Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    ill see if i can go snag a 6 pack or something and hold on to it for you. Dec 5th isnt that far away. the beer wont go bad by then.
    Cool.. I'll bring you a couple cases of Schlitz ;)
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    ill see if i can go snag a 6 pack or something and hold on to it for you. Dec 5th isnt that far away. the beer wont go bad by then.
    Hey Hey Hey!

The Schlitz formula that made Milwaukee famous was discontinued some time back and was cheapened by new ownership...

But the Schlitz that was RE-Released a month ago, and only in BOTTLE form, is the high end recipe again and is supposed to be quite good...
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    Hey Hey Hey!

The Schlitz formula that made Milwaukee famous was discontinued some time back and was cheapened by new ownership...

But the Schlitz that was RE-Released a month ago, and only in BOTTLE form, is the high end recipe again and is supposed to be quite good...
    Actually, they reverted back to the old recipe more than 25 years ago, after the cheap-beer debacle, but they didn't market it as well. So now they've re-invigorated their marketing and are telling people that it's finally back. It's always been back. Try some in the old can. It's really good. I've been drinking it for more than 10 years.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Lasabar:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    Hey Hey Hey!

Actually, they reverted back to the old recipe more than 25 years ago, after the cheap-beer debacle, but they didn't market it as well. So now they've re-invigorated their marketing and are telling people that it's finally back. It's always been back. Try some in the old can. It's really good. I've been drinking it for more than 10 years.
    Well shut my mouth... I could've sworn that it was all over the news that the Can and Bottle are two different formulas... IT WAS ON T.V. and it hasn't lied to me yet!
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    dutyje:
    Lasabar:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    Hey Hey Hey!

Well shut my mouth... I could've sworn that it was all over the news that the Can and Bottle are two different formulas... IT WAS ON T.V. and it hasn't lied to me yet!
    :) That's mostly marketing. Although I'm sure there are some subtle differences. When Stroh bought Schlitz, they also bought the recipe and reverted back to the original process. This "recent research" is likely just talking to the people who brewed it back in the 60's and 70's, and using that input to re-perfect the recipe, rather than just adapt the existing recipe to their existing brewing processes.

I'm actually excited to try the "new" stuff, and really see how it compares to the stuff I've been drinking for years. I also wonder if offering it in bottles is another way to ensure there are taste differences between the "new" Schlitz and "old" Schlitz.
  • Options
    Since the Legend was such a let-down, I decided to chase it by sipping on some Nassau Royale. This is a nice dessert liqueur with a very sweet, fruity vanilla flavor. I'd forgotten about this stuff all summer long, as I've fallen in love with Pyrat XO. This is great on a warm summer evening, which this isn't. But it's still good all year round. I'm captivated by this Baylor/UConn game. I'm sure the rest of you are as well.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Grape Kool-Aid...

Ohh wait... Sorry... PURPLE kool-aid....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    rusirius:
    Grape Kool-Aid...
    And fried chicken? Maybe some watermelon? :)
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    rusirius:
    Grape Kool-Aid...

Three ingredients. Sugar. Water. Purple.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    rusirius:
    Grape Kool-Aid...

And cyanide...if you're Jim Jones.
  • Options
    urbino:
    rusirius:
    Grape Kool-Aid...

Great quote...

That shiznit was hilarious...

You all saw the SunnyD commercial where the black kid in the back was licking his lips and saying
    "mmmmm... purple stuff"

HA!
  • Options
    Harvest Moon by Blue Moon
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    What did you think of it? I picked up a 6 pack, I've drank 2 of them. It's certainly not a bad tasting beer, but I was expecting the pumpkin and spice flavors to be a little more prominent.
  • Options
    rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Scrambler:
    These Filthy Hands:
    What did you think of it? I picked up a 6 pack, I've drank 2 of them. It's certainly not a bad tasting beer, but I was expecting the pumpkin and spice flavors to be a little more prominent.
    Friend of mine owns a micro-brewery here in DE... Dogfish Head... He makes a "Pumpkin Ale" this time of year that's pretty tasty and let's a fair bit of the pumpkin taste come through... I'm really not a big beer fan, but I like to grab a couple of those while he's making 'em...
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I've had Dogfish Head before, but not their Pumpkin. I'll have to see if I can find it.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    Sam Adams Octoberfest and a glass of  Ron Zacapa rum.
  • Options
    Okay boys...

Packer game was of course Miller Lite (Hey, I don't like to stray from the 'ol faves')

But now I'm in the house on the forums with a two bottles of Delirium Tremens
    This stuff is pretty good. A true belgium with nice flavor and heavy on the wheat. The finer tastes like the quality over Miller Lite and the Alcoholic in me enjoy the 8.5% Alcohol content!
  • Options
    Also I forgot to mention the Brewery tour on friday...

Great from the Lakefront brewery I had their Light White beer (nice belgium white, kinda like a wispy Heffe-Weisen) and then their great Stein Beer (Dark and Nutty with a great head) and then some of their Pilsner... Very good with an almost pepper finish to it!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i drank a few out of a magic hat sampler. the number 9 of course... Circus Boy, its a Hefeweizen and reminds me of Sunset wheat but without the overly citrus flavor.
    the other one is Jinx. on the bottle it says : an ale inspired by the doctrines of midieval chemists. Its quite good. kinda has a coffee thing foing on. i have more of this one so ill tell ya more about it when i drink some more.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Was it the Election sampler?
  • Options
    i think so. it also had "participation ale" ... havent tried that yet.
  • Options
    Wasn't real impressed with the Participation ale, VERY peaty. The Jinx, circus boy and #9 are the best imho
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Also I forgot to mention the Brewery tour on friday...

Great from the Lakefront brewery I had their Light White beer (nice belgium white, kinda like a wispy Heffe-Weisen) and then their great Stein Beer (Dark and Nutty with a great head) and then some of their Pilsner... Very good with an almost pepper finish to it!

sounds great...i like anything with great head (it had to be said).
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i think so. it also had "participation ale" ... havent tried that yet.
    My Magic hat shirt still hasn't arrived yet. I'm getting impatient. I'm drinking another Harvest Moon. It's spiced but not overbearing. You get a little bit of a pumpkin after-taste that is quite pleasent. I also tasta a little bit of cinnamon. I enjoy it. It's better off of draft.
  • Options
    Last night was a bottle of Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio...

The name has two things that you think would taste horrible together, but it is one of my favorite wines!
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    Santa Margherita ... two things that you think would taste horrible together
    You've tasted Santa? i don't wanna know.

Last night was a few Guinesses while watching SD smack Favre around.
  • Options
    ok... i made a slight mistake before. Magic hat participation LAGER not ale. i just cracked one open. 3 in the afternoon... sunny, 75, doesnt get much better than that.

anyway, back to the beer.
    its fairly hopsy. more so than i expected. there is kind of a woody smokieness to it also. not bad. Im not sure that i would pick up a 6 pack of this. its worth a shot though.
  • Options
    Oaky? Oak monster in a beer?
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Stoogee:
    Sam Adams Octoberfest and a glass of  Ron Zacapa rum.
    Love Ron Zacapa Centenario. Just picked up a bottle of Goslings Family Reserve. Great stuff, but for the price difference, I'll be going back to the Zacapa again after the Goslings is gone. The Zacapa just as good (different body, just as smooth, a bit sweeter), but about 25 bucks cheaper.
  • Options
    I'm drinking a big fat glass of PTFTW!

Although, Rob's making me think about switching over to rum :)