Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend brought me back a bottle from Ireland. Shared a few drams with peers at work. Yum!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Grabbed this one this afternoon, gonna open it tonight
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    My favorite bourbon
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    A co worker brought back this from Taiwan. He was very generous and shared some pours this afternoon. A unique one for sure, fantastic lingering finish

• Options
    If anyone has a bead on Woodford Reserve Frosty Four Wood, please PM me details

-Jay
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    I love blantons we just have the regular Woodford down here. I have only been given 1 shot of Blantons I took the rest. My brutha in law was pissed

"Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    If anyone has a bead on Woodford Reserve Frosty Four Wood, please PM me details

-Jay
    @jarubla
    My dad lives about an hour from Woodford in KY. I'll see if he has a lead on some.
  • Options
    Thank you @MikeTodd
  • Options
    Playing a bit of catchup. In the last week I finally nabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare, a bottle of MaCallan, and a bottle of Oban. 

Jus' doin' my part for the children's lunch money in my state...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I flushed my flask of the last of the Bulleit Bourbon yesterday and filled it up with Four Roses small batch.  The Four Roses is smoother and easier to drink than the Bulleit, I've been enjoying it.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    I guess I got to quit drinking rot gut bourbon and cut back on my cas so I can buy some of these highly Groovy names I read here. No mater what a 5th has a life span of 2 to 3 days in my house. Let me hold back on logging into auctions for 1 week then visit the real liquor store and see what's available. I wish I could find some cool stuff with horses on the cap. My brother in law shared a bottle of that last weekend. We emptied it.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

That is Blantons Nola. Should be about 60 a bottle. Good stuff!

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Four Roses and Angels Envy.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Pretty good, actually. 

$20/bottle IIRC. 
  • Options
    A couple of unicorns. Tasted the one on the right (pretty dam4ed smooth) and the one on the left gets to come home with me.

As Bill Murray would say: 'Suntory Time'

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to drink at work...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

Got the weekend off some how. Gonna start in on some of this. It was on clearance. Hope it sips well.
  • Options
    It's good with ice or a bit of water. 
  • Options
    Bulleit is good, but on the rocks is awesome. It brings a very enjoyable sweetness to the front of the palate
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    On the rocks is good.image
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a little ol' sample bottle if the same Bulleit and (While on the Vherf,....... this past Thursday? Tuesday?) I sipped it side by side with four roses single barrel in my usual manner (with water) And YES! The frontier bourbon is a definite YES!  It's smoother and a little sweet compared to the 4R.  Planning to get a big ol'  bottle today. 
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I want to drink at work...
    mad men drinking drinks miss blankenship
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    When I came home my wife was watching some show about how to hack your life, they were trying to make cheap bourbon taste like the good stuff, they fooled about half the people with a few simple additions like this article. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-to-age-whiskey-yourself_us_5640e6d2e4b0b24aee4b2ab4

"Here’s how to do it — mix the following ingredients into a 750-milliliter bottle of your favorite cheap bourbon and shake.
    • 1 tablespoon dry sherry
    • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke"
  • Options
    It may fudge the taste buds, but the hangover will tell you the truth.

• Options
    I recently tried the Ainsley Brae Highland Single Malt that was finished in a Sauternes cask. This was BY FAR the best smelling whiskey I have ever tried. And it was incredibly smooth. I found it at Total Wine, and if anyone has a chance to try it, it's worth every penny (which isn't much at $40). Definitely one of the best whiskeys I've had recently, and the price just made it so much better.

• Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Nolagizmo said:

Got the weekend off some how. Gonna start in on some of this. It was on clearance. Hope it sips well.
    I love the Rye version. that one is good too! 
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Got way into bourbon the past several months myself and have grown the collection. Moved to a new house, yes finally a house and not some POS apartment LOL, here is the liquor cabinets... all of the shelving is 3 deep.

EDIT: Apparently I no longer know how to post pics on the new forum layout... SMH

Brett
    Post edited by 90+_Irishman on
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Having gone through a bottle each of Woodford Reserve, Four Roses Small Batch, and Bulleit Frontier Bourbon,  I'm taking a break to drink down the bottles of rum that I've accumulated.  I'll circle back to Bourborn in a bit, my preferences were Woodford then Four Roses and then Bulleit.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was lucky enough that last week I was able to herf with Ben Hanks when he was out this direction, and we polished off about the last of his 2014 George T. Stagg at 138.1 proof.... that really is the best bourbon I have ever had wow! I brought my EHT Barrel Proof Uncut Unfiltered as well as some Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof OESO 11 year 4 month bottle. Dug into those as well and they rocked, he also hit me with some amazing sticks, hope he liked what I smacked him with too.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."