The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    So looks like there will be no 2015 Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition or any other year after 2014.... Sad day. Oh btw, nearly 4 years here at Ccom and I still don't know how to make a link clickable so if you know how please do so lol.

http://fredminnick.com/bourbon-shortage-four-roses-ends-limited-edition-single-barrel/
    Thanks a fn lot!!!! KILL THE MESSENGER!!!!!!lol
    I think yall have been doing a damn good job at trying the past week or two lol.
    haha, just kidding. Yea sad news!!!! Thanks for keeping us informed
    No problem and yeah sad news :( Lots of examples of this, Very Old Barton removing their number, jim beam black doing theirs etc. Guess the reports of there being a shortage of older barrels isn't over exaggerated as much as some thought. Fairly interesting reads out there I've been reading, had no idea there was a shortage until I stumbled across them. Oh and a big thank you to Justin Hewey for bringing this to my attention and sharing, thanks bro!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    It's not so much of a shortage as it is more unable to keep up with the whiskey boom of the past few years, many distillers in Scotland can't keep up either. Wild Turkey's 101 proof rye should be finally hitting stores again shortly as well, for the past 2+ years it's usually been only available at the WT distillery
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I'm also not sure if I like how many companies (mostly the Scotch Whiskey related ones) are removing age statements from their expressions, I love my Talisker 10 and will add the Talisker 18 to my collection soon, however not knowing the age of the Talisker Storm expression, I'm kind of on the fence about buying it. I read "It's everything you love about Talisker 10 amped up" or something like that. I kind of understand it's a crutch to have 10 year+ whiskey readily available to the masses and downtime while stocks age means no money incoming. Don't really have a finishing thought so ending it here.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    I'm also not sure if I like how many companies (mostly the Scotch Whiskey related ones) are removing age statements from their expressions, I love my Talisker 10 and will add the Talisker 18 to my collection soon, however not knowing the age of the Talisker Storm expression, I'm kind of on the fence about buying it. I read "It's everything you love about Talisker 10 amped up" or something like that. I kind of understand it's a crutch to have 10 year+ whiskey readily available to the masses and downtime while stocks age means no money incoming. Don't really have a finishing thought so ending it here.
    I love Talisker 10. I have wondered ab the 18. I've seen mixed reviews on the storm and 57. I'll probably just stick with the 10.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Hayblet:
    I love Talisker 10. I have wondered ab the 18. I've seen mixed reviews on the storm and 57. I'll probably just stick with the 10.
    Roman pointed me highly to the Talisker Storm since I loved the Ardbeg Nam Beist he let me try back in the Chicago herf. I'm going to give it a try when I do a scotch next unless I pick up a different Ardbeg lol.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Hayblet:
    Roman pointed me highly to the Talisker Storm since I loved the Ardbeg Nam Beist he let me try back in the Chicago herf. I'm going to give it a try when I do a scotch next unless I pick up a different Ardbeg lol.
    If you do try the storm, let us know! The 10 is probably my favorite scotch so far.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    Hayblet:
    If you do try the storm, let us know! The 10 is probably my favorite scotch so far.
    Absolutely :)
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to get this for me,, Im tapped out
    Anyone????

https://www.caskers.com/mortlach-25-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky/?utm_source=Caskers+Members&utm_campaign=f382cf9262-Pepper6&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9cb813dba9-f382cf9262-22012293

OK OK I'll settle for the 18 yr or the Macallan rare cask ;O)
    interesting read though on the Mortlach
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Anyone want to get this for me,, Im tapped out
    Anyone????

https://www.caskers.com/mortlach-25-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky/?utm_source=Caskers+Members&utm_campaign=f382cf9262-Pepper6&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9cb813dba9-f382cf9262-22012293

OK OK I'll settle for the 18 yr or the Macallan rare cask ;O)
    interesting read though on the Mortlach
    Hahahahahahahahahaha love it Rudy ;)
  • Options
    I figure this is as good as any place to ask: anyone here use the "Distilld" app? Brett turned me onto it and it's really cool. You can easily look up almost any whiskey and read ab it and see reviews. I like the cabinet feature where you can keep track of what you've tried and what you have on hand.

I ask because you can follow users and read reviews they post. Love to read what you guys are drinking if anyone uses the app. I'd recommend it. Usually these apps seem like more work to keep up with than its worth, but this one is pretty easy to use and has some good info and functions.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I figure this is as good as any place to ask: anyone here use the "Distilld" app? Brett turned me onto it and it's really cool. You can easily look up almost any whiskey and read ab it and see reviews. I like the cabinet feature where you can keep track of what you've tried and what you have on hand.

