Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Thanks, Ken. I'll pick one up next time I hit up the beer store and crack it soon. It sounded interesting and I've heard some good things so far. The next big one I'm waiting for is the Firestone Walker 15.
    I just got one of those. $18 for the freakin thing! But it sounds absolutely amazing. Also picked up a Mikkeller Hop Breakfast and an Ommegang Aphrodite. And atm I am drinking a Sam Adams Boston Lager. mmm
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Had a Sam Adams Vixen chocolate chili bock last night. That's right, chocolate chili...

Funny story, I had the idea to do a chocolate chili stout or bock a year or two ago and everyone I tried to get to do it with me laughed...now Stone put out a chili belgian white and sam adams a chocolate chili bock...anyway...

I love their chocolate bock so this seemed like a no-brainer. It was good, I'll give it that, but not great. Just not enough chili, they could've gone a little further with it, felt like they pulled the punch at the last minute. Oh well.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    kuzi16:

tonight im drinking Winter Ale by Mt. Caramel Brewing Company.

Mt. Caramel is my neck of the woods. Haven't had it yet, any good?
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Ken Light:
    Had a Sam Adams Vixen chocolate chili bock last night. That's right, chocolate chili...

Funny story, I had the idea to do a chocolate chili stout or bock a year or two ago and everyone I tried to get to do it with me laughed...now Stone put out a chili belgian white and sam adams a chocolate chili bock...anyway...

I love their chocolate bock so this seemed like a no-brainer. It was good, I'll give it that, but not great. Just not enough chili, they could've gone a little further with it, felt like they pulled the punch at the last minute. Oh well.
    Rogue has had a chipotle ale out for a few years. Kind of interesting to get that slight pepper tingle when drinking a good beer.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    I just got one of those. $18 for the freakin thing! But it sounds absolutely amazing. Also picked up a Mikkeller Hop Breakfast and an Ommegang Aphrodite. And atm I am drinking a Sam Adams Boston Lager. mmm
    Did you get the Firestone 15 for $18? I'd expect to pay that for that beer. Their anniversary blends generally go for around that price. It's a blend of 8 different beers and based on my experience with the 14, Parabola and Abacus, their beers are worth it. They're kind of the Opus or Padron anniversary of beer. Great now, pricey but worth it for a special treat and they'll age exceptionally well.

And Great Divide puts out a Chocolate Stout with chillis in it and it's got some kick.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, the hunt begins at once! LoL
  • Options
    Might have to set up a "collectible bottle" trade around here lol
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    JSaint:
    Did you get the Firestone 15 for $18? I'd expect to pay that for that beer. Their anniversary blends generally go for around that price. It's a blend of 8 different beers and based on my experience with the 14, Parabola and Abacus, their beers are worth it. They're kind of the Opus or Padron anniversary of beer. Great now, pricey but worth it for a special treat and they'll age exceptionally well.

And Great Divide puts out a Chocolate Stout with chillis in it and it's got some kick.
    ya it was 18 for the anniv. Wish I could find more of their beer out here.
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    Might have to set up a "collectible bottle" trade around here lol
    lol i would be down.
  • Options
    I'm up for it..
  • Options
    Just had the Stone 11 on tap. Much betterthan the 10. the cinnamon came through but I didn't get the chilli. Sampled the Troeg's Mad Elf. Definite sweetness butnice, complex brew. A barrel Aged stout who's name escapes me but had tons of burnt caramel notes. Finally finished with my own fall creation that I gave the bar tender the recipe and after trying it, she made one for her manager. Might end up on the menu. I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.
  • Options
    just gonna say hate you Rob =p lol im just kidding. Tonight had a Mikkeller Hop Breakfast, Bells Hell hath no fury, Sierra Nevada Tumbler, some more Stone Vert 11, and Sam Adams IIPA. The SA wasnt too bad. Very caramel-ly tho.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Just had the Stone 11 on tap. Much betterthan the 10. the cinnamon came through but I didn't get the chilli. Sampled the Troeg's Mad Elf. Definite sweetness butnice, complex brew. A barrel Aged stout who's name escapes me but had tons of burnt caramel notes. Finally finished with my own fall creation that I gave the bar tender the recipe and after trying it, she made one for her manager. Might end up on the menu. I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.
    I definitely got the chili, but you know, the stuff bottle-ages, so even the time it was in the bottle already might have made a difference over going straight to a keg where it cannot age at all.

