Home Cigar 101
Options

Mold vs Plume

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely mold. Too spotty. I hope you can get a refund, let us know how you do!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    It is difficult to determine from the picture but I think it is mold not the plume. please check the foot. If the mold is there then it is a bad.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I just saw another post on facebook of a person confusing mold and bloom. it made me wanna bump this thread. here i am, doing just that.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I just saw another post on facebook of a person confusing mold and bloom. it made me wanna bump this thread. here i am, doing just that.
    hahahahaaa yeah I see it a lot! And fake cc's I try to bite my tongue
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump time again. Just read on another thread someone state that you can wipe off plume. I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. You can wipe off mold sometimes but not plume. Right? I have not re-read this entire thread again just yet so forgive me if the answer is a few pages back in here somewhere. but I thought this was a great old thread that needed bumping. Lots of good info and pics. Lots of new guys need to see this.
  • Options
    plume and mold can be wiped off in the right situations. that is not an indicator of if it is mold or plume.
  • Options
    Bump for the noobs
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This noob found some fuzzy white mold on half a box of naked sticks recently. Just the foot. Clipped them. About three quarters of an inch off the end. Inspected them closely with a magnifying glass and they looked ok inside where I had clipped them. And they are smoking wonderfully. I searched a few threads here On the forum the day it happened. Thanks to all the info available on our wonderful forum I was able to remain calm and carry on. Yay forum!
  • Options
    Just to add but some pieces of plume can get almost the size of sugar crystals...this will more then likely be on the cap area of the cigar but it doesn't just come in a powder form! As long as it sparkles it's good
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    I am going to check each of my sticks right now that mold turns Cigar into old dog ***
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one of you more experianced guys can answer this. What humidity range is necessary for mold to grow? Logic would seem to be high humidity 70-75.
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    Maybe one of you more experianced guys can answer this. What humidity range is necessary for mold to grow? Logic would seem to be high humidity 70-75.
    really anything over 70%
  • Options
    I agree anything over 70% humidity has the potential for mold. but mold can also be transferred from other things once it is there. Rope is a very hard one to get rid of . I have a Q? on the shelf in a humi and the wood has a black area but is completely dried out no crusting of removal of the black wood is that old mold that has embedded into the wood ?
  • Options
    got pics?
    hard to tell without them. may even be hard to tell with them
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    imo it depends on the temp and humidity but honestly 70-70 has gotten me mold
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    70 to 98.3 even to the temp 0f 130 * for some molds technically mold and bacteria is killed at 14 0* or above unless it has formed a toxin. then no high temp will kill it. I will take a pic and show you my shelf
  • Options
    image Please tell what you think ? there is an outline of something but I do not have any mold on my sticks
  • Options
    that looks like some sort of color bleed. was it there when you got the humidor?
    did you try sanding it anywhere?
    does it run if it gets wet?

all the mold that i have seen on wood in humidors has been a bit spottier than that. like mildew spots. i could be wrong but i do not believe that this is mold.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    that looks like some sort of color bleed. was it there when you got the humidor?

all the mold that i have seen on wood in humidors has been a bit spottier than that. like mildew spots. i could be wrong but i do not believe that this is mold.
    +1

I'm inclined to agree with Kuzi here.

I had the same thing show up in my wood coolidor under a *red* colored oliva v box.
    Pretty sure the stain/color came from the box's exterior. I lightly sanded it off of the wood and moved the Oliva V box. Haven't seen any discoloration since.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:

+1

I'm inclined to agree with Kuzi here.

I had the same thing show up in my wood coolidor under a *red* colored oliva v box.
    Pretty sure the stain/color came from the box's exterior. I lightly sanded it off of the wood and moved the Oliva V box. Haven't seen any discoloration since.
    yes it was there when I got the humidor. it does not appear to run when I seasoned it. it was a used humi my mother got me. I cleaned it and seasoned it and working like a champ holding a steady 68 to 70 %
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Learned something today! thanks
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that a pile of Rocky Patels used to live there =)
  • Options
    Hey guys.. New to the forum and I came across this post and have a question. I have two cigars that I had in a travel case and believe they may have mold on them. I bought them a year ago in Punta Cana but I Just wanted to get some reassurance before I toss them out.. :( any advice would be much appreciated.. Thanks guys!

• Options
    looks like mold to me. though it is fairly evenly on the surface it looks like it is over the wrapper and has structure to it.

there is also no sparkle.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    looks like mold to me. though it is fairly evenly on the surface it looks like it is over the wrapper and has structure to it.

That's what I was afraid of.. Didn't want to throw them out since they are my last two Cubans.. Atleast its only two I guess. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it!
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jsav33:
    kuzi16:

That's what I was afraid of.. Didn't want to throw them out since they are my last two Cubans.. Atleast its only two I guess. Thanks for your advice I appreciate it!
    I don't think I would toss them out, most likely I would wipe em off and smoke them!
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had some on a couple of gifted Fuentes. Wiped them off and smoked them.
  • Options
    Jsav33:
    kuzi16:

this is another good reason to leave the cello on so no other sticks get affected
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    onestrangeone:
    Jsav33:
    kuzi16:

I don't think I would toss them out, most likely I would wipe em off and smoke them!

I think I will do that over the holiday this week! What's the worst that can happen lol
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Jsav33:
    kuzi16:

this is another good reason to leave the cello on so no other sticks get affected

Thankfully these were the only two sticks in the case.. But this brings me to another question. What are the pros and cons to leaving the cello on vs taking it off... Fairly new to the cigar world so just trying to gain some knowledge. I'm sure I could search the forum and find my answer lol