Home Non Cigar Related

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    90+ Irishman:
    jd50ae:
    Going to the liquor store tomorrow. It is "Senior Discount Wednesday" and I hope to buy a bunch of miniatures of all the stuff you guys have been posting. I will also get (if they have it) a bottle of "Small Batch" Four Roses. This is your fault for bringing back some really good memories. Thank you.
    Sounds great JD enjoy, I love that Four Roses for sure!

Good lineup right there! I need to grab a bottle of that Willett. Just one of those bottles that looks cool. Plus it's an exact replica of their still, just scaled down obviously :)
    Was chatting with Brett and it got me realizing that I'm rarely reaching for a rocks glass and big ice cube these days and have been enjoying everything neat. Even my barrel proofs I'm starting neat and maybe only adding a couple drops of water. I'm curious how everyone else prefers their drink?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Was chatting with Brett and it got me realizing that I'm rarely reaching for a rocks glass and big ice cube these days and have been enjoying everything neat. Even my barrel proofs I'm starting neat and maybe only adding a couple drops of water. I'm curious how everyone else prefers their drink?
    Neat almost exclusively, at least the first time or two. If I try something multiple times I might branch out, but rarely.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    D Fresh:
    Neat almost exclusively, at least the first time or two. If I try something multiple times I might branch out, but rarely.
    Same, I used to do EVERYTHING over rocks but I honestly can't remember the last time I had any spirit in a form other than neat or with a couple drops of distiller water. Old Fashioned's, Bloody Mary's and White Russians are about the only mixed drinks I do with any regularity either.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do always over ice. After getting a nice glass to nose, I've done mostly neat. sometimes will make an old fashioned. Had a Manhattan with four roses small batch while out last night and it was awesome. May start making more of those!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Since doug made me think twice. I had to go look up the Four roses LEs the past few years. So here is some info if anyone cares.
    JHewey:
    Since doug made me think twice. I had to go look up the Four roses LEs the past few years. So here is some info if anyone cares.
    Yeah that's my fault. I had read most were around 12 years so I made an incorrect assumption. It's a shame they discontinued the LE but when you can find the same mashbill from a private barrel that's pretty sweet
    Four roses has to be the most confusing company I've ever seen. It's like the Viaje of bourbon.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Four roses has to be the most confusing company I've ever seen. It's like the Viaje of bourbon.
    Very true. But if you need to know anything. Let me know. I read alot and I think I have four roses down. Lol.
    JHewey:
    Ken Light:
    Very true. But if you need to know anything. Let me know. I read alot and I think I have four roses down. Lol.
    Agree with this and also agree that Justin is the best resource concerning Four Roses that I'm aware of, great stuff Justin thanks for sharing!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    JHewey:
    Ken Light:
    Agree with this and also agree that Justin is the best resource concerning Four Roses that I'm aware of, great stuff Justin thanks for sharing!

I seldom have more then 1 drink if I am out. I may have 3 when I am home and those are usually of the mixed variety. But thanks to the Irishman I was glued to my chair past midnight drinking "Four Roses Small Batch", churning up some long forgotten good memory's.......Thanks You.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oopsies
    I'm just going to leave this here and walk away slowly...

Californians try bourbon
    Ken Light:

Californians try bourbon
    LMFAO! The guy in the vest is someone I could not be friends with LOL. Is he eating a bagel in between tastings?
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Ken Light:

Californians try bourbon
    LMFAO! The guy in the vest is someone I could not be friends with LOL. Is he eating a bagel in between tastings?

Bahahahahaha, thanks for sharing. I love the blonde girl and the bald guy. The guy in the vest was going to lose his cookies, that was me the first few times I had bourbon.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    If there's any Wild Turkey fans out there that really want the Diamond, let me know. I saw a couple at one of the liquor stores by me.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked this shopping list up at the liquor store today. The bourbon trend has almost a complete page (separate sections for Other Whiskey, Flavored, blended, Canadian, Irish, single malt and blended scotch). And there are a lot of new brands in the store that are not on this list.
    Very very cool Sherm thanks for sharing, you tried the Callamut by chance?
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not yet. Any good?
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poured some of the four roses last night and tonight and I well be going to go grab the last two bottles they have tomorrow. The long finish is incredible on this spirit.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    rsherman24:
    No, not yet. Any good?
    No clue hence why i was curious, the bittle kinda catches my eye and curious if the liquid inside is any good lol.
    avengethis:
    Poured some of the four roses last night and tonight and I well be going to go grab the last two bottles they have tomorrow. The long finish is incredible on this spirit.
    Glad to hear Brad I am also a true believer when it comes to 4R now for sure, I blame Justin as he talked me into trying them lol.
  • buffalodavebuffalodave Posts: 29
    I have recently purchased and am out of or almost out of the following...Elijah Craig 12, Glenmorangie 12 & Yamazaki 12 1- any recommendation for similar priced/styles. Very new to scotch, bourbon and whiskey but have really enjoyed them 2-any recommendation for a scotch that's a step up but won't kill the bank account? Maybe like $60-80 Thanks guys!
    buffalodave:
    I have recently purchased and am out of or almost out of the following...Elijah Craig 12, Glenmorangie 12 & Yamazaki 12 1- any recommendation for similar priced/styles. Very new to scotch, bourbon and whiskey but have really enjoyed them 2-any recommendation for a scotch that's a step up but won't kill the bank account? Maybe like $60-80 Thanks guys!
    Yeah, congrats Dave first off and hope these help! For the Elijah Craig I would point you to the Eagle Rare 10 year Single Barrel, or the Four Roses Small Batch. All three of those are pretty much the same price point and same quality and delish etc. As for the Glenmorangie, I would point you to Macallan 10 year fine oak or 12 year, bit more expensive but not too much and I think you will like it much much better than the Glenmorangie. The Yamazaki 12 is terrific and a great example of Japanese whiskey that I love, try out the Hibiki 12 year for similar but different ;)

