Home General Discussion
Options

What Booze Did You Get Today?

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20:
    Man, page 3? We've been slacking! Was a good day for us. Ran out of Elijah Craig so picked up some more. And everyone else has Zaya and I love rum, so figured might as well try it!
    Awesome pickups Kelly!! I've bought several things recently too but none for myself hahaga. Picked up a couple bottles for other BOTL's to help them locate stuff and shipped out to them, and bought a little something for a surprise smack down on another brother but none recently for me. I am desperately trying to locate a bottle of the Colonel EH Taylor Cured Oak as that's the one thing that I'm allowed to buy right now, but I cannot find it in any state right now. If ANYONE finds some please let me know!!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Soooooooo Bevmo happened in my town... Thus far, I've been there three times. Four roses, larceny, bulliet ten, knob creek barrel aged, Buck, and makers 46 have all been added to the bourbon collection. Still need to try the Elijah and 1792.
    I have a feeling that once you try the 1792 and let it breath for a week or two in the bottle that will turn into one of your favs hands down, especially based on the price too. Great pickups though Dustin ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    catfishbluezz:
    Soooooooo Bevmo happened in my town... Thus far, I've been there three times. Four roses, larceny, bulliet ten, knob creek barrel aged, Buck, and makers 46 have all been added to the bourbon collection. Still need to try the Elijah and 1792.
    I have a feeling that once you try the 1792 and let it breath for a week or two in the bottle that will turn into one of your favs hands down, especially based on the price too. Great pickups though Dustin ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, love the Elijah Craig, 1792 is still on my list. Maybe it'll be next!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Got a second bottle of Elijah Craig 12 yesterday and picked up something new called Old Weller Antique 107, it's a bit hot neat, but I dig it
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, thanks to you all, I know have a bottle of Four Roses (on sale here for $35), a bottle of Very Old Barton (a fine bourbon for the price), and a bottle of Green Spot Irish Whiskey.

I may as well learn about this whiskey and bourbon thing you guys enjoy so much.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    peter4jc:
    Well, thanks to you all, I know have a bottle of Four Roses (on sale here for $35), a bottle of Very Old Barton (a fine bourbon for the price), and a bottle of Green Spot Irish Whiskey.

I may as well learn about this whiskey and bourbon thing you guys enjoy so much.
    All great choices Peter hope you enjoy them, I haven't had the green spot but the two others I love :)
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Got a second bottle of Elijah Craig 12 yesterday and picked up something new called Old Weller Antique 107, it's a bit hot neat, but I dig it
    Nice Spencer great grabs!
  • Options
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Angels Envy is good. I am sure the purist bourbon drinkers might argue, but damn tasty.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    That Angels Envy is good. I am sure the purist bourbon drinkers might argue, but damn tasty.

I'm enjoying it so far. It's got a smooth finish to it and maybe a little bit of sweetness.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Edna20:
    rsherman24:

I'm enjoying it so far. It's got a smooth finish to it and maybe a little bit of sweetness.
    Man that is good stuff I killed off my bottle a while back and need to replace it, glad you found it that's great stuff!
  • Options
    Eastern Bunny surprised me and came through in spades :)

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I done went and did it
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    reggie713:
    I done went and did it
    Great choice Reggie!
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    Love that Angel's Envy, great grab JD :)
  • Options
    Got blown up by Justin with some Eagle Rare 10 year Single Barrel and a bottle of Very Old Barton! Then John crushed me with some beer and Stogies, and I picked up some Hibiki Japanese whiskey and located one of the last bottles of Old Weller Antique 107 that I could locate in CO. It's been a good day Tater ;)

• Options
    My new everyday drinker when I reach for barrel proof... holy cats this stuff is GOOD and what a price point too!

• Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    photo 14080652-3290-43AB-99C1-1EA5DDAEA078_zps3210h75e.jpg
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    My new everyday drinker when I reach for barrel proof... holy cats this stuff is GOOD and what a price point too!

I am starting to worry about you. Maybe I will visit and help you drink all that nasty stuff. Its the least I can do.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Got this a few days ago, my new daily drinker:

Untitled
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    90+ Irishman:

I am starting to worry about you. Maybe I will visit and help you drink all that nasty stuff. Its the least I can do.
    LOL always welcome ;)
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Got this a few days ago, my new daily drinker:

Untitled
    Very nice man, heard good things :)
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Yeah, me too and I'm very happy with the results, good stuff!

I have a Four Roses question to throw out there: my local liquor store has two lines of 4R, a small batch and a single barrel. Neither of them has the recipe written anywhere on it. I've looked all over all the bottles on two separate occasions and they are not written anywhere. How can I tell what I'm buying. I'm reluctant to just wing it since I'm not a big fan of rye. I'd prefer the wheatier recipe. Thanks!
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I looked back in the thread a bit because I remembered Justin answering this when I had gotten my Single Barrel.

JHewey:
    jimmyv723:
    JHewey:
    Edna20:
    Where do you find the mashbill on it? Sorry, I'm sure that's in a thread somewhere but I don't recall seeing it. I know the breakout of codes is in the whiskey thread, but not sure which I have.
    You have the standard (100 proof) single barrel, which will always be OBSV. As does jimmy but in jimmys case the store he bought from hand picked their barrel

Thanks for the info on that and it makes sense. I think I just had some info from the Small Batch and Single Barrel mixed up.
    Four roses small batch uses 4 of the 10 recipes. It uses OBSO, OBSK, OESK, and OESO.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    And here is the list of the various MBs that Justin had posted in the NCR forum a while back too...

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    bigharpoon:
    90+ Irishman:
    Yeah, me too and I'm very happy with the results, good stuff!

I have a Four Roses question to throw out there: my local liquor store has two lines of 4R, a small batch and a single barrel. Neither of them has the recipe written anywhere on it. I've looked all over all the bottles on two separate occasions and they are not written anywhere. How can I tell what I'm buying. I'm reluctant to just wing it since I'm not a big fan of rye. I'd prefer the wheatier recipe. Thanks!
    Jimmy posted the answer right above me, long story short the small batch isn't a recipe since it is blended of many barrels to get the same profile consistently year after year. The single barrel though depends, if it's the normal 100 proof single barrel then as Justin and Jimmy have above its OBSV. While I haven't had just the normal single barrel I do have 3 bottles of Single Barrel Barrel Proof which is my preferred proofing. I have in the American Whiskey/Biurbon world, 3 fav distilleries that I will buy pretty much anything they put out; 1) Buffalo Trace, 2) Wild Turkey and 3) Four Roses.

I do tend towards the 100-140 proof range as often as I can, I enjoy the burn so long as it's reasonable and refined plus I like the bolder, richer and more decadent profiles I get from most barrel proofs. I never believed in my life I'd say this but honestly anymore when I drink something below 100 proof neat (how I drink all liquor anymore to be frank) it really seems weak and watered down to me lately lol.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies fellas, that is great information! I'm a ways off from my next bottle of bourbon since I am predominately a Scotch/Tequila drinker but it sure is fun to window shop all the while.

The Russell's Reserve I have now as a change of pace drink is quite nice, fairly complex and at the price point it is a good value. I really like Wild Turkey's offerings.

The Old Pulteney I'm drinking is excellent and if anyone is looking for a high quality, complex under the radar Scotch or a bottle which is very unique to change it up I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    had to go and get some after hearing youall talk it up! four roses photo output_zpsro9p8sso.jpg
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagles Rare. Templeton Rye.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis