarCigarNectarCigar Posts: 171
    Great info here! Thanks! I also have a good chuckle when I see some one's excited post or caption about plume on the cigar, most of the time the cigar is only a couple years old and they are still believing it is plume...funny to think they just smoked right through all the mold without even wiping it off, lol.
  • Options
    NectarCigar:
    Great info here! Thanks! I also have a good chuckle when I see some one's excited post or caption about plume on the cigar, most of the time the cigar is only a couple years old and they are still believing it is plume...funny to think they just smoked right through all the mold without even wiping it off, lol.
    While you are more than likely correct about the people you speak of not having plume. Plume is not exclusive too cigars that are 5, 10, 15 years old. It's possible to have plume on a 1 or 2 year old cigar. Remember in many cases the wrapper is much older than the cigar. It also depends on how oily the wrapper and how it is stored. I know one cigar I had, an ashton VSG, that had plume on it was barely a year. Fairly certain there is a picture of that on this here forum. Beautiful shining crystal from cap to foot.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    A couple weeks ago I was watching a video from Cigar.com about their older vintage cigars. They showed some sticks that were like 50 years old or something....and I swear I could see "Mold", not plume on those sticks (if I go by the info on this forum thread). They had white spots, just like in many of the pictures on this thread. I will try to post a link or a snapshot of those spots. Funny how a video from ccom would show spots just like mold while telling us how "smoke-able" those cigars really are.

and the video can be seen on ccom:

http://www.cigar.com/video/index.asp
    It's the second one from the top right now

So someone please tell me...is that Mold or Plume on those ccom cigars that they are selling????
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have only thrown a cigar away once...and owned several thousand over the years, That would be my second. That stick is sick.
  • Options
    it is verry difficult to tell on a video.
    however, there is another option that it could be. there could be spots on the wrapper. ill go through my collection and see if i can fi nd a current cigar with that type of spot on them.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    however, there is another option that it could be. there could be spots on the wrapper. ill go through my collection and see if i can fi nd a current cigar with that type of spot on them.
    I was thinking the same thing. In that video Alex talks about how curing techniques, quality control, etc was not what it is today. It could be staining or spots or any number of things. I remember reading a CA review where they reviewed a REALLY old cigar. 40 years or something. Anyways the commented on the staining left behind from previous mold spots. No OMG there was mold on this thing.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    I was thinking the same thing. In that video Alex talks about how curing techniques, quality control, etc was not what it is today. It could be staining or spots or any number of things. I remember reading a CA review where they reviewed a REALLY old cigar. 40 years or something. Anyways the commented on the staining left behind from previous mold spots. No OMG there was mold on this thing.
    After watching that video, I would revise my previous post and not toss that cigar out now that I know what it is... Probably just spots on the wrapper, age or other reasons mentioned above.. and smokers may have been less concerned with how the cigars looked then. I'd smoke it.
  • Options
    i dont have any in my humidor now but i have seen wrappers with spots on them that are clearly mineral deposits within the leaf.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bump...light spotty white stuff covering your sticks is not plume
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Bump...light spotty white stuff covering your sticks is not plume
    +1. Nicely done.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Hi Gents,

I want to thank all of you for your great information and was hoping you could help me out. Yesterday I purchased a box of cuban cigars and when I got home found that the majority if not all of them had mould growing on them. After reading your discussion it was clear that this was indeed mould and not plume. When I spoke with the man who sold them to me over the phone he assured me that it was plume without asking what it looked like or taking a look himself. I have photos and would like to post them but don't know how. Could anyone help me out with getting these pics up so I can get some feedback from you guys?
  • Options
    kholloway:
    Hi Gents, I want to thank all of you for your great information and was hoping you could help me out. Yesterday I purchased a box of cuban cigars and when I got home found that the majority if not all of them had mould growing on them. After reading your discussion it was clear that this was indeed mould and not plume. When I spoke with the man who sold them to me over the phone he assured me that it was plume without asking what it looked like or taking a look himself. I have photos and would like to post them but don't know how. Could anyone help me out with getting these pics up so I can get some feedback from you guys?
    First of all, Welcome!!

I'd be very skeptical of anyone who just assumes that it is plume, ESPECIALLY without inspecting the box!

Have you ever used photobucket or any other site like that? If not, you can set up an acct (free) and upload to the site by following instructions. Then just view the images in your album and paste the links here
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kholloway:
    Hi Gents, I want to thank all of you for your great information and was hoping you could help me out. Yesterday I purchased a box of cuban cigars and when I got home found that the majority if not all of them had mould growing on them. After reading your discussion it was clear that this was indeed mould and not plume. When I spoke with the man who sold them to me over the phone he assured me that it was plume without asking what it looked like or taking a look himself. I have photos and would like to post them but don't know how. Could anyone help me out with getting these pics up so I can get some feedback from you guys?
    Scroll down a little bit on this thread -- http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/71916.aspx -- look for the section titled "IMAGES". Should be what you're looking for.

Oh and BTW Welcome!!!
    Look around and stay a while ... and be sure to introduced yourself in the "Newbie Welcoming Thread".

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Here is a photo of a few of the cigars in a box I just purhcased. Can you boys weigh in on whether this is mold or plume?
  • Options
    Ok lets try this again...

• Options
    sorry this image is so small I'm just happy I was able to post it. If I could describe what your looking at it would be white fuzzy, web like, and three dimensional spots which from learning what you guys wrote means mold.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice on posting this pic. much appreciated
  • Options
    that is for sure mold.
    sorry about your luck. id talk to the dealer again to see what you can do. good luck man... im rootin for ya.