Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    stepped outside my beer box this weekend for the first time in a while. I usually stick to Bud heavy, Coors original, Tecate, Pacifico, with the occassional Heineken or Stella throwin in and yes some highlife too when the mood for beer in a clear glass bottle strikes.

But I got the urge to try some sort of ale this weekend and ended up with Firestone DBA (double barrel ale) and it was solid. the beer guy who was stocking the shelves poitned me to them after asking what I liked and didn't like and what I was in the mood for, but it was definitely the label sold me on it. the freaking thing had a bear with a 6 pack (and yeah I mean abs) in a king-fu pose getting ready to fight a lion thats also standing on its hind legs. Love it. Turned out to be a really tasty ale too and perfect for what I felt like. Heavy by my standards, but not too heavy. It was still see through, which I like, but had a rich malty taste to it, but wasn't too sweet. Solid cold sunday afternoon beer.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it wasn't today, but Pyrat Rum has finally made it out here to the sticks, good stuff!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Not tonight, but last week I had Tactical Nuclear Penguin from Brewdog. I was very excited to get to try it. I never really expected to have the chance to try that one due to the state laws in regards to ABV for beer (this particular beer is 32% abv), due to the price ($100 for a 12 oz bottle), and due to it's extremely limited distribution. Thanks to the guys who generously shared with me!

Received a bottle of Firestone Walker Abacus and a bottle of Lost Abbey Framboise de Amarosa from a trade, so maybe one of them tonight.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    BStayer:
    Not tonight, but last week I had Tactical Nuclear Penguin from Brewdog. I was very excited to get to try it. I never really expected to have the chance to try that one due to the state laws in regards to ABV for beer (this particular beer is 32% abv), due to the price ($100 for a 12 oz bottle), and due to it's extremely limited distribution. Thanks to the guys who generously shared with me!

Received a bottle of Firestone Walker Abacus and a bottle of Lost Abbey Framboise de Amarosa from a trade, so maybe one of them tonight.
    I saw a bottle of this one time and my jaw dropped at the price...still had to force myself not to pull the trigger though. So...what did you think??
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Sticking with a cup of coffee for now, If I didnt have to work this afternoon I'd hits some home brews that the father in law has made. Guess it will just have to wait for later. Time to grab a refill and a stick from the humi and work on the boat before work calls.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    BStayer:

Received a bottle of Firestone Walker Abacus and a bottle of Lost Abbey Framboise de Amorosa from a trade, so maybe one of them tonight.
    I saw a bottle of this one time and my jaw dropped at the price...still had to force myself not to pull the trigger though. So...what did you think??
    I really expected to not like it, thought it would be too hot from the high alcohol. They aged it in 2 different Scotch barrels for up to 14 months and doing that really saved this beer. The aroma was actually very nice and had notes of chocolate, caramel, alcohol, vanilla, and some very nice scotch notes of peat, smoke, earth, and dirt. It was flat on the palate, no carbonation, and it was very hot. I could feel the heat as soon as it touched my lips. The heat really built up quickly and this was easily the hottest beer I’ve had yet. There were flavors of smoke and peat with caramel, even some vanilla and a small hint of chocolate as well. The heat made it hard to pick out some of the wood tannins, but the wood barrel did come out a little. The finish was very boozy, hot, and surprisingly sweet. Overall, I liked it quite a bit actually, much to my pleasant surprise.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    last night was Troegs Troegenator Doublebock.

this is one damn fine brewery.

their Pale ale was fantastic as well. I need to drink more of their stuff.
  • Options
    kuzi16:

Have you ever tried their Mad Elf Holiday Ale? It's a complete flavor bomb. It's pretty incredible and really surprised me when I had it. Good stuff!!

Tonight it's Bells Oberon followed a little later with DFH Festina Peche. Both are lightly fruity and really nice summer ales. I love beer!
  • Options
    BStayer:
    kuzi16:

Have you ever tried their Mad Elf Holiday Ale? It's a complete flavor bomb. It's pretty incredible and really surprised me when I had it. Good stuff!!
    nope but im gunna have to.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Had a wee nip of Plantation 20th Anniversary rum...fantastic rum. Very smooth, with a taste of butterscotch and vanilla with a nice spiciness on the back. Just pure excellence. I need a cask.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Guinness
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Miller Lite...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Shock Top Belgian White.. Got a twelve pack from a neighbor over the weekend. Nice beer on a real hot day, I liked it.
  • Options
    Miller Lite
  • Options
    90s trivial pursuit and beer.

gunna be a good night... thirsty dog sampler pack.

right now, Hoppus Maximus.
    ill keep ya updated as the night rolls on.
  • Options
    now on to twisted kilt...
  • Options
    Allagash Tripel Reserve. An absolutely beautiful beer! One of the better Abbey Tripels I've had. I wonder...what kind of cigar would pair with a beer that has a creamy mouthfeel, tastes of bananas, apples, passion fruit, laced with clove, and has a nice dry finish. Any ideas?
  • Options
    kuzi16:

Do you like Hoppus Maximus?
  • Options
    BStayer:
    kuzi16:

its good. reminds me of the hops in an IPA minus some of the citrus but still not overly bitter. the bitter that is there is clean and smooth.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    BStayer:
    kuzi16:

its good. reminds me of the hops in an IPA minus some of the citrus but still not overly bitter. the bitter that is there is clean and smooth.
    For an amber style ale, it's extremely hoppy but has a big caramel and toffee malt backbone that helps to keep the bitterness down. I was just curious as to whether you had a taste for it. Sounds like you can enjoy most any style.
  • Options
    Miller Lite... Trying to drink fast, church is at 8am tomorrow!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Firestone double barrel ale. Even better from the tap!
  • Options
    Ran out of "COLD" Miller Lite... So switching to one bottle of Goose Island Summertime (Awesome Kolsch) and then rounding out with a Leinenkugel Honey Weiss!
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    water, blueberry green & white tea w/honey, black tea, and lemon green tea with honey. Yep that's it
  • Options
    I have a 24 pack of Miller Motherphucking Lite in the freezer...

Hopefully I can muster up enough repressed child sex abuse memories to down enough Miller Lite to Give ENFIDL the phreak show he has come accustomed to!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Quit letting those children sexually abuse you Lassy...I'm telling you man, you're bigger than them, except for that one kid with gigantism...so just kick him in the balls.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Quit letting those children sexually abuse you Lassy...I'm telling you man, you're bigger than them, except for that one kid with gigantism...so just kick him in the balls.
    I'm TRYING!!! But some of them are GIRLS! What do I kick THEN!?!?!?
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    I have a 24 pack of Miller Motherphucking Lite in the freezer...

Hopefully I can muster up enough repressed child sex abuse memories to down enough Miller Lite to Give ENFIDL the phreak show he has come accustomed to!
    FINALLY! I've been so deprived!
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    j0z3r:
    I'm TRYING!!! But some of them are GIRLS! What do I kick THEN!?!?!?
    FALCON PUNCH!
  • Options
    Miller Lite... Thought I'd give it a try tonight... So far... Not Bad