Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What's for dinner?

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Markwell said:
    A lot of the farmers down on the eastern shore used to sell field greens, dandelion included. They also eat muskrat sooo.......
    During WWII, we ate a number of things that were slightly out of the ordinary. Meat was one of the things that was rationed. Folks were allowed a certain number of ration ‘chips’ and/or stamps monthly for different things. 

If you ran out of meat ration chips along about the end of the month, there were stores that sold non-rationed meats like horse and goat meat. We ate both. My dad had a friend who used to go hunting and would sometimes give us some of what he killed. 

Dad brought something home one day that his friend had given him. My mom cleaned and cooked it for dinner. Dad told us it was ‘swamp squirrel’. Later, he admitted it was muskrat. I asked why he didn’t say so in the first place and he said it was because he didn’t think we’d eat it if we heard the “rat” on the end of the word. We didn’t find anything objectionable about it. 

In a pinch, a number of herbivores are good candidates for a meal - woodchuck, porcupine, squirrel, rabbit, etc. 

And as for field greens, my mom used to gather dandelion as well as mustard greens and collard greens. Mostly we ate those boiled like spinach. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:

And as for field greens, my mom used to gather dandelion as well as mustard greens and collard greens. Mostly we ate those boiled like spinach. 
    Boiled, hey?  Are saying fire was already discovered when you were a youngin'?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    jlmarta said:

Boiled, hey?  Are saying fire was already discovered when you were a youngin'?
    Fire? Yeah, I think that’s what they called it. Or maybe it was Ooo, ouch. I don’t recall.......  :p
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw a ham hock in for flavor.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Chicken guy tiew... It's exactly like pho but it has stronger flavors and is Thai.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tuesday's dinner.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    63Pro63Pro Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Wow! Looks awesome bro!
    No one ever learned anything by doing right the first time!
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63Pro said:
    Wow! Looks awesome bro!
    Thanks......I just ate some.....Now the key board is sticky ( Yes I know I just left myself wide open on that one.  :) )
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicken Paprikash with rice and peas, stewed strawberries & rhubarb over custard.
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mother would make kick as s rhubarb tart and put a little ice cream or wiped cream on top.....I haven't had it in about 30+ years....I will ask her for the recipe tomorrow....Thanks for bringing that back to my memory.   
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chinese take out.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boss lady made home made lasagna. Yum!
    So that means next week, I get left over lasagna to take to work.
    Nothing better than being 40 miles from no where and eating leftover lasagna. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went out and had Hibachi 
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Ever since I installed a 3000 watt inverter and microwave in my service truck, my lunches are a whole lot better. LOL!
    I demand pic of microwave, very bad@ss, yes I’m drunk 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    LOL! OK. Wednesday when I get back to work, I'll get a pic and post it up.
    Just for you. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    0patience said:
    Ever since I installed a 3000 watt inverter and microwave in my service truck, my lunches are a whole lot better. LOL!
    When I was long haul driving I ditched my passenger seat and built a small kitchenette in its place. I had the biggest mini fridge I could buy, crock pot, single burner electric hot plate, coleman grill, and a recipe book of things I could make with my limited resources. I ate better than any other driver I knew. Certainly better than cold sandwiches and chips or a grease bomb from any of the chain places
    Post edited by Captain_Call on
  • Options
    Here is my compartment with the inverter and microwave. 
    It makes thinks so much nicer up on a mountain 40 miles from nowhere.
    I even have a little coffee maker I take in the winter.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    @0patience, Damn man that super inverter is bigger than the microwave LOL
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    TX98Z28 said:
    There is a lot to be said for being able to use heavy grinders, pipe threading machines and such in the middle of nowhere. Having a good inverter allows me to do alot without running my welder, which produces the same amount of AC power, but I'd noisy as hell.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    There is a lot to be said for being able to use heavy grinders, pipe threading machines and such in the middle of nowhere. Having a good inverter allows me to do alot without running my welder, which produces the same amount of AC power, but I'd noisy as hell.
    How many amps can that thing push? Good lord bet it’s a lot. Bet that trucks running some serious alternators too!
  • Options
    180 amp alternator, 4 batteries.
    Batteries are 650 amp each with 900 cranking amps, so jump starting a dump truck or loader isn't a problem. 
    The inverter puts out 3000 watts, so for an hour, with my truck off, I can run most of a house. With my truck running, 3 hours maxed. but grinders and that, I can run all day with no problems. 

One of the trucks I just set up has a 5000 watt inverter with four 1200 watt batteries. It uses a boring machine, so that motor draws a lot of power.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    @0patience how does the bucket head work?  I need a shop vac but I won't use it all the time and wondered if those were worth it.  I'm especially interested in its performance with wet stuff and liquid.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel said:
    @0patience how does the bucket head work?  I need a shop vac but I won't use it all the time and wondered if those were worth it.  I'm especially interested in its performance with wet stuff and liquid.
    It works pretty good.
    It's inexpesive and if you ruin the bucket with soot, oil or something like that, you can toss it and get a new one.
    It's no high dollar shop vac, but most of what I use it for is vacuuming out loaders, backhoes and big trucks and vacuuming coolant out of engine cylinders. For the $20, if I ruin it, not out much and it saves me loads of time.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Pizza with a hint of Hickory. Yum!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire roasted green pepper and grilled Italian sausage in white sauce over 4 cheese tortellini