Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tomintoul is very nice--the nose is floral, strong enough that I can taste it in the back of my palate. By no means sweet, but hints of bananas foster (round vanilla, nutty, banana tones), transitioning to a fruit middle; pears, then the whiskey fire transition, tapering off to a long finish (which does linger and leave a fresh/sweet finish). 

Very nice sipping stuff.

Both consumed neat.
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Never heard of Buffalo trace until today. Curious to if they make other brands I searched their site and found Wellers and old charter. I've heard of those but that's about it of the brands they make. Topping the load off with some Jim beam. Now me and Jim have a history. Not near as colorful as Jack and I history tho.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has the Bourbon Family Tree been posted here yet?  It's amazing that there's so few companies involved.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Let's try this again (the picture thing)

I picked up a bottle of Booker's and a bottle of Tomintoul 16 on Thursday. The Booker's is pretty damn amazing. About to open the Speyside and give it a try

(edit, got it to work!!)
    That Bookers is d@mned good stuff. The last couple bottles I had were 126 and 127 proof, respectively, and so smooth I sipped it from a brandy snifter. Molto buono.....  B)
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    Never heard of Buffalo trace until today. Curious to if they make other brands I searched their site and found Wellers and old charter. I've heard of those but that's about it of the brands they make. Topping the load off with some Jim beam. Now me and Jim have a history. Not near as colorful as Jack and I history tho.
    Do you even live in KY bro?
    J/K, my family lives in Eastern KY and Buffalo Trace is our favorite distillary.
    The Wellers 12 year is the same mash bill as Old Pappy and is aged in the corner ricks of the store house and not the center (like Old Pappy). Side by side, I can't tell the difference. 
  • Options
    Went by 4 roses and wild turkey on my way to WY.  Frankfort area must be a hot spot 
  • Options
    If you go to buffalo trace, call ahead and get on the hard hat tour. It is free and last about an hour. Best distillary tour in KY IMO.
  • Options
    Will do that next time I load there. Sounds kewl
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Has the Bourbon Family Tree been posted here yet?  It's amazing that there's so few companies involved.

Thanks, Chris.  I love stuff like this, and especially how this 'tree' shows the years they're aged.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Yakster said:

Thanks, Chris.  I love stuff like this, and especially how this 'tree' shows the years they're aged.

I have been a fan of WL Weller for a long time.

From rebel yell, to antique and pappy always so smooth.

Thanks for posting

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Someone had printed this Bourbon tree out at the party and we were checking off the ones that got brought.  A lot of Rye, Scotch, and Whisk(e)y there too.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I was at my local Total Wine & More the other day (I want to live there.) Not only do they have the best selection of spirits, but they have a fabulous little book called something like "Total Wine & More Guide to Spirits." It provides an incredibly user friendly overview of how different spirits (whiskey, bourbon, Scotch, rum, gin, vodka, etc.) are made and the differences between their various sub-categories. It also offers little capsule reviews of different brands of liquors and recipes. Best thing is it's free. They could have easily charged for this (and I would have bought it). 
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of Bourbon where can I get one of these? I think I have a better chance at winning the lotto.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Speaking of Bourbon where can I get one of these? I think I have a better chance at winning the lotto.

You have a better chance of finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn that is farting rainbows than finding a bottle of Pappy at a local liquor store.
    They 12 year and 20 year are released once a year. My bro and dad waited in line at two different liquor stores in KY and each store only received 6-8 bottles total.
    You have a better chance of finding WL Weller 12 year (same mash bill as Pappy), but it is getting more popular.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    For your experts here: It seems that a lot of whiskeys require or favor the use of oak barrels. Do you think this tradition was born of contingency (i.e., oak was the most common tree in the regions where these whiskeys are made), or is there something about oak itself that makes it a preferred barreling wood? If you, say, aged bourbon or Scotch in a charred barrel made of maple, ash, sycamore, birch, larch or something else, would the resulting flavors be significantly different? 
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:

You have a better chance of finding a leprechaun riding a unicorn that is farting rainbows than finding a bottle of Pappy at a local liquor store.
    They 12 year and 20 year are released once a year. My bro and dad waited in line at two different liquor stores in KY and each store only received 6-8 bottles total.
    You have a better chance of finding WL Weller 12 year (same mash bill as Pappy), but it is getting more popular.
    I believe the allotment for South Dakota last year was three bottles. 
  • Options
    raisindot said:
    For your experts here: It seems that a lot of whiskeys require or favor the use of oak barrels. Do you think this tradition was born of contingency (i.e., oak was the most common tree in the regions where these whiskeys are made), or is there something about oak itself that makes it a preferred barreling wood? If you, say, aged bourbon or Scotch in a charred barrel made of maple, ash, sycamore, birch, larch or something else, would the resulting flavors be significantly different? 
    I'm not 100% sure why it started but to be considered a "bourbon", it MUST be aged in a new, charred white oak barrel. As well as be 51% corn on the mash and not have any flavors added.
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I stop in another liquor store again. This one is nice and fancy. So maybe there is hope. Sure this high end store may get some once in a while. I told the owner that I ask at every store I stop at and before I say anything she says Zombie Dust. I have no idea what that is though so she tells me its  brewed in Munster Indiana and that it sells out instantly. 

I said nope... I am looking for some Pappy Van Winkle and she starts laughing. WTF. Tells me to buy a scratch off lotto ticket, that my odds are better than getting a bottle of Pappy.

