Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20:
    roland_7707:
    What type of glasses do yall drink out of? Do you have specific glasses for different types?

Well, the other day my husband was using a red solo cup ;) Ok, he was shoveling and I'm guessing didn't want to break a glass. I just have rocks glasses. I know Brett uses Glencairn glasses (you can get them on Amazon). I think I'm going to order some soon.
    bingo. If you drink almost exclusively neat the I recommend either the Glencairn or The Neat classes as they are designed for nosing and tasting whiskey poured neat and remove the vast majority of the alcohol vapor burn in the nose. Otherwise rocks glasses if you are mixing or using ice in some fashion is probably best IMHO.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I normally do mason jars.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys!! I am liking this lately. have you guys had this? Bulleit Bourbon
  • Options
    Yeah Chris, Bulleitt makes a good bourbon and decent rye and I really love their prices! Haven't tried the 10 year but the others are very solid for the price point for sure!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Yeah Chris, Bulleitt makes a good bourbon and decent rye and I really love their prices! Haven't tried the 10 year but the others are very solid for the price point for sure!
    Yup! Great bourbon in any kinda drink. Good to have around.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Edna20:
    roland_7707:
    What type of glasses do yall drink out of? Do you have specific glasses for different types?

Well, the other day my husband was using a red solo cup ;) Ok, he was shoveling and I'm guessing didn't want to break a glass. I just have rocks glasses. I know Brett uses Glencairn glasses (you can get them on Amazon). I think I'm going to order some soon.
    bingo. If you drink almost exclusively neat the I recommend either the Glencairn or The Neat classes as they are designed for nosing and tasting whiskey poured neat and remove the vast majority of the alcohol vapor burn in the nose. Otherwise rocks glasses if you are mixing or using ice in some fashion is probably best IMHO.
    +1
    I know Brett and I both prefer most bourbons neat but I highly recommend the NEAT glasses. Ultimately it's however you enjoy drinking it. I've been on vacation this past week and have been drinking neat out of rocks glass. I have enjoyed it all the same but I think there's subtle nuances I pick up more with a glencairn or NEAT glass.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    I know the rye is MGP. Not necessarily a bad thing as I think MGP makes a good rye. It's just used in lots of other places as well, Angel's Envy for example. I used to think that was a bad thing but as always, if it's good, who cares!
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    I haven't had the rye or the 10 year, maybe I will grab a bottle for our birthday to try it!! Thanks Brett for the tip!!
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    flowbee:
    90+ Irishman:
    I haven't had the rye or the 10 year, maybe I will grab a bottle for our birthday to try it!! Thanks Brett for the tip!!
    The 10 year is quite good. In my limited experience it is one of my favs.
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    I know the rye is MGP. Not necessarily a bad thing as I think MGP makes a good rye. It's just used in lots of other places as well, Angel's Envy for example. I used to think that was a bad thing but as always, if it's good, who cares!
    Totally agree with this, I do my best to let taste affect what I buy and not price tag or name and so long as it's good then I really don't care who makes it or how cheap it is, taste is king.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    flowbee:
    90+ Irishman:
    The 10 year is quite good. In my limited experience it is one of my favs.
    No problem Chris and enjoy brother ;)

And thanks for the heads up Jason will have to check that out for sure!
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Been looking at Glencairn glasses for a while and then found these. Ended up getting six of these for the price of two of the Glencairn and the reviews are very high on them. Looking forward to trying one out tonight...

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice JimmyV.

I drank some Stagg Jr. last night, and wow. Even at 134 proof, it has some of the best flavor I've tasted in whiskey so far. It's shocking. Also, a very small bit of it will give you a slight hangover ;)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Thanks and yeah that's some good stuff. With the regular Stagg so hard to find it's nice they have that at least but it's pretty hard to get itself especially for us so luckily we know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy haha.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Our guy's liquor store calls him to let him know when new stuff is coming in, lol. We're going to hit a couple of stores today, one in VA, maybe we'll get lucky and find some more. I also realized I could have it shipped to my sister's there, I don't think VA was on that list of states they wouldn't ship to!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Nice and yeah the Shipping thing is strange. Some places I have been on will ship here to NY and others won't.
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Tried the new glasses for the first time last night. Can definitely see the difference between using these and a regular glass. I went with the Four Roses Single Barrel for the first pour and it was very good of course.

Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Very nice Jimmy glad you found such a steal and that you noticed a difference as I did switching to a glass like that! For me it really does change it dramatically and greatly increases my enjoyment of any whiskey served neat :)
  • Options
    Edna20:
    Nice JimmyV.

I drank some Stagg Jr. last night, and wow. Even at 134 proof, it has some of the best flavor I've tasted in whiskey so far. It's shocking. Also, a very small bit of it will give you a slight hangover ;)
    Really glad to hear you enjoyed it so much it's one of my favs for sure!
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Edna20:
    Nice JimmyV.

Really glad to hear you enjoyed it so much it's one of my favs for sure!
    Definitely a fan of Stagg Jr. It's a great drink that highlights what a barrel proof should be in terms of flavor. The George T Stagg is that times ten which is why it's unfortunately the most sought after of the antique collection. I can only hope come October that I can get my hands on some.
  • Options
    duplicate
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been much of a bourbon man. I always preferred scotch but while I was at a company meeting I tried some Woodford Reserve. Man that was pretty good stuff so now I'm thinking maybe I need to start doing a little sampling.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    I've never been much of a bourbon man. I always preferred scotch but while I was at a company meeting I tried some Woodford Reserve. Man that was pretty good stuff so now I'm thinking maybe I need to start doing a little sampling.

Drinking the last of the Woodford Reserve tonight. Wasn't a huge fan at first, but of course enjoying it now!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Edna20:
    Rhamlin:

Drinking the last of the Woodford Reserve tonight. Wasn't a huge fan at first, but of course enjoying it now!
    Woodford is very smooth and has great drinkability which I like, just wish it had a bit more character to it that distinguished it from others. Good first world problem to have though honestly lol
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bumping this up for Shadow and well how did it end up on page 3?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Thanks to Doug D Fresh for bringing this up to me today! Knob Creek won Best Bourbon 2015 at the San Francisco Spirits Competition this year and the new Dieago Blade and Bow was rated extremely high too!

http://fredminnick.com/best-bourbon-the-shocking-winner-at-san-francisco-world-spirits-2015/
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    What do you like under $25ish that's sippable neat that won't 'turn me into a fire breathing dragon? Finding Old Weller Antique the other day has me interested in looking closer at the middle to low shelves.
  • Options
    Heaven Hill White Label is hands down my favorite cheap bourbon. Just ask Brett about it too! It's about $11-12.
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Heaven Hill White Label is hands down my favorite cheap bourbon. Just ask Brett about it too! It's about $11-12.
    Love that stuff, also Very Old Barton is terrific as well! Sometimes you can find Ridgemont Reserve 1792 for $25 or less and that one is worth it too!!
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My other stepson and I tried the Larceny two days ago. That is one rough drink. I doubt I would drink it on a regular basis so it will get a lot of bottle age on it in this house.