And hell yeah, post that recipe.
  • Options
    Everyone's pallet is different. If you want a definite chili heat, try that Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. The recipe:

1 oz Apple Cider (cinnamon apple cider works best if you have it)
    1.5 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
    1 oz Amaretto
    0.5 oz Scotch (I've used Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 - look for something highland/speyside so it's not too smokey)
    2-3 dashes Angostura Bitters
    Lemon Peel

We were also discussing another recipe but never got around to making it. Something with the apple cider, Canton Ginger Liqueur, Sailor Jerry's Rum, probably Angostura Bitters and an orange peel. We didn't get to work out amounts though.
  • Options
    Wow, that's really inventive. I gotta try it someday soon, got no bitters though.
  • Options
    Thanks, Ken! Angostura bitters are cheap and the bottle goes a long way. Bitters are one of those essential micro ingredients in your cocktail. Like that little dash of something to make your dish really pop.

In this one, the apple cider lays the base, the rum adds some sweet, molasses notes, the amaretto tames and rounds out the drink with more fruit and some nutty notes, the scotch adds just a touch of smoke without overpowering, the bitters add depth and warming spice (Angostura have a definite clove like note to them) and the lemon peel adds a bright, citrusy note to the whole drink.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    sippin on some Jameson Distillery reserve... got this when the wife and I went to Ireland in May... good stuff... but I got to have my bigass ice cube too!

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I was just on my way to pour a little Jameson myself... Like minded I guess.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Would highly recommend Life and Limb, a collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. A smooth carmely, malty ale beauty. One of the coolest labels I've ever seen too.
  • Options
    gripnrip:
    Would highly recommend Life and Limb, a collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. A smooth carmely, malty ale beauty. One of the coolest labels I've ever seen too.
    Was definitely a good strong ale. I think it would age awesomely too.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    right now im drinking FOUNDERS - BREAKFAST STOUT

im really starting to love this brewery.
    its difficult to describe how much i enjoy what they produce. I hope they all become rich beyond their wildest dreams.
  • Options
    I've still got a bit over a case of Hofbrau Oktoberfest so I've been working on that... and loving each and every one.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    sippin on some Jameson Distillery reserve... got this when the wife and I went to Ireland in May... good stuff... but I got to have my bigass ice cube too!

Is this the one that is made each year specifically for sale at the distillery? If so, I have a bottle of it from 2005 that I have yet to open.
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    A couple shots each:
    imageimage
  • Options
    Founders is a pretty amazing brewery. Look for their KBS when it comes out this winter. It's the breakfast stout aged in bourbon barrels for a year. Just recently picked up a CBS through a liquor store connection. Stuff was super limited. Haven't cracked it yet but soon.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Founders is a pretty amazing brewery. Look for their KBS when it comes out this winter. It's the breakfast stout aged in bourbon barrels for a year. Just recently picked up a CBS through a liquor store connection. Stuff was super limited. Haven't cracked it yet but soon.
    Dangit Rob that CBS was something I really wanted to try too but no one near me received any. Makin me jealous. Lol
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my local bar had some on tap and it was amazing. i now have a few bottles in the fridge.
  • Options
    They used to be damn near impossible to find.. They've reallly branched out in areas that it's getting distribution in.. Love Founders.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    Dangit Rob that CBS was something I really wanted to try too but no one near me received any. Makin me jealous. Lol
    Most of the liquor stores around me only got 2 or 3 bottles but I have good connections at a few local shops and managed to have a buddy at one of the shops who got 2 bottles hold one for me.

Last night we had Blue Hills Brewery's Three Peak Holiday Stout - solid stout but didn't wow either of us. Next was Pretty Things Brewery's Babayaga Stout - again, not bad but not wow. Sunday night we had the Pretty Things Barley Wine (can't remember the name) and that was really good. Not Firestone Abacus good, but then again, nothing's quite Firestone Abacus good.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    JSaint:
    Most of the liquor stores around me only got 2 or 3 bottles but I have good connections at a few local shops and managed to have a buddy at one of the shops who got 2 bottles hold one for me.

Last night we had Blue Hills Brewery's Three Peak Holiday Stout - solid stout but didn't wow either of us. Next was Pretty Things Brewery's Babayaga Stout - again, not bad but not wow. Sunday night we had the Pretty Things Barley Wine (can't remember the name) and that was really good. Not Firestone Abacus good, but then again, nothing's quite Firestone Abacus good.
    Well I was hoping my stores here would get some because they were talking about it but nothing happened. Sucks. One of my stores is running a lotto for bottles of King Henry and Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island. Hopefully I get pulled.