I ask because you can follow users and read reviews they post. Love to read what you guys are drinking if anyone uses the app. I'd recommend it. Usually these apps seem like more work to keep up with than its worth, but this one is pretty easy to use and has some good info and functions.
    ill take a look
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:

ill take a look
    Glad you like it Gray and that you are using it too. Anyone who does jump on look me up, Brett Jarman. Sipping on a bit of Four Roses Small Batch as I type this, lunch break working at home rocks :)
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:

ill take a look
    Sure, I'm Gray Forlines on there.
  • Options
    Four Roses Small Batch

Nose: The nose is heavy with vanilla which mainly dominates up front, but slowly notes of spice and sweet corn filter in with toffee and leather and char.

Palate: Right off the bat you get a hint of the rye spice and start expecting it to build but it doesn't and just starts to fade into the background while the vanilla and sweet corn to a slow building burn that never gets harsh and is quite subdued and long. The vanilla which was so strong on the nose makes its debut here too but comes out strongest on the finish with some char and oak with a caramelized sugar finish. Terrific bourbon and is impossible to beat for the price!

• Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Sounds great and will definitely add it to the list. Had my first bit of 1792 last night and it was great. Definitely a sweeter bourbon but had some nice spice to it as well. For the $20-25 price it's a fantastic choice fo sho.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Oh also, just watched a bourbon documentary called "Bourbontucky." it was very cool. Nothing really new if you're already into bourbon, bit has some cool interviews with the big guys in the industry and shows lots of the distilleries.
  • Options
    jimmyv723:
    Sounds great and will definitely add it to the list. Had my first bit of 1792 last night and it was great. Definitely a sweeter bourbon but had some nice spice to it as well. For the $20-25 price it's a fantastic choice fo sho.
    Thanks Jim, and yeah the 1792 is my fav so far in that price range, hope the prices don't keep going up on it because it drinks like most $30-40/bottles IMHO.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Oh also, just watched a bourbon documentary called "Bourbontucky." it was very cool. Nothing really new if you're already into bourbon, bit has some cool interviews with the big guys in the industry and shows lots of the distilleries.
    Way cool, will try to find it. Any clue if it's on Hulu or Netflix?
  • Options
    No clue... we have directv and it may have been exclusive?? I haven't looked though. It just came on last night.
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I think its on YouTube though.
  • Options
    Cool thanks Gang :)
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Thanks,,Ill definitely check it out. I love this type of stuff, Heres another
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    No clue... we have directv and it may have been exclusive?? I haven't looked though. It just came on last night.
    Watched the same thing. It was a Directv documentary. Some interesting stuff though. It's been a complete bourbon weekend for me after hitting some distilleries. Good times!
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Gray4lines:
    Watched the same thing. It was a Directv documentary. Some interesting stuff though. It's been a complete bourbon weekend for me after hitting some distilleries. Good times!
    Awesome Doug, glad to hear!
  • Options
    Thanks man. I think you got most of the pictures. I'll post them when I have a little more time.
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    Thanks man. I think you got most of the pictures. I'll post them when I have a little more time.
    Awesome, glad you had such a blast on the Bourbon Trail and awesome pick ups brother :)
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Gray4lines:
    Thanks,,Ill definitely check it out. I love this type of stuff, Heres another

That was cool to watch. Interesting seeing how the different Countries go about it and how they strted and how much they actually put out each day/month/year. Found this cool layout of a Bourbon Family Tree too that shows which companies make and/or are involved with different Bourbons.

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Since Gray had mentioned it in the other thread and I had touched on it, figured I would post this cheat sheet. The basic recipe is O _ S _. The O signifies Four Roses and the S signifies Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The first blank is the mashbill. The second is the yeast code. So a couple examples would be OESK or OBSV. Hope this helps decipher what you might see on the shelves.

• Options
    D Fresh:
    Since Gray had mentioned it in the other thread and I had touched on it, figured I would post this cheat sheet. The basic recipe is O _ S _. The O signifies Four Roses and the S signifies Straight Bourbon Whiskey. The first blank is the mashbill. The second is the yeast code. So a couple examples would be OESK or OBSV. Hope this helps decipher what you might see on the shelves.

Awesome, thanks!
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    D Fresh:

To add to that. Here you go.