Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    The wife brought home a brew I don't know from a brewery I never heard of, an IPA from Roscoe's Hop House Craft Ale. Really REALLY good. 6 bucks for a 6-pack and I'd easily pay 10.

She also brought home some Blue Point Winter Ale. We both stopped drinking it once I picked out the strange flavor in there to be really close to flat cola...blech.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Hosted a beer tasting over the weekend and had about 15-20 people show up.

Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown

Rob, what did you think of the Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown? I found it in a Leiney's Explorer Pack a couple of years ago. The following year drove to Vegas and picked up 6 cases. Used some in making a turkey chili and it added a great flavor to it.

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Miller Lite
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Miller Lite
    I now know why you always drink Miller Lassie.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Lasabar:
    Miller Lite
    Did your step dad touch you too?
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    JSaint:
    Lasabar:
    Miller Lite
    Did your step dad touch you too?
    LOL no but Chris did share the story with me.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    JSaint:
    Awesome Rob. I had some Dales Pale Ale today.
    Nice! I gave that the nickname Can o' Nickels. And I mean that in the BEST possible way...
    I still need to try their other beers. They are going to be releasing pint sized cans soon I believe.
  • Options
    Went to dinner with the wife tonight and had a Sam Adams Chocolate Cherry Bock. It tasted just like chocolate covered cherries, a wonderful desert beer.
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    Went to dinner with the wife tonight and had a Sam Adams Chocolate Cherry Bock. It tasted just like chocolate covered cherries, a wonderful desert beer.
    +1 to that. Had it an an Old Chicago out here. Was way better than their Chocolate Bock.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Rob, what did you think of the Leinenkugel Fireside Nut Brown? I found it in a Leiney's Explorer Pack a couple of years ago. The following year drove to Vegas and picked up 6 cases. Used some in making a turkey chili and it added a great flavor to it.
    That was one of the few I didn't get to that night but I have a few left in the fridge. I'll try one soon and post thoughts.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Last night I had some Glenmorangie Astar. I haven't touched that bottle in a long time - I forgot how good it is.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Just trying to get into scotch, bought some Clan MacGregor, I like it. not expensive at all $9.00 for a bottle. Once I'm finished wit it I might buy something more expensive.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Glenmorangie Original... They aren't lying when they talk about how amazing the nose is on this whisky.
  • Options
    Founders Double Trouble
  • Options
    A LOT lately:

Picked up the Glenmorangie Artein - finished in Tuscan Wine Barrels. It's surprisingly light and the wine barrel influence doesn't really show through until the finish where it provides wood tannin structure more-so than fruit notes. Still a solid release from them.

Got together with a few friends who treated me to a Portsmouth Brewery Kate the Great (look it up - rated one of the best beers in the world) vertical tasting. 10 bottles in total - 06, 07, 07 double oak, 08, 09, 09 double oak, 10, 10 double oak, 11 and 11 double oak. Got to meet the brewer, Todd - great guy, and a couple of Stone Brewing Reps as Portsmouth (owned by Smuttynose) and Stone were collaborating on Custer's Last Stand.

These beers are absolutely amazing with notes of chocolate, coffee, earth, hops, molasses, maple and dark, ripe fruit. The younger double oaked bottles (only 46 bottles are released each year) brought notes of fresh oak to the bouquet, giving it a rich, red wine type of texture. For any beer geek, this is one to go on the bucket list. I'll be standing in line on March 5th (Kate Day) to try this stuff on tap. Gotta thank Joe and Stan for this opportunity.

Last night I tried the new Dogfish Head Ta Henket - not impressed - tasted like it was brewed with red beans; and their Black & Red - even worse - brewed with mint, tastes like sucrets.

Also went to another industry wine tasting last week for Burgundy wines. I'll find my notes and post those soon. Some unreleased stuff, some amazing stuff, some exclusive stuff, some incredibly expensive stuff.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Last night I started with making something I call a sapphire gimletini - 2 shots Bombay Sapphire, 3 shots Tito's vodka, splash of dry vermouth, put in shaker, lightly shaken, strained into a chilled martini glass, skewer two cocktail olives and two cocktail onions, sit back and enjoy. Then followed later with a couple glasses of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban scotch.
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Just trying to get into scotch, bought some Clan MacGregor, I like it. not expensive at all $9.00 for a bottle. Once I'm finished wit it I might buy something more expensive.
    . If you want to try scotch, I would recommend getting a bottle of Balvenie 12 yr old Double Wood. I can normally find it around here for $36 to $42 a bottle which is about the lowest I will pay for a bottle of scotch. Plus I find the Balvenie a "best buy". Its complex, and hits its stride with just a small splash of water to open it up. I like Highland over Islay region scotch whiskys. A cheap scotch whisky will often turn people off of scotch and is like going out for a high end steak with friends and bringing a McDonalds hamburger.
  • Options
    Last night had a Sierra Nevada Wet Hop and Ruthless Rye IPA. Jealous of you again Rob. Ive been wanting Kate the Great for a long time. I know I will probably never get it though because of the rarity lol.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    SaVas:
    roland_7707:
    . If you want to try scotch, I would recommend getting a bottle of Balvenie 12 yr old Double Wood. I can normally find it around here for $36 to $42 a bottle which is about the lowest I will pay for a bottle of scotch. Plus I find the Balvenie a "best buy". Its complex, and hits its stride with just a small splash of water to open it up. I like Highland over Islay region scotch whiskys. A cheap scotch whisky will often turn people off of scotch and is like going out for a high end steak with friends and bringing a McDonalds hamburger.
    I second Balvenie as a scotch brand, the 12 YO Doublewood is amazing, I've got about half a bottle left and it's a great value.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    oronoco rum ...... tasty
  • Options
    One pot of coffee; one diet Pepsi, and three glasses of water so far. The trials of getting up every Sunday and Monday at 1am for work and working 12+ hour days. Though, if I get out of here by 3pm today, I'm going home and pouring a stiff glass of Buffalo Trace bourbon and hoping I have enough time for a cigar.
  • Options
    That reminds me I need to pick up another bottle of Buffalo Trace ... name sounds kinda funny but it is gooooooood !!!
  • Options
    Sam Adams White Water IPA and Sam Adams Dark Lager.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Discovered Kane brewery this weekend. Unfortunately they currently only sell kegs and I don't know how far they transport. But if you're in Asbury Park or anywhere on the jersey shore, hunt them down, you won't be disappointed.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Fat Tire ...
  • Options
    pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    had a glass of Apothic Red
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    a lot of water!!! drank a fifth of jameson last night, ugh
  • Options
    My last Dundee Oktoberfest..........
  • Options
    Last night I had the Stone collaboration: Green Tea IPA - very nice IPA but the green tea doesn't come out until it warms a bit.

Recently had Gail's Prize Old Ale (brewed in 1996) - much like a dry sherry, notes of dried fruit, grain and yeast with no notable hop notes or bitterness, no carbonation at all and a very dry finish. Very interesting vintage ale.
  • Options
    Kicking back with a glass of Ron Zacapa 23 yo Solera rum, and a 5 Vegas AAA.