How hell does this company stay in business? I get nearly the same response every time I ask. Crazy.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zombie dust looks good though....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Grabbed a couple of mid priced offerings to give a whirl. Utah is a control state (with aptly jacked prices), and all the profits from alcohol sales go to the state general fund and then on to children's school lunch.

So I, being of sound mind and body, do maintain that all my liquor purchases are to help the children.
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    EssPee2uEssPee2u Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    Had a glass of Walking Stick bourbon last night it wasn't bad looking for a bottle to put in my bar for the occasional moment when i want a one.
    Keep it Smokey
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    raisindot said:

The flavors would be significantly different in my opinion. The tradition started (supposedly) with Elijah Craig who exported whiskey to New Orleans. He used old fish barrels and to get the fish oils and slime out he would stuff them with straw and light it on fire, essentially burning it out. By the time the barrels got to New Orleans the whiskey had taken on characteristics of the charred oak and the patrons of the Big Easy quickly grew to love it and specifically requested that 'Bourbon' Whiskey, the whiskey from Bourbon County where Elijah Craig operated from.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this Bourbon fan ever like Scotch? I've sampled a few. (Dewars and Johnny Walker Black 12 year. and some unknown brands I've forgotten) And I don't care for any of it.  Macallan's 12 year was recommended to me by Wayne but my local store wanted $75 and I just didn't want to waste it if I ended up hating it also. Are any of you like me and seem to prefer Bourbon heavily over Scotch?

Is it the peat? Is that what gives it that medicinal taste, finish and aroma I get? And, if all good scotches have it, I doubt I will ever get to where I like it. 

DON"T SCOTCH BOMB ME DAMMIT! That's not what I want at all as I already have two bottles too many of unappreciated scotch in my cabinet. I just want some opinions, suggestions and input because I'm curious. 

I found some sample size bottles online. (3 centiliters is 1.01 fluid ounces.) Some seem really high $ for 1.01 ounces but are there any gems in this list of samples that might satisfy a Bourbon man? https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/whisky-samples/scotch/  
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Are any of you like me and seem to prefer Bourbon heavily over Scotch?

I rarely drink, so I like something smooth and flavorful. 
    To me, scotch has a metallic sharp taste to it.
    So I would say yes to your question.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Will this Bourbon fan ever like Scotch? I've sampled a few. (Dewars and Johnny Walker Black 12 year. and some unknown brands I've forgotten) And I don't care for any of it.  Macallan's 12 year was recommended to me by Wayne but my local store wanted $75 and I just didn't want to waste it if I ended up hating it also. Are any of you like me and seem to prefer Bourbon heavily over Scotch?

Is it the peat? Is that what gives it that medicinal taste, finish and aroma I get? And, if all good scotches have it, I doubt I will ever get to where I like it. 

DON"T SCOTCH BOMB ME DAMMIT! That's not what I want at all as I already have two bottles too many of unappreciated scotch in my cabinet. I just want some opinions, suggestions and input because I'm curious. 

I found some sample size bottles online. (3 centiliters is 1.01 fluid ounces.) Some seem really high $ for 1.01 ounces but are there any gems in this list of samples that might satisfy a Bourbon man? https://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/whisky-samples/scotch/  
    I'm like you brutha. I can't stand scotch but I love bourbon! I'll drink just about any bourbon even the rot gut stuff over good scorch. Heck I grew up around good scotch, I drank it then because that's what was around. Now I'm home in the states I will not waver from my drink of choice. I like bourbon.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @Bob_Luken do the master of malt sampler thing--makes it a little more approachable, and if it is not to your liking you are not stuck with a fifth!

Try any Speyside (there are bunches) that is finished in a sherry cask. A little more spendy, but The Balvenie Doublewood 12 is a good one, and if you want to try something different, try Balvenie Caribbean cask. Tomintoul is another nice one.

Keep in mind with Irish you are not going to get the peaty tones. If you can find Connemara, Green Spot, or Knappogue, those are good ones. IMHO the peat can make a strong medicine tone. Highland malts also don't have the medicinal finish.

The thing with whiskey/whisky, it can be spendy. I know bourbon *can* tend to the expensive side (a lot of the small batch distilleries here in the US), but with most bourbon, there are dozens of really good bottles for under 25 bux.

I am a weird one--I like all sorts of beer, smokes, and whiskey. I like variety. 

I have become a huge whiskey fan because sipping it neat forces me to slow down and enjoy it. 

Hope some of this helps!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input :)
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

You might try the Balvenie lines too, the Caribean Cask is surprisingly sweet for scotch.  Another blended scotch that is pretty good and inexpensive is Monkey Shoulder.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    And if it's the peaty flavor you don't care for, try Glenmorangie. I didn't like the peaty flavor for many years and then a forum brother (Kingofthecove) turned me on to Glenmorangie and I instantly liked scotch. It doesn't have any trace of peat to it. 

And it's only a little pricey. Around $25 - $30 for a .750. Hell, Knob Creek runs around that price point and I don't think it's bad. 

Just a little suggestion.......   B)

Edit:  can you believe these cretins censored K n o b? LOL
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Trying Bulleit Bourbon that I found on sale. Not smooth like Woodford Reserve but it's OK. Drinking it tonight on the VHerf with Four Kicks Black Belt Buckle. 
    Post edited by Yakster on