As for the 2nd one on scotch, on the cheaper side for very smokey and peaty would be Highland Park 12 year, for more expensive but much better I would say Talker 10 year for smoky and peaty again. On the expensive side but one of the best scotches and values out there I would say the Lagavulin 16 year (I think it is 16 year lol) for around $80-100 depending on where you are and sales etc. I also would once again point you in the Macallan 12 year realm, or the Balvenie 12 year Doublewood or the 14 year Caribbean Cask. Or my personal fav (its a smokey peaty guy again which is what I like) would be the Cragganmoore 12 year, that is the one that made me fall in love with scotch in the first place!

Happy hunting and best of luck!!!! Cheers
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this thread is up, I have a question for those bourbon drinkers.
    I know very little about bourbon, for that matter any whiskey, as I rarely drink.
    But last night, the wife and I watched a show called Bourbontucky. Kind of interesting and they showed a bourbon in a cool bottle called Blanton's Single Barrel. Evidently they are affiliated with Buffalo Trace.

I'm a sucker for cool bottles, but I also like to sip the liquor every once in a while, so has anyone ever had Blanton's?
    It's not a terrible price, about $45-50 bottle. But it's a single barrel, so I have to take that into consideration.

Anyways, I was curious what the bourbon drinkers thought of it.

Since I am on the mend, I'm considering a toast to myself. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I know very little about bourbon, for that matter any whiskey, as I rarely drink.
    But last night, the wife and I watched a show called Bourbontucky. Kind of interesting and they showed a bourbon in a cool bottle called Blanton's Single Barrel. Evidently they are affiliated with Buffalo Trace.

I'm a sucker for cool bottles, but I also like to sip the liquor every once in a while, so has anyone ever had Blanton's?
    It's not a terrible price, about $45-50 bottle. But it's a single barrel, so I have to take that into consideration.

Just starting my own Bourbon journey and have not had the Blanton's yet but I know a lot of people seem to like it. The main reason I haven't gotten it yet is price. It's usually around $60 everywhere I've seen it and when there are cheaper Single Barrel offerings out there, like Four Roses for example which is outstanding, for around $40 and under it makes it tough to drop $60. I will definitely get some eventually but still exploring and building the Bar with some less expensive options.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

0patience:

I like Blanton's and would definitely recommend it. If you like cool bottles, the Willett Pot Still is another good bourbon for roughly the same cost
    D Fresh:
    0patience:

I like Blanton's and would definitely recommend it. If you like cool bottles, the Willett Pot Still is another good bourbon for roughly the same cost
    That Willet Pot Still bottle is really cool looking. Very interesting.
    My problem is that when I buy liquor, I'm a visual buyer. More often than not, the bottle will sit for quite some time before it gets opened. So the visual appeal of it is as much of a factor as the liquor for me.
    Thanks for posting that one. I like it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience:
    D Fresh:
    0patience:

That Willet Pot Still bottle is really cool looking. Very interesting.
    My problem is that when I buy liquor, I'm a visual buyer. More often than not, the bottle will sit for quite some time before it gets opened. So the visual appeal of it is as much of a factor as the liquor for me.
    Thanks for posting that one. I like it.
    Both the Willet and the Blantons are awesome bottles and great drinks, wouldn't be disappointed with either! I would also throw in Angel's Envy in to your list, same price typical a beautiful bottle AND a delish dram!
    I've looked at the Angel's Envy. I really liked the look of it.
    Now I've got 3 ideas of cool bottles and recommended liquors.
    Come this summer, I may have to start looking for them. I know the local has the Blanton's.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: