Home Cigar 101
Options

Mold vs Plume

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sexy as all hell Lee, bet those are smoking like solid gold!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Some old padron anny's...had to do some digging but what's left in the box is all nice and sparkly
    Nice  ......   Are those Diplomatico's? 
    @miller65rod they are the exclusivos
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Sexy as all hell Lee, bet those are smoking like solid gold!
    dont know yet...but I'll let ya know when I fire one up
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Ok not great pics but the best I can do at the moment. These are padron londres from July of 2013
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok not great pics but the best I can do at the moment. These are padron londres from July of 2013
    One of my favorites. I'm liking your collection, lee.  Those are a steal and good at first and fantastic if you let them set for a little while.  
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Uhhh @Lee.mcglynn those are not good to smoke.  For your health please box them up and send them to me.  I will make sure they are properly disposed of.
    Lol I know i should just throw them out. Ugh I hate shiny mold
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Too also make note on looking to buy. Go to your b&m find the ugliest most toothy wrapper and you should be set! If I want plume I can look at a wrapper and tell 9 out of 10 times it will plume at some point. Just remember as said it shows up the best under light at a angle so don't get dicuraged too soon
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does mold versus plume show up differently under UV light?  I have a UV flashlight somewhere that shows up various defects pretty well on green coffee beans.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Does mold versus plume show up differently under UV light?  I have a UV flashlight somewhere that shows up various defects pretty well on green coffee beans.
    Mold will show plume does not the big difference is one is shiny one is not
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Happy Sunday! New on this forum  just picked this up from Canada.. What ya think?

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Hard to tell, but looks Ike mold. The cedar sleeve and tubo adds to my suspicion too; they can cause problems with mold due to too little airflow and trapping moisture.

However, it is not bad at all. As long as the foot is all clear, wipe it off, keep the cedar off, and watch it or smoke soon.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    This is mold!! Do what you want but keep it at a low rh and low temp or just smoke now! Also always inspect your cigars before you buy them or this will happen a lot!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Thank you all! Did not expect this at all from a reputable shop :(. It may be ok to smoke but I really dont want to risk it. 
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all! Did not expect this at all from a reputable shop :(. It may be ok to smoke but I really dont want to risk it. 

Mid you don't want to smoke it, I'm sure there are several members here that would dispose of it for you.  :D

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    Contacted the store and waiting for their response..:( 

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely mold. Thats why i dont keep cigars in Cedar sleeves or tubes
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    That be mold and being a Tubo from a vendor it is common at times with CC's. Always inspect them.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    quicktwinturboquicktwinturbo Posts: 5
    edited October 2016
    I just got off the phone with the store and they assure me that this is "NORMAL" and it is indeed "plume".. I don't buy it.. They said mold cannot be white and checked other cigars in tubes and they are ALSO covered with same stuff.. LOL...Guess I won't buying any tube cigar from this place in winnipeg, Canada.  

Very disappointed.  
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a shop in the past tell me white and purple is always plume and it should start in the foot....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    quicktwinturboquicktwinturbo Posts: 5
    edited October 2016
    Bummer. Stores should know better and I guess it is my fault for not inspecting. But even if I did, I would have believe them.. lol.. Lesson learned.. Don't think they will issue a refund and it's not worth it for me to cross the boarder again for exchange. :( 
    Post edited by quicktwinturbo on
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same shop in question refused to refund, but the did allow me to trade it for a "plume free' stick.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer. Stores should know better and I guess it is my fault for not inspecting. But even if I did, I would have believe them.. lol.. Lesson learned.. Don't think they will issue a refund and it's not worth it for me to cross the boarder again for exchange. :( 
    Not worth the taxes they add on either. I would stop buying from this vendor. Mold is in the foot it seems so I wouldn't smoke it either unless u clip the foot before u smoke it.

This vendor needs edgeumakated.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    B&M are not always right I have a local shop here that has just a display humi and you can see the humidifier and here we have hard water and on the humidifier you can see that they are NOT using distilled water there is hard water white crust all over it .I saw that and walk right out and will not return there
  • Options
    Here's some padron panatelas I found with a nice dusting
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Necro bump. 

Another cigar forum is taking a scientific approach to the "mold vs plume" debate, and has approached a Mycologist to help with this project. 

I encourage everyone to follow the project as it progresses.  It looks like they have a solid approach and hopefully they get some good information & data and are able to draw some solid conclusions at the end of the project.  

Follow the project here:
    http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/129580-help-me-write-a-brief-for-a-mycologist/

More info about their "sample cigars" here:
    http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/topic/129722-calling-for-cigars-with-mouldplumebloom/

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread, thanks. Not sure about the blacklight claims, I've used a UV flashlight to look for mold on green coffee, but I could find little guidance on usage and the silverskin / chaff also lights up under UV light. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )